Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

$1k a month for a car payment.

l

o

l

Add insurance, gas, and maintenance and it comes to at least half his base pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No, guys, see, he's getting out in 2.5 years to go to med school, he'll be fine

-ally able to say he had his car repossessed like a good TACP airman

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Sormus posted:

the boring answer is that GT-R is the newest Skyline. They just dropped the Skyline name.

no, they still sell the skyline in japan, and over here they sell it as the infiniti g/q40 series

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's pretty much a Skyline right? (I don't really know cars :ohdear:) One of my favorite parts of being stationed at Kadena was E-3 paying over 10 grand for a car older than they are and never being able to do anything because they're "broke".

It is a Skyline.

With the 32 and 34 series (possibly earlier editions) they called the super awesome AWD hopped up on coke package the R series. When they designed the new one it was built to sell in the states and knowing that outside of the gigantic car nerds and anime fans no one would recognize the Skyline name. So they called it the most generic name possible to market to people who could actually afford it.

It's essentially a $107,000 rolling blow job with a finger tease.

I mean it's the kind of experience that will change your life.

It is also something that a 26 year old enlisted idiot should have.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I want to see his first bill for new tires when they wear out.

1319 bucks for a set of 4 hankooks from tire rack, and thats just for the rubber :magical:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

1319 bucks for a set of 4 hankooks from tire rack, and thats just for the rubber :magical:

plus you can't just put in regular air, the tires are filled with nitrogen

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

plus you can't just put in regular air, the tires are filled with nitrogen

Pff, mine are filled with 80% nitrogen.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pff, mine are filled with 80% nitrogen.

but its not special datsun brand nitrogen

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
like hes not going to wrap that loving thing around a tree before the tires wear out

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

go3 posted:

like hes not going to wrap that loving thing around a tree before the tires wear out

This is the most likely result.

I still am trying to work out how he managed to get insurance on the thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The classic 'someone else just tried to buy it' ruse.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is the most likely result.

I still am trying to work out how he managed to get insurance on the thing.

I imagine he's paying out the rear end.

Comedy option: he called the General.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I kinda want to buy some shitheap on its last legs and go t-bone him.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
He said $180/m for insurance, but didn't say which company.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

because it's a lie

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

That's a little more than what I pay for a Focus so yeah I'm calling shenanigans.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

It's bullshit.

You can't insure a GT-R for that rate. With anyone. Regardless of your driving record. It's a hundred thousand dollar racing machine that Nissan managed to convince the government that it was on for roads.

gently caress. You probably can't insure a Nissan Sentra for that rate as a 26 year old male.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I bet he claims he has a $500 deductible.

Also lol if he doesn't have gap coverage.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I could add the payments to every car I've ever owned and it wouldn't total a grand a month.

I also pay less for insurance for my Corvette and Wrangler. No way he has gap insurance, and his deductible is probably stupid high with the minimum coverage he can get away with.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I mean I get that's a cool car and all but why not spend a fraction of that for something with "comparable" performance (I know that's not really possible since from that Top Gear clip the thing seems top of the line) -- I mean you have to get diminishing returns on performance vis a vis cost right?

Like does a $100,000 car drive that much better than a $50,000 car?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
^^^^ in the case of the gtr, yes, but dont really need it as a daily driver

It's bullshit.

You can't insure a GT-R for that rate. With anyone. Regardless of your driving record. It's a hundred thousand dollar racing machine that Nissan managed to convince the government that it was on for roads.

gently caress. You probably can't insure a Nissan Sentra for that rate as a 26 year old male.

:stare:

when i got out i was 22 and paying 25 bucks a month for liability on an altima dude

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, it's not just a daily driver, he bought a street legal race car.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
He said USAA for insurance. It's been a while since I talked to them about it, but I did once ask them about insuring things like GT-Rs and other supercars, and I'm pretty sure they said they won't do it. That could have changed, but either way, you're not insuring an AWD fatality accident generator at $180/mo with a $500 deductible.

e: But given the replacement value of the vehicle, it might be cheaper than we all think.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 16, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I mean I get that's a cool car and all but why not spend a fraction of that for something with "comparable" performance (I know that's not really possible since from that Top Gear clip the thing seems top of the line) -- I mean you have to get diminishing returns on performance vis a vis cost right?

Like does a $100,000 car drive that much better than a $50,000 car?

The only thing comparable to the GTR is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, which is 1/2 the price.

The GTR is worth double the price of the Evo, legitimately.

They build the engines in the Nissan factory, in an airtight enviroment, in order to minimize moisture in the air, so that the engine components don't microscopically swell/contract when they are assembling it by hand.

The tires aren't filled with regular air, it's pure nitrogen. Regular air is too unstable for the specially-made tires.

Like Clarkson said in the video I posted before, each GTR is hand-built, so each one is slightly different than the last in terms of torque/speed.

When McLaren made the F1, they had to convince governments to make laws to allow a street-legal car have a cockpit-style driver's seat.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The only thing comparable to the GTR is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, which is 1/2 the price.

The GTR is worth double the price of the Evo, legitimately.

They build the engines in the Nissan factory, in an airtight enviroment, in order to minimize moisture in the air, so that the engine components don't microscopically swell/contract when they are assembling it by hand.

The tires aren't filled with regular air, it's pure nitrogen. Regular air is too unstable for the specially-made tires.

Like Clarkson said in the video I posted before, each GTR is hand-built, so each one is slightly different than the last in terms of torque/speed.

How much of that actually makes the car better, and how much just helps you keep a stiffy when jerking off in the driver seat?

(Which is probably all the guy's insured to do)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

xthetenth posted:

How much of that actually makes the car better, and how much just helps you keep a stiffy when jerking off in the driver seat?

I'm pretty sure the nitrogen bit is just hot air

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

xthetenth posted:

the manufacturing process is legit. it's insanely well-made and designed. The Nitrogen thing is bullshit since everyone who buys one just puts in regular air.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The guy said it's his weekend car. Most likely he got USAA to insure it as a low mileage car so he can only drive like 5000 miles a year. That's the only way to get $180 a month insurance on that thing.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

I got $191/month quote to insure a GTR.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

xthetenth posted:

If there is a car worth every bit of its price tag, it's the GT-R.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm pretty sure the nitrogen bit is just hot air

Iirc the nitrogen filling is to reduce permeating through the rubber and to eliminate moisture, which reduces the change in pressure when the ties heat up.

And it's like five bux at Tire Rack.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Told my wife about the guy who bought the Nissan and is paying more than our mortgage per month on it. Her response was "Oh no, he's so stupid." I think that sums it up.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

:catstare:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
gently caress, full coverage on my Fiesta is like $100 a month. How the gently caress is USAA giving this dude 180/mo

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cole posted:

If there is a car worth every bit of its price tag, it's the GT-R.

That's a funny way to spell Z06

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

That's a funny way to spell Z06

hahahahahahahahahaha

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the manufacturing process is legit. it's insanely well-made and designed. The Nitrogen thing is bullshit since everyone who buys one just puts in regular air.

My Wrangler came with nitrogen-filled tires.

Technically that's what green caps mean, but like you said, nobody bothers going to the dealer for it. And it's completely worthless for street driving because the conditions aren't sufficiently hellish for regular air to be unstable enough to see a difference.

You said the Evo is comparable, you have no credibility in this discussion. Unless you meant they're both unreliable and stupid expensive to fix, but it's still a world of difference.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like the only junior enlisted in the world who doesn't want a big fancy high-end sports car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I feel like the only junior enlisted in the world who doesn't want a big fancy high-end sports car

same