Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I have no idea what you're going on about, but my preference would be to play games that have large enough communities in my area to reliably find opponents. That is not the case at all with all those little Osprey rulesets.

There's nothing stopping you from introducing these rule sets to these communities, unless you play at GW shops. They're easy to learn and don't take many minis at all. I think it was a 5-min explanation and ~50 min game, including setup/teardown, for our first Frostgrave game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Also, you have friends right? Talk to them about playing this cool new game you found! It's really not that hard, especially if they already have models for any other game since you can just proxy stuff to try things out. This is super easy with, say... Dark Age because the rules are free!!!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Why on earth would having to be an impromptu press ganger/outrider for a game be a selling point?

My experience with my friends and with playing pickup games with strangers is that unless a game either has a ton of marketing support or a large preexisting community, a single person trying to build a scene will work great for 2-3 months and then everyone will stop playing and move on to something else.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Why on earth would having to be an impromptu press ganger/outrider for a game be a selling point?

My experience with my friends and with playing pickup games with strangers is that unless a game either has a ton of marketing support or a large preexisting community, a single person trying to build a scene will work great for 2-3 months and then everyone will stop playing and move on to something else.

ITT we ignore the realities of gaming groups, friend

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

ITT we ignore the realities of gaming groups, friend

I'm too cool and busy to play games actually. Let me tell you about how great wizards of the coast is at managing expectations about which magic cards are currently legal to play in tournaments.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm too cool and busy to play games actually

same but unironically

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheChirurgeon posted:

same but unironically

lol jk no I'm not

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
having friends you can ask to try a new game makes you too cool

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moola posted:

having friends you can ask to try a new game makes you too cool

But what if they don't want to play the game you tried to recommend. Are you still cool?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I'm too cool and busy to play games actually. Let me tell you about how great wizards of the coast is at managing expectations about which magic cards are currently legal to play in tournaments.

And I am too chained to a company's gravity to ever contemplate deviating from their perfectly crafted jewel like wonders of games!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

And I am too chained to a company's gravity to ever contemplate deviating from their perfectly crafted jewel like wonders of games!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

I play all kinds of games my man. I'm just not interested in trying to start new communities for games that may or may not have any traction after a few months.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

But what if they don't want to play the game you tried to recommend. Are you still cool?

then you are 0 cool and should be sad and ashamed

in fact its not even worth risking tbh

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Moola posted:

I e-mailed it to Bulba

I've never seen it. Don't under any circumstances trust Bulba with anything ever. Hth

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I play all kinds of games my man. I'm just not interested in trying to start new communities for games that may or may not have any traction after a few months.

lol asking a buddy "hey wanna try out KoW?" isn't ~starting a community~

Hixson posted:

I've never seen it. Don't under any circumstances trust Bulba with anything ever. Hth

Im gonna send him an angry email in re dtext !

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You don't really need to start a community for wargames, either. IDK why people keep treating them like that, since the only games that need communities are competitive tournament games. Otherwise, just treat it like a board game you bring out every other week. That's how I treat my non x-wing minis games and it works out fine. If you want to start a campaign league, that's fine, but that's not necessary.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Having 10 or so people interested in playing casually each week is much better than just having a few opponents. You get games more consistently and you get to play against a bigger variety of armies.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
When I decided I'd had enough of WH40K, I dragooned my buddies into trying Infinity. Now all of us play that instead, because it's a more balanced and engaging game. It wasn't hard, and I used old IG figs as proxies for quite a while until I was ready to commit. YMMV :shrug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

You don't really need to start a community for wargames, either. IDK why people keep treating them like that, since the only games that need communities are competitive tournament games. Otherwise, just treat it like a board game you bring out every other week. That's how I treat my non x-wing minis games and it works out fine. If you want to start a campaign league, that's fine, but that's not necessary.

If anything, X-Wing is only minis game that I *would* treat this way

The others all promise/ask for a significantly larger time/money/space investment that makes the idea of treating them like a board game kind of silly

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
x-wing is my favourite "hey wanna try this game?" game, you dont need many ships for an intro game

Deadzone looks pretty easy to introduce to someone too

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Moola posted:

x-wing is my favourite "hey wanna try this game?" game, you dont need many ships for an intro game

Deadzone looks pretty easy to introduce to someone too

It also only requires a 3x3' table, which is pretty common, and part of what makes it so easy. I don't know what Deadzone uses, but I know KoW and Infinity both use 6x4' tables and lol at pretending that an easy board game experience requires laying sheets of plywood down on your table to create a 4-foot wide playing surface.

X-Wing also has the double-edge sword of being star wars-themed, which makes it pretty easy to explain/understand what's going on, but also immediately marks you as a star wars nerd

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

If anything, X-Wing is only minis game that I *would* treat this way

The others all promise/ask for a significantly larger time/money/space investment that makes the idea of treating them like a board game kind of silly

For warhammer? Sure. But not for frostgrave/etc that need 5-10 figures each. The games take less time than a lot of euro games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if you're already playing tabletop wargames, the bar to trying a new wargame - especially one with free rules and which basically assumes you're proxying models - is much lower.

for example with frostgrave I expect most nerds in wargaming clubs etc. can manage to come up with two wizards, a dozen rando henchmen dudes, and some scatter terrain for a 3x3 or 4x3 or 4x4 or whatever layout. You do not need to "create a community" although of course if you manage to do that, that's cool.

you can get the ebook for frostrave for $10.99 from barnes and noble! Or buy the hardback on amazon for $16.96. It is not a huge commitment where you better build a community or you've wasted your time and money.

...It's a flawed game, though. If your wizard doesn't directly kill dudes it won't level up well, so you need to modify the rules if you want to do anything other than hurl fireballs at your enemy.

TTerrible posted:

Don't point out other games shortcomings it upsets the locals.

oh wait poo poo

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 27, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

such russian racism

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I know KoW and Infinity both use 6x4' tables and lol at pretending that an easy board game experience requires laying sheets of plywood down on your table to create a 4-foot wide playing surface.

perhaps try a quick google search of infinity table sizes to know the actual answer instead of this assumption you posted here :waycool:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i really wanna see someone bugging wotc about a refund for an 18 cent card. pretty much exactly the same as a 50 dollar book right? oh whats that? you bought the new campaign book thats mostly fluff? get hosed nerd, you dont get poo poo, i dont care if you bought it for the rules :retrogames:

What was this about assumptions.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

perhaps try a quick google search of infinity table sizes to know the actual answer instead of this assumption you posted here :waycool:

gee, let's see
https://www.google.com/search?q=inf...chrome&ie=UTF-8

What's that, 4x4? oh gee that's totally different from my suggestion that you needed a 4-foot wide playing surface

This is totally a reason these are better board game-type games than X-wing, sure thing yep

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 27, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rebate = refund
6x4 = 4x4

admitting the slightest error even when the error is inconsequential to your point: impossible

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

rebate = refund
6x4 = 4x4

admitting the slightest error even when the error is inconsequential to your point: impossible

Counterpoint: gently caress you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFKxSjpXdI

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheChirurgeon posted:

please explain to me the difference in suffix bate vs. fund for the thousandth time

my GW-inspired autoerotic asphyxiation has damaged the section of my brain responsible for not being a loving idiot

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

rebate = refund
6x4 = 4x4

Actually the assumption I was calling out there was that the cost to players was 18 cents a card and not the invalidation of their whole deck, which runs a couple hundred bucks.

You're an expert on standard and the banned and restricted list though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

rebate = refund
6x4 = 4x4

Imagine living like this

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

It also only requires a 3x3' table, which is pretty common, and part of what makes it so easy. I don't know what Deadzone uses, but I know KoW and Infinity both use 6x4' tables and lol at pretending that an easy board game experience requires laying sheets of plywood down on your table to create a 4-foot wide playing surface.

Yeah the standardization of 4' as a width for wargames is very annoying because it's just big enough to be impractical. A lot of the large tables people will already have in the home always seem to fall between 3' and 4', so yeah unless you do the plywood thing or a custom table you've got to compromise and trim down deployment size or something similar. 3'x3' is absolutely way easier to find space for. I wish more games would think about reigning in the play area a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not an expert on Magic so maybe they've genuinely done this. If they have, it's despicable.

I admitted openly that I was wrong, and have already quoted this once. Can you read?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Yeah the standardization of 4' as a width for wargames is very annoying because it's just big enough to be impractical. A lot of the large tables people will already have in the home always seem to fall between 3' and 4', so yeah unless you do the plywood thing or a custom table you've got to compromise and trim down deployment size or something similar. 3'x3' is absolutely way easier to find space for. I wish more games would think about reigning in the play area a bit.

28mm really is too large of a miniatures scale for a 3x3 board unless it's a very close range skirmish game. I mean that's really the basic issue: we should be playing these games with smaller scale minis.

I can't honestly blame outfits like Infinity for choosing to go with 28mm when starting up a game, though. It means you're not trying to break into the crowded market with a game that requires people to make completely new terrain, and not be able to proxy with the collections they already have.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Leperflesh posted:

rebate = refund
6x4 = 4x4

me = gay

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't know, this all seems like a non issue to me. Osprey books are cheap and require only a few miniatures, so few that it's likely one person alone already owns enough to play. You don't have to build a community to crack it out on occasion like you would any other board game.

Getting people to play a mass battle game is much harder, but again if they were already playing a game we can assume we have the space to play and possibly even appropriate miniatures to proxy. Plus since most rules outside of GW are free or have free versions, it's not like there's any real cost.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Skirmish games really hit the sweet spot for me in terms of time to play and painting/modelling. I don't have the motivation required to paint a whole army but 10 figures that I can convert to be all unique? Sign me the gently caress up. I'd play SW:A if I had a group of friends or at least a non lovely group of aquaintances to play with, but I'd play any skirmish game given those conditions.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Actually the assumption I was calling out there was that the cost to players was 18 cents a card and not the invalidation of their whole deck, which runs a couple hundred bucks.

Its weird how Leperflesh didn't address this in his post that was responding to someone else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I admitted openly that I was wrong

Why can't you just do this for your incorrect opinions on Games Workshop?

• Locked thread