Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gyges posted:

What in the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? Is it some sort of sick burn that Kirk bungled into a cosmic level nega-burn or something? Like all the components present are neutral or good things(other than the misspeak implication of slavery) in virtually any order that they are arranged.
For one thing, her father was a Marine whose family actually has been in the US since pre-revolutionary times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Jazerus posted:

I'd be with you here except they railroaded a fellow juror to get the verdict they wanted, making it obvious that there's more to it than Joe Citizen muddling through murky legal waters.

I get that it looks shady, but without knowing exactly what was said in the jury room it's again speculation.

Jurors getting other jurors kicked off trials is really, really rare and when it does happen and there's been investigations in the past, it's usually warranted. In this particular case, the prosecution agreed to his dismissal with no challenge. Why? I don't know, but the sending of a letter like that doesn't immediately get someone bounced. It almost never happens.

If what happened is that everyone in the room was in consensus, and the holdout was saying stuff like "Sorry guys, I don't care what the law is, but I can't gently caress over my friends at the BLM like this" or anything along those lines, it sucks he got bounced but there's justifiable reasons for it.

Here's the note that was sent:

Unless that's a complete fabrication, starting deliberations with that is a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE problem. It sucks it meant acquittal, and the juror should have written that note on day one, but yeah, that juror was unfortunately a problem.

It also appears to be a note sent by just one person, so even if turned out there was one piece of poo poo on the jury, it's likely the other jurors didn't even know he did that and had no part in the removal.

I honestly can't believe he even survived voir dire. It's a fuckup from every angle. The defense should have made a cause challenge (and maybe they did and if so, then it's not their fault), the judge should have granted it, and if the prosecution had issues with his removal they should have demanded an investigation.

Regarding juror hate in general, I know it sucks when there's an unpopular verdict and I know the justice has a shitton of problems, but an environment where poo poo like this happens should never be encouraged, especially because it's not like people volunteer for jury duty. 99% of the time jurors are just trying to follow their conscience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/17/holdout-juror-in-jodi-arias-sentencing-says-shes-getting-threats/

http://people.com/crime/casey-anthony-case-juror-no-12-leaves-town/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/791804283859701760

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/791804648160190464

quote:

Wow. In debate, @MarkKirk says to Tammy Duckworth: "I had forgotten your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington." Not only borderline racist, but it's ignorant. Tammy's family--on her father's side--has served in the U.S. military since the Revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEwhcXNWM0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aerox posted:

Regarding juror hate in general, I know it sucks when there's an unpopular verdict and I know the justice has a shitton of problems, but an environment where poo poo like this happens should never be encouraged, especially because it's not like people volunteer for jury duty. 99% of the time jurors are just trying to follow their conscience.
their conscience is going to lead to more domestic terrorism.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

Maybe this time the Feds won't use kid gloves and give them 1200 FPS lead to assert their sovereign citizenship to.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Holy gently caress is Michelle aging backwards??

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I agree it's lovely that violent, anti-government forces got to play chicken with the Feds and win again but a lovely decision is always a possibility with a trial by jury, you know? I eagerly await the conviction and life-sentence on domestic terrorism charges of the black guys holding up signs reading "Honk if you think the police shouldn't be allowed to kill black people with impunity" in front of Independence Hall.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Black don't crack

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress him.

Duckworth 2024.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

Do you think that juries should decide cases by speculating about what effect the overall outcome the verdict would have on the national political climate and picking the best one?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm not reading 600 posts so I'll just skim the last page and did Y'all Qaeda seriously get acquitted?

gently caress this

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gyges posted:

Edit:
This thread has had a drastic lack of FLOTUS gifs recently

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/791717813870223360

Obama who gives no more fucks is the best Obama.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I think Barack is lucky to have her. I would be if I were him, anyway.

I'm just so happy for both of them for how cute they are as a couple and I am sad they will be leaving us shortly for post-Presidential life. :3::hf::smith: I've really taken them for granted and underrated them now that it's all coming to a close and putting things into perspective.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Endorph posted:

Well thank God, those who are killed for the sake of rural white angst will know that their killers' absolution will be to uphold the finest tradition of judicial clarity.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm not reading 600 posts so I'll just skim the last page and did Y'all Qaeda seriously get acquitted?

gently caress this
There are still other charges pending trial so maybe America still has a chance to prove that armed occupation of government facilities by white people is at least a little bit illegal?

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I cannot believe those Bundy hicks got aquitted..

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Aerox posted:

Anyway, this is way longer than I meant it to be, but these are the takeaways.

1. The Bundy's are pieces of poo poo
2. It's too bad they didn't get convicted
3. The law is really confusing and really complicated
4. Jurors don't have the same information about everything that happened as we do, and that's intentional and by design
5. Automatically blaming jurors and publicly savaging them for returning a verdict you didn't like is really bad for the justice system, really bad for America, and a really awful experience for a group of people who were probably doing the best job they could with the information they had.

Ok thanks.

This is a right good post, thanks for sharing. :)

Another, more esoteric thing we might be seeing in the verdict that hasn't been considered yet, and goes beyond simple racial bias, is the defense of constitutional right, specifically the right to assemble- to air your grievances against a government you feel you are being oppressed by. I'm not even talking about the typical romanticization of militias here, not really; I'm talking about the fact that this whole debacle can be drawn to the First Amendment, no matter how tenuous the connection may be, and there are a lot of people who are gun-shy about loving around with the bill of rights, especially the original ten. To us, these people were violent assholes, but violent assholes are still citizens. They might have broken the law to doing it, it might have led to child endangerment and the death of Tarpman, and it might have been a particularly pathetic rebellion as those things go, but all in all, the only harm they did was was to the land, so in the mind of a lot of people, that makes this peaceable assembly . Guns were taken, but they weren't used, and the only one who did use them was killed for it before he could harm anyone. It may not be peaceable to you, but for some people it was, and any action against that sort of assembly... for ANY reason, no matter how justified... is to chip away at that bedrock of freedom- to say "It's OK, the government may intervene in any form of assembly it chooses, it can just beat us or shoot us for whatever reason it likes." And if defending that right means letting some armed assholes and lovely ranchers go free, well, sometimes a little wrong must be ignored to prevent a greater one.

Is it an injustice they go free? Oh, yes it is, I wanted to see them punished for it just as much as all of you. Is this massively racist and hypocritical in light of the protest going on right now in South Dakota? gently caress yeah it is, but you have to remember: that protest wasn't on trial today, and generally speaking, lawmakers are very, very careful not to let protests like that get to trial, or if they do, won't frame it in the terms I just described. The language of the law is tricky for that very reason, for good or ill. I'm just saying there's a way to interpret this verdict beyond simply being a racist good old boy looking out for Whitey. I'm sure that played A part but I'm trying not to be cynical.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are still other charges pending trial so maybe America still has a chance to prove that armed occupation of government facilities by white people is at least a little bit illegal?
Whoa now, hombre, let's not go prejudicing the jurors. Not a good look. We have to uphold these sacred principles, even when we dislike their extremely consistent outcomes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/791809591021539332

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Oh no he said the dreaded r-word. :ohdear:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Aerox posted:

Do you think that juries should decide cases by speculating about what effect the overall outcome the verdict would have on the national political climate and picking the best one?
Considering juries dont have to tell us why they picked what they did sure why not?
Hrmmm

Option A. Huge increase in white supremacist militias during what could be the most turbulent power transition in recent memory. Charges blatantly look ignored. Minorities feel even more ignored by the legal system.

Option B. Some racist people get locked up for charges that people would agree were probably accurate. Dangerous Racist militias decrease. A tiny, tiny ember of hope forms within Minorities about the possibility of some sort of justice in the legal system.

Oh golly which should I pick I wonder.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 28, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

This confuses me. I thought George Washington was a general during the revolutionary war :confused:

Wait I just te-read it and I'm still confused. Her opponent said her PARENTS came during the revolutionary war? What?

I hope Tammy mops the floor with him

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nessus posted:

So goons posting on the internet is a threat to democracy, but a bunch of militiamen standing outside of the courthouse with guns isn't. Funny how that works out, isn't it.

Yeah that's totally what I said and I clearly approve of jury intimidation and did not say exactly the opposite.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

resurgam40 posted:

This is a right good post, thanks for sharing. :)

Another, more esoteric thing we might be seeing in the verdict that hasn't been considered yet, and goes beyond simple racial bias, is the defense of constitutional right, specifically the right to assemble- to air your grievances against a government you feel you are being oppressed by. I'm not even talking about the typical romanticization of militias here, not really; I'm talking about the fact that this whole debacle can be drawn to the First Amendment, no matter how tenuous the connection may be, and there are a lot of people who are gun-shy about loving around with the bill of rights, especially the original ten. To us, these people were violent assholes, but violent assholes are still citizens. They might have broken the law to doing it, it might have led to child endangerment and the death of Tarpman, and it might have been a particularly pathetic rebellion as those things go, but all in all, the only harm they did was was to the land, so in the mind of a lot of people, that makes this peaceable assembly . Guns were taken, but they weren't used, and the only one who did use them was killed for it before he could harm anyone. It may not be peaceable to you, but for some people it was, and any action against that sort of assembly... for ANY reason, no matter how justified... is to chip away at that bedrock of freedom- to say "It's OK, the government may intervene in any form of assembly it chooses, it can just beat us or shoot us for whatever reason it likes." And if defending that right means letting some armed assholes and lovely ranchers go free, well, sometimes a little wrong must be ignored to prevent a greater one.

Is it an injustice they go free? Oh, yes it is, I wanted to see them punished for it just as much as all of you. Is this massively racist and hypocritical in light of the protest going on right now in South Dakota? gently caress yeah it is, but you have to remember: that protest wasn't on trial today, and generally speaking, lawmakers are very, very careful not to let protests like that get to trial, or if they do, won't frame it in the terms I just described. The language of the law is tricky for that very reason, for good or ill. I'm just saying there's a way to interpret this verdict beyond simply being a racist good old boy looking out for Whitey. I'm sure that played A part but I'm trying not to be cynical.
You're right, the fact that they brought guns makes my gun-free liberal upbringing immediately yell at me that they are not making a "peaceable" assembly. I guess in the name of understanding in these divisive times, I should critically consider that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Let's hold off on calling the jury duplicitous agents of the fuckwits that constitute Y'all Quada. They're most certainly going to be interviewed to hell and back by the media following the trial, and if they're half as dumb as they seem for letting the Bundy assholes off they'll quite happily drop some "truth" on national TV. Then we can discuss what shitheads they are. As it is now we can only assume they're idiots or the prosecutor is a raving moron.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

All I can say is that I hope this inspires American law enforcement to crack down on this kind of activity much harder, clearly softballing them isn't working and these lunatics are inevitably going to start killing people if we allow them to act unchecked.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

This confuses me. I thought George Washington was a general during the revolutionary war :confused:

He ignored her white father and just assumed she was born by budding from her Thai mom, trying to mock her when she said something about having a strong military family history.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

All I can say is that I hope this inspires American law enforcement to crack down on this kind of activity much harder, clearly softballing them isn't working and these lunatics are inevitably going to start killing people if we allow them to act unchecked.
Not people: Federal employees and minorities. very different categories.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

They won't.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cops LOVE the bundy hicks

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

lozzle posted:

Oh no he said the dreaded r-word. :ohdear:

No, it's ok. The American Revolution is the only good one.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Its saddening the amount of rage I get about these loving assholes and then my mom has the gall to go "How does this affect you? Why should you care politicians get away with crime all the time"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I wonder if this is how people felt when they saw lynch mobs get off with nullification.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It'll be a rough road, Kirk has the best Powerpoint slides money can buy.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Goatman Sacks posted:

He ignored her white father and just assumed she was born by budding from her Thai mom, trying to mock her when she said something about having a strong military family history.

Jesus Christ, thanks for clearing that up

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Unless they pull something to make the Oklahoma City Bombing seem tame, that's not too likely. The Republicans deliberately killed off funding for the DHS to investigate right wing terror groups so they know that these extremists are a large source of support.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

#blackgirlmagic

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jesus Christ, thanks for clearing that up
Yeah it's definitely the one drop principle alive and well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Motto posted:

It'll be a rough road, Kirk has the best Powerpoint slides money can buy.

I think this one is best summed up by Christ What An rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're right, the fact that they brought guns makes my gun-free liberal upbringing immediately yell at me that they are not making a "peaceable" assembly. I guess in the name of understanding in these divisive times, I should critically consider that.

Bought them, and did not use them, except to show off and maybe make a pass at hunting. Nobody used their weapons on any other person or federal agent except Tarpman, and he is now dead. To an open carry person who loves his Second Amendment, yes, that makes this a peaceable assembly.

Look, I'm with you here; I don't have a gun because I have neither need nor business using one. I'm just trying to get into the head-space of a peer of the Bundys who would vote the way they did.

• Locked thread