Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

gently caress both of you, those are both awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did Big Mr. Grumpy

Base owns. Howd you pull it off?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

w00tmonger posted:

Base owns. Howd you pull it off?

Video coming in the next week but basically 3d printed little hands, glue them, pour whatever you have for goop all around them (i used fake water putty, but you could use whatever even greenstuff or clay), prime white, then paint a red opaque color, then paint with blood effects like blood for the blood God (you need a coat of red first or it's too transparent).

For the strands of gore I did this: https://youtube.com/shorts/rOhCeSYzN6M?si=_QxRNYty6fJC_Rhr

(Mainly the part with fabritac)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Some WIP bony boys I'm workin on

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did Big Mr. Grumpy

Holy poo poo, piiissss.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Not sure if this is the right thread, but is it ok to ask about Siocast impressions here? Anyone painted up some?

I've never painted (or even held) Siocast minis myself, but my caster is considering getting a machine and is asking if I would be interested in casting my minis in both metal and siocast plastic.

AFAIK the up front cost of siocast molds is higher than for metal molds, but the per mini cost would be significantly lower. As tin has jumped in price by about 100% since two years ago, the cost increase of raw material cost is up 60%, which is not the same as the cost of the mini going up by 60%, but it's still a lot. I've just don't have the experience of the material to know if it's a good idea. So it's kind of a middle ground between "full on" hard plastic minis and metal minis.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but is it ok to ask about Siocast impressions here? Anyone painted up some?

I've never painted (or even held) Siocast minis myself, but my caster is considering getting a machine and is asking if I would be interested in casting my minis in both metal and siocast plastic.

AFAIK the up front cost of siocast molds is higher than for metal molds, but the per mini cost would be significantly lower. As tin has jumped in price by about 100% since two years ago, the cost increase of raw material cost is up 60%, which is not the same as the cost of the mini going up by 60%, but it's still a lot. I've just don't have the experience of the material to know if it's a good idea. So it's kind of a middle ground between "full on" hard plastic minis and metal minis.

I don't have any direct experience but fwiw I'll point you to goobertownhobbies on YouTube, I know he's done some videos on it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

pour whatever you have for goop all around them (i used fake water putty, but you could use whatever even greenstuff or clay

modpodge is also good for this

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I have superglued my thumb to my bottle of superglue accelerant.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't have any direct experience but fwiw I'll point you to goobertownhobbies on YouTube, I know he's done some videos on it.

I've only heard bad things about it from an end-user perspective. It's simultaneously rubbery and brittle, so difficult to prep for painting (apparently mold-line removal is a pain) and extremely unfriendly to converting.

This is all anecdotal based on the painting discords I'm on, but it's been unanimous across the board.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cease to Hope posted:

That happens sometimes. I love when I apply glue to a small, hard to teach area by using a toothpick and then getting the toothpick stuck in there.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

modpodge is also good for this

You can use hot glue too, harder to shape though

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cease to Hope posted:

I had to wash my hands repeatedly the other night because I had so many spots of superglue on my fingers that I was actually pulling parts off of models I was working on. It was incredibly annoying and hilarious.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I have no idea how to find a link to it because i saw it flash past in a facebook group but someone was talking about what a nightmare the machines are and how bad siocast was at support but this is all half remembered hearsay.

I've only had one set of minis cast in siocast and they've been a bit blah as far as quality

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

rantmo posted:

I had to wash my hands repeatedly the other night because I had so many spots of superglue on my fingers that I was actually pulling parts off of models I was working on. It was incredibly annoying and hilarious.

Cease to Hope posted:

Debonder stinks and it's probably not a great idea to, like, pour it over yourself and rub it in, but it's a necessity when you're working with CA and you expect to stick to things.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I just give any really bad spots a quick swipe of nail polish remover and that generally does the trick, or at least does enough for soap and water to finish.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

grassy gnoll posted:

Debonder stinks and it's probably not a great idea to, like, pour it over yourself and rub it in, but it's a necessity when you're working with CA and you expect to stick to things.

rantmo posted:

I just give any really bad spots a quick swipe of nail polish remover and that generally does the trick, or at least does enough for soap and water to finish.

Debonder (or at least Ultralocs debonder which sometimes comes with their superglue) is pretty much just acetone as far as I'm aware, so yeah, cheap acetone based nail polish remover will do the job just fine.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

lilljonas posted:

I've painted up a siocast model for Infinity. The mold lines are more annoying to clean up because you kind of have to carve them away, but I think in the multi piece model there was like one I had to worry about? Plenty of details and things like gun barrels were straight. I didn't think anything was brittle or flimsy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

i mean, i just pulled it off, it was just amusing

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I was hoping you were still posting with it attached

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did yall know debonder melts plastic?
Like if you pour it all over an expensive model kit, it'll loving ruin it?

Did you know that poo poo? That stupid bullshit?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I figured anything that can melt super glue would melt plastic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did yall know debonder melts plastic?
Like if you pour it all over an expensive model kit, it'll loving ruin it?

Did you know that poo poo? That stupid bullshit?

yeah debonder is generally acetone or PC, which is even more potent than acetone. both of those will obliterate styrene plastic. if it's made for hobbyists, it often says not to put it on plastic models.

generally the only superglue solvent safe for styrene plastic is isopropyl alcohol, and it only weakens the glue a little bit. if iso won't do it or the model is resin, your best bet is an ultrasonic cleaner or careful mechanical removal with a blade or tool.

e: i wrote a whole effortpost about cleaning models a while back:

Cease to Hope posted:

I dunno why I wrote a whole giant effortpost for stripping paint but here it is.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I don’t have direct experience, but my understanding was that the moulds and per unit cost was cheaper for small runs, but the moulds don’t last as long, so it is less efficient for large runs.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Debonder (or at least Ultralocs debonder which sometimes comes with their superglue) is pretty much just acetone as far as I'm aware, so yeah, cheap acetone based nail polish remover will do the job just fine.

That's clearly part of it, but the Bob Smith stuff I've picked up smells strongly of cat piss, so I assume there's something ammonia-ish in there too.

I dunno, I wouldn't put it past a hobby company to take a bulk chemical and put something that does nothing but stink in it so they get their value add argument.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

That's clearly part of it, but the Bob Smith stuff I've picked up smells strongly of cat piss, so I assume there's something ammonia-ish in there too.

I dunno, I wouldn't put it past a hobby company to take a bulk chemical and put something that does nothing but stink in it so they get their value add argument.

wait, it smells like ammonia? maybe a slightly fishy smell, too? if so, that's probably a formamide then. another solvent that will destroy plastic.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

wait, it smells like ammonia? maybe a slightly fishy smell, too? if so, that's probably a formamide then. another solvent that will destroy plastic.

So it is. The SDS says greater than 95% N,N-Dimethylformamide. That's a little less awful to be bathing in than acetone, at least.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I dunno guy. It's got meth right in the name.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I grabbed some AK enamel liquid pigment. Do I need specific enamel thinner to clean up, or can I just use the same white spirits I use for oils?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Funzo posted:

I grabbed some AK enamel liquid pigment. Do I need specific enamel thinner to clean up, or can I just use the same white spirits I use for oils?

Not every oil thinner is good but white spirits are perfect.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Another cross post from the 40k thread.

Finished another Celestial Lion. This time it is a Primaris Chaplain.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I have a big dragon I primed white and have been slowly shading with blues/pinks.

Any recommendations for a wash I can use to pop into all the little wing creases etc without ruininh the cool white I've got going? I was thinking of a light blue/grey oil wash but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cease to Hope posted:

It's literally Tuesday in the best thread for it.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Friendship ended with Wyldwood, Gharagak's Sewer is my new best friend

I'm batch painting the whole combat patrol, but it is real nice to take a break from blocking in colors and make a boy table-ready

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

lilljonas posted:

Painted half a dozen of them.
Painting is fine, assembly is fine, but mold lines are a lot harder to remove and filing will cause your model to fray.
The latter is absolutely terrible and you'll be scraping away tiny threads or frayed plastic forever.
Last batch I just left the mold lines, trying to camouflage them with paint. Not worth the pain.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

w00tmonger posted:

I have a big dragon I primed white and have been slowly shading with blues/pinks.

Any recommendations for a wash I can use to pop into all the little wing creases etc without ruininh the cool white I've got going? I was thinking of a light blue/grey oil wash but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here...

Pin wash with a white contrast or speedpaint maybe? I'm sure you can do that with oils but I never have so cant speak to that (almost all of my oil washes have been yer bog standard brown/black, I really should experiment with different oils a bit more).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Thanks for all the input on siocast. It confirms what I've read otherwise that it's a very mixed bag. It also seems like QC is a big part of it, as it seems there are bigger risks of miscasts than in metal spin casting.

I'm hesitantly positive, as I don't see an end to the steady increase of shipping costs or metal prices, which will make selling larger numbers of metal minis harder and harder in the future.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

AP dark tone or citadel nuln oil + a couple drops of flow improver. That will make it flow even harder into the cracks and leave your heights largely untouched. You can do touch-ups by hand or by sponge.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Panel line with ink/contrast paint! Flood a small surface with water, then wipe it off the high spots with your thumb. Touch a brush loaded with ink to the parts still holding water, and swipe away any that got on your light highlight areas. You should be left with nicely darkened recesses and it's really quick with no special material handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did Big Mr. Grumpy

I love the base not just because it's a cool image but it gives the impression that Anger Ron is just so cross that even blood gets mad enough to reach out and swipe at things in his presence.