Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

So, uh, turns my Medikinet is extended release. Is 10mg of XR really enough to see any sort of effect?

You should be able to feel it, especially on the first day. Whether you continue feeling it actively and not just in the background of your mind is a different story. You should feel *something* though even if it's the negatives like sweating.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

XR is loving atrocious.

The cheap poo poo is. My god, I know they say generics are supposed to be the exact same as the brand name ones but they never are. Generic XR for adderall was maybe $15 for a month's supply but caused me to get weird rashes and my chest would tense up so bad I'd feel like I was having a heart attack some days. Once I got back on the $150 a month Shire brand stuff all the negative side effects went away. But now I need to spend $150 a month on medication if my spouse's insurance doesn't kick in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone here get depersonalization as a side effect of ADHD? Not being able to recognize myself in the mirror is wigging me right out.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone here get depersonalization as a side effect of ADHD? Not being able to recognize myself in the mirror is wigging me right out.

Literally because of ADHD or because of the meds? I had it when I was younger(pre-meds). It went away and came back in periods, last one being about 2-3 years ago. Haven't had it since and I'm grateful for that. Either way, definitely a possible side-effect of the meds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm not on meds yet, I've just been having these issues and German wikipedia says it can be a side effect of AHDH. It's a bit disconcerting... what if I hurt myself and don't do anything because it isn't happening to "me?"

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not on meds yet, I've just been having these issues and German wikipedia says it can be a side effect of AHDH. It's a bit disconcerting... what if I hurt myself and don't do anything because it isn't happening to "me?"

If it's that bad then you should see a doctor.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Uhh I don't think I've ever had it bad enough that I would hurt myself and not know it, but yeah I've definitely experienced depersonalization before. It happened more frequently before meds, but it does happen now too (most commonly when they wear off). I think everyone probably experiences it to some degree though, and ADHD folks just notice/focus on it more. It has never really affected my life negatively though.

We are just a huge bag of living proteins and poo poo, we're bound to have moments where we realize "what the gently caress am I?"

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 13, 2014

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

z

Bobbin Threadbear fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 14, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Has anyone had a really negative reaction to buproprion here?
My doctor was reluctant to diagnose ADD, because I came in with anxiety and depression, so first I was on 200mg and I got massive headaches, super depressed, no appetite, all that good stuff, and then I got put on 300mg of buproprion xr and 20mg of adderall. The adderall is a god send, for the first time in my life, I don't feel like my head is....cloudy? I can focus, remember and think cleary, but it doesn't last long enough. I got bumped up, and am currently on, 30mg a day with the 300mg of buproprion xr, but whenever the adderall wears off, I go back to the same way I was, I still feel so tired, I still barely sleep and I'm still kind of depressed. I have a sneaking suspicion that the buproprion is making me feel worse still

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I used it to quit smoking. First time... worked without a hitch, but I took up smoking like 7 months later. Second time it's pretty much exactly as you described but with some mania. I won't take it now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had a bad reaction to bupropion, it hosed my head up and made me VERY anxious without helping my ADHD one bit. Also mania as mentioned above.

I also quit smoking by going back on my meds after a 3 year break. I used the patch initially (before going back on meds) to start my quitting effort, plus [non-nicotine] gum to satisfy my oral fixation.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ok, so I'm not crazy. Good to know

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah you should get off the bupropion. You probably don't need anything else other than the adderall if it was just minor or moderate depression/anxiety, those usually come along with ADHD and when you get properly medicated and develop coping skills they will probably go away.

Of course I'm not a doctor but this has been my experience.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You should be able to feel it, especially on the first day. Whether you continue feeling it actively and not just in the background of your mind is a different story. You should feel *something* though even if it's the negatives like sweating.

The cheap poo poo is. My god, I know they say generics are supposed to be the exact same as the brand name ones but they never are. Generic XR for adderall was maybe $15 for a month's supply but caused me to get weird rashes and my chest would tense up so bad I'd feel like I was having a heart attack some days. Once I got back on the $150 a month Shire brand stuff all the negative side effects went away. But now I need to spend $150 a month on medication if my spouse's insurance doesn't kick in!

I only got to try something generic the pharmacist had to compose herself.
The side effects where rather bad.
I'm very curious if the results would be different with real adderall.
But there's no way to get them in europe.
Would be nice if I could get them on my holiday in the US with a prescription from a belgian doctor :D
But there isn't a chance in hell that's gonna work.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, so I'm not crazy. Good to know

I can vouch that Buproprion made me really sleepy and I think made me more anxious than usual which was pretty counter-intuitive. To its credit, though, there were a couple moments where I was randomly in a VERY good mood for absolutely no reason and I attribute that to the meds, so at certain points at least I suppose it was working as intended.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I swear my dexedrine spansules don't seem to work sometimes, it seems like they get me wired. It's only a small 5mg dose also. I recently started a college class and had to write an essay the other day, but all I had was thoughts just constantly running through my head. I couldn't stop and pick the right ones out to use. Ugh.

Anyways, just venting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone else have problems with the understanding of who they are as a person? I have gone back and forth with my psych on this that the combination of ADHD and autism has resulted in my having a chameleon personality where I just mirror whoever I'm with, and when I'm alone I'm just boring and lifeless. I am curious to see if anyone else has this just from ADHD or if this really comes from the autism alone.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So does Ritalin extended release give anyone else migraines or is it just me?

Should I call my psych and ask to try something else or ... ?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ritalin in general gave me headaches.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Ritalin in general gave me headaches.

Same here.
Together with itchy skin.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what's up with that second wind in the evenings? Is there a medical reason to explain why that happens? It's annoying as gently caress.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm three weeks into finally being medicated now and this is a goddamn godsend. There's minor things I didn't even realize were problems that seem to be fixed - since I started taking Adderall, I no longer walk around with a mild headache 16 hours of the day. I'm sleeping sounder at night. I'm less socially anxious... in fact, just less anxious in general. My novel's hit amazing strides. I'm programming again. It's incredible.

Downside, coffee was a huge part of my life for a really long time (career/minor competition barista for years) and now I can't touch the stuff without my heart trying to explode, and my jaw always feels a little clenched, but otherwise seeking help for attention issues was the best thing I've done in my life.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Does anyone find certain styles of music or specific songs particularly good for ADHD? I find pretty much all jazz and songs like Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook calming because they tend towards the unpredictable. I'd love to know if you guys experience anything similar.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How long does it usually take for Strattera to have an effect? I'm about two and a half weeks in.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

strange posted:

Does anyone find certain styles of music or specific songs particularly good for ADHD? I find pretty much all jazz and songs like Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook calming because they tend towards the unpredictable. I'd love to know if you guys experience anything similar.

I can't work with any music in the background. It's incredible annoying that I can't and wish i could learn somehow.
But when there's music playing, there isn't a chance in hell I'll be able to do anything productive.
Not because i don't like music, it's more the opposite, I get too emotionally involved.
I used to be a dj, and in part I did it because of this problem. Because when you dj, all your attention is going to the music anyway.
You're not supposed to do anything else.
When I can't take the silence while working, I 'listen' to old animated shows or tv shows that I already know.
For some strange reason this doesn't have the same distraction on me than music.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
What's the best way to approach a doctor about trying medication for ADD? I always feel weird going in and being like, "so the internet says..."

I'd really like to try something like Adderall, as it has helped a friend of mine a lot. I've never really "struggled" with ADD, but I've always had a really hard time with being easily distracted and I have really bad (and often embarrassing) problems with anger outbursts. I've noticed, if anything, I'm getting worse as I get older (33 now)

The only drugs I've been on in the same vicinity were mood / anxiety disorder drugs and they didn't really do me any good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

robotsinmyhead posted:

What's the best way to approach a doctor about trying medication for ADD? I always feel weird going in and being like, "so the internet says..."

I'd really like to try something like Adderall, as it has helped a friend of mine a lot. I've never really "struggled" with ADD, but I've always had a really hard time with being easily distracted and I have really bad (and often embarrassing) problems with anger outbursts. I've noticed, if anything, I'm getting worse as I get older (33 now)

The only drugs I've been on in the same vicinity were mood / anxiety disorder drugs and they didn't really do me any good.

Stimulants like Adderall probably aren't going to help with angry outbursts, and can actually make them worse. You need a clinical therapist, who will also be able to refer you to a psychiatrist if needed. But try therapy first or in conjunction with meds, in my opinion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Finally got my appointment with my psych tomorrow. Here's to hoping he'll give me my meds without any bullshit.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Cardiovorax posted:

Finally got my appointment with my psych tomorrow. Here's to hoping he'll give me my meds without any bullshit.

Good luck. Some psychs are assholes about ADHD meds, hope you got one of the good ones.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

He's been pretty good about giving me anything he decided I needed so far, I just hope he'll accept the various checkups I've gotten over the last two years and not make me jump through hoops like getting cardio again. I'm pretty sure I haven't developed a heart defect in the last two years.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, if you already did the hoop jumping, you should be fine. It took my doc 5 months to rule out everything besides ADD, and it was worth every second of welbutrin migraines and lexapro limp dicks. He's still not keen on giving me vyvanse, which I have heard from a couple of friends is the best med you can get for ADD, but finally getting the right treatment makes me so much more patient in this next step

On a related note, are ADD and ADHD separate conditions? I can't find a reliable answer and so far my research has said that they both have the same physiological cause and almost identical treatments, so is it just a difference in classification due to the presentation of behavioral effects or are they like autism and aspergers where they were originally different conditions and common parlance hasn't caught up with the change in definition?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Door Frame posted:

Well, if you already did the hoop jumping, you should be fine. It took my doc 5 months to rule out everything besides ADD, and it was worth every second of welbutrin migraines and lexapro limp dicks. He's still not keen on giving me vyvanse, which I have heard from a couple of friends is the best med you can get for ADD, but finally getting the right treatment makes me so much more patient in this next step

On a related note, are ADD and ADHD separate conditions? I can't find a reliable answer and so far my research has said that they both have the same physiological cause and almost identical treatments, so is it just a difference in classification due to the presentation of behavioral effects or are they like autism and aspergers where they were originally different conditions and common parlance hasn't caught up with the change in definition?

They're the same thing and they're both kind of lovely acronyms anyway. It's really an executive function disorder.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, I'm already diagnosed and all, I've got the official letter from one of the few places in the world that actually researches the stuff. I just really want to go on meds right now without having to do all the checkup stuff again. I don't really know where I left most of the paperwork and the doc might decide it's not up to date enough. I really just don't have any patience anymore, I am so sick of all this.

The Door Frame posted:

Same thing, ADHS without hyperactivity is just called "primarily inattentive." But yeah, it used to be treated as kind of separate and not everybody has heard the news yet.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Ask a question- How do we diagnose ADHD? Do I need a referral?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TheBigBad posted:

You talk to your general practitioner, who can give you a referral to a psychiatrist who is qualified to diagnose ADHD. If you already have a psychiatrist he might refer you to someone else, not all of them are qualified to diagnose it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Elderbean posted:

How long does it usually take for Strattera to have an effect? I'm about two and a half weeks in.

About a month.

Also you won't feel any different so you might be convinced it's doing nothing. But gradually you'll find that somehow poo poo gets done. Oh, and you have to have at least 7 hrs of sleep or it won't work. But it really does work.

Source: I have started using Strattera on two separate occasions. It's rough to get started but I'm of the camp that it really does work.

I'm not on it anymore because it was only working at 100 mg for me and at that dose it was giving me nausea.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, it worked for me too after a few weeks (even at the lowest dose), but the side effects were so nasty (aggravated depression, nausea, vomiting, nonexistent appetite) that I had to drop it both times I tried. :( If I remember correctly, that's actually why one of the main reasons a lot of people don't use it.

...The other reason is that non stimulant :birddrugs: are a pain in the wallet, of course.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So far I haven't experienced any nausea and my appetite seems to be the same.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that was uncomplicated. Got me some Ritalin now, here's to hoping I don't get the hair loss.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

TheBigBad posted:

Simple answers work best, thanks. Sometimes I feel like I'm 'seeking' a certain diagnosis from my doctor because I generally do a lot of background research before I ever even make an appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Cardiovorax posted:

You talk to your general practitioner, who can give you a referral to a psychiatrist who is qualified to diagnose ADHD. If you already have a psychiatrist he might refer you to someone else, not all of them are qualified to diagnose it.

You can also be diagnosed by a neurologist. If you are already seeing one it may be worth mentioning.