Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Citizen Tayne posted:

you misspelled "labor"

yeah, sorry i'm too used to writing in english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Main Paineframe posted:

i too wish i worked in a field where employees collapse so often that ambulances are kept on call in the parking lot at all times
an amazon warehouse facility?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer parts posted:

2008 - a bunch

2000 - not that much

this is for houses, the bottom end of the 1br condo market went from about 500k down to maybe 450 and now it's like 700

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is anyone else on iOS havimg the über app pop up on app store while browsing SA?

Uber is literally disrupting me and I am mad mad mad

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tusen Takk posted:

Is anyone else on iOS havimg the über app pop up on app store while browsing SA?

is this in awful.app? maybe they're not locking down out-of-app links.

there's a bunch of lovely ad networks that basically try to spam app store links. usually it's something scummy like game of war or a candy crush knockoff, but i guess uber might be on the same ethical level?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

qirex posted:

this is for houses, the bottom end of the 1br condo market went from about 500k down to maybe 450 and now it's like 700

confirmed. our real estate agent can place us in a $600k 500sqft 1bdrm whenever we want! if we want to be within 1.1 miles of bart that goes to 800+

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

confirmed. our real estate agent can place us in a $600k 500sqft 1bdrm whenever we want! if we want to be within 1.1 miles of bart that goes to 800+

fuckin lol that you make what we make and your real estate people want to give you four times what I would ever borrow

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
here we go again

http://blog.uber.com/puppybowl

quote:

In preparation for the biggest event in canine sports history, PUPPY BOWL XI, we are teaming up with Animal Planet to deliver adoptable puppies to animal lovers across Atlanta, Baltimore, Cleveland, Dallas, DC, Denver, Indianapolis, LA, Phoenix & Seattle! Break out all the warm fuzzy feelings and get ready to go “awwww” – you’ll get to cheer on Team Ruff and Team Fluff with #UberPuppyBowl and see who will take home the title of top dog!
UBER IS DELIVERING PUPPY BOWL ON DEMAND IN 10 CITIES!

HOW IT WORKS:

Open your Uber app on Wednesday, January 28, between 11am & 3pm.
Request the “PUPPIES” option in your app. Puppy Bowl can only be delivered to offices. In DC? Enter promo code DCpuppies to unlock the option in your app.
Once the puppies arrive, you and your friends will get to enjoy 15 minutes of puppy cuteness! PRO TIP: Make sure to have an enclosed space ready for Team Ruff and Team Fluff game time!*
Found your Most Valuable Pup? All puppies are eligible for adoption!

*If you’re lucky enough to request puppies to your office, please make sure your boss or building is going to be cool with the woofs and that no one in the area is allergic. Also, having a dedicated room for puppy playtime is preferred. puppies (1)

It’s just $30 for 15 minutes of puppy playtime and every dollar from your visit is donated directly to the participating organization in your city! In most cities, you’ll also have the option of adopting that little furry friend you’ve almost certainly fallen in love with. Just ask the rep assisting with your puppy delivery. These cute little canines will be in very high demand, and #UberPuppyBowl availability will be limited. Please be patient. We’ll be working all day to make sure puppies come to play! If you can’t get a visit from the puppies today, visit the adoptable puppies in person using the links below.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT We’re teaming up with the following organizations to bring you these playful pups:
Arizona Humane Society | Atlanta Humane Society | BARCS Baltimore | Cleveland Animal Protective League | Dallas Animal Services | Denver Dumb Friends League | Humane Society of Indianapolis| Wags and Walks – LA |PAWS Seattle| Washington Area Rescue League

NEW TO UBER? Don’t let that be the reason you’re kept on the leash. Download Uber and enter the promotion code below for $20 off your first ride.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
that can't be good for the dogs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i will be boycotting the puppy bowl in spirit, but not in reality.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

puppy bowl is the best.

uber not so much.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Tusen Takk posted:

the app is basically spyware hth

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

quote:

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ultramiraculous posted:

is this in awful.app? maybe they're not locking down out-of-app links.

there's a bunch of lovely ad networks that basically try to spam app store links. usually it's something scummy like game of war or a candy crush knockoff, but i guess uber might be on the same ethical level?

it must be in safari.

iOS8 blocked the automatic app store redirects without user interaction because they were passing people off.

so what ad networks did is include a javascript bit to make a transparent overlay on the entire page that you "click" when you go to scroll. presto that's user interaction and app store redirects are enabled!

basically all dedicated online advertising companies are desperate as hell for any sort of conversions as click through rates drop like stones.

timb let us have adblock in mobile safari pls.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hey guys

guys

what if

I could

store ALL

of your

CREDIT CARDS

on

ONE CARD?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7916193/swyp-one-credit-card-to-rule-them-all

How many startups doing this does that make now?

I'm the JTAG port on a goddamned credit card

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

it must be in safari.

iOS8 blocked the automatic app store redirects without user interaction because they were passing people off.

so what ad networks did is include a javascript bit to make a transparent overlay on the entire page that you "click" when you go to scroll. presto that's user interaction and app store redirects are enabled!

basically all dedicated online advertising companies are desperate as hell for any sort of conversions as click through rates drop like stones.

timb let us have adblock in mobile safari pls.

Mercury browser has it and is better than safari In every way except when you want to copy images to send in messages

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hey guys

guys

what if

I could

store ALL

of your

CREDIT CARDS

on

ONE CARD?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7916193/swyp-one-credit-card-to-rule-them-all

How many startups doing this does that make now?

is there a proliferation of brogrammers with George Costanza style wallets filled to the brim with credit cards for "hacking credit card rewards"getting deeper in debt

because I can count on one hand the number of people who have complained about this in my entire life

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah, physical labor is so much better for people's bodies. *literally works self to death under the blazing sun because manager won't let people take water breaks*

infernal machines posted:

*is a 50 year old man who can't even bend over after destroying his joints scrubbing floors for 30 years*

Main Paineframe posted:

i too wish i worked in a field where employees collapse so often that ambulances are kept on call in the parking lot at all times

the harmfulness of Doing Labor is largely a myth perpetuated by the bourgeoisie to destroy worker solidarity

also, management negligence would also be eliminated under a Dictatorship of the Proletariat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there still no labour to do stymie

the revolution of the proletariat has been starved before it even began

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
refusing to acknowledge that there is always Labor To Do is a failure of objectivity and reason, not of a lack of labor to go around

if you fear the future where Doing Labor regains its supremacy, there will always be menial jobs such as programming, however the compensation would be commensurate to the level of Labor involved

a programmer would not starve, and that is adequate

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
reading your posts is labor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
manual labor is poo poo that humans do until they figure out a way to make a robot do it

skilled labor, which is what Stymie should actually be arguing for (begging the question that he should be arguing, or posting, at all) is how those robots are made, and is what we should focus on.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
automation/robotization is a long-sought dream by the bourgeoisie to smash the power of the worker while not replacing them entirely

it merely serves to further marginalize and oppress the proletariat and consolidate control of the means of production

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Also means that people don't need to get repetitive stress injuries by doing the same thing over and over again 12 hours a day, but that's incidental you know

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Zikan posted:

is there a proliferation of brogrammers with George Costanza style wallets filled to the brim with credit cards for "hacking credit card rewards"getting deeper in debt

because I can count on one hand the number of people who have complained about this in my entire life

it used to be that people wanting to flex their design chops made chairs

now it's wallet and wallet accessories

something super-easy, but with just enough complexity to allow for innovative design if you're good enough

you usually aren't good enough

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
working excessive hours and failure to properly job rotate are byproducts of management malfeasance demanded by the profit motive of modern capitalism

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
isnt there always always litter to pick up and sad old buildings to paint

and homeless dogs to take on walks

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

manual labor is poo poo that humans do until they figure out a way to make a robot do it

skilled labor, which is what Stymie should actually be arguing for (begging the question that he should be arguing, or posting, at all) is how those robots are made, and is what we should focus on.

hell, we've already automated away a tremendous amount of physical labor. ditch diggers don't actually exist in the modern day, because one guy with a powered backhoe can dig one in a tenth of the time it would take a full crew of ditch diggers with shovels

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

These two guys in the 50's. One of them then says he needs to farts and does it. He then begins joking about it and if i will asses a cleaning fee on him.

I did not know how to handle the situation and contemplated throwing out the bastards.It was almost horrifying. As in seriously, this is not funny. This is NOT a city Bus. This is a private car.

I dropped the idiot at his million dollar mansion. Not even a tip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

it used to be that people wanting to flex their design chops made chairs

now it's wallet and wallet accessories

something super-easy, but with just enough complexity to allow for innovative design if you're good enough

you usually aren't good enough

architect chairs never stop being funny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stymie posted:

automation/robotization is a long-sought dream by the bourgeoisie to smash the power of the worker while not replacing them entirely

it merely serves to further marginalize and oppress the proletariat and consolidate control of the means of production

the worker has never had power and it is a mythical thing, meant to keep labor's nose to the grindstone of some imaginary struggle

the smartest things capitalists ever did was let communists convince themselves that breaking rocks was Noble Work

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes because there is so much more nobility in sitting at a desk on the weekend typing away and hoping your carpal tunnel doesn't flare up again

or living in abject terror of a cell phone because at any time it can ring and take away your free time

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nature of Incident: Drug Dealers Arrested While Using Uber to Commit Crimes

Report Number: 15-2103

Location: Westlake Boulevard South of Avenida De Los Arboles, Thousand Oaks

Date & Time: 1-28-15 at 11:58 a.m.

Unit Responsible: Thousand Oaks Patrol

(S)uspects, (V)ictims, (P)arty, (D)ecedent City of Residence Age
(S) Cody Jens - Agoura Hills - 24
(S) Luke Karasiuk - Thousand Oaks - 22

Narrative:
On January 28, 2015, patrol deputies from the Thousand Oaks Police Station made an enforcement stop on a car for a vehicle code violation. The deputies soon learned the driver was operating his vehicle for the Uber taxi service. The rear seat passengers were contacted and found to be in possession of approximately one quarter pound of concentrated cannabis known as “butane honey oil” and $2000. The investigation revealed the two subjects were using Uber to drive them to a drug deal where they could sell their concentrated cannabis. Cody Jens and Luke Karasiuk were arrested for possessing a controlled substance for sale. They were both booked into the Ventura County Jail.

Concentrated Cannabis, aka honey oil, wax, or shatter, is an extremely potent drug that can contain purity levels of up to 80% of Delta 9 THC (the active ingredient in marijuana). A typical dose of honey oil is 1/10th of one gram. These individuals had well over a thousand dosage units of the product. Honey oil is extremely dangerous in that it can cause adverse events in users such as severe hallucinations and panic attacks. Honey oil is very hazardous to make since it involves a chemical reaction utilizing large amounts of butane. Frequently, labs blow up killing or maiming individuals attempting to make the product.

Prepared by: Jim Fryhoff, Captain
Media Release Date: 1-28-2015
Media Follow-Up Contact: Jim Fryhoff, Captain - 805-797-6378
Approved by: Robert Thomas, Captain

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
your entire frame of discussion is a complete construct with no basis in reality or the universe

work of any sort is not inherently more or less 'noble'. that is a human trait attached to things that rich people want poor people to do

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's almost as if we should eliminate rich people and those who Do Labor are more suited and have a stronger motivation to do so

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

anyone posting on yospos is one of the people that the proletariat is going to oust

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

keyboard vomit posted:

anyone posting on yospos is one of the people that the proletariat is going to oust

theyre not going to do a god drat thing besides murder each other on faint hope that they will become the new bourgeoisie

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i'm starting to think maybe we should stop quoting stymie again :ohdear:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the phrase do labor makes about as much sense as star trek economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!