Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With Atsuko Tanaka playing a cool cat version of the Major. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I've gotten in slice of life/comedy/drama anime in the past year or so after having previously only watched shounen/action stuff.

Some of my favorites are:

March Comes in Like a Lion
Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
A Place Further than the Universe
Laid Back Camp

I just finished Silver Spoon tonight, and while I plan to continue on with the manga, I'd like some recommendations for other shows similar to these, please!
Hyouka. It's a very relaxed show with a lot of interesting character banter, and the school festival arc is an amazing piece of lowkey comedy and character drama. The show posits itself as a mystery series but it's very, very mundane mysteries, with it mostly being a vehicle for the characters to interact, so don't expect it to be Detective Conan or anything.

Sound! Euphonium. Drama about a high school band. Incredibly good character work, both in terms of animation and writing, with lots of interesting back and forth between the two leads. Season 2 deemphasizes the relationship between the two leads in order to focus on the protagonist's own growth, which is interesting, since Season 1 treated her as kind of an observer to other characters, with most of her growth coming from other people.

Bloom into You. Lesbian romance drama with the same writer as A Place Further Than The Universe. Character dialogue is very natural, and there's an interesting push and pull between people's perceptions of each other and the reality of what the other person wants. Go with fansubs on this one, since the official subs screw up a lot of the dialogue, fyi.

Girlish Number. Comedy/drama anime about voice actresses. It's in a similar vein to Shirobako, in that it's an inside baseball thing, but it's much more cynical and pointed than Shirobako. It's not completely heartless, and most of the characters are presented as flawed people trying to get into a place in their career they're satisfied with, but some are, uh, more flawed than others. The protagonist is consistently kind of a selfish rear end in a top hat, but it gets played off well for comedy, imo. And how terrible the anime they're voicing is makes for a consistently great gag.

Encouragement of Climb. Anime about mountain climbing with a similar, though slightly more relaxed tone than Yuru Camp, with a bit more emphasis on the relationships between characters and how they grow and shift as a result of their hobbies. It's shorts, so season 1's episodes are only a few minutes each, and season 2 and three are half-length episodes. Makes for very easy watching, and it doesn't really feel handicapped by that format - if anything, it mostly just cuts out the fat so it can focus on the interactions that matter.

Chihayafuru. Similar to March Lion in that it's a drama/comedy series about a non-standard sport, though it leans way more into the comedy/sport aspects than the drama - most of the drama is romantic, since it's a shoujo series. However, it's a very good show with a lot of well-defined characters and well-executed exploration of those characters through the sport they enjoy.

Natsume Yuujinchou. Similar to March Lion in that it's about a depressed kid slowly learning to open up through the people around him, has a low-key and kind of folksy, but ultimately comfortable atmosphere. Natsume deals a lot with japanese folklore, so it's got interesting character designs and some neat alternative views of society via the youkai, though it's ultimately about the main character's growth.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

I've gotten in slice of life/comedy/drama anime in the past year or so after having previously only watched shounen/action stuff.

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

I just finished Silver Spoon tonight, and while I plan to continue on with the manga, I'd like some recommendations for other shows similar to these, please!

Off the top of my head Non Non Biyori and Barakamon should meet those needs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

This looks kind of like Nichijou, which also had a cute cat, so I will watch it.
my dude if you've never experienced azumanga daioh it is the ur-slice of life series

well not really but it's a great one, by the yotsuba author, and can be really funny at times. also yes, cute(and bitey) cats

edit: iirc the anime got a bit pervier than the manga did, but it's been...like 15 or so years since I saw it

Nanigans posted:

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

if you're cool with manga, Yotsuba is extremely chill and good. There's lots of real good, fulfilling slice of life manga, actually, but I dunno if you're into that or just anime right now. I have only read the manga of it, but there is an anime of And Yet The Town Moves, which is a surreal slice of life about some girls working in a "maid" cafe(run by a crotchety old lady who turned it into a maid cafe because she figured it'd get more money, and she looks terrible in a maid outfit) that is really just out there at times.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 27, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With a Maaya Sakamoto OP, too! :eng101:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I am compiling the list, so thanks everyone who responded!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I am compiling the list, so thanks everyone who responded!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

These shows are amazing you guys rule.

While looking for gifs from the shows/episodes I watched I came across this and I dont know what its from or the context but it made me laugh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

While looking for gifs from the shows/episodes I watched I came across this and I dont know what its from or the context but it made me laugh

That's Little Busters. There is a good reason for that gif, even if you're probably going to switch gears in your head after finding out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What are some original/standalone movies people would recommend from the last few years? I had the opportunity to actually go out and see a few (Your Name, Maquia, Liz, Night is Long) when they got theater runs, but I feel like there are probably a lot that slipped my mind between getting announced or received and becoming available in English one way or the other.

Separately, while this is more of an advisement question than a rec request, is the "Aria the __" series still worth watching as an SOL/iyashikei deal, or do the author's later actions cast too much of a weird cloud/read over it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Calamity of a Zombie Girl is a good horror B-movie from just last year, if some gore isn't a turn off

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patema Inverted is quite good and worth a watch.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Patema Inverted is quite good and worth a watch.

Seconding. I'm a huge fan of Yasuhiro Yoshiura's work overall. Lots of really clever and thoughtful sci fi.

A Silent Voice is also a great watch, though the manga is undoubtedly the superior version of the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Motto posted:

What are some original/standalone movies people would recommend from the last few years? I had the opportunity to actually go out and see a few (Your Name, Maquia, Liz, Night is Long) when they got theater runs, but I feel like there are probably a lot that slipped my mind between getting announced or received and becoming available in English one way or the other.

Separately, while this is more of an advisement question than a rec request, is the "Aria the __" series still worth watching as an SOL/iyashikei deal, or do the author's later actions cast too much of a weird cloud/read over it.
Wolf Children is a wonderful film.

Edit: wow, it came out six years ago? Jesus

Well if you've not seen it, check it out

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 1, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah how could I forget Mamoru Hosoda. Literally everything Hosoda has made is worth watching, especially Would Children and last year's Mirai.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Motto posted:

In this Corner of the World

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Coaaab posted:

In this Corner of the World
This.

Also, the Blame! movie was pretty decent.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Motto posted:

I'm blissfully unaware of any "author's later actions" (unless you mean the writing in Amanchu falling on its face after a certain point), but I love the Aria series and OVAs. It's the most comfy and relaxing show out of an entire genre of relaxing shows. If an anime was physically capable of starting a crackling wood fire in the fireplace, pouring you a hot mug of cocoa, and tucking you into bed, it would be called Aria.

Hell, it's worth watching for the beautiful bossa nova OST alone.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8cTncUup7o

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 1, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Silent Voice? Kase-san also.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

Uh, for the most part yes? I remember the manga being super chill, almost to YKK levels. Maybe I should go re-read it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

That's Little Busters. There is a good reason for that gif, even if you're probably going to switch gears in your head after finding out.

This show looks really stupid so its probably right up my alley.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's from the same guy who wrote Charlotte, Angel Beats, Clannad, Kanon and Air, so be aware that along with the stupid come the emotional crotch punches.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Of those Ive only heard of Clannad, which is apparently a really good VN story with really bad art?

Im fine with emotional twists and gut punches so that seems fine to me.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

im insanely mad about amanchu personally so i shan't go back to read Aria (plus who needs the inferior model when I could reread YKK forever) but its really up to you if you care at all like... it's not gonna make you a bad person or approving of specifically the lovely part of amanchu's writing if you watch a series adapted from a different series of hers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

aria doesn't really lean into the relationships between the girls as much as amanchu either, there's a bit of teasing but nothing so concrete that she then feels the need to undermine it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

aria doesn't really lean into the relationships between the girls as much as amanchu either, there's a bit of teasing but nothing so concrete that she then feels the need to undermine it
Aren't Akira and Aika, if not out and out in love with, at least crushing really hard on Alicia, though?

Man, I should re-read it and get out of that doubt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Aren't Akira and Aika, if not out and out in love with, at least crushing really hard on Alicia, though?

its the aria/amanchu author, what do you think

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, fair.

To stay in that riff, though: What are some series in that ilk of YKK and Aria that are absolutely for chilling and relaxing? Like, that you spend minutes starting at a two-page spread from how relaxed it looks and makes you feel.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Motto posted:

As far as stuff outside of what you mentioned a few of the highlights to me over the past few years have been In This Corner of the World, Lu Over the Wall, I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, and Haikara-san.

Except for Lu they're all directed by people who aren't household names so as far as western audiences go it sure feels like not a lot of people have seen them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Motto posted:

Without Aria I probably don't bother with Amanchu, for whatever it's worth. It was really up there as far as SOL series go at the time. Some of those seasons I have not watched in literally 10+ years so I really couldn't tell you how badly they've aged, but I at least recall being pretty satisfied with the ending when all was said and done which is not something I can say for Amanchu.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's the deal with amanchu

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Thanks for the responses.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Aika was crushing super-hard on Alphonse, with blushes and trepidation, which made the Alica stuff, which had a lot more distance, seem more like fangirling.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

What's the deal with amanchu

the entire story is built on a relationship between two girls, it's literally the emotional core of the entire work

and then like halfway through/in season 2 of the anime they introduce some random kid and have one of the girls say "well, your romantic feelings for my friend are more valuable than mine"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's dumb and lovely, thanks for the explanation friend

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Motto posted:

I'm probably showing my age a bit by thinking this is recent, but Summer Wars is absolutely fantastic imo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

the entire story is built on a relationship between two girls, it's literally the emotional core of the entire work

and then like halfway through/in season 2 of the anime they introduce some random kid and have one of the girls say "well, your romantic feelings for my friend are more valuable than mine"

Isn't that an anime only thing? Or did the manga end up doing that too?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't that an anime only thing? Or did the manga end up doing that too?

i just said "in season 2 of the anime"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The slash made me think you meant halfway through the manga and in the second season of the anime. I've not caught up to the manga in a long time, so wasn't sure if it also happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It happened in the manga before it happened in the anime. A bunch of people avoided season 2 of the anime specifically because that development had happened in the manga and they were worried the anime would do the same (which it did).