Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

MOBILE SUIT, I believe.

Nice, thanks. The whole soundtrack is awesome as all get out, but I really like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fJyxcqiVEg

I assume people have seen this already but might as well post

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom beat me to it, but yep, the Try Fighters OVA is a loving beach episode.

The basic gist of the plot is that the Try Fighters were asked to help test out some new battle systems on some islands. But oh no, their ~rivals~ are there as test pilots too! Shia, Minato, and Gyanko are on a team now because... reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Oh lord, are they actually doubling tripling-down on Assimilation Mode? :cripes:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also that Zeta there at the end is the Scramble Gundam.

It appears to be a Zeta customized to use Wing's transformation instead to make designing the model kit easier.

Also it has clear parts all over it and is clearly the Zeta, so maybe Sei built it???

EDIT: Also Shia's 00Q is called the Gundam 00 Shia Qan[t]. Either she is the laziest namer of all time, or she's trying to match the Kamiki Burning.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 12, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shia sneaking up to hide behind Sekai despite clearly not being afraid made me laugh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Also that Zeta there at the end is the Scramble Gundam.

It appears to be a Zeta customized to use Wing's transformation instead to make designing the model kit easier.

Also it has clear parts all over it and is clearly the Zeta, so maybe Sei built it???

EDIT: Also Shia's 00Q is called the Gundam 00 Shia Qan[t]. Either she is the laziest namer of all time, or she's trying to match the Kamiki Burning.

Especially when the blindingly-obvious name "Qat" is right there for the taking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, since my viewing schedule is schizophrenic, after marathoning Origin and Thunderbolt, I am back to pushing through Zeta Gundam. It's a bit of a drag at the start, isn't it? 0079 was the same where it felt like it was a little confused as to what they wanted to happen at the beginning. Kamille's mom is dead and his dad is a jackass, but they're dead now. It seems to be picking up a bit now that Jerid is trying to refocus on beating Kamille, and they seem to be heading for Colony 30 to flesh that out. I'm interested, but it needs to pick up a bit to keep me invested.

Also, the intro music is way better for the original than the toonami broadcast. I just wish the english audio was a little less sharp. There always sounds like a bit of fuzz on the edge of their recording equipment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe the difference in quality between OVAs will be similar to that of the series.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

there's this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrkwa2D4PY

I'm glad Cokkie and Cracker got into a school.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think Zeta ended up being my favorite tv show, even more so than the X Files. Its very flawed but its weird in ways i like.

Yeah the beginning of it is paced weirdly though, but I don't think its necessarily bad.

Arc how do u feel about Jerid. He is my favorite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PBS Newshour posted:

I think Zeta ended up being my favorite tv show, even more so than the X Files. Its very flawed but its weird in ways i like.

Yeah the beginning of it is paced weirdly though, but I don't think its necessarily bad.

Arc how do u feel about Jerid. He is my favorite.

I enjoy watching him fail, but they also give him motivation and he's pretty watchable for someone so pathetic. Also, driveby Amuro scene where he's just chilling on earth watching explosions in the sky.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

there's this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrkwa2D4PY

I'm glad Cokkie and Cracker got into a school.
And seem to have scarves as big as they are. Also glad to see Combattler V's Daisaku getting some new work in an actual show and not in a pachinko game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

ImpAtom beat me to it, but yep, the Try Fighters OVA is a loving beach episode.

The basic gist of the plot is that the Try Fighters were asked to help test out some new battle systems on some islands. But oh no, their ~rivals~ are there as test pilots too! Shia, Minato, and Gyanko are on a team now because... reasons.

My bet is that they probably only had time to fit Team Try Fighters, their designated opponents, and one other team in with actual screen time in an OVA so they decided to ram all the fighting characters from Try who were actually popular and likeable onto that one other team.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially when the blindingly-obvious name "Qat" is right there for the taking.

How did no one pick up on the potential for 00 Nyan[T].

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
And yey again the Lightning Gundam's upgrade is... a new backpack! :supaburn:

That likely does nothing different to the last two, and frankly clashes garishly with Lightning Gundam it's strapped to.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And yey again the Lightning Gundam's upgrade is... a new backpack! :supaburn:

That likely does nothing different to the last two, and frankly clashes garishly with Lightning Gundam it's strapped to.

I like how the guy whose role in the team is "Builds Gunpla good" is the one who never gets a new suit, instead just strapping new random crap on its back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I like how the guy whose role in the team is "Builds Gunpla good" is the one who never gets a new suit, instead just strapping new random crap on its back.

Well, his Lightning Gundam is already assembled and painted to perfection, so obviously, he wouldn't need a new suit. :effort:

It's funny how I woke up this morning, saw the IBO s02 PV and was massively excited, and then just skipped forward through the BFT OVA PV looking for something that looked vaguely exciting and didn't find anything that made me care about in the least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A beach episode sounds much more preferable than anything serious, to be honest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm assuming it's just a single episode so I'd rather see them try for laffs with established characters rather than spending that short amount of time introducing a new team that is as strong as they are one note.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I get that he's meant to be an "artistic" builder making highly-detailed realistic pieces, the problem is that the premise doesn't work in a weekly-made animated form. It looks no different than any other HG kit, and declaring "it's more powerful because I polished it/because I say so" is writing I'd expect from a child.

Nevermind every other gunpla in the show having far more interesting gimmicks and getting fully-upgraded/replaced with even better toys as the show goes on. All the Lightning gets is a new backpack... that does the same as the old backpack. Twice, now. :nallears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I never really got annoyed with Yuuma's design sense. Dude simply likes really simple, clean, basic designs instead of wild and crazy super nutty gimmick suits with multiple transformations and power up modes, there's nothing wrong with that. There's even other characters in the series who have that kind of design sensibility; aside from Dark Matter(which he was effectively mind controlled into using), all of Meijin's suits are incredibly basic, no frills designs whose gimmicks boil down to "have a lot of guns and are fast". Remember that Sei's first two masterpiece Gunpla were basically "Strike Gundam With A New Backpack And More Guns" and "Basically The Super Gundam Except With Two Beam Guns Instead Of The Long Rifle". He didn't start getting crazy until he built Star Build, which was purpose built to go to the World Tournament, a level the kids in this show haven't even really approached.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 12, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Did they add any minor scenes or anything like that to Unicorn 0096 that makes it worth giving it a rewatch?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Azran posted:

Did they add any minor scenes or anything like that to Unicorn 0096 that makes it worth giving it a rewatch?

Everything I've heard sounds insignificant at best.

At this point it appears the main value is that it provides an easier way to legally watch the series.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I was going to comment on the Try fighters ova, but I see that the posters whom I predicted would hate this thing have already posted, thus there's nothing more to add.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's just a one-off OVA and I presume that like most OVAs of that ilk it's just gonna be a thing for existing fans. Probably won't change any minds, no.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait wasn't there supposed to be an OVA for BF S1 too? What happened to that?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Last I heard the producer is still busy with something else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Srice posted:

It's just a one-off OVA and I presume that like most OVAs of that ilk it's just gonna be a thing for existing fans. Probably won't change any minds, no.

Yep. Best case scenario is it being on the level of the fun episodes of Try like the surfing Turn A episode or the last episode. It's not going to revolutionize anything.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Extreme Vs Force is on the Vita store through search. You get some themes with it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Finished Victory Gundam. The series felt like it was lacking an overall direction. The political story was largely glossed over so it seemed like Uso and co. were just running around and getting in fights for the sake of it. Outside of Shakti I didn't feel there was any real character development and some of the characters make ridiculous decisions counter to their motives (I still dont know what the gently caress Katejina was trying to accomplish). The show arbitrarily killed off characters to push the "war is hell" point, but many times those characters aren't given any screen-time or development until 10 mins before they're due to eat it (looking at you Shrike Team). The animation was pretty poor and I didn't really like the direction they took the mobile suit designs. The last 10 or so episodes cranked the insanity up to 11 when the Angels Halo started coming into play which resulted in some wtf moments (like Uso meets the swimsuit squadron, Lupe's breast obsession, Fuala born-again preaching, etc ) There were a few unintentionally funny scenes (Duker and Chronicals deaths had me laughing pretty hard) but otherwise the show was largely forgettable.

Still liked it more than ZZ though.

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2016

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Someone plz explain gouf troop

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

Goof Troop was a 90s Disney cartoon series based around the character Goofy and his son. Gouf sounds like Goof, so a meme started where people synced up Ramba Ral or Norris Packard clips to the opening theme of Goof Troop.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Philosopher King posted:

well there was a disney cartoon in the 90s called goof troop, and there's a robot in gundam called the Gouf

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goof Troop was a surprisingly good show and directly led to A Goofy Movie existing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ral is very much like goofy too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Philosopher King posted:

Best buddies, best pals.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Srice posted:

Yeah, uh...

Gundam INFO posted:

Gundam Build Fighters Try: Island Wars is a new series continuing where Gundam Build Fighters Try, which aired from October 2014 through April 2015, left off. Gundam Build Fighters Try Summer Vacation Special: You Can Be A Build Fighter Too!, airing in August, lets you get hyped up with a TV special featuring incredible clashes between amazing builds! The special will be simulcast worldwide, so don’t miss it!

I guess those earlier theories were right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, uh...

I guess those earlier theories were right.

So instead of going to the World Cup, they're going to the Orange Islands?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well

at this point

why not.

edit: Hey maybe they'll actually get a chance to use some of the OST they made for Try.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i hope that after the substantial problems they ran into coming up with choreography for 6 fighters, they've figured out something that works for the upcoming series