Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

McEnroe: what are they booing

Woodbridge: the prime minister, that's the prime minister

McEnroe: haha ok

should have dual-wielded meat pies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

You've clearly never been fishing.

I'm not the one who doesn't know the difference between a gaff and a gaffe.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

Pyne is the standardbearer of the small l liberals, I don't think he could get off the ground

Frydenberg is my guess

In this scenario Frydenberg loses his seat

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

I'm not the one who doesn't know the difference between a gaff and a gaffe.

I do, I made a mistake phone posting. I'm sorry. Let's do more posts about it though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I do, I made a mistake phone posting. I'm sorry. Let's do more posts about it though.

Realtalk I was more making a joke (and agreeing with you) about the greens being fuckup prone recently than trying to be a nitpicky dickwad, but I realise it might have come off more in the nitpick than the agreement on reread. :kiddo:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Realtalk I was more making a joke (and agreeing with you) about the greens being fuckup prone recently than trying to be a nitpicky dickwad, but I realise it might have come off more in the nitpick than the agreement on reread. :kiddo:

I was also being good natured by referring to fishing :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Too many bees in greens homeland. The problems just keep coming for lying bee hating greens. Greens said all the bees died. Sad. We'll see who brings in more honey.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

"due to bees" is a very powerful descriptor

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst I can see a huge swing against the LNP, people don't hate ScoMo the way they hated Howard. We had years to build up a hatred for that weasally fucker, and ScoMo just hasn't had enough time in charge for the Australian people to get to develop a true distaste for the man.

I think you are grossly inflating the hate against Howard. Like I am right there with you but I’ve even heard people whose first election was 2013 (they’d be in their mid 20s now) saying “look if we had someone like Howard in” “why are liberals so extreme these days” “it’s just he was in for so long so of course people get sick of it”

It’s horrifying. Feels like a sped up version of Reagan worship.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

teacup posted:

I think you are grossly inflating the hate against Howard. Like I am right there with you but I’ve even heard people whose first election was 2013 (they’d be in their mid 20s now) saying “look if we had someone like Howard in” “why are liberals so extreme these days” “it’s just he was in for so long so of course people get sick of it”

It’s horrifying. Feels like a sped up version of Reagan worship.

I love asking people who say poo poo like that what good things Howard did

The confused silence is always golden

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

iajanus posted:

The confused silence is always golden

Gun control

... and that's it

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

First time in a while watching free to air tv and holy gently caress the Clive Palmer ads. Seems like there's two or three each ad break

It's like that on the radio too. It's questionable he even has members running in most places. Despite the huge ad spend he seems kind of tired and confused compared to his last run at it, where he didn't fall asleep until after safely passing the few pieces of legislation that personally concerned him, and his campaign (though obnoxious) was somewhat cleverly targeted. Maybe it's just that in comparing himself to Trump he highlights how low energy he is in comparison. My main theory though is that his imitation extends to the rapidly declining brain function and he has just thrown his account book at an advertising agency but is otherwise only intermittently aware and committed to the bit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Gun control

... and that's it

Weirdly nobody I've asked that question has answered that. I typically prompt them with that as an example, to break the silence.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gun control

... and that's it

Middle income earners love him and credit him with the economy being good because they were receiving shitloads of welfare for no reason and think their personal wealth growing means economy good

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

JBP posted:

The party of rape and gaffs don't feel right to me.

The Greens are the party of rape the same way that Sweden is the country of rape. It sure does look worse outwardly when you aren't just sweeping it under the rug.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TomMcIlroy/status/1086869111764803584

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm irrationally upset by the framing in that photo WHY AM I LOOKING AT SO MUCH WALL AND CEILING?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

I'm irrationally upset by the framing in that photo WHY AM I LOOKING AT SO MUCH WALL AND CEILING?

What? It's landscape fit to a phone screen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Queer eye for the ScoMo guy.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Torpedoing Latham’s career into a death spiral that is going to this day.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

last I checked you'd need a 9% swing to gently caress him over.

Considering the hate Victorians have for the Liberals, it wouldn't been too much of a stretch

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gun control

... and that's it

This shits me so so much!

Howard had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do the bare minimum, (lets not sell semi automatic machine guns anymore), and wore a loving bullet proof vest to address a bunch of farmers. But now he has been quoted multiple times as saying how proud he was that he was the PM that enected gun control laws blah blah blah, look at how awesome I am.

Forgetting the fact of how hard he fought against saying sorry to the Stolen Generation, (because A they could sue, and B gently caress the abbos), how he used the phrase "black armband view of history" to describe anything that even mentioned people other than white people. Not to forget how bad WorkChoices was. Then he even managed to get some Liberal people offside by the way he hosed over Costello.

And to the guy who thinks I am over-estimating the Howard hate, whilst I get your point about people nowadays longing for the "good old days", don't forget he was a sitting PM that lost his seat. To me, Howard is directly equatable to Kennett in terms of how hated he was at the end of his political career.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

You Am I posted:

Considering the hate Victorians have for the Liberals, it wouldn't been too much of a stretch

I saw an article recently which suggested the Libs could lose all their Vic seats. I would be surprised if that happened, but not astounded. My prediction is the wipeout the Vic state Libs experienced will be extended to their federal pals (in Victoria, if not nationally).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teacup posted:

I think you are grossly inflating the hate against Howard.

Yeah Howard's approval ratings remained pretty good right up until the end, and he had a positive netsat right before the election.
Here's the final Newspoll before the 2007 election

Turnbull's netsat bounced around -20 for the past few years, and the only reason Morrison's hasn't sunk is because he hasn't genuinely annoyed the public yet.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Starshark posted:

A loose thread at the bottom of Scomo's shirt got stuck on a nail as he was walking into the office, gradually unraveling his clothes until he was naked from just below the nips. He didn't seem to notice and no one can explain why his pants also unraveled.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

"I think she will be replaced by another woman. We will see some very outstanding female candidates coming forward," he [Morrison] said.

But if you have a “merit based” system with no quotas, how can you predict a pre-selection like that :confused:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yo, does anyone have the quote from the banking commission about being unable to find a person to hire who hasn't committed any financial crimes?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Solemn Sloth posted:

But if you have a “merit based” system with no quotas, how can you predict a pre-selection like that :confused:

Also doesn't explain Wentworth.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This shits me so so much!

Absolutely agree, but whether it was kicking or screaming or not, it got done so that's the only thing I'd credit him for

JBP posted:

Middle income earners love him and credit him with the economy being good because they were receiving shitloads of welfare for no reason and think their personal wealth growing means economy good

That wasn't good policy though. I wouldn't be happy with more middle-income welfare if the dole, minimum wage and Medicare freeze all remained the same.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

My grandfather once told me I was one good job away from Howard looking after me back in the day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That wasn't good policy though. I wouldn't be happy with more middle-income welfare if the dole, minimum wage and Medicare freeze all remained the same.

No poo poo

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

And to the guy who thinks I am over-estimating the Howard hate, whilst I get your point about people nowadays longing for the "good old days", don't forget he was a sitting PM that lost his seat.

33 years after he won it, because its demographics had dramatically changed in that time. And he only barely lost it to McKew, who won it on preferences.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I was saying Boo-urns

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I suppose they were booing at a bad call.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

33 years after he won it, because its demographics had dramatically changed in that time. And he only barely lost it to McKew, who won it on preferences.

Yeah the seat changed demos wildly. Same situation as a couple of eastern Melbourne seats that barreled towards solid blue or solid red during the 80s thanks to housing development/appreciation and loads of blue collar employers leaving the area around Richmond (or straight up folding).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/pek1098/status/1086931964249010176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Turks posted:

The Greens are the party of rape the same way that Sweden is the country of rape. It sure does look worse outwardly when you aren't just sweeping it under the rug.

Hmm yes because Bob Brown certainly never ran hit pieces against those in the ACT Greens who spoke up, the NSW Greens never publisbed the name of a victim when she was assaulted by a Buckingham staffer (who ended up fleeing the country) and did absolutely nothing internally to deal with him and Buckingham and his allies never tried to dismiss everything as ~factions~ and claim that his victim is a substance abuser to try and get out of actually facing responsibility for his actions.

I mean sure Labor and the Liberals are absolutely just as bad if not worse but :laffo: if you think the Greens wouldn't rather preserve their image and/or the right wouldn't rather victim blame and shame to protect their own than actually loving deal with the rapists in the party.