Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kalit posted:

:laffo: why do you think it’s toxic to question if what you’re posting from a random person is factual? If what you were posting was credible, it would have been easy to provide the evidence

I read usnews to get pissed, not to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1475945165726654470?s=20

The woman who said Bernie Sanders made her skin crawl is an abuser enabler, not surprised.

She's got her eye on higher office, I'm sure. Doesn't want to make it TOO easy to prosecute people at the gubernatorial-or-higher level.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1476362507497488387

quote:

The Biden administration on Wednesday asked the U.S. Supreme Court whether it needed to continue to implement a Trump-era policy that has forced tens of thousands of migrants to wait in Mexico for the resolution of their U.S. asylum cases.

Democratic President Joe Biden attempted to scrap his Republican predecessor's policy - often referred to as "Remain in Mexico" - soon after taking office in January. But after Texas and Missouri sued, a federal judge ruled it had to be reinstated and an appeals court earlier this month agreed.
At least there's an attempt to stop this policy. However, I'm skeptical that SCOTUS will hear this case...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They are probably going to let the lower court ruling stand

SCOTUS ruled against Trump with the DACA termination so they would at least be consistent for once

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If the courts weren't infected with right wing ideologues bent on crushing their opposition and enforcing one-party rule on the country they would have followed their own ridiculously old precedent and not even made a judgement in the case at all. Foreign affairs have been outside the bounds of the courts authority for a long, long time on the basis that international negotiations won't work if everyone else in the world has to negotiate with any and every judge in the country individually. That SCOTUS hasn't immediately told the lower to gently caress right the hell off and stay in their lane is just one more way the entire institution is proving itself illegitimate and looking to damage the opposition above all else.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smeef posted:

Herman Cain already had one foot in the grave and another on a skateboard, though.

Absolutely not, he had colon cancer in 2006 that he beat. He didn't have "one foot in the grave", the whole "he had cancer" bit is chud cope where they don't mention that was a decade and a half ago.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

bird food bathtub posted:

If the courts weren't infected with right wing ideologues bent on crushing their opposition and enforcing one-party rule on the country they would have followed their own ridiculously old precedent and not even made a judgement in the case at all. Foreign affairs have been outside the bounds of the courts authority for a long, long time on the basis that international negotiations won't work if everyone else in the world has to negotiate with any and every judge in the country individually. That SCOTUS hasn't immediately told the lower to gently caress right the hell off and stay in their lane is just one more way the entire institution is proving itself illegitimate and looking to damage the opposition above all else.

What precedent are you specifically referring to? SCOTUS/courts have made plenty of rulings on immigration law.

And how would SCOTUS tell the lower courts to “gently caress right the hell off”? They don’t control what cases other courts hear/their rulings. To overrule the lower court’s decision, the case needs to get appealed again, the justices vote on if they want to hear it or not, and then if accepted, they hear it/make a ruling on it. But making a ruling on it is what you were saying they shouldn’t do in the first part of your post…

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 30, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Further evidence that the inflation seen so far is driven by corporate greed

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1476312427201507328

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Courts != SCOTUS. OP is clearly saying the lower court should have done different and SCOTUS should vacate

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

HonorableTB posted:

Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on trafficking

Hey at least a little good news.

Edited for quote.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I would be incredibly interested to see a breakdown by industry or something. My immediate gut response is that a huge portion of that is to anyone even tangentially involved in logistics, but if anything I enjoy data analysis even more when it proves my gut response wrong.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would be incredibly interested to see a breakdown by industry or something. My immediate gut response is that a huge portion of that is to anyone even tangentially involved in logistics, but if anything I enjoy data analysis even more when it proves my gut response wrong.

Yeah a more granular breakdown would be very useful.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think this is pre-tax information, but I found some corporate profit by industry data here: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/release/tables?rid=53&eid=18673&od=.

I was comparing it to Q3 2019 and while there were some things that took pretty big swings, a lot of it seemed to even out across the broader categories. The most surprising thing to me was the huge jump in Computer and Electronic Parts. Maybe a huge jump in sales/supporting network and server infrastructure due to a lot of people working from home?

Other durable goods also took a decent jump, does anyone know if that would include medical devices/hospital and vaccine related supplies? Or would that be under a different category?

E: Also food took a pretty big jump, so that's not really a factor into the breakdown of the core CPI. Maybe the same with utilities, since that's tied into energy? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how that would play a factor

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 30, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

i apologize for posting something that did not meet the scholarly standards of us current events december. i made the foolish mistake of assuming that the subject would be interesting to talk about, but thank you all for making it clear nothing has changed and this remains one of the most toxic threads in the entire forums.

Amazing username / post combo right here. Seriously though, the responses to your post were mild and valid.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I work with chemical commodities and I’ve inflated my margins by 30-40% across the board. All of that had direct knock on effects in areas like food packaging and architectural applications.
If you work in any kind of chemical company the deep freeze in Texas coupled with pandemic related demand for goods and services has led to massive profits and product shortages simultaneously. It was impossible to keep product stocked in warehouses.

Consumer care companies like P&G and Kimberly Clark also jacked up their prices due to lack of competition.

From profit perspective we’ve doubled it without doing anything differently compared to last year and without adding any value other than charging more for guarantees that our customers receive the forecasted volumes they expect to get.

Having said that everyone expects prices to crash down and savvy buyers to start putting insane pressure on us to drop our prices in exchange for volume and market share in Q2 2022. So thus far most us still think inflation is transitory and this party will be over.

Downstream at the consumer goods level? It’s anyones guess what will happen.

Take my sample size of like 3-4 companies and my own job with a grain of salt but I firmly believe a lot of this inflation comes from companies engaging in rent seeking and profit taking using pandemic and supply chain as an excuse.

When I’m not wearing my politics hat I feel I have to charge a higher price because the supply chain issues have literally contributed to insane stress on my part and that degree of effort and struggle to keep the product flowing is worth a 30-40% margin versus 5% even if it means I don’t really see any of the millions I’ve helped my company make.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 30, 2021

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
apparently despite the massive increases in meat prices, it's happening at some point after the ranchers sell the cows so they personally aren't making much more profit, if any more whatsoever:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/business/beef-prices-cattle-ranchers.html

quote:

Today’s record high beef prices are most directly reflective of scarce stocks, another manifestation of the Great Supply Chain Disruption accompanying the pandemic. The initial spread of the coronavirus swept through slaughterhouses, killing scores of workers, sickening thousands and halting production. That caused shortages of beef.

But the shock landed atop decades of takeovers that closed slaughterhouses. The basic laws of economics suggest what happens when the packers cut their capacity to process beef: The supply is reduced, increasing consumer prices. At the same time, fewer slaughterhouses limits the demand for live cattle, lowering prices paid to ranchers for their animals — an advantage for the packers.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

When I’m not wearing my politics hat I feel I have to charge a higher price because the supply chain issues have literally contributed to insane stress on my part and that degree of effort and struggle to keep the product flowing is worth a 30-40% margin versus 5% even if it means I don’t really see any of the millions I’ve helped my company make.
lol. What? "I'm entitled to more money for the stress that market forces have unfairly thrust upon me. And the money I'm entitled to will be taken by my employer, but meh about that part."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

When I’m not wearing my politics hat I feel I have to charge a higher price because the supply chain issues have literally contributed to insane stress on my part

Not all heroes etc

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

You know, ACAB also works for "Companies"

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

SourKraut posted:

You know, ACAB also works for "Companies"

Yes but the US is a corporatocracy, so what do you expect?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anyone know what part of the break down in the supply chain caused flamin' hot Cheetos to be out of stock for so long at so many stores?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Just get takis, ffs

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Just get takis, ffs

kroger didn't have takis last time we went so we said gently caress it and tried the fully stocked alternative of "wavy takis"

then we ate some and realized they were potato instead of corn chips and tasted like total poo poo, don't make our mistake!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Just get takis, ffs

That's usually what I suggest for a substitute when I get a request for flamin' hot Cheetos in a gorcery order, 9/10 times people are cool with it. The other 1/10 of people want flamin' hot Fritos, and I guess I can support that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyone know what part of the break down in the supply chain caused flamin' hot Cheetos to be out of stock for so long at so many stores?

Lol that's funny, because I just took a road trip and regular cheetos are a special road trip snack (flaming hot is gross) and I couldn't find them *anywhere*. Plenty of flaming hot, though. Tons of that gross poo poo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
All publicly owned companies are sociopaths, by design.

Michael Penis
Dec 15, 2021

by sebmojo

Harold Fjord posted:

All publicly owned companies are sociopaths, by design.

Except for whatever division of Frito-Lay blessed the world with Flaming Hot Cheetos.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How are u posted:

Lol that's funny, because I just took a road trip and regular cheetos are a special road trip snack (flaming hot is gross) and I couldn't find them *anywhere*. Plenty of flaming hot, though. Tons of that gross poo poo.

Honestly surprised to hear that, plenty of regular Cheetos both puffy and crunchy where I'm at but no flamin' hots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on trafficking

And Alan Dershowitz went on BBC to attack her accuser. Pretty hosed up.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1476506386964131840?s=20

Does Dershowitz still have tenure?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is Dershowitz still a creep?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Is Dershowitz still a creep?

Pretty sure that he's a forever creep given his associations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Inferior Third Season posted:

lol. What? "I'm entitled to more money for the stress that market forces have unfairly thrust upon me. And the money I'm entitled to will be taken by my employer, but meh about that part."

I should clarify. My boss expects me to do these things and I was under constant two sided pressure to max out pricing while simultaneously dealing with a never ending stream of demands from irate customers wanting any product we could provide. If margins slipped even a little I got a phone call about it. It was NOT an easy year and there were many occasions where I nearly lost my cool at people who expected me to magically teleport a cargo container that was taken off a ship because someone in China showed up with a briefcase full of cash and demanded their container get loaded instead. Meanwhile I don’t hear about it till two weeks after the fact.

Everything that ever could’ve gone wrong with my supply chain went wrong.

Then having to explain all that to a customer who demanded immediate solutions yesterday.

So it’s been an extremely challenging year that has taxed my mental health and I expect my employer to compensate me for that given that we all struggled to make them shitloads of money. But- I know this is reality and I know the best I can hope for is a prepaid credit card with 150 bucks on it and a boilerplate thank you letter. So thanks for nothing I guess.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

quote:

The policy solutions to address [inflation] look very different, depending on what you believe. Summers thinks austerity is the way to get at inflation, which is why he has been pushing to restart student loan payments, as taking money from young people means they won’t spend it on goods and services. He also wants to eliminate tariffs and Buy America provisions so that there are more cheap imports from China.

Holy moly, get loving wrecked. Why not pop the housing bubble by reducing tax breaks for mortgagers?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God please I have two kids going back to school in a week…

Booster eligibility expected for 12-15yo in coming days from FDA

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
CO is on fire, NW of Denver. In Winter. They've had maybe an inch of snow this season, winds up over 100 mph. Neighborhoods on fire.
thisisfine.jpg

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CommieGIR posted:

And Alan Dershowitz went on BBC to attack her accuser. Pretty hosed up.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1476506386964131840?s=20

Does Dershowitz still have tenure?

It’s ok … he kept his underwear on.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

CO is on fire, NW of Denver. In Winter. They've had maybe an inch of snow this season, winds up over 100 mph. Neighborhoods on fire.
thisisfine.jpg

Denver post has some pics here

This one's pretty haunting (as well as hauntingly pretty):

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's not supply chain issues that's labor. There have been a handful of work stoppages across a few factories causing shelf shortages on some products. I haven't seen any request of an organized boycott yet, so buy away if you see them.

Also Hot Cheetos and Takis are both great and vitally have different textures. We don't gotta fight.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
580 homes and a hotel confirmed destroyed so far in Superior and Louisville in CO :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ex post facho posted:

580 homes and a hotel confirmed destroyed so far in Superior and Louisville in CO :(
Holy poo poo.

Ex wife's parents lived there until a few years ago so I know that area well. Mcmansions on top of Mcmansions. And Louisville too? That's insane.