Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Hyperlynx posted:

What do DJs do?

I thought it was analogous to playing an instrument - mashing together multiple songs and scratching and stuff to play a new song using the other songs as pieces. But I've seen DJs just fiddle with their equipment for a bit and then just walk off, get a beer, and let the music play by itself.

They play records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
DJs in the most traditional sense do what you describe in the beginning of your post.

DJs in a broad sense are just responsible for keeping the music going. Sometimes that means just loading up a playlist and making sure the equipment doesn't fail at any point. Also adjusting the playlist for requests.

Traditional DJing is an art form. DJing in a broad sense is something anybody with iTunes can do.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Mate, people have been playing records for others since the 1910s or so, what you call "traditional DJing" is only "traditional" for a specific definition of "DJing".

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Hyperlynx posted:

What do DJs do?

I thought it was analogous to playing an instrument - mashing together multiple songs and scratching and stuff to play a new song using the other songs as pieces. But I've seen DJs just fiddle with their equipment for a bit and then just walk off, get a beer, and let the music play by itself.

In this case they either a) did the technical stuff beforehand and b) they are bad DJs. The really great ones adapt to the feeling of the crowd and all that difficult to quantify stuff.

e.; This is the case for professional event DJs I suppose, though I wouldn't be surprised if they often don't have that much freedom to adapt due to contracts etc. There's a gigantic range of skill level and what-they-are-supposed-to-be-doing. Kind of like how "I like going to the gym" can mean anything from morbid obese self denial to fully ripped gym rat.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 9, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TBeats posted:

DJs in the most traditional sense do what you describe in the beginning of your post.

DJs in a broad sense are just responsible for keeping the music going. Sometimes that means just loading up a playlist and making sure the equipment doesn't fail at any point. Also adjusting the playlist for requests.

Traditional DJing is an art form. DJing in a broad sense is something anybody with iTunes can do.

you've got it kind of backwards. "Traditional" DJing in most countries is curating songs and, in many contexts, also announcing/talking about the songs. For example the person at a radio station who chooses the music, introduces the music on air, and also sometimes reads ad copy or makes whatever announcements need to be made. For most of recorded music history this involved handling records and basic beat matching. It wasn't something "anybody with iTunes can do" until very recently, for obvious reasons.

there have been musical/live mixing elements to what DJs/Selectors do in various places for many decades, but a lot of what that poster is referring to - scratching, beat juggling, live remixing and collage technique stuff - is relatively new. There have been people experimenting with these techniques for decades as well but was definitely not part of the original or "traditional" DJ job description.

though really I agree with HAI, recorded music itself is so new and what a DJ is has manifested differently in different places during this development, so it really "traditional" is not a great way to frame it anyway.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Booger Presley posted:

Maybe they're just enjoying the sunset.

Honestly this isn't far off from what I've been thinking. They lead pretty solitary lives so I assumed they were flocking together for ten minutes per day to socialize. However I have nothing to back that up.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

kedo posted:

Honestly this isn't far off from what I've been thinking. They lead pretty solitary lives so I assumed they were flocking together for ten minutes per day to socialize. However I have nothing to back that up.

I see crows flock en masse from all over the city to a few choice locations every evening in the fall and winter. A few times I've found the place they were all going and they're all jammed together in a couple of trees. They don't do it in the summer. Based on all of this, I always assumed they were flocking to a single tree to share warmth through the night.

e: it's really beautiful, too, one of my favorite autumn sights is sitting on a hill and seeing the long winding black trail of crows moving through the orange sky

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Moscow Mule posted:

Sorry to hear about your grandma. :(

If by receiving ashes you mean getting them to their final resting place & handing them over to the cemetery to be interred I think the cemetery lady is telling you correctly. I'm in Texas and the funeral home that arranged my dad's cremation gave me his ashes and when we're ready to inter him I just have to bring them to the cemetery myself. Now this is Texas so YMMV but if it is a law, it is not universal.

You can also see about getting a hold of the State Board of Funeral Directors if you're concerned. http://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/FuneralDirectors/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks, I'm worried that if i ask funeral directors they'll say "oh of course you ought to hire one!" but maybe I'll at least ask the board some straightforward factual questions.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kedo posted:

What the heck are these crows doing?

Every night around sunset without fail around a hundred to two hundred crows flock to this building. The night I took this picture there were way fewer than normal, only about 80 or so. They show up at sunset cawing like mad, chill on the flat glass building and the spiky building next to it for about ten minutes and then they scatter.

They've been doing this for years. They don't spend the night and they do it year round, (except when it rains), at sunset.

Where is this? I've seen this happen in Lancaster PA several times.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

kedo posted:

Crows are social animals, but during breeding season they stay with their family groups. Outside of breeding season (so broadly autumn to early spring) they roost together in big flocks. If I had to guess, I'd say they gather on your rooftop but move somewhere else to sleep, rather than scatter like you said.

e: here's a source! https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/4939/V63N04_145.pdf

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Crows are social animals, but during breeding season they stay with their family groups. Outside of breeding season (so broadly autumn to early spring) they roost together in big flocks. If I had to guess, I'd say they gather on your rooftop but move somewhere else to sleep, rather than scatter like you said.

e: here's a source! https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/4939/V63N04_145.pdf

Makes sense to me!

Earwicker posted:

Where is this? I've seen this happen in Lancaster PA several times.

DC area. I saw this happen in Colorado as well but to a far lesser degree.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
A group of crows is called a Murder. They are plotting. Do not get on their bad side by forcing them to stop using that location or anything.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Nar mate it's called a flock. Think you's been reading too many chivalry romances if you talk like that

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

What do DJs do?

So, putting aside the definition of "DJ" for a moment...

Those guys are walking off for a beer thanks to electronic beat-matching. Mixing 2 records on analog turntables the old school way is very tricky. Songs aren't always recorded at exactly the same tempo, so you need to adjust the speed of the turntables so that both songs are playing at the same tempo. (Most EDM is produced at 120 BPM or close, partly because of this).

Just having the songs play at the same speed isn't enough though- you also need to make sure the kick and the snare on each record line up. So the DJ has to scratch the record back and forth a bit to get the drum tracks to line up properly.

Modern DJ software does all of this, as well as correct changes in pitch, decent transitions and selecting songs from a playlist. So now DJs have all the time in the world to work on transitions, mash-ups, synthesizers or drink beer and take selfies.

Edit: clarified, maybe

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Most EDM is produced at 120 BPM or close, partly because of this

This isn't true at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen two people now whose Facebook accounts have been sending out these spam/fake posts:

Is that an in-computer virus thing, or has their account been compromised, or something else?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If there's a dodgy link somewhere in that then their account has been compromised.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mr. Squishy posted:

If there's a dodgy link somewhere in that then their account has been compromised.

My first thought as well, it's pretty easy to have facebook compromised.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do people make those interview/rally-speech transcripts like Sopan Deb does? It always seems to be so quick to me. Is it really just down to people using transcriptionist techniques to take them down quickly/in real-time, or are there more modern tools available nowadays?

I don't know about interviews but rally speeches, or any speeches in general are usually sent to the press ahead of time so they can write a story on it immediately after.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Earwicker posted:

This isn't true at all.

Correct me by all means, I'm just an enthusiast :) Why does music in an electronic genre so often stick to an exact bpm like 120 or 140? Purely for stylistic reasons?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Why does music in an electronic genre so often stick to an exact bpm like 120 or 140? Purely for stylistic reasons?

It doesn't. There is a massive amount of electronic dance music at tempos ranging from 70-200 bpm across many different genres.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have a question for TNG Trek nerds:

what is the deal with the weird way Riker sits on chairs and puts his legs up on consoles and stuff all the time? some sort of inside joke?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Earwicker posted:

I have a question for TNG Trek nerds:

what is the deal with the weird way Riker sits on chairs and puts his legs up on consoles and stuff all the time? some sort of inside joke?

Second result on googling "riker chairs" is this:
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/35410/what-is-the-origin-of-the-riker-chair-maneuver

Which quotes a post where Wil Wheaton confirmed a comment on reddit explaining that Jonathan Frakes had some kind of old back injury, and that the way he leans or props his leg up on something frequently was probably a result of trying to work around that injury.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Is there a list somewhere of who on Weird Twitter is who on the forums?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

stubblyhead posted:

Why can't Donald Duck fly?

Many breeds of domestic ducks cannot fly, same as most chickens.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Relevant to the DJ discussion. :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ras Het posted:

Nar mate it's called a flock. Think you's been reading too many chivalry romances if you talk like that

Yeah flock or floating flock is generally acceptable. Floating flock because they often form spontaneously and without proper structure like a herd of goats have (distinct leader/leadership groups, young protected etc). Murder of crows is literally the title of a book that popularised the term and no one ever checks if something is true if it sounds cool.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Memento posted:

Yeah flock or floating flock is generally acceptable. Floating flock because they often form spontaneously and without proper structure like a herd of goats have (distinct leader/leadership groups, young protected etc). Murder of crows is literally the title of a book that popularised the term and no one ever checks if something is true if it sounds cool.

It's murder or horde according to the US Geological Survey Dept https://web.archive.org/web/20150320071411/http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm

Also, post #2 here claims the first use was in the 15th century: http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/78/

greazeball fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 10, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

Murder of crows is literally the title of a book that popularised the term and no one ever checks if something is true if it sounds cool.

When it comes to word meanings, if people think it's true then it is.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, thanks for the advice earlier with the roach stuff. So far my PC seems good, I sealed it up well. I have a completely different issue now, this may be better in YLLS but I'll try here first since it's more product related - I have a job working 50-70 hour weeks. It's in a factory so I'm standing all day, walking a good portion of it on concrete floors. I've been having some knee issues working out and sometimes during other times, and this was never an issue for me at all until I got this job. So I need advice on footwear to help mitigate it. Are there any specific shoes good for this? Insoles maybe? I don't have to wear boots FWIW. Just need to focus on minimizing wear and tear on my knees and feet. I've tried regular run of the mill running shoes, and now I have shoes that are more minimalist with a flatter/harder sole and honestly I feel no difference at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the advice earlier with the roach stuff. So far my PC seems good, I sealed it up well. I have a completely different issue now, this may be better in YLLS but I'll try here first since it's more product related - I have a job working 50-70 hour weeks. It's in a factory so I'm standing all day, walking a good portion of it on concrete floors. I've been having some knee issues working out and sometimes during other times, and this was never an issue for me at all until I got this job. So I need advice on footwear to help mitigate it. Are there any specific shoes good for this? Insoles maybe? I don't have to wear boots FWIW. Just need to focus on minimizing wear and tear on my knees and feet. I've tried regular run of the mill running shoes, and now I have shoes that are more minimalist with a flatter/harder sole and honestly I feel no difference at all.

Personally, I've found that safety boots with sports socks and a triple layer of insoles worked well for me.
The support of a stronger boot keep my foot supported and the soles softened the walk.

Hiking boots might work for you.

Or anything recommended by nurses.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do people make those interview/rally-speech transcripts like Sopan Deb does? It always seems to be so quick to me. Is it really just down to people using transcriptionist techniques to take them down quickly/in real-time, or are there more modern tools available nowadays?

The usual trick for non-professionals is to use voice recognition and they proof it.

But people working on subtitles for live events, or translators, work in real time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Are you standing in place most of the day? Ask your employer if they'll get you an anti-fatigue mat if so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.shoesforcrews.com

They're made specifically for people on their feet all day.

I think Sketchers has a similar line as well.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Are you standing in place most of the day? Ask your employer if they'll get you an anti-fatigue mat if so.

We have those, and they help, but since I'm in packing/QC I'm always moving. I'm lucky if I spend 1/4 of my night on a mat hence why I asked specifically about shoes. It was a good suggestion though. I've also recently decided to start taking a minute or two every hour to stretch my quads and hammies to see if that helps as well. I'll check those links out. As far as the boots thing, that may get on my nerves. If boots with a lot of insoles is straight up the best answer, I'd be willing to try it out, but I prefer something a little more lightweight, even if I do run my toes over with loaded tables sometimes.

e: are those crew shoes specifically decided to mitigate impact of hard floors? Seems they are more an anti-slip deal for fast food type stuff but I haven't had time to really look into yet, I just got in.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 11, 2016

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

FCKGW posted:

https://www.shoesforcrews.com

They're made specifically for people on their feet all day.

I think Sketchers has a similar line as well.

Anecdotal, but I'm standing (and walking) all day at work and this is the brand of shoe my work bought for me and I find 'em comfortable; my soles are a bit sore sometimes when I wake up, but otherwise my feet/legs never hurt. Actually when I used to work at a desk before my knees would sometimes ache and I had shin splints, those are gone since.

e: specifically, these are the ones I have.

pylb fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 11, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

. As far as the boots thing, that may get on my nerves. If boots with a lot of insoles is straight up the best answer, I'd be willing to try it out, but I prefer something a little more lightweight, even if I do run my toes over with loaded tables sometimes.

It doesn't have to be heavy leather boots, but something with more support seems to work well in the longer run.

It's seems counter-intuitive, but the really light trainers were more tiring for me than heavier (non-leather) ankle-high hiking boots.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to hook an iPhone up to a tv and mirror it via a cable?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a way to hook an iPhone up to a tv and mirror it via a cable?

yes, depending on what kind of tv it is. but for most modern tv's you can get a lighting to hdmi adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I am a nurse and the shoes I swear by are K Swiss Tubes. Lots of other nurse goons have had good luck with those too.

Also a few good pairs of knee high compression socks. I work 12.5 hour shifts and can definitely tell the difference if for some reason I wasn't able to wear compression socks. I like Sockwell, it's a bit expensive, but cheap compression socks don't work.