Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The xindi were deliberately targeting Trip's sister, there's no other way to explain it.

Also, I forget what her name is, so I'm just going to say it was Trippany.

Elizatripth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Trip's also canonically from Panama City according to Memory Alpha, the poor family. Born in the redneck riviera.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The xindi were deliberately targeting Trip's sister, there's no other way to explain it.

Also, I forget what her name is, so I'm just going to say it was Trippany.

Her favorite musical instrument was the Timpani

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Her favorite musical instrument was the Timpani

Her favorite vacation was taking a trip to Tripoli.

She did it three times in a row.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Judging by the laser blast, it look like it took out most of Polk County, which is honestly no big loss.

FILE FOOTAGE OF XINDI ATTACK

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Federation immediately offers membership to the Xindi as a show of gratitude.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sadly, the Tucker siblings remained a duo for all of Patripia's life. Despite their father's best efforts to score, he never could make that hat trick.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So I’m diving back in to Discovery after bugging out on it halfway through season 1, excited to see how my boy Nippleclamp Tardigrade is doing...
(AN DONT SAY HE DEAD)

:(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Peacoffee posted:

So I’m diving back in to Discovery after bugging out on it halfway through season 1, excited to see how my boy Nippleclamp Tardigrade is doing...
(AN DONT SAY HE DEAD)

:(

NOTE: Tardigrade died on the way back to his home planet.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

@drillscovery:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Nipple-clamps $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my Tardigrade is dying

11:06 · Stardate 292013

@craig:

spend less on nipple clamps

@ drillscovery:

no

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1111216374297382912

Well finally a plausible explanation for what Borg trans warp conduits were about

Recistance is futile?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Didn't the Xindi attack kill more people in Central America than in Florida lol

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The first time watching Voyager a few years ago, I skipped a lot of standalone episodes because there were so many bad Kazon episodes. I'm really enjoying Season 4 and Season 5, and it's about TNG-quality to me. Neelix got a lot better after he not only ditched Kes, but he also stopped doing annoying and self-aggrandizing things like having his own 30 minute morning announcement TV show watched only mostly by Ensign Wildman. As of Warhead, even Ensign Kim has a personality after five seasons

Edit: The best Neelix line was when he notices that Janeway's been up drinking a lot of coffee and advises that it'd have more of an effect as a hypospray

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 29, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Trip is short for Trarles

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

galenanorth posted:

The first time watching Voyager a few years ago, I skipped a lot of standalone episodes because there were so many bad Kazon episodes. I'm really enjoying Season 4 and Season 5, and it's about TNG-quality to me. Neelix got a lot better after he not only ditched Kes, but he also stopped doing annoying and self-aggrandizing things like having his own 30 minute morning announcement TV show watched only by Ensign Wildman. As of Warhead, even Ensign Kim has a personality after five seasons

3-4-5 (honestly up to Equinox, the season 6 opener) are basically the part of Voyager that's somewhat consistently acceptable with most of the good episodes, at least it's less like digging in poo poo for the one good episode

The dumb thing is that there has to have been some awareness that people hated early Neelix because the one with the holosimulation of Tuvok murdering Neelix for the crime of being Neelix is like in season 1 or 2

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galenanorth posted:

Neelix got a lot better after he not only ditched Kes, but he also stopped doing annoying and self-aggrandizing things like having his own 30 minute morning announcement TV show watched only by Ensign Wildman.

Neelix being the sort of person to have their own terrible youtube channel was oddly prescient of Voyager, though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm sure Voyager seems better just because of how bad Enterprise and Discovery have been since.

Sort of like how each Republican president's legacy is made better by the horribleness of the next-- OH YEAH I WENT THERE WITH A POLITICAL HOT TAKE, STAR TREK THREAD!!!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That's a pretty tepid take for this place. I'd say you're solidly in the mainstream.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Voyager got okay as soon as Seven came on board. Discovery is a much more entertaining show though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Now that's a hot take!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Discovery is better than Voyager or Enterprise

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

In some ways, by some metrics absolutely. Overall ehhhhhhhhh i don't think so. If it ended right now, no. But it still has time.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I dunno this current red angel/section 31 bullshit is rapidly approaching Voyager Endgame levels of stupidity

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I dunno this current red angel/section 31 bullshit is rapidly approaching Voyager Endgame levels of stupidity
Nah that was way dumber than this

Granted they still have time to surpass it but I don’t think it’s happening.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just can't wait for someone to tell Burnham the real Discovery was inside her all along, quite literally, it got shrunk

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m watching “Course: Oblivion” right now. First of all, top notch episode name there, guys. Secondly, this episode might actually be affecting if the actors were allowed to actually act. The scene with Tom at B’Elanna’s bedside while she dies should have left me a gibbering mess, but it’s just so flat. So terribly, terribly flat.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

In some ways, by some metrics absolutely. Overall ehhhhhhhhh i don't think so. If it ended right now, no. But it still has time.

Once the newness wears off people will look at the show with a more critical eye, just like the reboot movies

jeeves posted:

I'm sure Voyager seems better just because of how bad Enterprise and Discovery have been since.

Sort of like how each Republican president's legacy is made better by the horribleness of the next-- OH YEAH I WENT THERE WITH A POLITICAL HOT TAKE, STAR TREK THREAD!!!

Discovery is like Hillary Clinton or Justin Trudeau, they spend a lot of money paying lip service to the kinds of things people like to get support and then boom war crimes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Trek characters should always be saying poo poo like "Set a course for adventure!" And "Phasers on fun".

Instead of saying "shields at %30 and falling!" characters should say " There's a three in five chance of a hull breach if they hit us again!" And then Janeway says "Never quote me the odds! Lock on and fire all weapons!"

Also they should drop the shields some time and beam an incoming torpedo from the enemy ship directly back towards it.

Instead of cloaking they should say "Take us to night mode"

O'Brien should surrender to the Jem Hadar but the camera pans around to show he has duct taped a hand phaser to his back.

Deepfakes technology should be used to make Rowdy Roddy Piper a captain.

The founders should be detected by every Starfleet command officer having a secret high five they only do in private.

Data should have several backup heads like Kryten.

TNG S1 had it right when it came to frequency of someone being roundhouse kicked through a glass table and it's a drat shame it tapered off

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I would love this. Every time Data can't figure something out, he goes and chats with his wall of heads, each with a slightly different personality matrix. And the one with android rot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I’m watching “Course: Oblivion” right now. First of all, top notch episode name there, guys. Secondly, this episode might actually be affecting if the actors were allowed to actually act. The scene with Tom at B’Elanna’s bedside while she dies should have left me a gibbering mess, but it’s just so flat. So terribly, terribly flat.
I really don’t like that episode. They finally have some decent scenes but it doesn’t matter in the end.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Star Trek characters should always be saying poo poo like "Set a course for adventure!" And "Phasers on fun".

Instead of saying "shields at %30 and falling!" characters should say " There's a three in five chance of a hull breach if they hit us again!" And then Janeway says "Never quote me the odds! Lock on and fire all weapons!"

Also they should drop the shields some time and beam an incoming torpedo from the enemy ship directly back towards it.

Instead of cloaking they should say "Take us to night mode"

O'Brien should surrender to the Jem Hadar but the camera pans around to show he has duct taped a hand phaser to his back.

Deepfakes technology should be used to make Rowdy Roddy Piper a captain.

The founders should be detected by every Starfleet command officer having a secret high five they only do in private.

TNG S1 had it right when it came to frequency of someone being roundhouse kicked through a glass table and it's a drat shame it tapered off
I don't disagree with any of this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whalley posted:

I don't disagree with any of this

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don’t like that episode. They finally have some decent scenes but it doesn’t matter in the end.
43 minutes of :derp: followed by about 20 seconds of "Huh. That's weird. Eh, whatever."

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

marktheando posted:

Crusher gets treated a bit better most of the time. Apart from the candle gently caress ghost episode obviously.

Troi was always in dubious situations, being mind raped, impregnated against her will, stripped naked by ferengi. The only Troi episode that isn't about that sort of thing or her mother is the Romulan one.

There's the episode where everyone go crazy because they can't dream while sleeping and only Troi is able to contact the aliens who are disturbingly the enterprise.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Bloop posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1111216374297382912

Well finally a plausible explanation for what Borg trans warp conduits were about

I can't believe the Discovery writers leaked her the ending for this season ahead of time.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

jeeves posted:

"Equinox" (S06E01) would, in modern times, be a reference to how Yemeni children are metaphorically in our gas tanks

I agree with Ronald Moore's criticisms in the Memory Alpha wiki entry. The stresses that Janeway was under during the episode weren't really greater than anything else Voyager had faced. I liked the two-parter other than that aspect.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 30, 2019

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

galenanorth posted:

"Equinox" (S06E01) would, in modern times, be a reference to how Yemeni children are metaphorically in our gas tanks

Had Equinox been done just 3-4 years later, it would unequivocally side with Janeway the whole way because she's making hard decisions while hard. Had Equinox been done in DIS, Ransom would be one of the protagonists and the showrunners would have him turn out to be in the right.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 30, 2019

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

FlamingLiberal posted:

i agree with this. i feel like a large part of DISCO 's advantage over v'ger is that there is significantly less of it. enterprise is just loving boring

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

lol but seriously I posted:

i agree with this. i feel like a large part of DISCO 's advantage over v'ger is that there is significantly less of it. enterprise is just loving boring

Disco’s advantage is that it’s just hammering away with a ton of really weird poo poo that mostly works but sometimes doesn’t. And I still count that as better than the mad libs cookie cutter crap VOY and early ENT turned into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Voyager and Enterprise are more boring but Disco is more disappointing. This isn’t some third order spin off like Voy and Ent where everyone involved has already made over 9000 episodes for half of each year since 1990 and can’t think of anything new. It’s a new shiny production that should really be free to cut loose and do whatever, and you can tell they’re really trying to do that, but it’s hamstrung by inept plotting that is constantly kicking itself in the dick, on top of the actual execution and writing being really terrible. It certainly aims higher but it falls flatter.