Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paperwind posted:

Modern Republicans have become so loving awful that a Republican in the traditional mold actually sounds halfway reasonable these days. Did they really have any shred of intellectual consistency back in the day or am I just too young to know any better?

It's been a loose confederation of assholes ever since the Southern strategy at least. They're trying to hold together two factions that don't have much to do with each other - millionaires and fundamentalists - so any drat fool thing either side takes a fancy to Republicans have to agree with or risk splitting the party. Global warming's made up? Sure. Allying with Israel will bring about the second coming? Definitely. It's easy to imagine the moderate Republicans giving up and jettisoning the crazies, but even the moderates don't really stand for anything, only against things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Hang on, I've been saving something for this occasion:

I know there is a not-insignificant fraction of posters who feel that "people having guns" should constitute an actionable threat by anyone who sees it, but I don't think there is any U.S. state that currently recognizes it as such absent an overt or articulated threat.
Aha, but I artfully dodge your analogy to the Black Panthers. You see, the two cases had very different ideological statements to them, by my understanding.

The Malheur people made no bones about their intention to occupy the wildlife refuge and, if not stopped, to eventually settle/homestead it and put in a crop and I guess hope they found minerals they could sell to the Chinese. I believe this was the core of their objection to that particular wildlife sanctuary: it was interfering with the operations of a nearby ranch (who, I recall further, wanted absolutely nothing to do with these guys.) e: By contrast, while the Black Panthers may have had a desire for some form of reparations in general, they were not declaring the courthouse in question to be their property on some general grounds.

Furthermore, I don't believe that the Black Panthers were ideologically opposed to the existence of courts and some system of peace officers in and of themselves, while the Malheur occupiers were hostile to federal scientists, wildlife refuge management, etc. in general.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 28, 2016

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
The narrative that this was just a peaceful protest and that the guns were nothing but constitutionally sanctioned fashion accessories will never get old.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kro-Bar posted:

Looks like Trump's kids aren't the only one not giving to his campaign.

https://twitter.com/PostRoz/status/791831758685687808

Look, his services to his campaign are worth way more than $100 million. In fact, he's going to charge the campaign for the difference.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

OK, so at what point does the armed group of wannabe rebels become an actual threat? Like, is there an actual legal point where that happens?
IANAL, but my understanding is that it's generally when they do one of the following:
-Point a gun at someone
-Threaten to use their guns in an unlawful manner
-Discharge their guns in a prohibited place or in an unsafe manner
-Shoot someone

Or, if you live in California, Illinois, New York, or several other states,
-From the moment they start carrying guns openly outside an unincorporated area or into one or more forbidden areas

Nessus posted:

Aha, but I artfully dodge your analogy to the Black Panthers. You see, the two cases had very different ideological statements to them, by my understanding.

The Malheur people made no bones about their intention to occupy the wildlife refuge and, if not stopped, to eventually settle/homestead it and put in a crop and I guess hope they found minerals they could sell to the Chinese. I believe this was the core of their objection to that particular wildlife sanctuary: it was interfering with the operations of a nearby ranch (who, I recall further, wanted absolutely nothing to do with these guys.)

Furthermore, I don't believe that the Black Panthers were ideologically opposed to the existence of courts and some system of peace officers in and of themselves, while the Malheur occupiers were hostile to federal scientists, wildlife refuge management, etc. in general.
I don't think the law recognizes a distinction in ideological statements between armed protests, nor should they. Were the Black Panthers not hostile towards the activities of the uniformed agents of the California state government and its subsidiary departments/regions?

Mavric posted:

The narrative that this was just a peaceful protest and that the guns were nothing but constitutionally sanctioned fashion accessories will never get old.
If you could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the carry of firearms by the Malheur occupiers was soley for the purpose of intimidating federal employees, there may be a federal prosecutor job opening up soon. Think of it as the "FOR TOBACCO USE ONLY" of long guns.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 28, 2016

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
lol ok sure

edit: also why does it have to be solely? Can't it be for intimidation AND compensating for your tiny penis?

Mavric fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

-Threaten to use their guns in an unlawful manner
How is this constituted? Does it count if - say - someone is part of the Real Freedom Rebel Patriot Hero Militia Squadron, and says "The RFRPHMS is gonna shoot every loving land-grabbin' fed we see!" - and you then feel threatened by another guy wearing the uniform of the RFRPHMS, even though that individual did not say he was going to shoot every loving land-grabbin' fed he sees?

For that matter, the current group were acquitted - does this create precedent that, say, occupying a federal wildlife reserve, plowing up Native American sites, waving your armaments around, livestreaming about how you hope to kill feds, etc., must inherently NOT be unlawful? I'm not sure how this works, other than the obvious trend of "the decision most favorable to white rural militias" which your summary of the legal system seems to suggest.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

OK, so at what point does the armed group of wannabe rebels become an actual threat? Like, is there an actual legal point where that happens? Because I know for drat sure the cops get to shoot people all the time on the grounds that their responsibility is to come home safely and the lives of random citizens are less important than that feeling of safety.

It is fascinating to me that open carry simultaneously cannot be construed as a threat by the government, and also such an imminent threat that the government has the right to shoot you as you sit peacefully on a park bench or lie with your hands in the air if they only think you might have a gun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

It is fascinating to me that open carry simultaneously cannot be construed as a threat by the government, and also such an imminent threat that the government has the right to shoot you as you sit peacefully on a park bench or lie with your hands in the air if they only think you might have a gun.
Well, you understand the difference, of course. It's as plain as the skin on your face.

Oh - we aren't supposed to mention that part. It might be rude.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VitalSigns posted:

"Armed while Black" is a different legal statute entirely

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I think they simply hosed it up by avoiding a confrontation. They should have actually gone to the wildlife refugee with police and FBI and tried to kick them out. If they don't leave peacefully that is a crime right there.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

In all fairness they did shoot one of the guys didn't they? And he had his hands up too, so there you go

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

He had his hands up, then down, then up, then in his pocket, then he jerked it around a bit, then he got shot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

Are you kidding? Every time I'm feeling down I think of the woman in that picture, and just imagine how loving beyond miserable and rage filled every second of her life has been since nov 2008, and will continue to be as she sees hillary stroll back into the white house.

The thoughts are so beautiful and warming I wouldn't even need to start a campfire to keep me alive in a blizzard.

I would actually love to know what Pat Peale is up to during this election. Is she sticking with the establishment Republicanism that brought her, or thrown them over for Trump?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mavric posted:

He had his hands up, then down, then up, then in his pocket, then he jerked it around a bit, then he got shot.

imho if you approach the FBI while jerking off you deserve to be lit up

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

IBD poll (the most accuratest ever!!!! up until 3 days ago) ticked one further for Hillary (43-41). Must have been reached by Clinton Foundation money and/or the Podesta killers.

https://twitter.com/IBDinvestors/status/791942863084855296

IBD poll ticking another point towards Clinton, who is now 44-41. Not to worry tho, USC/LAT one ticked 1 point towards Trump for a +1.6 lead. Stop arzying, pepes.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I missed the latest email thing because I was being mad at juries, what's it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Volcott posted:

I missed the latest email thing because I was being mad at juries, what's it?

Wanna take a guess?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wanna take a guess?

I don't know, Chris Matthews was Arzying pretty hard, from the 5 minutes of his show I saw yesterday.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I know there is a not-insignificant fraction of posters who feel that "people having guns" should constitute an actionable threat by anyone who sees it, but I don't think there is any U.S. state that currently recognizes it as such absent an overt or articulated threat.
That's pretty much insane.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Volcott posted:

I don't know, Chris Matthews was Arzying pretty hard, from the 5 minutes of his show I saw yesterday.
Same, from what I heard of his show for the last 20 years.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Volcott posted:

Another Podesta email. Chelsea was kind of annoyed that members of the foundation use it as a mean to get personal career contacts. Podesta seems like he is kind of an rear end in a top hat, so he downplayed it and replied that her father does that all the time and even used the words "Bill Clinton corporation" to describe that.
It looks somewhat bad, but there is no evidence of political favors in return and there isn't anything which directly links Hillary to it.
I'd say it's the worst of the Podesta mails, but only because the others are worthless. Also there isn't really anything illegal about that. It just feeds into the right wings narrative that the Clintons are buyable.

I kinda dislike Podesta at this point. He seems to phrase his emails really incompetently and they always look way worse than they are. To be fair, they are internal emails and not press statements.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/791843224155553792

Voter fraud!!!

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Can white people be convicted of anything in America?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
By the way. Do we know anything about how the Russians hacked Podesta? If it was a large scale breach of the servers, I'd imagine there would be mails from other accounts of his subordinates. What account was it anyway? Is he just one of those people who use 1233456 as a password?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hitler B. Natural posted:

As soon as the Republicans can get anti-miscegenation laws on the books again, I think we'll start seeing a lot of cases of white people being successfully prosecuted.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7eA_TyogeU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember this is the country where not only were the pipeline protesters attacked with dogs and a reporter covering it threatened with absurdly broad legal penalties but a black man was holding a toy gun in a store in an open carry state and that was enough to be legally shot without warning by the authorities. It would be nice if regular people were afforded the same leniency as white people preaching sedition against the country.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

paperwind posted:

Modern Republicans have become so loving awful that a Republican in the traditional mold actually sounds halfway reasonable these days. Did they really have any shred of intellectual consistency back in the day or am I just too young to know any better?
Well, the Republican Party has always been a coalition, and large national coalitions always have inconsistencies. What was peculiar to the GOP in its post-WWII conservative orientation was that it was an axis of (a) evangelical Christian Protestants (b) business and (c) national security hawks. I suppose you could add Southern whites to this mix, but you could also lump them in with evangelical Protestants maybe.

William F. Buckley really embodied a, b and c. And what was the glue that held that coalition together? The Cold War! As each faction had an overlapping interest in containing communism. So the GOP had its contradictions, but it was relatively consistent there.

That coalition began to unravel in the 1990s, and right-wing populist movements formed up around Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan. In 2000, George W. Bush crawled into the presidency after a deeply contested election in which he lost the popular vote, buying the Cold War-era GOP some time, as did the 9/11 attacks. The Iraq War and the 2008 recession finally shattered it. And set the stage for Trump to emerge, combining what Perot and Buchanan represented.

I think the GOP is reverting to its paleoconservative Old Right permutation. Nationalist, protectionist, anti-immigrant, more isolationist, and more explicitly racist & based on blood and culture.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 28, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I feel like it's worth saying again that jury verdicts are not precedent. They are not even assertions about the law of any kind. They're determinations of fact and nothing more.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they are precedent in any way that matters. any prosecutor will be reluctant tobring a case that juries refuse to convict on.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I really wish the Clinton camp would dump one more 'what the gently caress' thing to free me of my arzying once and for all.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The ABC tracking poll went down even further, 48-44. That's quite the swing, seems mostly Trump's gains. Cilizza must have been on hard drugs when he said it was at +16 Clinton yesterday.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The pussy tape and the debates are seemingly fading away, which is quite damning of the electorate at large, but what else is new. It's all about the downballot at this point.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

So uh is vandalism federal property not a crime? Or 'commandeering' it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

white women can be convicted of having a miscarriage

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Was he not a "Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution" or something? Because I hear this claim bandied about all the time, and I'm pretty sure it's bullshit under the premise that Hamilton was always grandfathered in under the second part of that clause.

My understanding of the general consensus is that the framers put that in for him.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Feels like the last couple weeks have been all Wikileaks poo poo so the electorate races right back to trump and the default C+4-6 state of this race

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any tightening of the polls is the result of Republicans that were embarrassed by Trump's behavior coming around. If the election was held the day after the pussy video dropped the same people that are going back to Trump now would have been able to convince themselves they are making the right choice in the ballot box. 2016 has been illuminating in just how disgraceful and openly incompetent a candidate can be and white people will still embrace him as their own long as he's openly bigoted.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Stealing from richer whites.

Also remember when people were saying that RGB saying mean things about Trump was what was going to discredit our judicial system lol.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stealing from richer whites.

• Locked thread