Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There was that twin turbo V8 Cobra Jet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

A coyote-based Mark IX would be amazing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Geology posted:

A coyote-based Mark IX would be amazing.

God yes.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
That would be amazing. Also, there was a rumor going around for awhile that they would be building a new "global" Lincoln at the plant where they're building the ST. We can only hope it's based on the mustang platform.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'd love a Mustang-based 4 door Continental to rival the CTS.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

As the owner of a proper continental, i'll have to ask you to kindly gently caress off.

Make a new lincoln LS based on the LT.

Make the the new continental a car based on the expedition frame

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I know it's not a V8 but the current Lincoln MKS Ecoboost is essentially a grandpa's SHO. I mean, that's pretty close to what you're asking for.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Powershift posted:

As the owner of a proper continental, i'll have to ask you to kindly gently caress off.

Expedition isn't long enough. Ford's commercial line may have something more appropriate.

Anyway, the LS is the logical nameplate to compete with the CTS sport sedan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MarsellusWallace posted:

Expedition isn't long enough. Ford's commercial line may have something more appropriate.

Anyway, the LS is the logical nameplate to compete with the CTS sport sedan.

The expedition wheelbase is 119 inches, which is only 1.5" shorter than my mark IV coupe.

The curb weight is 5549lbs, which is pretty drat close as well.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 14, 2013

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

LS, Continental, call it whatever. Heel, even bring back the Falcon nameplate for all I care. I just want a RWD sedan with a stick and power.

Body on frame cars are a thing of the past, so an Expedition-based model is not happening unless you want the Continental to actually be a truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quit shattering my dreams :argh:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

LS, Continental, call it whatever. Heel, even bring back the Falcon nameplate for all I care. I just want a RWD sedan with a stick and power.

Do the new Chargers come with a manual / v8 combo?

Barring that, g8 gt? Depending on budget, BMW?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Yeah, don't hold your breath. Even if we get a 4-door based on the Mustang with a Coyote in it, I'd almost bet money you'll never see a clutch pedal in that car.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Tide posted:

Do the new Chargers come with a manual / v8 combo?

Barring that, g8 gt? Depending on budget, BMW?

Chargers don't come with a manual, period. And neither did G8 GTs, only the significantly more-expensive GXPs.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

I was reading Road & Track (I think?) in a waiting room today and they had an article on the new Mustang. Supposedly GM and Ford are co-developing a 10-speed automatic that will eventually make its way into the Mustang in the coming years, and supposedly there's a twin-turbo V8 displacing between 5.0-5.5L codenamed Voodoo that's being developed to eventually replace the supercharged 5.8 lump in the GT500. The article claims it'll first come in the GT350 as a lower-end model, but will eventually be thrown into the GT500 in an even more hotted-up version. And apparently the Voodoo isn't Coyote-based, because the article mentioned Ford mulling over a N/A version.

Heh, and to think 4 or 5 years ago people laughed at Lexus for introducing the first 8-speed passenger car auto. "How could anyone possibly need 8 gears?!"

Now if you havnt got at least 7 and preferably 8 or more you ain't poo poo...

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Quit shattering my dreams :argh:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They really are thinking of just about everything with the new Mustang: burnout control system possibly in the works. A factory line lock? Hell. Yes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

They really are thinking of just about everything with the new Mustang: burnout control system possibly in the works. A factory line lock? Hell. Yes.

It really should only be surprising that they're exposing the functionality; pretty much any modern car with ABS is perfectly capable of locking the front wheels and leaving the rear brakes off, they just don't let you do this.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
I'd like to think of it as an evolution of launch control rather than factory line lock for legal reasons. I'm more curious to see if this is electronic or a solenoid based system, which is what most people go with now.

Tide, have you looked at Beefcake's torque booster? I switched over to Tokico D specs last weekend and I'm still dialing in the suspension, going to try to add my Steeda Adjustable UCA + Mount, Bumpsteer and X11 ball joints in the next week or so. I figure its worth finishing all that up before tackling such a big project.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No, sure haven't (I've got the Roush TVS Stage 2 package).

I am going to have to tackle the suspension (and tires) next, though. I've got wheel hop something fierce that scares the poo poo out of me - I keep waiting on something to explode into little pieces. I'll probably get to it about April or so. I'll really be interested in how you like the Steeda goodies you got and how well it helps put the power to the ground.

edit: It's likely a band aid fix, but I'm going to give this a shot before I go hog wild with the rest.

Tide fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 16, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Dick Burglar posted:

Chargers don't come with a manual, period. And neither did G8 GTs, only the significantly more-expensive GXPs.

The dodge charger juiced with the viper v10 has a manual in it. Of course its a one-off, but it can be done with enough money.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ok, but by that logic if an auto-only Lincoln Whatever came out you could just ~manual swap~ it too. Yes, it can technically be done, but it's insanely impractical and/or stupidly expensive.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

No, sure haven't (I've got the Roush TVS Stage 2 package).

I am going to have to tackle the suspension (and tires) next, though. I've got wheel hop something fierce that scares the poo poo out of me - I keep waiting on something to explode into little pieces. I'll probably get to it about April or so. I'll really be interested in how you like the Steeda goodies you got and how well it helps put the power to the ground.

edit: It's likely a band aid fix, but I'm going to give this a shot before I go hog wild with the rest.

If you're lowered, have adjustable LCAs, plan to go low in the future, or have LCA relocation brackets I'd look towards an upper control arm that allows for more adjustment or an adjustable mount. I know BMR is coming out with some new spherical UCA hotness so it might be worth going with the tried and true package.

BMR Bolt-in Control Arm Relocation Brackets (2005-2014)
BMR Panhard Rod, DOM, On-car Adjustable, Polyurethane Bushings (2005-2014)
BMR Upper Control Arm Mount (2011 - 2014)
BMR Upper Control Arm, DOM, On-car Adjustable, Poly Bushing (2011 - 2014)
BMR Upper Panhard Rod Support (2005-2014)
Ford SVT Lowering Springs 1.25" or BMR SP009 (1", 1.25")
BMR Lower Control Arms, DOM, On-car Adjustable, Polyurethane & Rod End Combo (2005-2014)

To finish it off you'd need
MM camber plates + QA1 Coilover fronts + Viking rear double adjustable shocks for drag/strip/street roll use

OR

GT500 upper strut mounts, Koni Yellow, Tokico D spec struts and shocks.

I'm sure either way you'd be happy, but wheel hop can take a bunch of parts to fix.

Go from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHHtndai2ms

to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD12TIjKmow

Looking at a Tial Q 50mm BOV now trying to prevent myself from buying a present :(

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Now that is sexy, thanks for the info. Not lowered at the moment but I wouldn't mind about a 1 inch drop.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

loving sold.

Not that I have anything against BMR, but my tentative plan is to go with a full Hotchkis kit and Koni Yellows. That is if I can ever stop spending money on my 4x4.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I admit I dont know much about the 05+ mustang suspension setup but I thought upper control arms are complete junk, I thought there are all kinds of snazzy upgrades you can do to avoid wheel hop? or are the upper control arms just junk in the 94 to 2004 models? Do the 2005+ mustangs no longer have binding issues with UCAs?
When I removed my UCA's and got a torque arm is was like night and day difference! I guess they dont make em for the 05+? what about a griggs 5 link setup can 05+'s do that? then you can get rid of the UCA's?

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Geology posted:

loving sold.

Not that I have anything against BMR, but my tentative plan is to go with a full Hotchkis kit and Koni Yellows. That is if I can ever stop spending money on my 4x4.

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!

If I didn't pull the trigger so soon I would have gone with their 7075 spaced spherical UCA, but their UCA mount is not as adjustable as Steeda.

As of right now I have

Tokico D specs (4f/5r), Steeda Ultralight springs, GT500 USM, BMR LCA relocation bracket, BMR adjustable pan hard, BMR pan hard support brace with some more Steeda bits to go in.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What's the proper way to buy these for cheap? I've got the Ford X Plan through work, or do you wait for rebates at a certain time of the year?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

blargle posted:

What's the proper way to buy these for cheap? I've got the Ford X Plan through work, or do you wait for rebates at a certain time of the year?

I got my 2012 V6 Premium in April 2012, right as 2013s were becoming commonplace, for $24k (sticker MSRP at $28k).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

blargle posted:

What I did was email 9 of the Ford dealers in my city, 4 were willing to price quote against each other, and go with the guy who wins the bidding. I ended up WAY under X-plan.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

blargle posted:

Wait until the '15 comes out (late '14). Then buy a '16 model after they have had time to sort some of the new gen gremlins. As good as the current gens are, the '15 looks to be that much better.

But if you have to have one now, do what Weinertron (awesome name, btw) said. Solid advice.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

kalvick posted:

I admit I dont know much about the 05+ mustang suspension setup but I thought upper control arms are complete junk, I thought there are all kinds of snazzy upgrades you can do to avoid wheel hop? or are the upper control arms just junk in the 94 to 2004 models? Do the 2005+ mustangs no longer have binding issues with UCAs?
When I removed my UCA's and got a torque arm is was like night and day difference! I guess they dont make em for the 05+? what about a griggs 5 link setup can 05+'s do that? then you can get rid of the UCA's?

The 05+ only have one upper control arm, so no bind like the old suspensions. The upper control arm does the same job as a torque arm: controlling axle wrap.
I'd really like to see a side-by-side comparison of a torque arm and a 3-link, but I'm guessing an adjustable upper control arm with hard/solid bushings will beat any torque arm in price-to-performance ratio.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Tide posted:

Wait until the '15 comes out (late '14). Then buy a '16 model after they have had time to sort some of the new gen gremlins. As good as the current gens are, the '15 looks to be that much better.

But if you have to have one now, do what Weinertron (awesome name, btw) said. Solid advice.

Yeah, I'll probably go from my 14 to a 16 in a couple years; I'm always wary about the first model year.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The first runs are probably going to be ridiculously marked up by the dealer anyway.

In other news, the Roush 3rd link reduction kit has been installed. Results are good, much better than it was before. I have a feeling that when I go to a wider rear tire, the wheel hop will probably return. The factory 235mm wide Pirellis just weren't meant to contain 600+ HP :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I've been following this thread for a few months now and you all are a great source of commentary. I'm not much of a customization guy (unless it's the sound system) and the Ecoboost V6 in the new Mustang sounds like the best of both worlds out of the box. Getting more power than an 00's base Mustang and more fuel efficiency matters more to me than the hypothetical Platonic ideal of a V8. It doesn't hurt that the new design is pure sex and the logical extension of the fifth gen look.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've been following this thread for a few months now and you all are a great source of commentary. I'm not much of a customization guy (unless it's the sound system) and the Ecoboost V6 in the new Mustang sounds like the best of both worlds out of the box. Getting more power than an 00's base Mustang and more fuel efficiency matters more to me than the hypothetical Platonic ideal of a V8. It doesn't hurt that the new design is pure sex and the logical extension of the fifth gen look.

The new EcoBoost engine is actually a 4-banger, not a V6.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I asked over in the A/T What Car Should I Buy thread about replacing my daily drive with something more sporty while still minimizing cost of ownership. I've always liked muscle cars in general but never seriously considered owning one as I assumed they'd be too expensive, but someone there mentioned Mustangs in with all the Infinity and Mazda chat so I wanted to look into it more thoroughly.

For comparison I currently tool around in an ancient Rav4 that, to its credit, is a loving rock in terms of reliability. It just doesn't do so hot north of 60mph :corsair: So anything made in the last 15 years would be a huge upgrade by default. If I'm looking for a used 6-speed stick with the highest mpg/safety and lowest maintenance expenses, what models/years should I be focusing on? I've got no strong preference to any specific body style and as long as it comes with A/C and a CD player I'm good for the interior.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're specifically looking for 6 gears, only the GT500s came with them until 2011, when they put a new 6-speed in the base and GT models as well. If you just want a manual, I've never heard anything bad about the powertrains in any of the newer models, aside from the 6-speed GTs ironically (occasional issues on, i believe, the 2-3 shift). 05 to 2010 will have the 3-valve 4.6, which puts out 300hp, same as the current V6, and can be had for fairly cheap. 99-04 is the New Edge bodystyle, and comes with the 2-valve 4.6, about 260hp. They're both pretty rock-solid mechanically, but I believe the consensus is the 3-valve has better upgradability if that's what you're looking for.

Depending on your budget, I'd say your best bet is the 05+ (S197 is what we call it) GT manual for performance; I'm seeing them in the $10-15k range around me. The 2010 has the revised sheetmetal and had SYNC as an option, but will be a bit more expensive, up to $20k, and anything with the 5.0 will still be well into the 20s. If you don't care about performance/modification as much, the New Edge GTs are a good choice too, and right now they're going for $5-7k around me, maaaaybe 10 if they're in immaculate shape.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Fucknag posted:

I'm seeing them in the $10-15k range around me. The 2010 has the revised sheetmetal and had SYNC as an option, but will be a bit more expensive, up to $20k,

At that price point, I'd personally just go for a new V6 base. It's the same horsepower with significantly better fuel economy and a warranty. You can grab one right now for under $20k with current incentives. Truecar in my area is saying that an average deal is $19500 with a great price going into the 18s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies. Yeah just looking for a manual, I thought 6-speed was the standard but if that's only come about in the last couple of years then it's not something I'll worry about. I won't be modding too much, I'm not remotely a car guy, for anything more than checking air pressure and fluid levels, maaaaaybe an oil change every now and then, I'll be taking it to a garage. 20k is my max I'm looking for, so you've both given me some options to consider.