Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

thiccabod posted:

I've had good luck with Thirstystone coasters. Had them for years and their level of absorption hasn't seemed to decrease at all:

https://a.co/d/1eXb5Kg

Lol, "last purchased November 22, 2015" if that gives any hint about their longevity

My mom bought me a set and I used them until they developed some stains that I couldn't scrub off. Bought my replacement set in... 2015!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Can anyone recommend a decent yoghurt maker? Ideally, one that can also make skyr, if that's even possible.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

thiccabod posted:

I've had good luck with Thirstystone coasters. Had them for years and their level of absorption hasn't seemed to decrease at all:

https://a.co/d/1eXb5Kg

Lol, "last purchased November 22, 2015" if that gives any hint about their longevity

My parents had these and I totally forgot they existed. Thanks for the reminder!

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Looking for a stainless steel mug of the highest calibur.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pipski posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent yoghurt maker? Ideally, one that can also make skyr, if that's even possible.

A crockpot is all you need or not even. Heat up milk, throw in yogurt culture, let it sit in the oven for a bit.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Alternately if you happen to find a second hand yoghurt maker or instant pot with that function free/cheap that is a also good option.

Moreover: people keep buying/ receiving single purpose appliances and giving those away, so if you're looking for say a breadmaker there's not many good reasons to buy new,.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I make literally all my food in an air fryer or instant pot.

My oven might as well be storage.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm starting to think I should buy an air fryer

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I have a cheap small one and it’s good for making chicken nuggets when I’m high. No I will not stop being a child.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Can anybody recommend a ~$30 wireless keyboard with touchpad for an HTPC? USB dongle or bluetooth. I have a Logitech K400+, and I like it a lot, but the range is really bad; I need to be within 6 feet of the dongle for it to work consistently and I'm hoping for more like 10-15 feet.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

A crockpot is all you need or not even. Heat up milk, throw in yogurt culture, let it sit in the oven for a bit.

And all you need to make skyr is just a little bit of liquid rennet. I make skyr in my instant pot nearly every week.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

Can anybody recommend a ~$30 wireless keyboard with touchpad for an HTPC? USB dongle or bluetooth. I have a Logitech K400+, and I like it a lot, but the range is really bad; I need to be within 6 feet of the dongle for it to work consistently and I'm hoping for more like 10-15 feet.

Make sure you're not on a USB 3.0 port, and try a USB extender (usb-A female to male) so you can get LOS to the reciever (yes, I know it's wireless, but objects do still attenuate wifi).

If you're not using bluetooth in the HTPC for anything else, turn it off; bluetooth uses the same bands as 2.4G wifi, which is also what logitech uses.

However, if that fails, you might want to try:
https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Ultrathin-Bluetooth-Multi-Touch-Microsoft/dp/B00XBTUK5M

Note that I've never used this keyboard but I've found their tablet/ereader cases generally work well and look very good for the price.

Of course, you could always use a bluetooth mouse and a K380/K480, but that's above budget.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

thepopmonster posted:

Make sure you're not on a USB 3.0 port

Huh, I never considered that. The HTPC in question is actually a Steam Deck with third-party dock, which only has USB 3.0 ports. I'll see if an extender improves performance.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm looking for a very small, possibly the smallest possible, MP3 player that can use a Micro SD card.

I've got a project in mind and I'm not sure I can pull it off at all, but if I can, it needs a very small MP3 player.

I'm giving my girlfriend an old, original 80's style "walkman" (not Sony, so technically just a portable cassette player) for her birthday because she loves the aesthetics of 80's/early 09's electronics She has some tapes, but I want to make it easier for her to take a lot of music on the go. I looked for an "MP3 plater in cassette adapter" format, thinking SURELY there were several out there for people to put in older cars, but...not so much. Only found one made years ago, so out of stock everywhere.
https://usb.brando.com/usb-cassette-mp3-player_p01122c035d15.html

Edit: V V V Yeah, I assumed I'd be able to find something there, but so far, nada. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 19:25 on May 31, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now I'm sorry I never got to buy one, they were all over AliExpress.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you're talking "small enough to fit inside a cassette player" kind of small, you might need to shuck something like one of the Sandisk players off Amazon. That could get you to <1/2" if you start with a skinny enough player first, although now you have exposed circuitry.

An alternative, if you're up for some relatively simple soldering: there are lots of DIY tutorials out there on how to make an MP3 player starting from a bare circuit board (which are all over ebay and AE). That would give you the flexibility to adjust the form factor, if again stick you with exposed circuitry.

(which just means you should get a 3D printer to build your own enclosure and :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking for a very small, possibly the smallest possible, MP3 player that can use a Micro SD card.

I've got a project in mind and I'm not sure I can pull it off at all, but if I can, it needs a very small MP3 player.

I'm giving my girlfriend an old, original 80's style "walkman" (not Sony, so technically just a portable cassette player) for her birthday because she loves the aesthetics of 80's/early 09's electronics She has some tapes, but I want to make it easier for her to take a lot of music on the go. I looked for an "MP3 plater in cassette adapter" format, thinking SURELY there were several out there for people to put in older cars, but...not so much. Only found one made years ago, so out of stock everywhere.

Edit: V V V Yeah, I assumed I'd be able to find something there, but so far, nada. V V V

Not exactly what you asked for, but maybe a Bluetooth adapter could work in a pinch instead of something with an SD card on it? Might even be better because you don’t need to pop the player open to get to the buttons on the tape.

Elook Car Audio Receiver, Bluetooth Cassette Receiver Tape Aux Adapter Player with Bluetooth 5.0 https://a.co/d/7SzJDsN

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, the idea is that she wouldn't have to have her phone with her. She likes to go on walks without her phone, but then she misses not having music/podcasts. She just is trying to get out of the habit of always wanting to look at her phone.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Doesn’t fit the cassette business at all but a smartwatch and some earbuds may be in order.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Pricey, but there's this: https://paulthings.com/products/mixxtape-bundle-1

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It is...but I'm sure whatever I cobbled together wouldn't be much less, IF it even worked. The advantage to this is that it also can do Bluetooth for when she's driving our truck (only has tape deck and CD player, and it's annoying to use the current AUX-to-Tape adapter since it then ALSO has to have an adapter to go from AUX to Lighting for her phone, Bluetooth simplifies the cords.)

The other advantage to this is because I'm sure she'd use the old Walkman for novelty a couple times and then give up on it, but this little tape guy can still be an independent MP3 player so she'd still be able to go sans phone if she wants.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Another alternative that you might consider: I know when Guardians of the Galaxy first came out, I followed a cosplayer on Instagram that just 3D printed an 80s Walkman (because the price for real ones shot through the roof on eBay) and just took the guts from a sandisk MP3 player and hooked it to some speakers and stuff inside the printed Walkman. I'd bet the files are plentiful and maybe you have somewhere to print at cost/low cost in your area?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I wonder if anyone records podcasts to tape so they can listen on a Walkman

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowy posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the most popular players for true crime podcasts were iPhone > Android > Cassette

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snowy posted:

even as a gimmick I doubt anyone has the patience to record audio to tapes (in realtime / at 1x speed) in 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

even as a gimmick I doubt anyone has the patience to record audio to tapes (in realtime / at 1x speed) in 2023

You have not met the mall walkers

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there a high heat sealant or whatever than I can put on a pan that will keep it from staining on the bottom so badly?

I have a few old stainless steel pots with copper to bottoms. The bottoms look great when I buff them out a little - a solid bright copper color with a great luster. But even a single use and it's back to dull brown.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So around the neck personal fans have become more prevalent, and with my absurdly hot workplace, I want to get a really good one. What is the best one on the market? There's a billion dollar store ones on Amazon but I want a really powerful one even if it's expensive.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there a high heat sealant or whatever than I can put on a pan that will keep it from staining on the bottom so badly?

I have a few old stainless steel pots with copper to bottoms. The bottoms look great when I buff them out a little - a solid bright copper color with a great luster. But even a single use and it's back to dull brown.

Nothing that I'm aware of, that's just part of using pans like that. I've now got all my parents' old revere ware pans and that's always just been part of cleaning them for me. I do recommend cameo copper cleaner, takes like 20 seconds to get a pan back to that bright copper color.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Head attached fans have become popular?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wendigee posted:

Head attached fans have become popular?
I work in a poorly-ventilated warehouse that was 100 degrees yesterday, stagnant, and humid. everyones shirts were soaked through. it's awful. so yeah people are starting to wear fans like this one that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTVKBB4

it hooks easily around your neck and is unobtrusive, it's pretty decent for the iirc 12 bucks I paid at the time, but it's just not enough even on high. so I was hoping some folks here had recommendations for good quality more powerful ones.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I work in a poorly-ventilated warehouse that was 100 degrees yesterday, stagnant, and humid. everyones shirts were soaked through. it's awful. so yeah people are starting to wear fans like this one that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTVKBB4

it hooks easily around your neck and is unobtrusive, it's pretty decent for the iirc 12 bucks I paid at the time, but it's just not enough even on high. so I was hoping some folks here had recommendations for good quality more powerful ones.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Unfortunately every wearable fan I can find is about the same, it seems the only way to get a better performing one would be DIY and also much heavier.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I like the cool towels that you can get wet and then wrap around your neck, those saved me back when I was doing EPDM roofing in 30+ degrees

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are frogg toggs still a thing? They were great for helping keep cool while standing in a field at 110 degrees. Combo that with a fan and you’d be sitting pretty.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Grassy Knowles posted:

I like the cool towels that you can get wet and then wrap around your neck, those saved me back when I was doing EPDM roofing in 30+ degrees

I like these too and I bought this one ages ago and still use it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y51WW5S; they have "NEO" one with WHITE FIBERS THAT ABSORB LESS HEAT idk if that makes a difference unless maybe youre in direct sun https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Microfiber-Instant-Camping-Football/dp/B08688GFT1

Having that and a fan on cools me off pretty well, will just need to get it wet again after a while. You want the towel soaked but not dripping wet, else the evaporation doesnt work so well.

Warbird posted:

Are frogg toggs still a thing? They were great for helping keep cool while standing in a field at 110 degrees. Combo that with a fan and you’d be sitting pretty.

I can't remember what frogg toggs are made of, but I've had a cooling towel made of a different material that was as hard as a cracker when dried but worked better than the microfiber, however there was a warning not to use it for extended periods else it will suck the oils from your skin.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Frogg toggs and other evaportive cooling stuff (or even just dumping water on your clothes although you'll have to do it more frequently) works great as long as the humidity is low. It does not work at all in places where the humidity is high

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
They also make cooling vests with ice inserts.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Mushroom supplements? I like the four sigmatic coffee but don’t always want to drink coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so with the amazon sale going on right now, I want to get a new doorbell. are there any good doorbells in the prime day sale or is it all junk

possibly one with camera -> smartphone functionality