Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

2.2k new cases today yaaaaaay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

realbez posted:

This is great, but I keep seeing their good uptake getting attributed to them being smarter than their elders. They probably are, but they’re getting jabbed faster because there’s no need to be hesitant about AZ anymore, there is no supply issue anymore, and their parents are taking them to get jabbed ASAP. 12-15 year olds don’t make their own medical decisions

Yeah I suppose, but it feeds into my narrative about old people. I'm as guilty as anyone of that but don't ruin my fun!

As someone pointed out earlier, the one number "they" can't fudge is how many people are getting vaccinated. With all the anti-vaxxers and hesitancy and etc getting breathlessly reported on it's a huge relief to see that some many Australians are just getting jabbed. I think we should get over 90% double jabbed by Xmas.

It's extraordinary that we have overtaken America already despite their head start. Extraordinary in the sense that it seems roughly 25% of the US population is simply not going to get the free life saving vaccine.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Edit - nevermind

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 14, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Illuminti posted:

As someone pointed out earlier, the one number "they" can't fudge is how many people are getting vaccinated

Yeah there is already some places getting up to 95-98% single vaxxed, which is a lot higher then people were thinking we could get up to. If most places can get to that double vaxxed it will be pretty amazing.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
NSW is currentlty sitting at 77.80% double dosed, which pretty much guarantees it will hit 80% on the weekend. Dom better hurry up and decide whether he's going to delay regional travel or not.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

NSW is currentlty sitting at 77.80% double dosed, which pretty much guarantees it will hit 80% on the weekend. Dom better hurry up and decide whether he's going to delay regional travel or not.

He just did, and it’s a no

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

lnp got the message that their voters don't give a gently caress if they massacre indigenous communities with plague again. they must be so relieved. praise jesus

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lolie posted:

Has he said anything about moving up the '80% mark' reopening phase to next Monday?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
didn't get vaccinated against hailstorms did you shitney :smuggo:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

or tornados

https://twitter.com/bom_nsw/status/1448520059132026882?s=21

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Infinitum posted:

Has he said anything about moving up the '80% mark' reopening phase to next Monday?

The 80% mark was never tied to a date and when he was asked whether restrictions would lift on Monday if Sydney hit 80% on the weekend he said yes, but he said he wouldn't make a decision on regional travel until he met with the crisis cabinet. It's always looked like NSW would hit 70% and 80% about a week apart. The big question was whether a change of Premiers would substantially alter the roadmap.

We just had hail the size of golf balls here.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 14, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

‘A COVID-positive 31-year-old NSW man who arrived in Tasmania without a valid border pass fled hotel quarantine and was found by police yesterday afternoon at an address in Hobart's northern suburbs, Premier Peter Gutwein says.‘

There goes tasmania I guess

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-14/fake-doctor-alleged-false-covid-exemptions/100539676

quote:

A woman charged with pretending to be a doctor and issuing 600 fake "medical exemption" certificates for COVID-19 "doesn't believe she's done anything wrong" and is "entitled" to issue the certificates, Queensland police say.

Key points:
- Police said the woman does not hold a medical doctorate and is not registered as a health practitioner within Australia
- She was charging up to $150 for fake "medical exemption" certificates
- She faces fines up to $10,000 and potential jail time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jesus just take the loving vaccine

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

There was a doctor in Colac doing something similar.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lolie posted:

I'd be surprised if there weren't a bunch more around that just haven't been caught yet.

Seems very on brand for anti-vaxxers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Beffer posted:

And on top of that, I think nuclear is not politically viable, no matter how hard Murdoch campaigns for it.

I suspect this is exactly why murdoch is campaigning hard for it, becuase if we can deadlock in an argument, then status stays quo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

:ironicat: but with love

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is why we have to go so hard on vaccine certificate enforcement for a while. There's, like, 5-10% of people who won't take it because NWO/big govt/natural body organic food hippie wellness Instagram influencer/anti-authoritarianism/sovereign citizen bullshit, or some combination thereof. But I bet very few of them are actually that deeply devoted to it and I bet we can chip away at a solid 5-8% of that cohort if we make it really loving clear that unless you relent you are never stepping foot in a pub or cafe again.

edit - and unless I'm mistaken NSW's policy is to drop the vaccination cert requirement from December 1 which just seems so insanely short sighted. Keep it in place forever in my opinion, but failing that, at least keep it in place for 6-12 months! What the gently caress else is the point?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

StrangeThing posted:

There isn't one, nor should there be one. We are on track to reach 90%+ vaccination rates and as we've shown before, eradicating Delta is simply not possible under the circumstances. Melbourne will not tolerate another lockdown. We're in the two weeks right now when Burnett modelling indicated we could see as many as 2900 cases a day. So we're not even at our modelled peak yet.

Previously Dandrews has said he may delay certain things opening if hospitals are not coping.

Who's alt are you

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

realbez posted:

He just did, and it’s a no

That seriously makes no sense. Greater Sydney is heavily vaccinated.

If the concern is that some regional areas have low vaccination rates, then travel between regional areas shouldn't have opened up on Monday.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

freebooter posted:

edit - and unless I'm mistaken NSW's policy is to drop the vaccination cert requirement from December 1 which just seems so insanely short sighted. Keep it in place forever in my opinion, but failing that, at least keep it in place for 6-12 months! What the gently caress else is the point?

This is the part that shits me the most, tbh

Two monthsish of decency and then ??? gently caress it who cares

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

StrangeThing posted:

There isn't one, nor should there be one.

With lives literally on the line, there bloody well should be multiple paths of governmental response.

Budzilla posted:

If you asked me 15 years ago should Australia get nuclear power I would say yes. But renewable energy is so good now and continually improving I don't see the point in a place like Australia with a low population and lack of energy intensive industries make it a viable option. So nuclear is a non-starter for myself in Australia for that reason alone.

This is my position, too.

I used to be 100% pro regulated nuclear industry, now I just don't see the need.

Also, just loving lol at a nuclear industry with our federal government of witless mooks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

swimsuit posted:

whats the auspol take on workers, specifically hospitality and retail, having to check vaccination status? (in VIC)

It's going to be a loving nightmare of abuse and violence and no one will help them.

KTS posted:

It's going to suck rear end. Pretty much daily I'm dealing with idiots angry they can't come in to shop and don't want to place C&C orders. I've already gotten into it a few times with anti vaxxers and anti lockdown pricks so honestly not looking forward to opening up and dealing with it hundreds of times a day

I can't even express my sympathy for you.

I worked retail many moons ago and still have friends and family who do. I couldn't even imagine having to deal with this on top of the regular, every-day bullshit and abuse.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 14, 2021

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Our house has no grid electricity connection at all so solar, battery and a generator are our only sources of power. Australia is stupidly well suited to solar, even in cloudy central Vic.

Since moving in, the generator has provided about 300 kwh of power and the solar 9000kwh and I could still fit another 4kw of panels on the roof. For most of the year the panels only run full power till 10ish in the morning till the battery recharges then they just load match for the rest of the day. For domestic power in this country solar is pretty incredible.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

regulated nuclear industry

I think this part right here has always been the real sticking point. Given the race to privatise everything combo'd with how the quality and legal-obligation-compliance-ability of everything is also vastly in decline and has been for decades, the notion of letting some company run anything nuclear is a nightmare.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

Who's alt are you

it's me.

i mean, i'm them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lolie posted:

poo poo, I just remembered this story from a mate who works retail in Geelong I DMed him to confirm it, and back at the start of the pandemic, when he still gave a poo poo about checking people wearing masks in the store, he had a bunch of people claim medical exemptions. All were young blokes, tradies.

All had a note from the same clinic in Colac, but he couldn't remember the name. I wonder if it was the that one.

I also asked him about checking vaccination status and he said he hasn't been told anything about that yet, but he certainly won't be doing it. Not because he doesn't want to, but out of sheer self defence from abuse and violence.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There was a mention in the thread earlier of how Blue Hydrogen is an emissions con, and it is nice to see some big voices speaking out against it:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-14/twiggy-forrest-accuses-nationals-of-coal-fearmongering-for-votes/100537902

quote:

Mr Morrison has said the government hopes to reach carbon neutrality "preferably" by 2050 through a combination of emerging technologies and without taxation.

Energy Minister Angus Taylor has previously promoted "clean" hydrogen —produced using fossil fuels, but with emissions abated through carbon capture and storage — as a model for reaching net zero.

But Mr Forrest said even if the government committed to net zero, the plan to use "clean" hydrogen and carbon capture technology would not work.

"Angus [Taylor] and I have had a chat, and I have agreed to not say, 'Carbon capture and storage fails 19 out of 20 times,'" Mr Forrest told the ABC.

"To compromise, I've agreed I will say, 'It fails, and correctly, 9 out of 10 times.'

"I wouldn't be banking our kids' future on a proven failure."

Mr Forrest said the government and the country's biggest emitters should be leading the transition away from coal.

"If people like me do not change, if I don't lead from the front ... we need people like me and all of them to be leading the way."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just turn on the 5g already so the compliance murder drones can id me as illuminati ready and I don't have to heard about antivaxers ever again.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m extremely sceptical of anything loving twiggy Forrest says, but if his con is just that he’s made investments so that a pivot to renewables is effectively pouring taxpayer funds directly into his pocket then that’s a trade off in totally fine making.

Similar to the NFF, just pay them whatever it takes to make them gently caress off and kick the Nats into line.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

freebooter posted:

By the time December 1 arrives we'll plausibly be looking at 95% vaccination rate, it wouldn't seem like there's going to be any urgent need to police vaccination status when the non-vaccinated are going to be such a minority.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m extremely sceptical of anything loving twiggy Forrest says, but if his con is just that he’s made investments so that a pivot to renewables is effectively pouring taxpayer funds directly into his pocket then that’s a trade off in totally fine making.

Similar to the NFF, just pay them whatever it takes to make them gently caress off and kick the Nats into line.

I heard him on the radio today cracking the shits about WAs "green tape" and how Mark McGowan won't let him build green infrastructure in WA, so he has to build it in QLD instead. (A hydrogen production plant of some kind)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seemlar posted:

By the time December 1 arrives we'll plausibly be looking at 95% vaccination rate, it wouldn't seem like there's going to be any urgent need to police vaccination status when the non-vaccinated are going to be such a minority.

I sat in on a Vic state government industry briefing today and when asked about this changing they laughed at the question and said no it's not changing any time soon.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Seemlar posted:

5% is 1 out of every 20 people and most hospo businesses, even small cafes, see at least hundreds of patrons a day. That's dozens of unvaccinated people.

What benefit is there to broader society to tolerating them? gently caress 'em. Get vaccinated or gently caress off. Make that a hashtag or a slogan or whatever. If I had a pub I'd put it in big loving neon letters on the roof.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewCatsaras/status/1448542947394215939

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

5% is 1 out of every 20 people and most hospo businesses, even small cafes, see at least hundreds of patrons a day. That's dozens of unvaccinated people.

What benefit is there to broader society to tolerating them? gently caress 'em. Get vaccinated or gently caress off. Make that a hashtag or a slogan or whatever. If I had a pub I'd put it in big loving neon letters on the roof.

Yeah delta has a high enough chance of breakthrough and public health is already a dog's breakfast. Adding another can of Pal to the mix won't be anyone's priority.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

GoldStandardConure posted:

I heard him on the radio today cracking the shits about WAs "green tape" and how Mark McGowan won't let him build green infrastructure in WA, so he has to build it in QLD instead. (A hydrogen production plant of some kind)

From memory he's put it forth twice to build this "green hydrogen plant" but both times its been on the edge of a pristine maritime reserve or similar and the government has rightly gone 'gently caress off'. Lots of places to build it, not sure why he wants to trample untouched nature to do so. Probably to hide all the coal they'll burn.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Konomex posted:

From memory he's put it forth twice to build this "green hydrogen plant" but both times its been on the edge of a pristine maritime reserve or similar and the government has rightly gone 'gently caress off'. Lots of places to build it, not sure why he wants to trample untouched nature to do so. Probably to hide all the coal they'll burn.
Because the land isn't suitable for development, which means it's cheap if you happen to be the dickhead who can force the development through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

This thunderstorm owned there was lightning popping off real close for a solid 10 mins.