Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Who remembers the reddit or GBS saga with a girl complaining that her boyfriend never wiped his butt because he thought it was gay? The only thing Google could find is apparently it's pretty common. Terrible people stuff ITT.

*Edit* well this was a crappy page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not Wolverine posted:

Who remembers the reddit or GBS saga with a girl complaining that her boyfriend never wiped his butt because he thought it was gay? The only thing Google could find is apparently it's pretty common. Terrible people stuff ITT.

*Edit* well this was a crappy page snipe.

doo doo-rear end havin' mans

https://twitter.com/MasculineTakes/status/1348868626321797120?s=20

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I always thought a heated steering wheel was stupid and frivolous. Until I got one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Heated seats are nice but they feel like you peed

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

My anaconda shames my buns unless they're frozen, son.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always thought a heated steering wheel was stupid and frivolous. Until I got one.

I was the same with heated wheels, and cooling vented seats. Until I got to use them. Warm hands in the morning, and no swamp rear end in leather seats after 4 hours of driving. Butt care is important yo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

This guy's rear end is crusted together from not wiping thoroughly, isn't it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been considering offering to buy my dad's 2016 Cayenne Diesel, but I don't know that I want to deal with maintaining the thing or paying what he will want. I'll look into the slightly older ones and their Audi family though.

To be clear, I have a ~2200lb Miata, a ~1400lb Featherlite 14ft aluminum trailer with a tire rack, a couple sets of wheels, some tools, etc. It is one of those dumb in-between areas where you're pretty borderline with most of the normal SUV rated capacities.

I don't know that a 2016 would have the towing capacity. The first gen Cayennes are the ones that were BUILT. This thing has a 2-speed transfer case and rear locker from the factory. This was the "must be able to run Transsyberia Rally in stock form" truck, which was their marketing/proving when these things came out.

Wasabi the J posted:

NGL I didn't imagine you drove a Porsche.

Hope that don't offend, just didn't fit my mental pic of you lmao.

None taken. Almost nobody uses these things the way they were meant except for me and like 2 other people I've come across. I get some looks dragging a dump trailer around with it. Also, I run sweep and close the stages/pull cars out of the woods at New England Forest Rally in this thing.

Also, at this point I don't think there's a less expensive way to get 500 horsepower.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I liked heated seats because I prefer to have the cabin cool, and every female that rides with me (wife, coworker) prefer it quite a bit warmer so I put their seat warmer on in case they don't themselves and problem solved.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

My favorite is the mid 00's Police Crown Vic compared to the regular cab F150 with the same engine, transmission, and 3.55 rear axle. They're the same length, width, weight, the F150 has almost 1 extra inch of ground clearance and 5 extra in the wheelbase length, but they are almost the exact same car. One is rated for 1500lbs, and the other is rated for 7200lbs.

Maybe the "Severe Duty" suspension on the Vic is just marketing fluff and is nowhere near as good as the F150, and wheelbase does matter a lot, sure. However they're the same exact engine and drivetrain moving two vehicles of almost identical weight and dimensions. I'd expect the F150 to be 2, maybe even 3 times better at towing, that's what it's built for, but almost 5 times better? Nah, I don't buy that for a second :tinfoil:

I think it's related to the watts linkage on the crown vics, I don't know what it has to do with towing but that's the explanation I've heard before.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

I'd bet the F150 has a lot more spring capacity though. The Raptor loses a lot of towing capacity too, due to its soft off-road suspension.

I'd say it's a mix of your theory, and there's also a market in the other parts of the world to haul with small vehicles because that's what most people drive. Caravanning with small travel trailers is popular, so manufacturers are pressured to rate their vehicles for pulling trailers. That doesn't mean it's great for the drivetrain in a car that was not really designed with hauling as a primary function.

That's pretty much it. Big ol' leaf springs versus a 5-link with coils. Also, note that the towing cap went down on the CV in '04 when they went to the revised suspension. Still bullshit, mind you, that it's as low as they say. It's still a full-framed V8 large sedan. A set of airbags (which some civilian CVs came with already...) should get you some pretty astounding towing capacity.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think it's related to the watts linkage on the crown vics, I don't know what it has to do with towing but that's the explanation I've heard before.

Yeah, that's apparently what lowered it in '04.
I just use mine for towing a Harbor Freight trailer anyway. The trailer should give out before I reach the limit of the car...

And I like the heated seats in our Outback. I don't like being cold, and my 50-year-old back really appreciates the heat therapy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

I was the same with heated wheels, and cooling vented seats. Until I got to use them. Warm hands in the morning, and no swamp rear end in leather seats after 4 hours of driving. Butt care is important yo.

I drove a '95 Buick Century Special with an air vent that pointed straight towards the driver's crotch. The car was terrible but that one feature made up for a lot.

Burgundy over burgundy fish fur/vinyl with a burgundy and brown dash. Burgundy spare tire cover in the burgundy carpeted trunk. The interior was spotless, perfect, mint. Driving in it felt so dirty though. Like you are in grandma's boudoir and why is that sticky!? It didn't have to smell like cigarette to feel like it smelled of cigarette. Ever sit on a chair that is canted ever so slightly forwards? The Buick is the pot and you are a frog. Escape. the. Buick.

The cup holders were broken, too. I bought holders that fit in the window channel. Still feel a twinge of regret about that toll attendant's uniform.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My '70 Cutlass, and, interestingly, my former '90 RX-7, had crotch blower vents. They are blissful in a hot Texas summer.

In terrible news, Corvette SUV:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-14/gm-said-to-work-on-expanding-corvette-line-with-crossover-suv

See, Ford? See what you started with the "Mustang" Mach-E?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Motronic posted:

I don't know that a 2016 would have the towing capacity. The first gen Cayennes are the ones that were BUILT.

The 958 series is rated for the same 7700lb of towing as the earlier 955 and 957 so there shouldn't be any issues there. The 955's certainly are beasts, just a shame they had the cylinder scoring issues on the NA V8's. I quite liked mine when I had it. Having the 15 diesel now, it's much improved in terms of interior layout and aesthetic, although they scaled back on the ruggedness compared to the first gen, assuming it was for weight/cost savings and that the target demo does not care.

The sheet metal thickness on the first gen is just astounding, and as mentioned the low range and lockers are a pro feature if you use it as intended and not just mall crawling. The 958 has a similar selector switch for "off road" but I think it may just be a center diff lock, correct me if I'm wrong.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Darchangel posted:

My '70 Cutlass, and, interestingly, my former '90 RX-7, had crotch blower vents. They are blissful in a hot Texas summer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-14/gm-said-to-work-on-expanding-corvette-line-with-crossover-suv

My first crotch blower car was my 83 Z28 and it ruled, especially with no AC

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Darchangel posted:

I'm a broken record about my hate of suv's and crossovers, but why the gently caress does everything have to be a crossover or suv.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why are some guys afraid of their own asses?

Like Darchangel said (we have essentially the same car, down to the year and color, except mine is a base with only one option [autotragic], his is 1 step below the highest trim IIRC), I use my heated seats for my lower back (stupid physically demanding job). My rear end being warm is nice too, but I keep them on mostly for my back. Older Subaru seat heaters are also pretty drat weak, it takes a good bit to feel them - summer or winter. Give them 15 minutes and they do get nice and warm...

Now if I could somehow tie in heated pedals... my feet are what hurt the most these days. Particularly my heels (hello bone spurs, kindly gently caress off). I'm already at the point where I'm considering a cane, and I'm only in my 40s. :sigh: I need to find a new foot doctor, mine insists there's no way I'm feeling the bone spurs (they're huge spots on xrays, and if I can't feel them, why the hell can I not put any weight on my heels without wanting to rip the head off of the nearest puppy? I'm hobbling around like someone in their 90s who worked in a mine their entire life)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm a broken record about my hate of suv's and crossovers, but why the gently caress does everything have to be a crossover or suv.

'S what people buy, basically, though it could be argued that it's a chicken-egg problem.
To be fair, the utility is actually there on crossovers - they're a tall wagon.
I just don't understand why they're choosing to dilute the brand of a sports/muscle car with a CUV. It's like their marketing people have no idea what they're doing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Because that's what people are buying, unfortunately.

They make cars to make money, not any kind of political or social statement. In a few years, a new generation of buyers will be enamored of low slung road hugging sedans and crossovers and suvs will be Dad cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

The 958 has a similar selector switch for "off road" but I think it may just be a center diff lock, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, center diff lock is "off road" on those. And the 2-speed transfer case was "unnecessary" because of the 8 speed transmission (bullshit).

But yeah, the ruggedness on the first gens is just amazing. I've been beating the poo poo out of this thing both off road and towing and still use it as a daily driver. The most tragic thing about them is the old non-bluetooth nav/radio, which is easily swapped. There's really no target market large enough to justify the expense or the weight of all the poo poo on the 955s.

Just glad I got my hands on a decent low mileage one when I did. I have no idea what I will replace it with when the time comes. It will probably end up being replaced by two different things....likely a pickup and a GT car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

How are maintenance costs on those? I just looked on FB Marketplace, and there's an '05 S with 165K miles for $5500. It's even a very pretty blue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

How are maintenance costs on those? I just looked on FB Marketplace, and there's an '05 S with 165K miles for $5500. It's even a very pretty blue.

They have a few flaws but aren't all that bad on straight maintenance other than the turbo s models with PCCB (it's like $6k in parts for a front brake job).

The things you need to look out for is the bore scoring on NA V8s as already mentioned ("Cayenne S"), you want the plastic coolant lines under the intake manifold replaced, as well as the coolant Ts if it's a turbo. This is just a known thing....they start leaking at 80k or so and are replaced with metal ones. This is a
superior german plastics" problem, like the next: the loving SAI pumps. The fan blades shatter. So replace them before they do or plastic pieces end up going don the SAI tube to the vale on the back of the heads. It's a real pain in the rear end to get at.

Other than that, it's just heavy, high power, high strung SUV maintenance. It's gonna need over two gallons of synthetic oil per change (and two sumps to drain lol), you're gonna use up tires, and at 15+ years old you're gonna have typical things going wrong or already in maintenance debt like hood and hatch shockjs and other piddly poo poo that ends up be surprisingly expensive if you're used to buying parts for like, hondas or fords.

I do not recommend buying one unless you're willing and able to do your own work. That same advice applies to any 10+ year old formerly $120,000 or more vehicle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Are their bootleg systems for diagnostics like MB with Star/DAS/Xentry?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

Heated seats are nice but they feel like you peed

Peeing feels good.
So heated seats are like pee without the pee.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are their bootleg systems for diagnostics like MB with Star/DAS/Xentry?

Yeah. Pretty much everyone uses this:

http://www.durametric.com/

I've got the pro version so I can code features in/out and run it on unlimited VINs.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Corvette buyers are getting too old to be able to get in and out of the cars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That beats the heck out of the Benz solution with a multiplexor from alibaba and a 15 year old laptop running XP. Talk about an eye opener on how seedy that business is.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

But are cooled seats manly?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You can pry my heated seats from my toasty dead butt cheeks.

If at all possible my next car will also have a heated steering wheel and ventilated seats, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

They have a few flaws but aren't all that bad on straight maintenance other than the turbo s models with PCCB (it's like $6k in parts for a front brake job).

The things you need to look out for is the bore scoring on NA V8s as already mentioned ("Cayenne S"), you want the plastic coolant lines under the intake manifold replaced, as well as the coolant Ts if it's a turbo. This is just a known thing....they start leaking at 80k or so and are replaced with metal ones. This is a
superior german plastics" problem, like the next: the loving SAI pumps. The fan blades shatter. So replace them before they do or plastic pieces end up going don the SAI tube to the vale on the back of the heads. It's a real pain in the rear end to get at.

Other than that, it's just heavy, high power, high strung SUV maintenance. It's gonna need over two gallons of synthetic oil per change (and two sumps to drain lol), you're gonna use up tires, and at 15+ years old you're gonna have typical things going wrong or already in maintenance debt like hood and hatch shockjs and other piddly poo poo that ends up be surprisingly expensive if you're used to buying parts for like, hondas or fords.

I do not recommend buying one unless you're willing and able to do your own work. That same advice applies to any 10+ year old formerly $120,000 or more vehicle.

Thanks, good to know. I do my own work, generally.
could be fun. Or "fun."

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Motronic posted:

I know you'd like newer/cheaper but I do just fine at 8k lbs on a regular basis in my soccer mom SUV.

This is the first time I've ever seen AT tires on a Cayanne. And you say you pull out cars from ditches after rally stages with this thing? Thats amazingly hilarious. How dirty do you get this thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen AT tires on a Cayanne. And you say you pull out cars from ditches after rally stages with this thing? Thats amazingly hilarious. How dirty do you get this thing?

It comes back in pretty rough shape inside and out.

It felt like a good 4 or 5 lbs of Maine dirt in the shop vac by the time I was done cleaning from the last one (which was particularly dusty and I had to do a LOT of towing so I had my windows open).

On-stage photography courtesy of Cursedshibox:

(yes, I'm running a full lightbar for the event....I have the cord going out the passenger rear door since it's only temporary)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Darchangel posted:

Thanks, good to know. I do my own work, generally.
could be fun. Or "fun."

Go read my thread, I don't know if it's fallen into archives yet. Gives you an idea of how it is to work on them.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think this is a terrible car thing, but my car has a feature that I don't know how I'll live without; vents that bypass the HVAC system and draw unfiltered air in directly from the cowl

It spits leaves, snow, and all kinds of debris into the car, but it keeps the car from getting too stuffy and provides a nice little breeze when it's too cold to not have the heat on. Also, the missus likes the car burning hot and I can use it to keep both of us comfortable on drives

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

If at all possible my next car will also have a heated steering wheel and ventilated seats, too.

My 'new' Sonata has ventilated seats but they barely seem to do anything. Perhaps the little holes are blocked up.

It has a heated steering wheel too but it never gets cold enough here for that to be very useful.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

dissss posted:

My 'new' Sonata has ventilated seats but they barely seem to do anything. Perhaps the little holes are blocked up.

It has a heated steering wheel too but it never gets cold enough here for that to be very useful.

Probably blocked by the doodoo of the previous filthy animal that drove it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guinness posted:

If I could get my car with AC/ventilated seats, I’d trade in for a new one tomorrow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Go read my thread, I don't know if it's fallen into archives yet. Gives you an idea of how it is to work on them.

You have a Cayenne? Or do you mean your Boxster?
I found this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830037

And an earlier one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517370

edit: skipped to the end of the first one and found Cayenne stuff, so I'll look through that one.
Also, now I want to WRX my Outback.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blue On Blue posted:

Probably blocked by the doodoo of the previous filthy animal that drove it

Now I'm thinking of that Too Gear where they get the forensics guy to look over their cheap V12s and he keeps saying the phrase 'rolled nasal mucus'

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

My wife doesn’t like my Kia EV’s loud backup signal and some other issues but she’s a big fan of the heated seats and the ability to turn on the heat before we get into the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Might take a while to get to your place