Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Relax Or DIE posted:

Maybe they'll eventually give up on trying to force players into the 'field.'

I forgot about the twist of fate stuff they added until just recently when I saw it pop by chance as I was moving by.

The cool thing is that Diadem/Eureka is not even part of the "field", instead you have to dedicate your playtime to those specific instances - no questing, no "normal" fates or hunts, no queuing for other instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Maybe they'll eventually give up on trying to force players into the 'field.'

Diadem 8.0. The overworld is now Diadem. :supaburn:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This would be an improvement.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Verranicus posted:

This would be an improvement.

An improvement over Diadem for sure, but a detriment to the game as a whole.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Improve Diadem/Eureka by stealing the WoL from Smash so you can be the WoL in the WoL while you WoL the WoL.

Also spirits Espers from every Final Fantasy game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vermain posted:

Did you use a free trial on the Steam version beforehand? If so, I'd honestly recommend just registering a new service account if you're interested in playing. Level 15 doesn't take that long to hit again, especially on your second time through, and it's less of a hassle than trying to resell.

Nope I played all through ARR/HW on Steam, and decided I could use the 50% discount to pull my account off steam since it was the same price as Stormblood. But no, if your account is flagged as Steam at all then you will never be able to be not-Steam even if you rebuy the entire game. You can't move your character(s).

So, I have a Complete Edition that's useless to me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That would actually be an ever-so-slight net improvement.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
They could also keep the FFXI style game modes in FFXI and give us more cool dungeons, raids or trials, and relic steps that incentivize people going back to old content to keep the world alive rather than sticking them in a massively pointless instance where they can't even queue for poo poo, lol.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Enough of this malarky, let's get to the important topics of the day:

Will black mages get Five V in Shadowblood?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Cabbit posted:

If they dont, it's going to set a dangerous precedent where BLM spells don't get bigger numbers and that's completely unacceptable

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They get Fire 0, the Ur-Fire.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

They get Fire 0, the Ur-Fire.

I wouldn't mind getting a more visually impressive spell to replace Fire 1, really.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cabbit posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait for there to be another dumb timer to work around.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cabbit posted:

Plz

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

If they dont, it's going to set a dangerous precedent where BLM spells don't get bigger numbers and that's completely unacceptable

We already didn't get a new Fire in Stormblood unfortunately

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Foul still counts because it's just a fireless flare

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Countblanc posted:

I was willing to let stormblood slide because it gave BLMs the ability to do more flares but its a slippery slope

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I feel bad for whoever has to design the new BLM because the class is perfect right now and you can not improve on perfection.

But on a personal level, I would like some bigger fires please.

e: maybe more flares too

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

They gave us umbral hearts which isn't a new fire, but it lets us do more fire. That's almost as good!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Okay everyone

How about this

*clears throat

Foul. 2.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
2 Foul 2 Flareious

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The most important changes to make to BLM are at its low levels. You should get some version of Enochian and Fire 4 (“void fire”) or something really early, like at level 15 or 20.

It would also be cool if you unlocked Umbral Ice III upon switching from THM to BLM to better fit the flavor of black mages being able to pull endless aether from the environment rather than their own bodies, but that would call for some really drastic changes to low level gameplay so I can’t in good conscience demand it.

As for new high level stuff I want to see Freeze and Burst become serious, raid-applicable attack spells. Also Foul upgrades to Ultima.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i can't contribute to BLM skill discussion but i can share a funny BLM related tale

in a recent HoH run i queued in as MCH and was partied with 3 BLMs. i got poxed on the very first floor. we had no pomanders to deal with it. we spent the next several floors having every BLM cast Erase on me on cooldown to try and stave off my impending death

i still died several times, but i laughed the whole way

thank you for listening

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'd like BLM procs to be more interesting.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

My BLM wish for next expac is just getting rid of the timer completely

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I would like my BLM procs to be less interesting so I can throw more fireballs in a predictable manner without having to stare at my skill bars.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
BLM will also get an overheat mechanic. Cast too many Fires without enough Blizzards to cool down and you overheat and explode.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AngusPodgorny posted:

BLM will also get an overheat mechanic. Cast too many Fires without enough Blizzards to cool down and you overheat and explode.

you shut your mouth, heretic

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

AngusPodgorny posted:

does the exploding do AoE damage though

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You explode, and then a Summoner comes and channels TeraFlare on your corpse to mock you.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

AngusPodgorny posted:

Healers please adjust to this as I will never cast blizzard again

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

While we're at it remove the cooldown from Convert so BLMs can finally put healer MP to good use

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Okay everyone

How about this

*clears throat

Foul. 2.

Nah, check it:

72: Flare Mastery-- Casting Flare advances the Polyglot timer by 5 seconds.

74: Fire Mastery-- Fire 4 now grants Astral Fire/removes Umbral Ice, as appropriate, and does not require Enochian. The new Fire 1.

76: Five 5-- Deals fire damage, does not grant Astral Fire, etc. The new Fire 4. Probably requires Enochian.

78: Ice Mastery-- Upgrades Blizzard 4 to Blizzard 5, which grants Umbral Hearts and a 30 second spell speed buff

80: Foul Mastery-- Casting Foul grants Calamitous Aether, transforming Flare into Quadflare.

Quadflare-- It's Flare, except it has an instant cast time, doesn't eat your MP, and the Flare Mastery benefits are doubled.

I expect my check in the mail, Yoshi-P.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cabbit posted:

Nah, check it:

72: Flare Mastery-- Casting Flare advances the Polyglot timer by 5 seconds.

74: Fire Mastery-- Fire 4 now grants Astral Fire/removes Umbral Ice, as appropriate, and does not require Enochian. The new Fire 1.

76: Five 5-- Deals fire damage, does not grant Astral Fire, etc. The new Fire 4. Probably requires Enochian.

78: Ice Mastery-- Upgrades Blizzard 4 to Blizzard 5, which grants Umbral Hearts and a 30 second spell speed buff

80: Foul Mastery-- Casting Foul grants Calamitous Aether, transforming Flare into Quadflare.

Quadflare-- It's Flare, except it has an instant cast time, doesn't eat your MP, and the Flare Mastery benefits are doubled.

I expect my check in the mail, Yoshi-P.

I'm down

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I want to see an Ultima spell or something that has a bunch of requirements and also a huuuge, not-swift-castable cast time, like 5s or 8s before spellspeed. But of course it would also deal like four Fouls’ worth of AoE damage.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ferrinus posted:

I want to see an Ultima spell or something that has a bunch of requirements and also a huuuge, not-swift-castable cast time, like 5s or 8s before spellspeed. But of course it would also deal like four Fouls’ worth of AoE damage.

I've said for ages that this is what I want out of summoner, instead of a god drat DOT pet class. Then I'd actually play it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

A super flare that tags one party member and grows in power every time they die during the run

No you can't target yourself because that would be too easy

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

A super flare that tags one party member and grows in power every time they die during the run

No you can't target yourself because that would be too easy

DRGs become mandatory.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For 5.0, we have responded to player feedback (drawn entirely from players who paid the maximum sub costs during 1.0) and re-implement elemental damage types and resistances. Fire/Blizzard/Thunder will be replaced with Attack1/2/3 lines and you can choose which elemental damage type each line uses while out of combat!

No we didn't let any other job change their elements why would we do that. Also Flare is locked to fire damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

You joke, but when BLU was announced to have elemental weaknesses, one guy in my LS was really hoping they would do that for everyone. When I mentioned how it would utterly screw BLM out of any fire resistant fight, or WHM out of earth, he told me that was good and some jobs should be intentionally awful for X content in order to promote leveling multiple jobs.