Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Guess who escaped his pen this morning~

Looks like I'm going to have to bunny-proof now so I can let him out of flea quarantine early. Any recommendations on cord protection? I live a hop and a skip away from a Home Depot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Foaming Chicken posted:

Guess who escaped his pen this morning~

Looks like I'm going to have to bunny-proof now so I can let him out of flea quarantine early. Any recommendations on cord protection? I live a hop and a skip away from a Home Depot

I buy rolls of conduit from the wiring section.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

DS at Night posted:

I think "mix" is the key word here. And I'm not saying all the small ones are evil but there is just a bigger chance of them being like... THAT.
I've seen my normally relaxed Billy fly across the whole room in one leap for no reason. They just get so happy sometimes. I've also seen him run headfirst into the central heating unit with a loud BWANG. I've seen Tsjoeka run headfirst into a drum kit (that one was particularly hilarious). They always just shake it off and keep running and jumping into things. It's good for them. Hard heads!
If they like greens they like greens. For reference this is what mine get on a daily basis. Bowl's bigger than my head. They've never been healthier.

Woah.

My buns get way less veg than that. My vet already had a talking to me about them being on the upper end of healthy weight, though, so I've cut back their food, which they hate, and I feel really bad about, because that means they're borderline frantic every mealtime. :/

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

When I was at the vet's for a nail trim and general checkup the other day she said they actually weighed a bit less than at the last visit.

:confused: I do give them pellets as well... maybe it's because they uhhhh burn a lot of energy wrecking the house all day.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I saw The Grey yesterday and man, some of the things that those wolves did reminded me of what my female dwarf does.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Sputnik just lies at the foot of the door of the other two bunnies' room for hours. The other two lie the same way on the other side and sometimes they bonk noses underneath the door.

The neuter is scheduled for the 28th of this month. I can't wait until he recovers so I can start introducing them.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Noise Complaint posted:

So cute, I want a giant bun!

In other bunny news: Cilantro went in for her annual check up yesterday and is, according to her vet, a model of perfect bunny health. All of her previous health issues resolved themselves back in July 2009, so we've just been watching what she eats to make sure she's not getting chubby.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

oh my god I love him!!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

I wanna squish that tummy! SAMe gave me a bit of a scare this weekend, on superbowl day she was laying down all funny and not reacting (not begging for treats) when I went near her condo, and when I opened it to let her out she ran off and flicked her feet at me but then immediately laid down again. I decided to try and entice her with some fatty-fat pellets which she loves so much but I give sparingly and she sniffed them but didn't bite and I knew something was wrong. I gave her some bell pepper to try and get water into her and just hoped, and around dinner time I heard her eating and after that she was fine. When she was still not feeling well I kept wishing I had some critical care or something, is there any way I can get some of it without a prescription from the vet?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Yeah, they sell it on Amazon. Just chuck it in the freezer and it will keep practically forever.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NVM Found it.

[Edit] Purchased from Amazon. Just having it will help me feel so much better!

okiecompy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 10, 2012

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I would also get some Baby Oval. It puts me at ease soo much!

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

I have been waiting to make this post for three and a half months! After months of bunny dates in the hallway, Fluffy nipping at/trying to attack Pia, and tufts of flying fur, Fluffy (almost-4-year-old dwarf mix, right) and Pia (almost-1-year-old Netherland dwarf, left) are now officially bonded! And now I get nothing done because now there's just continual bunny cuteness like this :3:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh yeah... think THAT's cute? Pssssh, here, have a pic of Billy using Tsjoe as an armrest. In spite of being such an unholy demon she does know how to calmly put up with a lot from him. And me.

(Gosh Billy looks tubby from that angle. He's like 95% hair I swear)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm very happy for you!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Today is Pepper's Birthday Observed, and they've been trying to get to my hay bale forever, so I just went ahead and got them a tupperware thingie to put it in so they can free feed outside of the cage. I'm thinking, who could hate on more hay for rabbits?

Pepper chases Camille away from it every time she tries to eat any. Now, Pepper's kind of a dick, and sometimes chases Camille because the sky is blue, but I'd still like Camille to be able to eat some of the awesome hay. They're otherwise bonded -- they both lick each other, share food inside the cage, take cuddle naps, so on. Any ideas as to what's going on and how to stop it?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Happy Valenbun's Day :3:

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
They're so sweet! I love the bunny butt-heart :) Penny and George do it all the time.

Penny was not his first love, though.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 15, 2012

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

I'm very happy for you!

I still can't tell if they're bonded or not. This might be as good as it gets. Or maybe in a few more months they'll get more used to the other being there.

Bean posted:

I'm thinking, who could hate on more hay for rabbits?

You might not end up being a big fan of all the free making GBS threads that's gonna come out of all the free hay feeding. Not that lots of hay is bad, but ideally they would have to stand in a litterbox to get at hay.

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 15, 2012

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Is there any hope of my rabbit mellowing out as he gets to know and trust me? I remember Lewis putting up a fight in the beginning but new bun is just so much more energetic/curious/spry. And angry about it.

Edit: I have stopped screaming CACAW as I reach in to snatch him

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 17, 2012

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Foaming Chicken posted:

Is there any hope of my rabbit mellowing out as he gets to know and trust me? I remember Lewis putting up a fight in the beginning but new bun is just so much more energetic/curious/spry. And angry about it.

It can happen, just be patient.

Foaming Chicken posted:

You should stop wearing the owl mask too.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Foaming Chicken posted:

I've had Portia for 4 years and she's still kinda feral. It's a personality thing I think. I also think that forced socialization works with rabbits but you have to put a lot of time and energy into it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Sputnik loves showing off his good litterbox habits! :)

He's outgrowing the biggest litterboxes we were able to find, though. :stare: Time to buy some Rubbermaid containers.

I can't wait for the neuter next week. The smell is a little offputting, even changing his boxes constantly.

He's starting to become incredibly affectionate though. He washed my entire face last night and when I tried to push him away he gave me a look like, "No, I'm not done, you're nowhere NEAR clean enough." and redoubled his efforts.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Noise Complaint posted:

He's starting to become incredibly affectionate though. He washed my entire face last night

Oh dude, you know they eat their own poo poo on like an hourly basis, right? You done got rabbitassfaced. :barf:

Seriously, he's an adorable bun. One day I want to start a giants-only rabbit rescue. :3:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

alucinor posted:

Oh dude, you know they eat their own poo poo on like an hourly basis, right? You done got rabbitassfaced. :barf:

Seriously, he's an adorable bun. One day I want to start a giants-only rabbit rescue. :3:

Hahaha, I thought about that, but then I thought about the amount of rabbit poo poo I handle on a daily basis. I'm probably already covered in whatever germs could be transferred.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

alucinor posted:

rabbitassfaced

This made my day.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So we are moving soon and the buns are going to live outside. It is a sad day when that happens, but I am in the process of constructing a giant dwarf bunny habitat for them to live in. I am also fabricating a bunny air conditioning system using peltier TECs and computer components. I think I can keep their houses at under 70 degrees even when it gets over 100 here.

I will update as the project progresses

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

does anyone else have a rabbit obsessed with eating hair elastics??!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Nah mine only love trying to pull buttons off clothing. Maybe because I don't wear anything in my hair.

So anyway I was stretching out a bit, like raising my arms over my head, and the demon beast runs up and bites me in the armpit. The ARMPIT. Which isn't as funny as it might sound, being quite a painful place and all.

Earlier in the week I was leaning down to give Billy a little pat on the head and she lunges at me from halfway across the room and sinks her teeth into my wrist. Fucker made like a one inch cut in the dead center. I'm not at all surprised that she would go for the arteries.

I hate her so much.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
What do you think the aggression is about? What are the antecedents?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

If I knew how to predict it I would have been able to avoid it :( I'm really not bad with rabbits or anything. Most of them love me. In fact I think the evil one is quite fond of me as well as she will climb on my lap and give me kisses and fall asleep curled up next to me and things like that. It might be that she thought I was reaching down to give Billy a treat. She gets insanely aggressive about food, real or imagined.

I already feed them separately and don't really give treats anymore as it always leads to fighting. I just can't do anything about it if she starts imagining food. But she'll also growl and attack if I'm giving Billy any kind of attention.

The armpit thing I think was just one of those random rabbit nips that are just to say "hey". I know other rabbits do it too but not nearly as hard or as often. Other rabbits don't bite down as hard as they can until they break the skin.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Is this your female dwarf? I love my female dwarf but her and my retarded lop were just in my room and I swear that every 30 seconds I was snapping or shouting "No!" or "HEY!" or pushing her face away from something.

I love her but she is a challenge. Especially when she acts so pleased with herself (binkies) when I'm angry. I know that most of it is for attention but I don't know how to give her "positive" attention because whenever I try she slithers away from me. She doesn't want to be petted or loved in any way. She just wants to be evil and be happy when it upsets me :tinfoil:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Sputnik broke out of his Xpen last night. I fell asleep in another room and I woke up to a panicked giant bunny thumping and running in circles under the couch I was on. When he saw me wake up he hopped on my lap and started licking the crap out of me. I wonder if he thought I was dead :3:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

Is this your female dwarf? I love my female dwarf but her and my retarded lop were just in my room and I swear that every 30 seconds I was snapping or shouting "No!" or "HEY!" or pushing her face away from something.

I love her but she is a challenge. Especially when she acts so pleased with herself (binkies) when I'm angry. I know that most of it is for attention but I don't know how to give her "positive" attention because whenever I try she slithers away from me. She doesn't want to be petted or loved in any way. She just wants to be evil and be happy when it upsets me :tinfoil:

I really can't be very mad if they're that happy when they get any kind of attention. I think every rabbit does this. I know Billy will have the time of his life when he's found a way into somewhere he's not supposed to be and I chase him out.

And yeah of COURSE the biter was the dwarf girl. I wonder how hard I'm gonna get laughed at if I ask a local shelter if they can trade her for a flemish giant dude?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

:stare: I put Sputnik back in his ex-pen after cleaning it this morning so I could let the other buns roam the rest of the house for a bit, went to do a bunch of stuff and came back to this.

He walked a line of poop all the way around the cage and trashed everything then passed out on his side in the empty litterbox.

Rabbits. :argh:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

that made me laugh out loud, which rarely happens. Sputnik looks awesome. Kind of like what I would imagine Paterson to be like if he wasn't so loving lazy.

DS, I hear you on the dwarf being annoying or whatever but I like to look at mine as being my little spoiled brat princess. Which is a good thing, because she has taught me a few things which has helped me when I want to be a spoiled brat princess. My favourite thing that she has taught me is "come here, go away".

just kidding. Hope that it ends up being okay for you. I wish that Bitsy would let me love her ever. At least recently I have seen her laying down a bit. My boyfriend joked that it was because she's getting fatter and her little legs can't support her anymore.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I also laughed aloud when I saw Sputnik. It's the kind of joke only a rabbit owner gets.

Gordon Freeman bit me the other day but it was probably only a nip. It surprised me because it was totally unprovoked. She's a jerk though, which I already know and love.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Noise Complaint posted:

He walked a line of poop all the way around the cage and trashed everything then passed out on his side in the empty litterbox.

This is amazing. I love that he was so unbothered that he let you take a picture.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Foaming Chicken posted:

This is amazing. I love that he was so unbothered that he let you take a picture.

Sputnik gives little to no fucks. I had friends over tonight who he's never met. He ran right up to them and started to eat their shoes. When pushed away he started to eat his cecals. Nice first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Noise Complaint posted:

Sputnik gives little to no fucks. I had friends over tonight who he's never met. He ran right up to them and started to eat their shoes. When pushed away he started to eat his cecals. Nice first impression.

You have a bro rabbit.