Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Scylla can't even do that!

Pictured: technically gripple bits!

Hmmm, maybe the fingers are magnetic? So you can still use them to hoist stuff, it is just mainly useful on larger metallic crates or containers.

Well, no, if that were the case, you could just rush up and clamp onto an enemy's back to win a fight, since as they move, you move. Kind of like a pair-dance off, except you're firing lasers in their back. Sort of like how the Battle Claw/Magnetic Claw for Battle armor works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There's always been something special for me about the Dasher / Fire Moth's weird dumb upraised fists:

They're for getting stuff off really high shelves or something? :confused:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Hmmm, maybe the fingers are magnetic? So you can still use them to hoist stuff, it is just mainly useful on larger metallic crates or containers.

Well, no, if that were the case, you could just rush up and clamp onto an enemy's back to win a fight, since as they move, you move. Kind of like a pair-dance off, except you're firing lasers in their back. Sort of like how the Battle Claw/Magnetic Claw for Battle armor works.

Still works, 'Mech armor is at least partly ceramic so I imagine there's not a lot to magnetize to. Works fine for little 1-ton battle armors but not so much for a 100-ton Assault 'Mech.

NmareBfly posted:

Overhead Arms quirk lets it blind-fire over cover. :pseudo:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 22, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

smooth jazz posted:

Will this game have Ostroc or Ostol?
I want my eggs 'n legs.
There is a list of mechs that are confirmed for the game in the OP beginning of the second post. If PGI has not made the mech asset for MWO then it will not be in this game.

No, no Ost-mechs. I would love to have them too :(

p.s. Q_Res, awesome OP!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

NmareBfly posted:

There's always been something special for me about the Dasher / Fire Moth's weird dumb upraised fists:

They were originally raised up so that they could carry elementals into battle at high speed slung under them then even the clans realized that was too dumb so now it's just constantly wooting

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Does the mech have enough tonnage/slots that you could feasibly replace the AC/2s with AC/5s? Maximum Dakka :getin:

As an alternate, you could replace the AC/2s and their ammo with Large Lasers and a bunch of extra heatsinks. Not quite as much damage and range as AC/5s, but you won't have to sacrifice some of the medium lasers or jump jets.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so who else is going to make their Mechs blue and gold to as a throwback to Mech Commander?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I think I'm going to try and make my Blackjack into a LaserJack. Yank out the AC/2s and ammo, you have enough tonnage to replace the arm medium lasers with large lasers, 4 extra sinks, and use the last ton to maximize your armor coverage.

It'll run hot as hell though, and several in-game biomes (lunar, martian, badlands) gently caress over your heat sinks so you may still want to keep around mechs with easy access to ballistics.

Also hate to beat a dead horse but:

Kanos posted:

I was almost 100% certain that neurohelmets only really keyed into the mech's sense of balance and equilibrium, rather than acting as some kind of neural control interface.

The Technical Readout book I read says that Battlemech neural helmets aren't direct control interfaces. They're used to identify a pilot (it reads your brainwaves and locks out unauthorized users) and to convey intent. Specifically, the 'Mech computer learns, as you pilot the mech, that 'yes, he really wants to tilt dangerously forwards while he's charging' and overrides the mech gyro to let it actually, you know, do that. When you select the mech hand option and hit the trigger, it picks up on your general intent (enemy mech vs cargo box vs civilian) and decides based on that how gentle you want to be. Actually controlling the Mech from one place to another is done on traditional physical controls, but the neural interface keeps you upright and lets you focus more on piloting than constantly flicking little mode switches and the like. (Some 'Mech cockpits also come with a virtual glove or two you can use when you want to be very specific about controlling the 'Mech's hands.)

This all records on a special data card called a BattleROM, by the way. When you move from mech to mech, you plug your BattleROM in and it basically brings your 'settings' over from one mech to the next. A MechWarrior who loses their BattleROM is generally in for a long annoying stint of being a complete newbie until they manage to 'break in' a new ROM profile.

The interface is only one-way, though - the helmet uses magnetic fields to read neural activity, but it can't actually send anything back. It's been tried several times over the centuries but it just turns out that the treshold for 'EM signal powerful enough to induce specific data in active neurons' is way higher than 'EM signal powerful enough to cook said neurons'. For a two-way link, you need a direct neural interface..

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was under the impression that the neural interfaces that Clanners could use (and are in fact mandatory for ProtoMechs) were so damaging to the mind that even the hyper militaristic Clans thought it wasn't worth the cost.

..which is a whole 'nother set of worms.

Specifically, this is exactly true. The technology for direct neural interfaces is still relatively crude. A number of Clan would-be pilots turn out to be so incompatible with the neural interface that the feedback cooks their nervous system. The ones that survive, well, they generally fail to survive long. Long-term exposure to the interface tends to lead to overtime neural damage, mental breakdowns, and in the most fun cases, a very specific kind of psychosis that essentially leads to the pilot being more or less addicted to the interface. Inside the ProtoMech, they feel like a steel giant, a god of war made manifest; outside, they're a weak soft puny little bag of flesh.

This generally tends to end up with said pilot deciding to never come out of the ProtoMech at all, followed by their sibko having to forcefully put them down when they go on a rampage as a 6-meter-tall war machine.

There's a MechWarrior RPG module out there somewhere where a mad scientist has been experimenting on neural interfaces on Solaris VII; he finally ends up using a neural linkage system he's cobbled together on a FrankenMech he's slapped together from salvaged 'Mech bits, is promptly overwhelmed by the rush from the battle computer, and goes on a Godzilla-esque rampage through downtown.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Are the maps procedurally generated or static?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
So Beagle got his first taste of :thatsbattletech:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DirtyGracefulCobraM4xHeh

First real heavy mech he's facing - an Orion - and he's terrified. The pristine Orion cliffs, and gets headcapped by Beagle's Centurion on the first salvo.

EDIT: and now this is happening:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 22, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mr.Trifecta posted:

The maps are static, but there's a lot of variety.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kanos posted:

It's a culture thing. Clanners are trained to abhor waste and to prize efficiency, and melee is a way of fighting that will typically mangle your mech as much as the enemy's so it's viewed as beneath a truly skillful warrior.

That said, much like most Clan honor things, this taboo is easily broken if the difference between victory or defeat is putting your foot through the enemy's kneecap. A slightly dishonorable victory is preferable to an honorable defeat, after all.

e: :argh:

You know I never know how orientalist Battletech is cause Space Japan was super down for one on one duels with the Clans even though they were vastly out gunned but at the same time their leadership was capable of sneaky conduct becoming of Space China (ahem).

On the other hand the Cappellans are the inscrutable, untrustworthy Chinese dictatorship so all I can say is the 90's were a wild time

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Maps are hand crafted 2kmx2km areas with flags and areas and groundwork set for potential missions. According to Kiva any given map file (of which there are a lot) has several potential basic scenarios set up that get further customized by randomness.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is this coming to the switch

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

That Italian Guy posted:

First real heavy mech he's facing - an Orion - and he's terrified. The pristine Orion cliffs, and gets headcapped by Beagle's Centurion on the first salvo.

What makes this especially rediculous is that he actually got a double headshot with a ML+LL, I know that side shots are slightly more likely to hit the head but that's got to be like a ~0.1% chance or something.

I've seen so many bad designs over the past few days built around an AC20 that I'm starting to just straight up hate them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

What makes this especially rediculous is that he actually got a double headshot with a ML+LL, I know that side shots are slightly more likely to hit the head but that's got to be like a ~0.1% chance or something.

I've seen so many bad designs over the past few days built around an AC20 that I'm starting to just straight up hate them.

That design looks a lot better than most bad designs, just because 75 tons is enough to actually fit one in. It's got 4 medium lasers for backup and its not skimping on armor. Feels like a hunchback with more lasers and ten extra tons of armor, and I do love hunchbacks

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

The design would be alright if he would get rid of most of those heatsinks and some the leg armor for an LRM-10 or something. Too many streamer are trying to make everything heat neutral, but fail to realize it kind of a pipe dream for most mechs.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maps are hand crafted 2kmx2km areas with flags and areas and groundwork set for potential missions. According to Kiva any given map file (of which there are a lot) has several potential basic scenarios set up that get further customized by randomness.

What determines the randomness, the scenarios? I am surprised a game like this wouldn't have procedurally generated but then again maybe that takes up a ton of dev resources to implement. Excited either way!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Trifecta posted:

What determines the randomness, the scenarios? I am surprised a game like this wouldn't have procedurally generated but then again maybe that takes up a ton of dev resources to implement. Excited either way!

Same reason the recent x-com games went with handcrafted maps, its just a lot easier to make interesting ones

Secondary reason (judging by how HBS are GIANT NERDS) is that battletech itself is played by coming up with new scenarios for the battlemaps that came in the box :v:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

UberJew posted:

Same reason the recent x-com games went with handcrafted maps, its just a lot easier to make interesting ones

Secondary reason (judging by how HBS are GIANT NERDS) is that battletech itself is played by coming up with new scenarios for the battlemaps that came in the box :v:

They. ..Didn't though? Xcom maps aren't hand crafted outside a couple of story missions.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

They. ..Didn't though? Xcom maps aren't hand crafted outside a couple of story missions.

Yeah they did, here's a list of all the maps in the 2012 game: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Maps_(EU2012)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

feedmegin posted:

They are. XCOM maps are all handcrafted. XCOM2 did randomised maps, which is it's major draw (my understanding is it's basically a more clever and complicated way of slapping together prefab tiles than the very original X-COM used to do).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

They are. XCOM maps are all handcrafted. XCOM2 did randomised maps, which is it's major draw (my understanding is it's basically a more clever and complicated way of slapping together prefab tiles than the very original X-COM used to do).

Oh, fair, I didn't realize they'd changed in between. Battletech 2 might always switch too,, then

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Alchenar posted:

XCOM 2 map are semi-randomised, maps were made up a certain number of cells and the game would fill those empty sections with pre-made cells.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Back Hack posted:

The design would be alright if he would get rid of most of those heatsinks and some the leg armor for an LRM-10 or something. Too many streamer are trying to make everything heat neutral, but fail to realize it kind of a pipe dream for most mechs.

Naa LRMs in a brawler suck, but he could scrap some heatsinks and add an SRM6 and have a baby Atlas.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 22, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That Italian Guy posted:

Is that 160 Front armor and 60 rear? Is he seeing the "the fronts and backs of the torsos dont actually do math with each other" bug?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah I think atm there's a bug where you can just stack all the armor you want front/back without limitation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah it's a known bug but the fix won't be in for launch unfortunately.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

People are going to hate it when that gets fixed, won't it be a big difficulty increase?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ehh kinda? More tonnage for guns. I'm personally gonna try to avoid going over the intended limits. But I'm not one of the types that automatically maxes armor anyways.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Battletech keeps happening and it's glorious:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyBumblingDogeBCWarrior

This time: MG Ammo crit cascade!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

That Italian Guy posted:

Naa LRMs in a brawler suck, but he could scrap some heatsinks and add an SRM6 and have a baby Atlas.

With the introduction of evasion pips and multi-targeting being a thing, incidental weapons outside of your normal range bracket aren't a waste. If you're too close to fire LRMs at someone you can pop them off at another enemy to strip a pip.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It really does depend on the pilot skills and how they fit the Mechs. For example, that AC20 Orion goes great with a high Gunner because you want that breaching shot - and if you've got breaching shot you've also got Multi-target.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

People are going to hate it when that gets fixed, won't it be a big difficulty increase?

So long as the armor still consumes tonnage, it doesn't seems like a big deal. Back armor is important, but you can easily have too much.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

So long as the armor still consumes tonnage, it doesn't seems like a big deal. Back armor is important, but you can easily have too much.

Plus the AI seems very resilient to just shoot you in the back if you don't have an exposed location already, at least on the first few missions.

Btw, Beagle's Orion just tanked a few rounds of focused enemy fire from 2 enemy lances of mostly mediums thanks to Bulwark (while legging several of them with the AC/20), but risked losing most of its weapons by being DFA'd by a Panther. This game seems so much fun I can't wait to play it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Skippy McPants posted:

I think the problem is it's letting you load on more front armour than you usually get as well, because instead of being split like 200/40 you can go 240 on the front and keep the rear armour also at 40 when they should be capped at 240 combined.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Bulwark is amazing it's painful when streamers just move their Bulwark pilots one hex for literally no reasons. Or to get 1 evasion.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been skipping and skimming through Beaglerush's stream and the mission at around 8 hours 12 minutes in this vod is really, really good. The game seems to generate really dramatic and exciting missions with ease.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DatonKallandor posted:

Bulwark is amazing it's painful when streamers just move their Bulwark pilots one hex for literally no reasons. Or to get 1 evasion.

Can someone clear up how evasion works now? I'm used to tabletop where the number of hexes you move determines how much of a penalty exists to hit you, but I get the impression that evasion is subtly different?

I've been raging a LOT at streamers deciding to just be all "stand and deliver" once a fight starts but maybe I have it wrong myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Can someone clear up how evasion works now? I'm used to tabletop where the number of hexes you move determines how much of a penalty exists to hit you, but I get the impression that evasion is subtly different?

I've been raging a LOT at streamers deciding to just be all "stand and deliver" once a fight starts but maybe I have it wrong myself?

It's pretty much what you think. Going further is more evasion. Evasion pips are cumulative penalties to hit. Jumping adds evasion as well. Each shot at you (hit or miss) strips one pip.

Its just that now you can hunker down and get straight up damage reduction, which is much better than a pip of evasion.