Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Asimo posted:

DOFF promo packs are better when there's an infinity promotion, and I think fleet ship modules were briefly up there after they dropped the carriers, but in general keys are most reliable yeah. And yep they totally nerfed contraband turnins because they don't want people actually earning things in game anymore unless you're spending big cash money. :toot:

For making money via DOFF packs, do you just buy them when they're not infinity and resell when they are? It seems like a very competitive market if that's the case.

Also I read that you can use Pass tokens in Admiralty to skip the lower rank Tour of missions, is that the best use for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

g0del posted:

The old way involved throwing ships at regular missions in the ferengi and klingon paths just to get to the tour of duty missions, since the 10/10 ToD gave 30k dil. But cryptic nerfed that - now klingon gives 40k fleet dil, and ferengi gives 30k bonus dil. The new method is similar, but involves throwing high level ships at ferengi and klank missions to get the dil in the mission rewards, complemented by the bonus dil from the ferengi 10/10. This is a lot easier if you have a bunch of T6 admiralty cards.

Thanks for the info. The 40k fleet dil will come in handy as I am planning on switching from AP to phasers and need new vulnerability locators. Not even close to finishing the ferengi tour, so I'll get on that.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

For making money via DOFF packs, do you just buy them when they're not infinity and resell when they are? It seems like a very competitive market if that's the case.

Also I read that you can use Pass tokens in Admiralty to skip the lower rank Tour of missions, is that the best use for them?

I use them the opposite way. Namely, to ditch the absurd missions that pop up that give shite awards and want 185 TAC. I also use my 30m shuttles to take missions like that expecting them to fail to keep the queue moving.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

OGS-Remix posted:

Nope nope don't ever try to do that since it works the other way around. DOFF packs sold during a promo are effectively a different item (and even have "Promotion!" or whatever in their names so they're easy to search for on the exchange), and packs sold outside a promo window don't have the bonus loving or ship drop chance or whatever. But importantly this is tied to the pack itself and not the time; promo packs keep their special properties outside the promo, and normal (worthless) packs don't gain the special drops during a promo. So that's why packs bought during the promo window wind up being worth a lot more.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

OGS-Remix posted:

Amazing. Every word you just said was wrong.
Asimo already covered the DOFF packs, they don't change. Infinity packs are the ones bought from the z-store while the infinity promotion is going on. The other packs are virtually worthless.

You can't pass the tour missions. Or rather, you can, but you really, really shouldn't. You can't get higher ToD missions until you've succeeded on the lower ones, so if you pass one (or fail one) you'll have to try that one again. Pass tokens are used to clear out non-ToD missions so you can get to the ToD missions faster. Since most people will run out of pass tokens fairly quickly doing this, another option is to use a single low level ship or shuttle card on fast (15-30 minute) missions just to get them out of the way.

But like I said before, skipping to the ToD missions isn't as lucrative as it used to be. If you just throw weak ships at regular missions to fail them and get to the ToD ones you'll barely make any dil. Making decent dil from admiralty now requires enough good ship cards to succeed on most missions.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Ok, thanks for explaining all that. I'm really glad I asked before committing any resources ingame lol.

I'll just wait for another DOFF promo to buy and keep grinding away on admiralty as normal.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Don't suppose anyone has a Kemocite training manual lying around anywhere? Can't seem to find any on the exchange. Nevermind, was apparently spelling it wrong.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Are there people still playing that can reinvite me to NoP if I can find another fleet that will allow me to dump dil for fc?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There are definitely people around, I'm kind of surprised there isn't a project in NoP to dump dil in.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, there's currently no NoP station projects going on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:psyduck: I queued a bunch up the other night. Well I'll get some more going when I get home later.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

:psyduck: I queued a bunch up the other night. Well I'll get some more going when I get home later.
I don't know exactly why, but NoP seems to run out of projects to fill much more often than SFD. Have we lost more KDF players than Fed? I wouldn't blame them, so far "Year of the Klingon" hasn't seemed to have very much to bring in klingon players.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

g0del posted:

I don't know exactly why, but NoP seems to run out of projects to fill much more often than SFD. Have we lost more KDF players than Fed? I wouldn't blame them, so far "Year of the Klingon" hasn't seemed to have very much to bring in klingon players.

And there's nothing to really do in the game right now. It's just the same old poo poo, continuing ad infinitum. People have their summer boats now.

Year of Klingon is a joke. Visual remaster of a few Klingon ships, and a Fed-only doff giveaway. Whoopee.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

To be honest until this came up I thought I was the only one maining a klank still.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cythereal posted:

And there's nothing to really do in the game right now. It's just the same old poo poo, continuing ad infinitum. People have their summer boats now.

Year of Klingon is a joke. Visual remaster of a few Klingon ships, and a Fed-only doff giveaway. Whoopee.

More or less. The story missions are fun on a bun. If you're new to the game loving enjoy, it's 100% the best Star Trek computer game experience since the old 25th anniversary games. The story missions are even delightfully un-even in the quality of the stories they tell in a way that is so Trek it loving hurts.

But once you're done with that? Well, I'm broke brained and get enjoyment out of gaming the exchange for imaginary monopoly money. I also enjoy making numbers bigger by slowly grinding dill to get fancy pay to win ships. I also like space barbie and seeing if I can make the most special and awesome mary sue kitbash ship in the world.

But all that is poo poo that I literally hop on for maybe 15 minutes a day to take care of. 30 if there's an event. Usually it's just my chill out phase where I fire up a podcast or whatever while I decompress from work, before firing up a game I actually want to play.

It's fun when they drop new missions, though. I legit enjoyed the latest round of Klingon-centric missions in a way that I really haven't cared about the previous ST:D missions.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^Mostly the same, except for gaming the exchange for ec. I've just never had the patience/memory/lobes for that. STO lately is my 'run on the side screen while I watch a show on the main monitor" game.

Asimo posted:

To be honest until this came up I thought I was the only one maining a klank still.
I don't main a klank, but I have several alts in NoP. None of them have permissions to start projects though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's fun when they drop new missions, though. I legit enjoyed the latest round of Klingon-centric missions in a way that I really haven't cared about the previous ST:D missions.

I'm still not doing new missions because they're ST:D based. :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Queued a bunch of projects up, probably wrong horrible ones but whatever they're there. I'll try and be a bit better about checking it daily rather than once or twice a week too.

And yeah the year of the klingon is :lol: so far. I don't regret swapping to my klankrom a while back since I love klingon boats and such but having something so anemic come out after ten+ months of nothing but fed-only lockbox and promo boats and then then massive fed-only legendary bundle and so on is just hilarious still. I still like the game as something to lazily mess around in but they really need to stop pretending the klingon faction is viable.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Just give us a 5/1 or 5/2 B'Rel. That is all we need.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A legendary D7/Vorcha/B'rel pack would cover all the important canon klingon ships and not be that much work. A negh'var and bortas'qu would be nice too, but three boats and some keys or whatever would be a good $100 pack which seems to be a price point they like. But like 10% of the game plays klingon so that ain't happening. :shrug:

At least we got the legendary warbird.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

A legendary D7/Vorcha/B'rel pack would cover all the important canon klingon ships and not be that much work. A negh'var and bortas'qu would be nice too, but three boats and some keys or whatever would be a good $100 pack which seems to be a price point they like. But like 10% of the game plays klingon so that ain't happening. :shrug:

At least we got the legendary warbird.
I love that year of the klingon brought us a legendary romulan ship. Don't know why they didn't do a legendary d'deridex though. The T6 d'd is useless.

I'd hope that a legendary klingon pack would be at least as good a deal as the legendary fed pack ($20 per ship on sale), but the legendary romulan pack blew that price point away.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
my main is and always was a kdf

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I have a serious issue with the Negh'Var reskin. It is loving covered in their dogshit windows and it looks ridiculous. It is such a small thing but at the same time I can't overcome my inclination to tell Cryptic to gently caress off and do a better loving job. Christ.

The Vor'Cha is a tad better but still, gently caress off and put some effort into your stupid rear end reskins.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Asimo posted:

Queued a bunch of projects up, probably wrong horrible ones but whatever they're there. I'll try and be a bit better about checking it daily rather than once or twice a week too.

And yeah the year of the klingon is :lol: so far. I don't regret swapping to my klankrom a while back since I love klingon boats and such but having something so anemic come out after ten+ months of nothing but fed-only lockbox and promo boats and then then massive fed-only legendary bundle and so on is just hilarious still. I still like the game as something to lazily mess around in but they really need to stop pretending the klingon faction is viable.

Thank you for queueing NoP fleet projects, I sincerely appreciate it! I should be fine for a while unless I misread the K-13 provisions and dump a bunch of fleet marks into those again. Yeah, not my finest moment.

CrushedWill fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 31, 2020

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Believe it or not, people are still talking about the disco balls:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1257378/subspace-party-amplifiers-should-be-negated-at-race-starts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how every single complaint tries to justify it with lag/rubberbanding despite a disco ball being a single static entity that would have no way to affect lag whatsoever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Popping disco balls has been my advice for any pvp race in this game. Pubbies get distracted by bright lights and shiny colors.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Today I learned full impulse does, in fact, drain weapon power.

This would explain my incredibad DPS when moving.

In my defense it's been...3 weeks?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Popping disco balls also greatly enhances the player experience for that event where you solve the shell game with miniature Q's.

Perhaps we should give back to the community and offer such people who are clearly suffering PTSD a dental-led support group? We could hold therapy sessions in the conference room of [ship] or [fleet asset]. Perhaps incorporating some manner of aversion therapy mid session.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

if those pubbies still havent learned to look for low pop instances to do the racing then they deserve all the bright colors shining down upon them

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TIL that Voth dreadnoughts can be assimilated.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Today I learned full impulse does, in fact, drain weapon power.

This would explain my incredibad DPS when moving.

In my defense it's been...3 weeks?
Grab some weapons batteries and pop one after full impulse. The power drain does get better as you hit end game and start getting actual good gear. Until then, try to come out of full impulse a bit before you have to start shooting, give yourself some time to build back up weapons power before the fight starts.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
The Miracle Worker spec has a node at T3 called "Simplified Plumbing" that negates the delay for power levels to go back to normal from full impulse.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Another great use for red matter capacitor.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
New ship coming soon!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ilizh4/the_next_lockbox_ship_is_rikers_ship_from_the/

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:lol: at anyone thinking new canon/hero ships would ever be put in the store and not a gamble box.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And probably Fed-only, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how blatant the pay-to-win is getting on it too. Not interesting effects, just straight up "it's better"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 3, 2020

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hoo boy, you can smell the blood in the water.

Honestly, I would just like to know the rationale behind this. I always though the rule was that the lockboxes were for alien, civilian, future, and MU ships, which I was fine with since they're all odd ships a "normal" Fed/Klank/Rommie captain in 2410 shouldn't be flying. I can even accept the Connie, since if you have to have a gamblebox Feddie ship, you might as well make it the most iconic one. But the Walker and Inquiry are really stretching the definition of "iconic" ships, since they both only made brief appearances in their respective shows and were established to be mass-produced workhorse classes like the Excelsior and Miranda. If Paramount or PWE are tying your hands, they should just say so; even that explanation would be better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hoo boy, you can smell the blood in the water.

Honestly, I would just like to know the rationale behind this.

$