Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Your Sigvald posting has made me want to make a Chaos run as Sigvald, with an entire army of warriors and chosen. Big, buff, oily men in shiny armor. Ooooh baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm still a little disappointed that they didn't put in Sigvald's honor guard, who carry mirrored shields so he can stop and admire himself whenever the need arises.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just finished up my second long Dwarf campaign, but I'm not sure I'm "getting" it. I only managed to get Organ Guns and Irondrakes about 5 turns from the end, and I never got any of my capitals up to level 5.

I started wondering this too by the end, does the bonus generated from stacking income boosting followers on your lords manage to outstrip the extra army upkeep?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Your Sigvald posting has made me want to make a Chaos run as Sigvald, with an entire army of warriors and chosen. Big, buff, oily men in shiny armor. Ooooh baby.

I do exactly the opposite and let Sigvald command the army composed of nothing but Forsaken, Chaos Spawns, Trolls and Giants. Chaos gods are twisted and cruel, even to their champions. :colbert:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Triskelli posted:

Just finished up my second long Dwarf campaign, but I'm not sure I'm "getting" it. I only managed to get Organ Guns and Irondrakes about 5 turns from the end, and I never got any of my capitals up to level 5.

I started wondering this too by the end, does the bonus generated from stacking income boosting followers on your lords manage to outstrip the extra army upkeep?

The dwarfs take forever to grow and get to their high tech units. They have low base growth, their high tech units have a lot of requirements, and the buildings are crazy expensive. I'm playing VC right now and I feel like I've had access to my T4 and T5 stuff like 75 turns sooner than I did during my dwarf campaign. I think the idea is that the dwarfs strength is turtling up in provinces and growing slowly (once a dwarf city is built up it is typically 'better' than most other factions).

Maybe I'm confused about the second question, why would you have income boosting followers in armies with lords? Or do you mean the extra upkeep of the agent themselves? If you mean just the agent upkeep, it all depends on the province they are deployed in. Stacking income buildings with an income agent usually ends up making you a decent amount of money. Also, especially with the dwarfs there are a lot of +income followers that you can assign to your money making agents to really put them over the top. I'm not sure exactly how the math works out, but don't forget about bonuses from trade buildings and your capital building.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The cost of the buildings isn't really an issue with Dwarves, because dwarven income generation is pretty drat good. The problem is growth. Dwarven growth buildings are lovely, and their settlements barely give you any growth. Even their commandments are worse.

A tier 3 empire settlement with the tier 3 growth building gives you almost as much growth as two tier 3 dwarven settlements with growth buildings in each. The only fast way to get the high tier dwarven units is by building a growth building in every province in one of the four-settlement provinces.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fangz posted:

The cost of the buildings isn't really an issue with Dwarves, because dwarven income generation is pretty drat good. The problem is growth. Dwarven growth buildings are lovely, and their settlements barely give you any growth. Even their commandments are worse.

A tier 3 empire settlement with the tier 3 growth building gives you almost as much growth as two tier 3 dwarven settlements with growth buildings in each. The only fast way to get the high tier dwarven units is by building a growth building in every province in one of the four-settlement provinces.

All that being said, it's really not as big a handicap as you would think because Dwarf Warriors and Quarrelers are some of the best early tier infantry in the game and with the military upgrades can easily take you into endgame alone between them and grudgethrowers. By the time you start consistently fighting chaos you should have enough thunderer availability to work through their armor, and a couple of miners with satchel charges work shockingly well against charges and also as the hammer in a hammer and anvil strategy with their armor piercing melee.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
You can grab two early techs for Dwarves, one that gives +10 growth, and another that doubles the effectiveness of the growth edict from +15 to +30, which helps offset their growth problems quite a bit.

I've never had an issue rolling out Ironbreakers and friends well before Chaos shows up either way, but every little bit helps.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah but playing as the stunties is boring why would you subject yourself to it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

madmac posted:

You can grab two early techs for Dwarves, one that gives +10 growth, and another that doubles the effectiveness of the growth edict from +15 to +30, which helps offset their growth problems quite a bit.

I've never had an issue rolling out Ironbreakers and friends well before Chaos shows up either way, but every little bit helps.

I think this stuff mitigates their issues somewhat, but still, they are choices that you have to make sacrifices for (either by delaying research for something else, or by not going for the +tax rate edict). Compared to the other factions Dwarves *are* going to have a significantly tougher time developing their cities. Couple with the fact that high-tier units are less of an improvement over low tier ones (due to quarrelers etc being good, but also the long and deep dwarven tech tree), this makes advanced units less common in dwarven campaigns than in others. I would probably welcome some modding to boost dwarven growth, and I don't think it would be terribly overpowered.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, why can't I ever commit to finishing a campaign before a patch wipes my progress and outdates my mods

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Maybe I'm confused about the second question, why would you have income boosting followers in armies with lords? Or do you mean the extra upkeep of the agent themselves? If you mean just the agent upkeep, it all depends on the province they are deployed in. Stacking income buildings with an income agent usually ends up making you a decent amount of money. Also, especially with the dwarfs there are a lot of +income followers that you can assign to your money making agents to really put them over the top. I'm not sure exactly how the math works out, but don't forget about bonuses from trade buildings and your capital building.

Yeah the second question was poorly worded. With zero tier-5 settlements I had almost zero buildings to increase the Dwarf Agent cap. So instead of putting the income-boosting followers on my Runesmiths/Engineers/Thanes, I left Dwarf Lords (generals) in high income provinces with either tiny armies or no units at all. I didn't do the math either but considering how expensive upkeep is for Dwarfs there had to be diminishing returns at some point. I got to the point of a 30% increase in upkeep from all the lords I had by the end of the game.

If anyone winds up doing an LP of this game I'd like to see them attempt to complete all chapter objectives before moving on to the next one. There are some crazy requirements for some of them like building up to a T3 barracks and recruiting a thane before expanding beyond the Silver Road, or trying to force the secessionists into a couple more fights before finishing them off.

E:
With how many units are getting buffs tomorrow, imagine what things'll be like when the New World expansion hits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8y4RSCnNzc

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 27, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Triskelli posted:

Yeah the second question was poorly worded. With zero tier-5 settlements I had almost zero buildings to increase the Dwarf Agent cap. So instead of putting the income-boosting followers on my Runesmiths/Engineers/Thanes, I left Dwarf Lords (generals) in high income provinces with either tiny armies or no units at all. I didn't do the math either but considering how expensive upkeep is for Dwarfs there had to be diminishing returns at some point. I got to the point of a 30% increase in upkeep from all the lords I had by the end of the game.

If anyone winds up doing an LP of this game I'd like to see them attempt to complete all chapter objectives before moving on to the next one. There are some crazy requirements for some of them like building up to a T3 barracks and recruiting a thane before expanding beyond the Silver Road, or trying to force the secessionists into a couple more fights before finishing them off.

Ah ok, I know what you mean. In my last long dwarf campaign I actually had a lord do exactly what you said in Mt. Gunbad. He just sat there with no army every turn and ended up with an obscene amount of + income from traits and followers (along with some 'lazy' type negative traits). I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but I'm pretty sure his bonus paid for a couple of stacks all by itself. Maybe dwarf lords who spend a lot of time next to gold mines are more likely to get +income traits. When I get home I'll have to check on him, but it was definitely worth it.

I'm guessing it's probably worth it for large provinces with gold mines, but probably not worth the effort otherwise. Someone less lazy than me would have to do the math.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Decent beastmen DLC review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb27CumW58g

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Would love it if someone could post a quick summary (can't watch the video).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
tldr; decent DLC, faction fun to play, don't buy if you hate horde mechanics/chaos, low replayability for mini-campaign, 7/10.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sigvald is the best

Sigvald is so much cooler than Archaon that it isn't even funny.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Archaeon is dull as hell, I really don't get why GW decided to make him the big bad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kainser posted:

Archaeon is dull as hell, I really don't get why CA decided to make him the big bad.

It wasn't their decision.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I meant Games Workshop.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
archaeon is satisfying to punk like the bitchmade little metal baby that he is, at least.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Looks like the embargo is lifted today, lots of reviews and videos coming out now.

Here's a BM mini-campaign walkthrough from Surreal Beliefs, who I vaguely recall being kinda tolerable for a youtuber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oop9F9RHIKI

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I'm feeling :smug: as all hell since he mentioned that nobody should be surprised at the price right at the start

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Would love it if someone could post a quick summary (can't watch the video).

Solid purchase if CA provides one or two free updates with some more units down the line, if not it's a bit overpriced, the short campaign is a one time play but they're fun on the grand campaign. Probably not very strong in multiplayer.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah they're a much more refined chaos factions for sure, they even have a special end battle it looks like. Wonder if CA will update Chaos Warriors later

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Oh drat, hope more factions get climactic end battles. As it is right now so is the final part of the campaign just cleaning stuff up.

Dark Elves getting a super hard quest battle at the end of their campaign representing the fall of Ulthuan etc. would be neat.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

REALLY hope Chaos Warriors get this too

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kainser posted:

Oh drat, hope more factions get climactic end battles. As it is right now so is the final part of the campaign just cleaning stuff up.

Dark Elves getting a super hard quest battle at the end of their campaign representing the fall of Ulthuan etc. would be neat.

Or alternatively, getting a "good guy" final battle where you get Empire/Dwarves/Brettonia/High Elves allied against Chaos ( or the Skaven Hordes ) would be pretty loving sweet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

frajaq posted:

Yeah they're a much more refined chaos factions for sure, they even have a special end battle it looks like. Wonder if CA will update Chaos Warriors later

Ouch, those look like way more difficult victory conditions than Chaos Warriors.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Fangz posted:

Ouch, those look like way more difficult victory conditions than Chaos Warriors.

It's probably easier than it looks, like the empire is likely to absorb at least one of those factions and two or three of them will probably get wiped out by chaos before you even meet them.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Don't bother with the long campaign honestly, the short campaign tends to be a lot more reasonable unless you are having ridiculous amounts of fun stomping factions weaker than you.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
e; double post

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rookersh posted:

Or alternatively, getting a "good guy" final battle where you get Empire/Dwarves/Brettonia/High Elves allied against Chaos ( or the Skaven Hordes ) would be pretty loving sweet.

Yeah most of my Empire campaigns have ended with, in order.

1. Settling Nordland as I was trying to fight off the Norse, I didn't even know I'd taken out the Chaos Warriors
2. Actually defeating Archaon's stack for once. I had to chase him to the loving Chaos Wastes but it was worth it.
3. I didn't even kill the Chaos Warriors, Kiselv chased them back to the Chaos Wastes while I was farming Kholek who was the last stack.
4. This was the most recent one. I just consolidated and wiped out the vampire counts before Chaos ever left the wastes. Game win. Archaon never even spawned.

It was just... I've had maybe one satisfying end.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 27, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Would be sweet as gently caress.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

Honestly it's functionally about the same thing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Beastmen get to skip the "dealing with norsca" phase and go straight to murdering civilization, which is definitely a plus in my book.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah but playing as the stunties is boring why would you subject yourself to it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The Death Star should be easily translated to single player, right? I can't see the AI putting up a good fight against a tough multiplayer tactic. I have a few overly fancy armies full of micro heavy units and I'm sick of it, nearly crushed chaos but it's become a slog constantly cycle charging my Blood Knights while babying my Black Coach and still ordering Vargheists around plus the rest of my army and heroes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Would be sweet as gently caress.

Imagine like a scripted fight with 5-10 hordes of Chaos, but also all the allied races. Like it starts with just Archaons/Sigvald/Kholeks stacks, but as time goes on, more and more Chaos armies just keep coming through the Chaos Gate until you can finally reach it and destroy it.

So you'd have the Empire having a massive stack of guys holding the line alongside the High Elves + all the various Mages. Then behind them tons of various Dwarfen cannons. And then on the flanks wave after wave of Bretonnian cavalry. And then it's just the killing fields at the Chaos Gate to the Chaos Wastes.

Hell, since it's scripted and supposed to be the end times, have Sigmar show up and duke it out with Archaeon or something, I dunno.

Get to change the course of the End Times in the biggest loving battle in Total War, as the end of a loving Warhammer campaign should be. It shouldn't be chasing down Archaeons stack through the Chaos Wastes for 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Heir of Carthage's videos on Beastmen are up.

Faction overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvcswKrt7wg

Abilities overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwLjrh9FU2I

Quest Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sikgg0r_6aI

• Locked thread