Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lozzle posted:

So are hurricanes in election years the result of some kind of curse or what?

In retrospect, probably shouldn't have built the country on all those sacred Indian burial grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do Libertarian or Green Party politicians occupy any Mayor or Congressional seats in the U.S.? Do they even occupy any State Legislature seats?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Radish posted:

Yeah if this is some larger strategy to flub a debate that doesn't really matter in order to create a larger narrative around the Hillary campaign at large that's really cool but I think it's more likely not the case. I guess we'll see what happens but I think debate two is what everyone is already getting excited for. In a normal election Pence doing unexpectedly well would probably be really great but when Trump is around he really steals the spotlight no matter what is going on.

Also that's real dumb for 2020/2024/2028.

Pence wants his career to keep going, and has the skill to match those ambitions, unlike other Republicans. Giving him a huge boost of credibility is not something the Democrats should be doing, especially for a few more sucker punches on Trump, who lost a long time ago.

If he can unite the Republican old guard and the Trumpsters in 2020 or 2024, that could be a real problem.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

edrith posted:

6th 7th 8th, whatever, just a really big storm hitting hard within 72 hours of the polls closing

Either way it would be a really convenient excuse for some more missing ballots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, twitter trends this morning.

"New Doubts About Hillary" is trending, mostly attacks on her choice of Kaine. Seems to be bouncing around the echo chambers of the right.

"#ThatMexicanThing" is as well, and trending stronger (47.6k vs 9.7k).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

It's weird to use "Al Gore" and "appeal" in the same sentence.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/783645247247114240

Well that was swift.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rookersh posted:

Also that's real dumb for 2020/2024/2028.

Pence wants his career to keep going, and has the skill to match those ambitions, unlike other Republicans. Giving him a huge boost of credibility is not something the Democrats should be doing, especially for a few more sucker punches on Trump, who lost a long time ago.

If he can unite the Republican old guard and the Trumpsters in 2020 or 2024, that could be a real problem.

Hmm, yes. Losing VP candidates are generally a grave threat in the future. President Ryan is a real contender.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pence is a poor man's Cruz and will get eaten alive by him

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

canepazzo posted:

Yougov polls are out:

MI +5
CO +5
NH +4
WI +3
NC +2
FL +2
PA +2
NV +2
IA +1
OH +1
GA TIE

Those are all Clinton leads. How many of those MUST Trump win to have a path?

Almost all of them. There are way too many permutations to present well but if we assume Michigan and Wisconsin go blue and Georgia, Iowa and Ohio all go red you're looking at Clinton 256 EV vs. Trump 210.

Clinton then only needs to win Florida OR Colorado & Virginia OR Nevada & North Carolina.

The reason I'm splitting them like that is that if Clinton's educated white advantage disappears CO and VA might go but NV, NC and FL are less likely to go. Trump needs the white vote to collapse to have a shot but it only takes him so far in the electoral college. This is why the Clinton campaign is not betting the house on Ohio. They're diversifying their investments.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Yougov polls are out:

MI +5
CO +5
NH +4
WI +3
NC +2
FL +2
PA +2
NV +2
IA +1
OH +1
GA TIE

Those are all Clinton leads. How many of those MUST Trump win to have a path?

Basically all of them. He can take the five largest of those states and still lose.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pence is still a joke and one debate isn't going to change that. He's pretty toxic and his state hates him. All of his more loathsome qualities have been ignored because Trump is 99.999% of that ticket and he is an afterthought at best. I'm really not worried about him in the future although I admit Kaine isn't really an amazing VP pick either.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

To further drive the point on demographics, you can game out scenarios where the white uneducated voters turn out at record levels but minority votes still take Clinton over the finishing line, e.g.:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/kvGZG (educated bail on Clinton and uneducated whites have boosted turnout)

http://www.270towin.com/maps/NpRop (PA is lost but educated whites stick to Clinton in CO and VA)

You can swap in GA for AZ in these maps, if you like.

It's important to make maps that have some sense to them. States like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan are going to herd with each other because they are similar in demographic makeup. This is why Ohio slipping away is not the end of the world. But in a world where Michigan goes red, Wisconsin and Ohio are also going red, but Florida or NC actually might not.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I love that Georgia TIE counts as a Trump loss

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/783648091111129088

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is an amazing ad. Clinton's ad team is on point this campaign.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/783648595249627136
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/783648710488100864

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Radish posted:

Pence is still a joke and one debate isn't going to change that. He's pretty toxic and his state hates him. All of his more loathsome qualities have been ignored because Trump is 99.999% of that ticket and he is an afterthought at best. I'm really not worried about him in the future although I admit Kaine isn't really an amazing VP pick either.

Kaine locked down Virginia but it turns out that that was probably overkill. Oh well.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

vyelkin posted:

This is an amazing ad. Clinton's ad team is on point this campaign.
It's amazing that it was so clearly planned

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
That's also more or less baiting Trump.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Could this guy be more pedantic with the $900 million != $1 billion thing?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

lozzle posted:

Kaine locked down Virginia but it turns out that that was probably overkill. Oh well.

To be fair to team Hillary I'm not really sure who else you would get for VP. Like he's OKkkk but not someone I'm excited about and I'm a Virginian. I'm sure he's there to help with the white guy vote but honestly this election is way past identity politics like that when white people are either voting for the idiot white supremacist or they aren't.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 5, 2016

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/CHueyBurnsRCP/status/783655043908206592

Perfect.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

This is a really good example of the problem we have right now. When you put 17 and 11 statements side by side like that, it's like, "well both lied a lot." But when you actually pick apart the lies and how serious they are, most Pence statements should be in a 24 pt font and in bright red, while several Kaine statements should be in 6 pt font and maybe a touch of light grey. Saying "he lost a billion a year" when he lost 900m in one year is a flub or an exaggeration, "Donald Trump never said that" times seven is a pre-meditated attempt to mislead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donnyboy is mad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

lozzle posted:

Could this guy be more pedantic with the $900 million != $1 billion thing?

Pence lied about basically everything that came out of his mouth.

But Kaine wasn't accurate to 6 significant figures out of a 10-digit number.

Both sides lie and are bad! vOv

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Radish posted:

To be fair to team Hillary I'm not really sure who else you would get for VP.

I seem to recall Sherrod Brown's name getting thrown around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think they went with tim kaine because he'd help in virginia and he's an old white guy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Radish posted:

To be fair to team Hillary I'm not really sure who else you would get for VP. Like he's OKkkk but not someone I'm excited about and I'm a Virginian. I'm sure he's there to help with the white guy vote but honestly this election is way past identity politics like that when white people are either voting for the idiot white supremacist or they aren't.

Kaine has a couple other advantages.
1. He can appeal directly to Hispanics. A significant amount of them are Catholic, he did missionary work because of his faith (in a Latin American country no less), and he speaks Spanish fluently.
2. He's from a state with a Democrat governor. Brown, Booker, and Warren all are in states with Republican governors. Guess who picks the replacement.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 5, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

lozzle posted:

I seem to recall Sherrod Brown's name getting thrown around.

Kasich would appoint his replacement to serve out the rest of his term.

Kaine was probably the best pick in terms of padding out the ticket, helping in VA and also helping in taking the Senate back.

E:fb.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Endorph posted:

i think they went with tim kaine because he'd help in virginia and he's an old white guy

They went with Kaine because Hillary felt comfortable with him, because he's a policy wonk, because he's loyal.

Obama almost picked Kaine instead of Biden.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It really is infuriating that we are spending more time in these debates talking about Russia/Syria and the moronic idea that North Korea is going to nuke us than about Climate Change, Gay rights, taxes, education and campaign finance (just to name a few) combined. She COULDN'T WAIT to start asking questions about completely irrelevant poo poo last night.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It really is infuriating that we are spending more time in these debates talking about Russia/Syria and the moronic idea that North Korea is going to nuke us than about Climate Change, Gay rights, taxes, education and campaign finance (just to name a few) combined.

I agree, but that's just because I have basically no interest in foreign policy. I've come to a point in my life where I just accept that it will be a constant shitshow.

What are we gonna do about poo poo in America? That's what I want to know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They went with Kaine because Hillary felt comfortable with him, because he's a policy wonk, because he's loyal.

Obama almost picked Kaine instead of Biden.

He's also completely scandal free. If you believe the VP pick can mostly only hurt, maybe help a little in a swing state they're popular in, Kaine is a good pick.

That he also has a record of being a genuinely good official who's gotten a lot of solid but lower profile work done is a plus.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

LATimes is T+4 again. That thing has not moved from Trump +4-5 in 10 days.

This poll, like many lovely polls, will move towards Hillary in November, barring any sort of catastrophic event for her campaign That always seems to be the case with outlier polls. Well except Rasmussen in 2012, they dropped the ball on that one (I believe they had Romney +2 the night before the election).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

This poll, like many lovely polls, will move towards Hillary in November, barring any sort of catastrophic event for her campaign That always seems to be the case with outlier polls. Well except Rasmussen in 2012, they dropped the ball on that one (I believe they had Romney +2 the night before the election).

Romney+2 *and* writing editorials about how he was poised to win handily. On November 5th.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It really is infuriating that we are spending more time in these debates talking about Russia/Syria and the moronic idea that North Korea is going to nuke us than about Climate Change, Gay rights, taxes, education and campaign finance (just to name a few) combined. She COULDN'T WAIT to start asking questions about completely irrelevant poo poo last night.

If that's the case no wonder Pence didn't get stomped. His domestic policies are really obvious terrible and any light on those makes him look like a monster and/or an idiot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mcmagic posted:

Isn't usually the VP's job (outside of being the President of the Senate, which is normally a formality) is to be a diplomat? It would make sense from that angle to see if they know FP.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

WHAT IS WITH THIS YEAR!? :psyduck:

Is that Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

I agree, and I complained about this earlier. For all the people mention that the vice President is essentially a diplomat, I actually think that one of the most important actual services of the vice President is simply to be a bellwether for contemporary feeling. And that will mostly be domestic issues, because let's face it, most people care more about domestic issues than they care about foreign-policy. A lot of people don't even know where these countries are, they don't really care About the people there. It is ridiculous that they didn't talk about education, or gay rights, a climate change. Who loving cares about North Korea, the vice president is not gonna have any affect on that whatsoever

• Locked thread