Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
SARS was 2002 and my understanding it had a real chance of kicking off a pandemic. With whatever variants of Covid that will pop up in the devoloping world I think once in a hundred year pandemics will be wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

SuddenCactus posted:

Are you telling me that Covid 19 came from the lost continent of Mu?

Yes, Covid 19 is Justified and Ancient
And it drives an Ice Cream Van

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Big Willy Style posted:

SARS was 2002 and my understanding it had a real chance of kicking off a pandemic. With whatever variants of Covid that will pop up in the devoloping world I think once in a hundred year pandemics will be wishful thinking.

SARS was not easy to get infected with so it was not a good pandemic candidate virus. However it did point to Coronaviruses actually being able to be pandemic capable. They now think the common cold was the actual virus that caused the 1890 pandemic rather than a unfluenza virus - theres more evidence a coronavirus will tend to become less of an issue over time much like the common cold did. Delta more likely evolved in response to lockdowns and more difficulty to being able to be spread.

Pandemics arent really a 1 in 100 year thing they are more common. This pandemic only def recently passed the death toll of 1968 flu for instance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 15, 2021

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SARS was not easy to get infected with so it was not a good pandemic candidate virus. However it did point to Coronaviruses actually being able to be pandemic capable. They now think the common cold was the actual virus that caused the 1890 pandemic rather than a unfluenza virus

Bird flu was almost impossible to catch too, you basically had to unheigenically handle an infected chicken. Turns out a similar virus will kill a few million million people instead for no particular reason!

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/MartinPakulaMP/status/1448870057258348552

And you know Aussies are absolutely 100% stupid enough to vote for an even worse person.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Boner M posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinPakulaMP/status/1448870057258348552

And you know Aussies are absolutely 100% stupid enough to vote for an even worse person.

Whoosh.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mu Covid, Mu problems

Muuyb

Lol at the abc article saying "Morrison is the Prime Minster of Sydney, Dom is becoming the Premier of Australia.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

SuddenCactus posted:

Are you telling me that Covid 19 came from the lost continent of Mu?

No, this variant comes from /mu/. Long COVID from this means you get really into Neutral Milk Hotel.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
You can add your vaccination certificate to the Service NSW and Service Victoria apps now. Update the Service NSW app before you log into the Medicare Express app.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

You can add your vaccination certificate to the Service NSW and Service Victoria apps now. Update the Service NSW app before you log into the Medicare Express app.

I checked into a shop this morning since linking my vax certificate and it comes up in the app with shimmery, hologrammy animations and everything.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A silly question:

So Palmer/Kelly and his party of nutjobs clearly have federal ambitions. And act as a spoiler in federal elections, taking primary votes away from Labor and directing preferences to the Libs or Nats.

Do they have the same ambitions at state level? Coz I don't remember hearing about them doing anything in any of the last state elections.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I logged in at the supermarket and was, "Ooh! Sparkly!"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

This is truly pathetic.

Wow that's rude I hope they don't read this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somehow Morrison says poo poo that kinda sounds sensible and pushes back against NSW Dom

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...015-p590ep.html

quote:

Vaccinated Australian citizens, residents and their families – now including overseas-based parents – will be allowed to freely enter NSW from next month, but the federal government is not yet allowing business travellers, skilled migrants or international students.

The NSW government on Friday announced hotel and home quarantine would no longer be required for fully vaccinated people entering NSW, including those coming from overseas, from November 1.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the Commonwealth makes the ultimate decisions about who can travel to Australia from overseas, not state premiers.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the Commonwealth makes the ultimate decisions about who can travel to Australia from overseas, not state premiers.Credit:James Brickwood

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said the state was open for business “for double-vaccinated people around the world”.

NSW will remove the cap on the number of vaccinated travellers allowed into the state. However, it will allow only 210 unvaccinated people to enter from overseas each week and they will have to complete 14 days’ hotel quarantine.

But Prime Minister Scott Morrison stressed it would not be open slather for everyone in the world to come to Australia, saying the Commonwealth would stick to its plan of allowing travel only by Australian citizens and residents and their families at first.
Related Article
Premier Dominic Perrottet says Sydney and NSW “is open for business”.
Coronavirus pandemic
Quarantine to be scrapped for fully-vaccinated returning travellers; NSW regional travel delayed

Beyond that, borders would open to more travellers “in a staged and careful way” with priority given to skilled migrants and international students.

“We are not opening up to everyone coming back to Australia at the moment. I want to be clear about that,” Mr Morrison said.

“The Commonwealth government has made no decision to allow other visa holders, skilled visa holders, student visa holders, international visitors travelling under an ETA or other international visa arrangements ... to come to Australia under these arrangements.

“The Premier understands that that’s a decision for the Commonwealth government not for the state governments. And when we believe that’s the right decision to make, we will make it in that time.”
Related Article
Victoria is overhauling the rules that apply to people entering the state from interstate hotspots.
Updated
Coronavirus pandemic
Victoria to scrap 14-day quarantine for fully vaccinated entering from red zones

Mr Morrison also confirmed the new arrangements meant all Australians, no matter where they lived in the country, would be allowed to travel overseas once again from November 1. However, if they wanted to return to a state other than NSW, they would still be subject to the arrival caps and quarantine arrangements of those states.

People who transit through Sydney would still be subject to domestic border rules and restrictions.

The rules for who counts as “immediate family” will change on November 1 to include overseas-based parents of Australian citizens and residents, meaning they will also be able to travel into NSW freely if they are fully vaccinated.

The change comes after a long campaign from people desperate to get their parents here for health, family and compassionate reasons but who were repeatedly denied travel exemptions.
Related Article
Queensland chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young has urged all Queenslanders to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
Coronavirus pandemic
Qld vaccine push more urgent as NSW prepares border reopening

One of the campaign’s co-ordinators, Valeria Greenfield, said the announcement had taken her by surprise.

“After 18 months of waiting, you kind of lose hope, so my immediate reaction was I started crying,” she said. “After the excitement, now I have a thousand questions – when, how is it going to work, what about people in Queensland who can’t even travel to Sydney at the moment?”

Her parents are in Peru and are yet to meet Ms Greenfield’s daughter, their first grandchild, who was born just before Australia slammed its borders shut in March 2020.

Ms Greenfield said other developed countries had acknowledged parents were immediate families as early as May last year.

“I want to acknowledge that many thousands of people will never have the chance that I have now [for a reunion] because they already lost their parents and they will never see them again,” she said.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has told the government that people who received doses of China’s Sinovac and India’s Covishield vaccines overseas would be regarded as appropriately vaccinated under Australia’s travel rules, as well as those who received any COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in Australia – Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson.

Qantas announced it would bring forward its plan to restart international flights by two weeks, to November 1, in response to the NSW announcement.

In a statement, the airline said it would operate up to five return flights a week from Sydney to London and up to four return flights a week from Sydney to Los Angeles, with more added to meet demand if needed.

“In just a little over two weeks, Australians around the world can fly into Sydney and people from around Australia can leave on trips they’ve been waiting almost two years to take. We hope other states will do the same once they reach the 80 per cent target,” chief executive Alan Joyce said.

THAT .... actually seems like a resonable border reopening plan? Aussies freely allowed to leave from Nov 1, Vaccinated citizens / permanent residents and NSW related familes allowed in, other states as per rules now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

evilbastard posted:

[Edit] : I guess this means Clive Palmer wasted a lot of money trying to go early.

Dutton has been punching up billboards in the local electorate since around the same time so I'm still betting on earlier

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I, Butthole posted:

Dutton has been punching up billboards in the local electorate since around the same time so I'm still betting on earlier

I have also seem a billboard for my local federal Lib candidate in outer suburban Melbourne.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Senor Tron posted:

Let's hope we actually have another century before the next "once in a century" pandemic. If we lose out on the dice roll and something else comes up in the next decade or two I really don't think the world will deal well with it at all.

Due to global warming and the continued deforestation of the worlds dwindling natural ecosystems, the chance of someone catching a novel virus from a once rare interaction with an exotic species continues to rise.

So no, once in a century has definitely gone down. If we're lucky some of the people who survived this one will be around for the next one and we can actually take lessons from it, unlike ignoring many of the lessons of the Spanish flu.

Maybe we'll get famous and the Hendra virus will kick off in Queensland. A nice tropical pandemic for a new hotter world.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Somehow Morrison says poo poo that kinda sounds sensible and pushes back against NSW Dom

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...015-p590ep.html

THAT .... actually seems like a resonable border reopening plan? Aussies freely allowed to leave from Nov 1, Vaccinated citizens / permanent residents and NSW related familes allowed in, other states as per rules now.

Stranded Aussies should definitely be brought home before tourism, but I think it's mostly that Morrison absolutely wants to make the announcement about the return of tourism himself.

It was very loving weird that Perrotet tried to do this unilaterally.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Plus there are concerns that climate change might unleash some novel to the modern era pathogens that could be currently chilling out under tundra.

Part of the scary thing with the global response to COVID is it reveals how horribly we are equipped to deal with an expected future of novel or novel in scale/frequency disasters.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 15, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

I know he seemed so normal...

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

freebooter posted:

He takes his role as dom very seriously

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Counterpoint: climate driven extinction reduces the potential animal reservoirs for viruses :toot:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Animal Friend posted:

Wow that's rude I hope they don't read this.

It was intended as a general comment. A lot of people seem to think the last two years are an unprecedented imposition on daily life.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1448799554917134336

yeah that'll work

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

Nothing Perrotet has done since he became Premier gives me me the impression that he gave it any thought beforehand. Today made him look like a impulsive toddler and Morrison the adult in the room reining him in - which is not a good thing at all.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

It's been wrecking my head seeing this all over my Twitter. It's the most cringe poo poo. Wonder how much it cost

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Coal-o-phile Dundee should not have made it past a single utterance, it should have been booed out of the writers room

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nothing Perrotet has done since he became Premier gives me me the impression that he gave it any thought beforehand. Today made him look like a impulsive toddler and Morrison the adult in the room reining him in - which is not a good thing at all.

Yeah, nah?

Perrotet is an impulsive toddler grabbing the toy of reopening the borders and Morrison is another toddler snatching it and going "NO! I want to open the borders!" But it was punched up by departmental advisors so he didn't sound like he was throwing a tantrum.

You just know he got a phone call and his aides were all 'turn on the abc' or 'read this article' and Morrison went 'that fat poo poo, I'm gonna smear him on the walls of Engadine McDonalds for this, get me a press release!'

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

alf_pogs posted:

Coal-o-phile Dundee should not have made it past a single utterance, it should have been booed out of the writers room

It plays to the American boomer neoliberal demographic

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

adeadcrab posted:

It plays to the American boomer neoliberal demographic

Yes, shitloads of americans really do seem to view the rest of the world in hacky and outdated stereotypes

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Antivax law firm taking the L with grace and poise

https://twitter.com/GandBLawyers/status/1448953164481269769?s=20

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

They don't seem like very good lawyers. It's ok to kill anyone you like SO LONG as it's allowed under public health legislation.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

They don't seem like very good lawyers. It's ok to kill anyone you like SO LONG as it's allowed under public health legislation.

On the other hand they’re pretty good grifters, already crowdfunding their appeal

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

There's a follow up tweet where someone is asking if they can start going after people on their list and this great law genius is like "sure".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Eediot Jedi posted:

There's a follow up tweet where someone is asking if they can start going after people on their list and this great law genius is like "sure".

This is the same guy that posted on their company Facebook page “free legal advice to Victorians, fight mask fines in court they can’t prosecute you all” and later had to clarify that this shouldn’t in fact be taken as legal advice.

I’m no law talking guy, but I feel like misrepresenting a judges decision to this extent in your case, and arguably inciting murder by doing so, is probably pretty close to contempt of court?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

Would love to see this becoming a prosecution for inciting to kill or commit violence.

Question for any law goons, regarding this article:
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/blow-em-up-bro-cops-confronted-explosive-scene-in-high-seas-raid-of-drug-boat-20210625-p584c3.html

So the boat was stopped and boarded at 150nm from the coast, my understanding is that although within the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone, it's not territorial waters. So wouldn't the NSWPOL/AFP be engaging in piracy by boarding the boat?
EEZ only gives rights over economic resources, not full legal jurisdiction (which are supposed to end at 12nm) so I'm surprised this happened so far out from the coastline.

I assume it's just a "what are you going to do, stop us?" and makes me wonder what would happen if the ship had the means to repel boarders.

Anyone with a gold fringed flag that's read up on this stuff?

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 16, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NSW now down to 319 infections a day. So that means that there was no Grand Final spike at all

Guess we just see how next week goes as we should see any spike begin early next week due to reopening?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

NSW now down to 319 infections a day. So that means that there was no Grand Final spike at all

Guess we just see how next week goes as we should see any spike begin early next week due to reopening?

I'd wait until the weather improves, too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Would love to see this becoming a prosecution for inciting to kill or commit violence.

Question for any law goons, regarding this article:
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/blow-em-up-bro-cops-confronted-explosive-scene-in-high-seas-raid-of-drug-boat-20210625-p584c3.html

So the boat was stopped and boarded at 150nm from the coast, my understanding is that although within the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone, it's not territorial waters. So wouldn't the NSWPOL/AFP be engaging in piracy by boarding the boat?
EEZ only gives rights over economic resources, not full legal jurisdiction (which are supposed to end at 12nm) so I'm surprised this happened so far out from the coastline.

I assume it's just a "what are you going to do, stop us?" and makes me wonder what would happen if the ship had the means to repel boarders.

Anyone with a gold fringed flag that's read up on this stuff?

I assume it's because they're Australian citizens/residents...?

Something similar happened a while ago where the RAN intercepted an international drug smuggling boat somewhere way out in the Indian ocean, closer to India or Africa than us, and I can't recall if the crew were arrested but the cargo was definitely seized and destroyed, and I was confused by the legal implications of that.

edit - it was this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-03/high-seas-war-on-drugs/8966752

And it says this but doesn't really go into any deeper detail:

quote:

The Australians have authority to board and search the boat under international law and Australia’s maritime powers legislation.

It also suggests they could have brought them back to Australia for prosecution even though they're not Australian citizens and the only reason they didn't was resourcing/manpower, not lack of legal grounds:

quote:

The Australians search, seize and destroy the drugs from dhows. But they won’t seize the dhow, or detain the suspected smugglers — to do so, they would potentially have to bring them back to Australia for prosecution.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

good stuff, thats the climate taken care of then *dust off hands*

https://twitter.com/BobBurtonoz/status/1449166615581392896