Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baal posted:

FFXIII was a good game and I will die on this hill

It's a top 3 FF for me and I've played them all. Well all the ones that are actually games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Don't

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Son of Taint Reaper

No he's just nuts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

In Training posted:

It's a top 3 FF for me and I've played them all. Well all the ones that are actually games.

so all of them????

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

so all of them????

I haven't played the MMOs (11,12 and 14)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

I haven't played the MMOs (11,12 and 14)

Snap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think there's a single FF game I haven't at least tried. 11 was mostly me watching youtub tutorials for half an hour then deciding not to bother though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

What part of FF15 looks bad? Or do you just hate the 3D era of FF?

It's visually unimpressive, but that doesn't bug me too much. The voice acting was pretty bad but I know some of that is being changed but none of the characters I've seen are interesting. (Granted, we've seen very little and I've not played all of Duscae).

The gameplay in Duscae 2.0 was crappy, but that's being mixed up too so it's a moot point now.

I know that they're going in this direction with the new combat system they've talked about, but it's never really been a good idea to make a game that plays even remotely character action but sort of automatically like Duscae 2.0 did. I hope 3.0/launch is at least more similar to KH3 or how versus XIII was going to be.

So bearing in mind that the gameplay we've seen so far isn't really valid anymore due to system changes, and the gameplay I have got from 2.0 is void, the XV I've seen so far looks unspectacular at best (bad is an overstatement) but their noted interest to make things better bodes well for the game, though as a pessimist I'm not sure they can steer the ship well enough in the right direction with the time they have left to make a truly good game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think there's a single FF game I haven't at least tried. 11 was mostly me watching youtub tutorials for half an hour then deciding not to bother though.

Look man it's better than having actually played it, but then you find out it's too slow and hardcore for you, so you spend the rest of the three weeks of your sub on chasing around high level players dressed like a leather daddy and doing /dance.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They changed Cidney to Cindy. Are the localizers insane?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They already mentioned they removed automatic attacking and put in a timing system to reward careful combos. http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/09/final-fantasy-xv-automatic-battle-system-removed-more/

I'm also not seeing how it's visually unimpressive. Different tastes?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's really easy to do lots of the content in XI nowadays. The days of LFG for 10 hours are long gone. Lots of ways to get super powerful and splatter former endgame content as well as NPC helpers and such.

Granted, it'll take a long time to learn how to do that and where to go to do things, but that's the nature of an ancient MMO for you. The story as a whole has some interesting characters though, like the ones you see in Dissidia like Prishe and Shantotto.

Tae posted:

They already mentioned they removed automatic attacking and put in a timing system to reward careful combos. http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/09/final-fantasy-xv-automatic-battle-system-removed-more/

I'm also not seeing how it's visually unimpressive. Different tastes?

Yeah, the thing you're talking about is why I don't consider any experience with the combat valid anymore.

And yeah, taste comes into it, but it's pretty flat and drab to me and being only 30FPS doesn't help. It does look better in the city scenes we saw with Leviathan shooting about, but I don't really think this generation's all too great as a whole and am a firm believer of art styles and alternate approaches looking better than attempts at realism. I'd take the new Valkyria game's graphics over everything we've seen in XV so far for example and we've only seen a handful of screens from that game.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 30, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

PunkBoy posted:

I unironically would love to see Nomura's Baz Luhrmann-inspired Final Fantasy game one day.

Edit: I wonder what the reaction would be if that's what he makes the FFVII remake into.

If we're going bizarre Nomura ideas for the FFVII remake, you missed the other, better option...

FFVII: The Musical

Cross-dressing Cloud was made for musical theatre.

Edit: Well, I'm an idiot. But I'll leave this here for all to see. I had no idea he directed Moulin Rouge as well as Romeo + Juliet, which is what I thought people were referencing.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 30, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Re 15: Visually I think it looks pretty though it chugged a little on PS4. Not the biggest deal since FO4 does and it's still fun. The VA/direction was outright shoddy but like has been said, they've said they're addressing it. The combat in 3.0 is what I'm really wondering about. Taking out automatic attacks is fine but I don't want to button mash and I'm not expecting Bayonetta or even Souls' quality of combat. I mean, that would be cool but I don't see it happening. Just sort of antsy to see what exactly it's going to feel like.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

In Training posted:

They changed Cidney to Cindy. Are the localizers insane?

There is a real, actual Cid in FFXV, different from her, who is apparently his daughter??? I don't understand why this inspires so much surprise from people. Cindy is just plain a better name than Cidney, which is a dumb pun. Ironically, I wouldn't care if her name was Sydney, because that's a real thing. Love you Australia, please don't put man eating scorpions in my Kool-Aid, thx in advance.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cidney's a name. Sidney's a much more common spelling of it, but there are some Cidneys too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah, but in this case people were hoping for the name to be Cidney not because it was a name, but because "LOL CID"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I prefer Cidney to Cindy and even considering the unisex nature of the name, Cidney strikes me as the feminine way of spelling it as opposed to Sidney being a male way.

Cindy just reminds me of Commando and no FF game will ever be as cool or fun as Commando, it's not a good look.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Cindy is also kind of a cheesy stripper name. I guess that fits the original design.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I for one am glad we finally have a hot Cid. The last one was FF7 Cid.

Al-Cid al-most counts.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm honestly kind of hoping that Cindy is just a one off character that appears just that once and never again, the rest of the game your mechanic buddy is the actual Cid, because a story centered around the friendship of a group of guys should have as little female screentime as possible. This is no game for love interests, the closest you come is taking Gladiolus to the movies to watch Bahamutzilla, but not in a romantic way, just two bros hanging out.

EDIT:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Al-Cid al-most counts.

They showed him? When was this?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gologle posted:

EDIT:

They showed him? When was this?

It's the one in the short shorts and fixing your car. That's the hot Cid(ney)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Al-Cid al-most counts.

Robin "Cid" Williams claiming a hot wife like Edea means that he's canonically pretty drat hot too. No way she'd settle, she's the most powerful person in the world.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

It's the one in the short shorts and fixing your car. That's the hot Cid(ney)

I respect your denial of the truth, but we both know when the game is released which one will be the more prominent character.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If Al-Cid doesn't count then this pageant is a sham

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Robin "Cid" Williams claiming a hot wife like Edea means that he's canonically pretty drat hot too. No way she'd settle, she's the most powerful person in the world.

They ran an orphanage in the middle of nowhere which is Settling For Children. Edea's life was nothing but settling. Bad husband, no kids of her own so they adopt a bunch of poo poo kids, lets herself turn into satan-witch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Well she did ditch him for emperorship of Galbadia the second she got her powers...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Do we even want her to be named CIDney? Like, look at the track records of Cid characters in Final Fantasy. One caused Dissidia to happen, one blew himself up with explosives after leaping from an airship, one couldn't stop the fire crystal from exploding, one was a wife beater, several aided the evil empire, one was basically a lame Big Boss in charge of a PMC school, the list goes on. Maybe FFXV Cid decided to name his daughter that to spare her the curse of Cid?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

They ran an orphanage in the middle of nowhere which is Settling For Children. Edea's life was nothing but settling. Bad husband, no kids of her own so they adopt a bunch of poo poo kids, lets herself turn into satan-witch.

Please don't orphan shame, that's very problematic.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cidney is more interesting than cindy, which would be like if terra was named tina or something stupid

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All the best FFs are about orphans so I feel like we as fans should be considered honorary orphans and allowed to use orphans in whatever humorous ways we want.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Somebody post a gif of FFXIII Orphan with Etro's Gate clearly behind him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spin it that way if you want, I prefer my Cid is a total stud and she wanted to keep him all to herself so she shacked up in a crappy lighthouse with him in the middle of nowhere to hide from the competition narrative.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gologle posted:

Do we even want her to be named CIDney? Like, look at the track records of Cid characters in Final Fantasy. One caused Dissidia to happen, one blew himself up with explosives after leaping from an airship, one couldn't stop the fire crystal from exploding, one was a wife beater, several aided the evil empire, one was basically a lame Big Boss in charge of a PMC school, the list goes on. Maybe FFXV Cid decided to name his daughter that to spare her the curse of Cid?

The one that blew himself up survived both the explosions and the subsequent miles-high plummet to the ground below. FF4 Cid is not a man you want to gently caress with.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoF-GgJZHo

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

abagofcheetos posted:

Speaking of Type-0, does it still come with the FFXV demo? Bought a copy on Amazon so it hasn't arrived yet, but I assume by this point it doesn't.

To answer my own question, it indeed does. Day One edition :laugh:

I can already tell that this going to be an Xbone situation where Day One editions are still available brand new over a year later.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think I find the Thunder Plains minigame in X-2 more annoying than the one in X. That is an accomplishment.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think I find the Thunder Plains minigame in X-2 more annoying than the one in X. That is an accomplishment.

You never need to touch it, even if you're going for the platinum

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I still think "Your tombstone will read 'your everything.'" is pretty rad.

Just read it in Dave Bautista's voice and imagine it's Drax saying it. It works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Help Im Alive posted:

You never need to touch it, even if you're going for the platinum

But there's a Garment Grid in it for me!

(I've just moved on, conceding that I probably can't do it; that said, it would back up my opinion since I was stupid enough to sit through all 200 lightning bolts)