Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

given a queue is often a central point of failure, there is on average a higher probability that the queue is down as opposed to a majority of the servers or workers handling the requests.

then don't use a queue. its not helping you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

you cant have backpressure and queues. they're incompatible. either you have important data that needs to be queued in which case you can never under and circumstance tell the clients to gently caress off or you don't have important data and you can tell your clients to gently caress off at which point you should not be using a queue because it does not help you. just have the clients talk directly to the processor that the queue is feeding.

the queue is a single point of failure in theory, but you already had a single point of failure in the processor that the queue is feeding. the idea is that the queue is more reliable and available than whatever is doing the processing and you are moving the single point of failure from the processor to the queue.

A queue that is out of memory is either going to refuse new input, drop existing ones to make place, or crash, which will unfortunately do both at once.

A queue for which you have no mechanism to deal with overload is the worst of both worlds. Lack of decision means you lose data and stop being able to write. I don't care if your YOSPOS trigger-happy shaggarific solution is "fire the dude who made a mistake", the mistake will be made anyway and you're better prepared if you consider that humans operate your systems and that humans will make mistakes and that no amount of preset procedures will prevent that.

The backpressure your queue implements might result in a few requests being dropped, and then the system discovering that and going offline ASAP to prevent people from trying to make requests that can never be fulfilled, for example. This is a thousand times better than your lovely "lol just dont ever crash" joke of a solution. If imperfect operators are not part of your system plan, then your system plan is bad and you are the one to blame for the failures encountered.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

although scratch that, no software developer is never responsible for anything this is not real engineering

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NihilCredo posted:

my favourite part about amazon sqs is the amazon techies completely dodging my questions re: 'is there any issue with

you can end your question right there

they’re probably been told answering an explicit “is there an issue” question can incur some sort of liability

try rephrasing your question to not imply they may be at fault for something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

of course I still don’t know of anyone who’s managed to switch to java 9 yet, let alone considering 10. we’re certainly stuck on 8 for the time being. that compatibility break was pretty bad.

where is the compatibility break?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

you cant have backpressure and queues. they're incompatible. either you have important data that needs to be queued in which case you can never under and circumstance tell the clients to gently caress off or you don't have important data and you can tell your clients to gently caress off at which point you should not be using a queue because it does not help you. just have the clients talk directly to the processor that the queue is feeding.

the queue is a single point of failure in theory, but you already had a single point of failure in the processor that the queue is feeding. the idea is that the queue is more reliable and available than whatever is doing the processing and you are moving the single point of failure from the processor to the queue.

under the right circumstances, a queue makes an excellent buffer

there are at least two reasons you might want a bigass buffer

• handle surges in demand

you can only consume from the queue so fast. if producers are temporarily ahead of the consumers, that's ok, they'll catch up.

• de-couple system downtimes

if the consumers are down for maintenance, the producers can continue writing into the buffer. or vice versa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

A queue that is out of memory is either going to refuse new input, drop existing ones to make place, or crash, which will unfortunately do both at once.

A queue for which you have no mechanism to deal with overload is the worst of both worlds. Lack of decision means you lose data and stop being able to write. I don't care if your YOSPOS trigger-happy shaggarific solution is "fire the dude who made a mistake", the mistake will be made anyway and you're better prepared if you consider that humans operate your systems and that humans will make mistakes and that no amount of preset procedures will prevent that.

The backpressure your queue implements might result in a few requests being dropped, and then the system discovering that and going offline ASAP to prevent people from trying to make requests that can never be fulfilled, for example. This is a thousand times better than your lovely "lol just dont ever crash" joke of a solution. If imperfect operators are not part of your system plan, then your system plan is bad and you are the one to blame for the failures encountered.

the idea that the queue can understand that its overloaded and disable itself is a joke. its going to either be crashed or its going to be working. if it could detect that its down you'd just restart it. I only have one significant queue (and its in a db) and its never logically down because its existence is tied in with the clients that use it. they cant do work that generates items for the queue unless the entire system is up.

the database is technically a single point of failure, but it also guarantees I never lose data like you are suggesting I should.

also the way I deal with overload is expanding the number of workers processing the output.

ignoring the client input is retarded unless your data doesn't matter in which case you don't need a queue.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can only consume from the queue so fast. if producers are temporarily ahead of the consumers, that's ok, they'll catch up.

if the consumers are down for maintenance, the producers can continue writing into the buffer. or vice versa

right your buffer is there to ensure you never have to reject incoming items.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MononcQc posted:

although scratch that, no software developer is never responsible for anything this is not real engineering

this is fine because most software doesn't actually matter

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

One normally communicates with a database via a queue, it's a bit odd to proceed and say queues are bad.

For certified messaging you always need a permanent store such as a database, the larger ones also have built in transaction managers to enable complex messaging patterns. One goal of a queue is to improve performance by removing synchronous stepping, but that is looking at the smaller picture. In situations like back and middle office banking messages need to flow through multiple systems and queuing is the tool to power the decoupling of these ridiculously complex, expensive, independently managed and developed monsters.

Opinions from working at teh information bus company.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

the idea that the queue can understand that its overloaded and disable itself is a joke. its going to either be crashed or its going to be working. if it could detect that its down you'd just restart it. I only have one significant queue (and its in a db) and its never logically down because its existence is tied in with the clients that use it. they cant do work that generates items for the queue unless the entire system is up.

the database is technically a single point of failure, but it also guarantees I never lose data like you are suggesting I should.

also the way I deal with overload is expanding the number of workers processing the output.

ignoring the client input is retarded unless your data doesn't matter in which case you don't need a queue.

Your database queue implements exactly what I'm talking about : if it is in no position to work, then the clients go down as well and are in no position to insert data into it. This means that the queue outage is propagated to the clients who stop all input, and that the data should not be lost in the existing queue. That's good. That's exactly the kind of backpressure propagation I was talking about.

Now if you start thinking a bit more, you can imagine something like clients that have circuit-breakers such that if their queue is decoupled from the DB (or stored over multiple DBs) and it falls over or stops being responsive (because it got a 30s GC pause or some poo poo that happens in Cassandra in the real world for one example), then the client knows the queue or storage engine cannot take input right now, and they can do something like return an error message until they detect things to be working again.

This also lets you do partial fault handling where a queue being down does not necessarily equals all queues being down, or doing things like retrying to store data in failover or standby instances, which gives you better uptime than just restarting that one central queue or DB. Or they just bail out and do the basic thing, that's okay too.

If you flip it around and the queue software has a high watermark when it starts being at risk for stability (say, by detecting memory pressure and/or entry count) then the queue system can preemptively return the error code to people trying to insert data into it, and the consumers can keep working! This means that instead of crashing and needing long recovery cycles, you do flow control with your backpressure mechanism, ensuring more throughput overall than what you'd get through violent crash/restart cycles.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 21, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sure, but you should handle both of these with an internal queue. you should never just expose a queue for clients to blindly write into

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if your data is important enough to preserve then it's important enough for its origin to hang on to it until your service is ready to accept.

even an limited-functionality embedded sensor of some kind talking to a big beefy cloud server can't rely on an un-disrupted link to that cloud server at all times.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
extending the queue down into the client is a bad idea especially since the client is generally the least reliable part of the system

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sapozhnik posted:

if your data is important enough to preserve then it's important enough for its origin to hang on to it until your service is ready to accept.

even an limited-functionality embedded sensor of some kind talking to a big beefy cloud server can't rely on an un-disrupted link to that cloud server at all times.

holdup circuit calculation for "the entirety of data ive collected since boot"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the talent deficit posted:

sure, but you should handle both of these with an internal queue. you should never just expose a queue for clients to blindly write into

the clients are a swarm of individually unreliable components

the queue is Kafka — it’s purpose in life is to separate the high integrity, fault tolerant buffer from your application

all of the producers and consumers can rely on the queue to manage state and integrity for messages in flight, so that complexity isn’t built into the apps

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

a remote sensor on the far end of an unreliable link is probably not a great place for an enterprise service bus or Kafka queue or really anything..

that is a bad and weird place to be, and the normal solutions are not applicable

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Soricidus posted:

queue queue more

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

extending the queue down into the client is a bad idea especially since the client is generally the least reliable part of the system

the queue remains as it was, you can just try to make the clients a bit smarter to cope with the inevitable.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

eschaton posted:

they’re probably been told answering an explicit “is there an issue” question can incur some sort of liability

thanks for the tip

my actual phrasing was roughly: "1) is there a recommended usage pattern for querying and purging a sqs (eg "please purge it at least once a minute") and 2) what sort of things might happen if we deviate from such a pattern?"

relevant, we didn't set up the queue for ourselves, we were working with a service for amazon merchants

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 21, 2018

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

the queue remains as it was, you can just try to make the clients a bit smarter to cope with the inevitable.

you could set up a queue inside each client, then those queues could feed data into the server-side queue

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
um so yes

the persistant

durable

replicated

queue

that one

the one we're using

how can we purge it every minute

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

post your biggest queues

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

a few hundred a second through zeroMQ is my personal best

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
10mb per message

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

worked with a guy who didn’t understand topics and instead created thousands of queues, one per “entity”, each with max one message at a time

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

eschaton posted:

aws can also be quite cagey on discussing implementation details that are not desired and will (in the fullness of time!) be changed

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rt4 posted:

you could set up a queue inside each client, then those queues could feed data into the server-side queue

if you get reliable clients then yes definitely and then you can get rid of the server-side queue entirely and replace it by a load-balancer and get the same result but with a horizontally scalable component instead of a single point of failure.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
has monococqc not linked https://ferd.ca/queues-don-t-fix-overload.html because if he hasn't he should link https://ferd.ca/queues-don-t-fix-overload.html

MononcQc posted:

if you get reliable clients then yes definitely and then you can get rid of the server-side queue entirely and replace it by a load-balancer and get the same result but with a horizontally scalable component instead of a single point of failure.

or more abstractly: in the same way that you shouldn't handle every exception at the lowest possible level in your system (because only the higher-level callers know what's right to do), you should also push the decision about the importance, necessity, and lifetime of a particular piece of work in your system out towards the services that have the most context

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 22, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Soricidus posted:

yes, one of the big concepts behind java 9 modules was to make bundling a jvm less terrible by letting you only bundle the parts of it that your software uses

is jigsaw even complete? there was all that drama and the release date of java 9 getting pushed back several times, i don't know how it shook out

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

quote:

monococqc

while we’re butchering the username, whats the story behind it? if you can say, I don’t mean you to reveal sensitive info or anything. I parse it as "my uncle quebec" but I suspect that’s a bad guess

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s quebecois for “echidna penis”

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

it’s quebecois for “echidna penis”

please. the canonical name is "echopenis"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
cuz echi's dick just be out in the wilderness shouting "hellooooo hellohellohello?"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
keys to yospos stardom:

• write blog post disrespecting queues
  • name refers to animal penis

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Shaggar posted:

That would be the user

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

tef posted:

um so yes

the persistant

durable

replicated

queue

that one

the one we're using

how can we purge it every minute

yeah that was pretty much my reaction too the first time it happened

well, no, it was 'surely i must have made some really amateurish mistake in reading the docs, it must have been spelled out somewhere that it needs to be purged'

i really wish i could show you the emails from the yoga-enthusiast amazon business manager repeatedly begging us 'uhm, the queue hasn't been purged for 3 days and it's causing us ~~~problems~~~, can you pleeease clean it?'

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where is the compatibility break?

before modules there was no way to hide internal apis, you could only ask nicely. and the public apis are usually inadequate. so many libraries rely on internal apis, and our code relies on those libraries, and now it doesn’t run at all on java 9.

the end result is that you have a choice between supporting java 8 only, java 9 only, or doing significantly more work to maintain two versions of your code. that’s a non starter and java 8 works fine so we’re sticking with that until all the third party libraries get updated or replacements emerge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

pokeyman posted:

while we’re butchering the username, whats the story behind it? if you can say, I don’t mean you to reveal sensitive info or anything. I parse it as "my uncle quebec" but I suspect that’s a bad guess

that’s the correct reading. ‘Mononc’ is a joual deformation / contraction of ‘mon oncle’, as used by children to just directly mean ‘uncle’.

I picked it as a teen because back then: I was a bit too patriotic for no reason, the Qc bit would probably be support my apologies when being bad at English, I thought it would be funny to be a kid named ‘uncle’, the name was always free everywhere, and I really liked (and still do) the artist ‘Mononc Serge’

I mostly stuck with it because the name was still free everywhere so I never needed to adapt it. When I started getting more technical accounts, ‘ferd’ turned out to often be free so I started using that one in a bunch of places as well.