Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

It's like you're hockey harry potter being led around by your stick/broom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That HUT league setup sounds exactly to how EASHL is set up now.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah its the same for all of the online modes except GMC. Get > x points you go up a division, < x points you go down a division. Somewhere inbetween and you just stay put.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Zilkin posted:

I could use some total newbie tips, trying to get back into NHL games after over 10 year break. First of all which offensive and defensive tactics people here use?

More importantly it feels like pokechecks and tackles are way more effective for my human opponents than they are for me, so obviously I'm doing something wrong. Do people just constantly spam the pokecheck button, and is it the lift stick button they use to slow my players down from behind? Also if anyone knows good tutorial that goes over basic stuff like it would be cool, thought the ingame tutorial was pretty useless.

I could do with some tactical advice too. I played for 2.5 hours last night and only won one game, my usual breakout rush, shoot for rebounds style is NOT working at all. I've tried cycling the puck, dangling in front of the netminder but I'm struggling to get the biscuit in the basket. Basically, I suck rear end. I became reliant in the NHL 13 on the breakaway wide angle top shelf shots, but EA seem to have removed that.

Also, in the games I played last night, I found that I was getting scored on with weak rear end goals in the first period, is this a glitch? Opponents were getting 3 or 4 goals in the first period and then I had to claw back 3 goals over the next two to make it a close game. I'm talking redicilously weak goals, gifted goals, off the blocker and in, hitting the net minder, bouncing up in the air and over his head and in, completely piss taking goals. Anyone else found this?

Oh, just for the record, playing in ranked games against my buddies, I was 4-0-0 (CHAMP) after last night I am 5-7-1. What a load of poo poo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Blinks posted:

Also, in the games I played last night, I found that I was getting scored on with weak rear end goals in the first period, is this a glitch? Opponents were getting 3 or 4 goals in the first period and then I had to claw back 3 goals over the next two to make it a close game. I'm talking redicilously weak goals, gifted goals, off the blocker and in, hitting the net minder, bouncing up in the air and over his head and in, completely piss taking goals. Anyone else found this?

Hockles posted:

This year's money goal:

1) Be a left handed shot, shooting on a regular (glove on left hand) goalie
2) Skate right to left through the high slot, shoot over glove hand
3) repeat

Alternatively, just shoot at the glove. We just faced a team that scored 6 times, in the exact same spot.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Thanks Hockles. I play as the Devils (Uk goon but Jersey loyal, unlike Kovi) and I have found a slapper from just over the blue with Jagr is pretty reliable.

I need to swing in and wrister more then. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So was that their fix for the hercules check? If the game detects you're out of bounds it just warps you back to the last known good position? :effort:

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
A few HUT questions:
Any advice on how to best build a team in HUT? I currently have my starter pack of bronze guys and nothing else. Should I save all my pucks for Gold packs or will that never be sustainable without spending money. Can I pull off building a silver team and sustaining it?

Is the only way to come back from an injury to use a consumable? Otherwise how do I find out how long guys are out?

Is there any way to move a guy from the scratched list to the lineups? As far as I can tell you have to move them to the collection then back to the lineup. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

gman14msu posted:

Is the only way to come back from an injury to use a consumable? Otherwise how do I find out how long guys are out?

Is there any way to move a guy from the scratched list to the lineups? As far as I can tell you have to move them to the collection then back to the lineup. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

1) If you scroll through the card "sides" there is one that will tell you how many games they are injured for. They need to be on your roster, scratched, for the games to count for them to "get better"

2) I believe if you just scroll all the way down past the bottom line, or use the RS down, it takes you to the scratched list.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hey Hockles, I showed my friends your awesome Be A Pro you ran over the summer and they want me to do a small one just with the 10 of us. Ive figured out where everything Im looking for would be, except I dont know how you created players to start in the CHL to get drafted. It seems to only let you create players already in the league and Im just wondering if Im missing something super simple in the creation menu.

I played my first drop-in game last night, got put as goalie and within 5 seconds the other goalie was punching my face in. Apparently the other team was bored since they were up 10-0. In the second. :smith:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Furnaceface posted:

Hey Hockles, I showed my friends your awesome Be A Pro you ran over the summer and they want me to do a small one just with the 10 of us. Ive figured out where everything Im looking for would be, except I dont know how you created players to start in the CHL to get drafted. It seems to only let you create players already in the league and Im just wondering if Im missing something super simple in the creation menu.

This is how it worked in NHL 13:

Create a Player between 16-19 years old. Do not assign them to a team in the Creator, let them be free agents (Team: None). Then use Roster Management to place them on whatever CHL team you want. Make sure you set up a separate BAP roster save before creating the players, so your BAP guys don't get into your other modes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The roster manager, totally forgot about that. :doh:

Thanks for the heads up on the roster save file too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

gman14msu posted:

A few HUT questions:
Any advice on how to best build a team in HUT? I currently have my starter pack of bronze guys and nothing else. Should I save all my pucks for Gold packs or will that never be sustainable without spending money. Can I pull off building a silver team and sustaining it?

If I were you I would just buy a bunch of 80-ish rated players for cheap. Packs are a crapshoot

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

triplexpac posted:

If I were you I would just buy a bunch of 80-ish rated players for cheap. Packs are a crapshoot

Seconding this. I've had much better success buying gold and silver contracts individually and hunting for the best player within my spending range. Otherwise you'll go broke buying packs just to have enough contract cards to keep an eligible team.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
my first hut online game was against against a guy with dozens of games and half an all star team while I have 2 guys over 80; glad to see that hut matchmaking hasn't changed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat. I got Cooked.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/170976062

Pretty cool that it can happen though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Jack_tripper posted:

my first hut online game was against against a guy with dozens of games and half an all star team while I have 2 guys over 80; glad to see that hut matchmaking hasn't changed

I've had good luck with HUT matchmaking so far... played about 5 games, every team I've played has been competitive and didn't have any allstar players.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Jack_tripper posted:

The problem with their matchmaking in all modes is that it doesn't appear to take team OVRs into account--only leaderboard performance.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
The problem with the way the promotion/relegation system is, for some reason, the higher you go in the standings, the more you need to do in order to get any bonuses, despite facing harder competition. It's going to be the peter principle in action - everyone will play themselves to a level where they are no longer competitive enough to succeed, but are just competitive enough to not be relegated

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Excuse me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekatbghw_q4

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Furnaceface,

You are going to be getting an updated and more realistic stat simulator. I noticed in BeAGM that the starting goalies are rotated much more intelligently. Such as, in the playoffs, the starting goalie plays 90-100% of the games, instead of 4 on 1 off like in 13 and years before. I'm sure other things are tweaked, but that stood out to me.

e: they added AHL awards too

e2: You can sort the retirement screen :allears:

Hockles fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 16, 2013

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Man, these last few days I've been getting decimated in HUT by idiotic shots and pokepokepoke checks. I even upgraded to Rinne and it hasn't helped. :saddowns:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was playing in NHL 12 and had Colton Gillies check somebody partly over the boards into the bench, only to have a teammate during a normal change push the player the rest of the way into my bench.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hockles posted:

Furnaceface,

You are going to be getting an updated and more realistic stat simulator. I noticed in BeAGM that the starting goalies are rotated much more intelligently. Such as, in the playoffs, the starting goalie plays 90-100% of the games, instead of 4 on 1 off like in 13 and years before. I'm sure other things are tweaked, but that stood out to me.

e: they added AHL awards too

e2: You can sort the retirement screen :allears:

Yeah I was messing around last night and it seems like the AI is only partially stupid and not full on Carlyle Stupid. There are still a stupid number of menus to navigate, but sorting and searching isnt as bad as I thought it would be.

Also Rene Bourque won the Rocket Richard the first season I simmed. :stare:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So is someone gonna do an xbox GMC again??

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 17, 2013

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So is someone gonna do an xbox GMC again??

I'd be up for this, assuming that there's an easy way to let games be simmed without a crazy penalty.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
is anyone having success fighting the cpu on higher difficulty levels? it's just a constant barrage of bullshit, with the 1 punch knockouts and repeatedly dragging you to the ground; you can't even just counterpunch like previous years, the AI can punch then instadodge your counter and counter back unavoidably

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I can't fight the AI to save my life.

I dunno if anyone noticed, but EA released a "limited quantity" pack of cars for HUT over the weekend and it was gone in like an hour. I didn't even hear about it before it was sold out, I just saw the ad on the dashboard after the fact.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Jack_tripper posted:

is anyone having success fighting the cpu on higher difficulty levels? it's just a constant barrage of bullshit, with the 1 punch knockouts and constantly dragging you to the ground; you can't even just counterpunch like previous years, the AI can punch then instadodge your counter and counter back unavoidably

There is a slider specifically for fighting the AI. You can just turn that down a few notches.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Hockles posted:

There is a slider specifically for fighting the AI. You can just turn that down a few notches.

I'm playing the allstar single player HUT tourney and random AHL scrubs are whipping my NHL grinders around like kramer fighting children in karate class

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Well poo poo. finally played online HUT deliberately, and I was not embarrassingly bad. :unsmith:

Better than last time in NHL 13, where after scoring on me 10 times, guy kept passing it back to me and pulling his goalie. I know he meant it well but never wanted to ragequit that hard out of embarrassment before.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Only my second game as a skater in EASHL(I usually play goaltender) in NHL14 and I get a game misconduct in the early second period for boarding. Proposting from the penalty box.

Also, I still managed to get a Gordie Howe hat trick in the game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Rutkowski posted:

Only my second game as a skater in EASHL(I usually play goaltender) in NHL14 and I get a game misconduct in the early second period for boarding. Proposting from the penalty box.

Also, I still managed to get a Gordie Howe hat trick in the game.

You have arrived.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Hockles posted:

You have arrived.
Only picked LW(who is a grinder for me, only got defensive players*) because the goaltender slot was taken on both teams.

*LW-Grinder, C-Power Forward, RW-Two-Way Forward, D-Defensive D-Man

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
If all things are considered equal, is there a style of goalie that's best in this game?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I think hybrid is the best in EASHL. Butterfly is far too weak on the corner shots and standing is just weak overall.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Rutkowski posted:

I think hybrid is the best in EASHL. Butterfly is far too weak on the corner shots and standing is just weak overall.

I actually think the best choice is to build a stand-up goalie and then spend the great majority of your active goalie-ing in the butterfly. In EASHL most of the shots you're going to face are either right on the ice (backhands/redirects/those guys who pump up their passing stat and then try to pass it into the net to take advantage of the goalie AI not recognizing that as a shot) or guys aiming for the high corners of the net. Stand-up is the build that starts with the highest attributes for high glove and high stick saves, and they're the cheapest to raise, so when you pump most of your reflexes XP into those two the end result is that you have a solid defense against shots on the ice due to being in the butterfly, but you can also stop a lot of the high shots that you might not be able to with a different build.

But as always most of being a good human goaltender is having a solid team defending in front of you.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

coldtaxi posted:

a solid team defending in front of you.
:catstare:

You're not from around here, are you.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pleads posted:

:catstare:

You're not from around here, are you.

We are EXCELLENT at clearing the crease... for players not involved in the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Is me or is the AI more retarded? After a game of my guy skating away from loose pucks, two breakaways foiled by the ai rushing offsides, and my online opponent discovering that skating to my goal line and taking an off angle shot scored every single loving time i'm ready to break all four of my controllers in sequence

• Locked thread