Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The best part of that Mein Kampf thread is Travis McGee using it to hock his own work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

quote:

Try reading a couple of chapters substituting “white male” for “Jew”. I promise you an eerily familiar experience.
Persecuted white males.

Gah!
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

personification of the wimpification

Nice work freeper.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Ocrassus posted:

These guys must frickin love Rugby then. No armour, dudes are stacked and literally wrestle the ball off each other.
Much like with soccer, the USA team is terrible at it. Thus it is a sissy sport for faggots that are unworthy of America's contributions to global spectator sports :smuggo:

Seriously though, I would contend that if the USA was in the world cup of football or rugby, FReepers would be beating their chests proudly singing the praises of how awesome the sport is.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

kik2dagroin posted:

Much like with soccer, the USA team is terrible at it. Thus it is a sissy sport for faggots that are unworthy of America's contributions to global spectator sports :smuggo:

Seriously though, I would contend that if the USA was in the world cup of football or rugby, FReepers would be beating their chests proudly singing the praises of how awesome the sport is.

the US is ranked 14th in the world in soccer and has qualified for every world cup since 1990. so im not seeing your point.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Your Weird Uncle posted:

the US is ranked 14th in the world in soccer and has qualified for every world cup since 1990. so im not seeing your point.
In the Freeper mind, if you don't win, you're a loser. That's the point.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
EDIT: ^^^^^

Your Weird Uncle posted:

The US has to actually beat everyone else in the world for them to give a poo poo.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Your Weird Uncle posted:

Also there's women's soccer, but almost nobody seems to think any women's sport counts for anything. I think there's tennis and that's pretty much it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

cafel posted:

Also there's women's soccer, but almost nobody seems to think any women's sport counts for anything. I think there's tennis and that's pretty much it.
Beach volleyball. There's either got to be grunting that can be construed as gently caress noises or bouncing titties and asses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

deep space nein posted:

America's obsession with "manly" sports results in 6th graders playing through concussions and at least one highschooler/college player a year dying of dehydration because if they're not literally near death in practice they obviously don't want it bad enough. The NFL might be the most brutal because of the size and speed involved but its plain sadistic to watch a 5' tall kid be screamed at to run head first into someone twice his size for the glory of a last place junior high school.

Also I'm loving the irony of freepers mocking the athleticism of soccer while also mentioning that baseball exists.

Soccer and Rugby are frequently even more brutal than those sports so I'm not exactly sure why you think this is an American only thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Soccer and Rugby are frequently even more brutal than those sports so I'm not exactly sure why you think this is an American only thing.
Do school rugby teams become primary profit/scandal centers for foreign schools?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not trying to get into some kind of 'brutal off', because it manages to be even stupider than masturbatory 'which is better' arguments, but American football is consistently found to have a far higher rate of injury than pretty much any other sport.

I would definitely encourage parents to think about it a little before putting their kids into a league.

edit: figure from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1941297/

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It most certainly isn't an America-only thing. For an infamous example from NZ rugby:

Wikipedia posted:

Shelford made his Test debut for the All Blacks later that year against France in a 19–7 victory in Toulouse, and then was a notable victim of the infamous "Battle of Nantes" in the second Test. Roughly 20 minutes into the match, he was caught at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck, and an errant French boot found its way into Shelford's groin, somehow ripping his scrotum and leaving one testicle hanging free. He also lost four teeth in the process. Incredibly, after discovering the injury to his scrotum, he calmly asked the physio to stitch up the tear and returned to the field before a blow to his head left him concussed.
Buck Shelford is considered almost a god in NZ, in no small part for "ah fuckit it's only a ball, I got two".

Nessus posted:

Do school rugby teams become primary profit/scandal centers for foreign schools?
My high school principal flew to Tonga to specifically recruit three players for the school rugby team.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's a boring book written by a limited mind. And yes, I own a copy.

Oh, so do I; it was just funny seeing them try to pin it on everyone else as something nefarious. Just a book, and an important one at that, though not terribly interesting. No shame in owning or reading a book, even a bad one like that if there's something good to be gained from it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
As far as least-safe sports go, I think hurling looks the most dangerous.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

baw posted:

My mind misinterpreted "hurling" as "curling" for a second and I had a pretty decent :psyduck: moment there.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, so do I; it was just funny seeing them try to pin it on everyone else as something nefarious. Just a book, and an important one at that, though not terribly interesting. No shame in owning or reading a book, even a bad one like that if there's something good to be gained from it.

The key difference is that we acknowledge the possibility of reading a book without agreeing with it. As far as Freep is concerned, so much as looking at a copy of "Rules for Radicals" makes one an Alinsky disciple.

e: drat typos

IrritationX fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 11, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

IrritationX posted:

The key difference is that we acknowledge the possibility of reading a book without agreeing with it. As far as Freep is concerned, so much as looking at a copy of "Rukes for Radicals" makes one an Alinsky disciple.
Why would you read anything that didn't reinforce your own beliefs and ridicule your enemies?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But first, what does Rush have to say about it?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

cafel posted:

I'm not trying to get into some kind of 'brutal off', because it manages to be even stupider than masturbatory 'which is better' arguments, but American football is consistently found to have a far higher rate of injury than pretty much any other sport.

I would definitely encourage parents to think about it a little before putting their kids into a league.

edit: figure from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1941297/

'American football is consistently found to have a higher injury rate in america.'

Seriously, you guys don't even play it much, so you can't really balance the statistics like that.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

Why would you read anything that didn't reinforce your own beliefs and ridicule your enemies?

Reading and quoting specific bits of mein Kampf at neo nazis actually becomes a very useful tool for ridiculing them.

It's even better when they start frothing at the mouth and accusing you of being the real racist and genocidal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cafel posted:

Well small if you only count white people.
So given the freep mentality, small.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If there's one thing hate-reading freep has taught me...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3109814/posts

quote:

Welcome to Obama’s Department of Justice. The inmates are running the asylum
....and as Navigators (Holders People Navigators = HPN):

(picture of a black guy helping an elderly white couple go over a bunch of paperwork)

HPN....OK whitey....lets check your voter registrations ....

HPN....Looks like you need to make a couple of adjustments here....

OK now I see it......your colonoscopy is scheduled for next month.....and the insulin will be mailed as before...

HPN Thinks...."this desk job sure beats stealing cell phones and a once a year gig patrolling voting booths with my billy club."

(He also got the message about hiding the screen image of his laptop)

30 posted on 1/8/2014 7:31:16 PM by spokeshave (OMG.......Schadenfreude overload is not covered under Obamacare :-()

...it's that the teabaggers hate black people. I mean they hate black people. They really, really, really hate black people. There is probably some way you could theoretically overemphasize the importance of the tea party's hatred of black people in their response to cultural changes and government policies, but you'd have to work really hard to do so.

quote:

To: Dqban22
Race war is inevitable. Prepare accordingly.

51 posted on 1/8/2014 8:59:19 PM by Noumenon (Resistance. Restoration. Retribution.)

:freep: hates latinos and gays and Muslims and liberals and lots of other groups too, but none of those hatreds forms such an important part of their identity as does their hatred of black people.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 10, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
It's gotta be exhausting to hate so many people.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I think you will find that hating all freepers is actually quite invigorating.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

baw posted:

Changing the rules to require face guard helmets was probably a good idea. I spent two seasons thinking "well, I guess the helmet is good just in case", and then took a vertical axe-chop to the face and was profoundly glad I had a faceguard.

It's rambunctious, but not ridiculous. There's no tackling, you can't deliberately hit someone with a stick or perpindiculalry slash another's stick, and it partially avoids huge pile-ups because the field is way bigger than a soccer field and you can slang the ball so far that people need to spread out a lot to cover the to field. If any unguarded guy gets a free second with the ball within 50m of the goal, he's just going to slam it way out and over the crossbar for an unblockable 1-pointer, so covering all men on your side is key. Plus there's no offsides in Irish sports, so the "forwards" are literally up chilling by the goal while folks are scrapping for the ball at midfield.

In several seasons of playing hurling, I've never had or seen any bad injuries in my local pickup league, whereas when we play Gaelic football (same basic game as hurling but with a volleyball and hands instead of baseball and stick) I've badly jacked tendons in y hand once and ankle once, and seen a few other bad injuries like ACL tear and one guy getting a finger kicked so it bent back across the back of his hand.

I 'm unsure whether the Freep attitude towards hurling would be some kind of Plastic Paddy Irish pride thing and snide comments about this is why the Brits lost Ireland, or whether it'd be "weird heathen Eurotrash sport, why don't they play a normal game with actual popularity like baseball?" Do Freepers hate lacrosse for being too preppie or too Injun, or like it for being America-born and violent? Or do they assume it's a girl- game like field hockey?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

When you're life is poo poo, it's consoling to think that you're still better than someone.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Lizzie Velasquez, Labeled ‘World’s Ugliest Woman,’ Becomes Motivational Speaker (Video)
:irony:

quote:

To: Responsibility2nd
The absolute seething self-loathing that must rage inside someone to make such hurtful comments about another human being is disgusting. I hope that those who chose to deride this gal based on her involuntary condition suffer fates exponentially worse than she.

8 posted on 1/10/2014 9:54:43 AM by EnigmaticAnomaly ("Nothing does more damage to the left than an honest election.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

I don't see ugly when I look at that picture. If I want to see ugly, I can look at Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Boehner, McConnell, etc.
11 posted on 1/10/2014 9:57:05 AM by liberalh8ter (The only difference between flash mob 'urban yutes' and U.S. politicians is the hoodies.)

quote:

The positive comments here are nice, from nice people. But time after time Freepers (usually men) mock women they consider to be ugly. And I don’t just mean the inner “ugliness” Hillarys, Michelles, Nancys. I mean simply outward appearance.

17 posted on 01/10/2014 8:08:09 AM PST by informavoracious (Root for Obamacare and healthcare.gov failure!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: informavoracious
You are correct. But oftentimes there is justification when these ugly women could and even should help things by dressing normally, losing weight, foregoing the tats and tramp stamps, stay off the welfare roles and police blotters, etc. etc.

Rachel Jeantel is a perfect example of an ugly woman who deserved scorn and laughter.

26 posted on 01/10/2014 8:22:52 AM PST by Responsibility2nd (NO LIBS. This Means Liberals and (L)libertarians! Same Thing. NO LIBS!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies ]

Deeply ugly on the inside or naturally repulsed by FReepers. You decide!

quote:

She's not the world's ugliest woman. She's just a woman who's had to live with a birth defect.
If you want to see the world's ugliest woman, I'll introduce you to my friend's ex-wife. Superficially cute, but deeply ugly inside.

29 posted on 1/10/2014 10:30:45 AM by PapaBear3625 (You don't notice it's a police state until the police come for you.)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Changing the rules to require face guard helmets was probably a good idea. I spent two seasons thinking "well, I guess the helmet is good just in case", and then took a vertical axe-chop to the face and was profoundly glad I had a faceguard.

It's rambunctious, but not ridiculous. There's no tackling, you can't deliberately hit someone with a stick or perpindiculalry slash another's stick, and it partially avoids huge pile-ups because the field is way bigger than a soccer field and you can slang the ball so far that people need to spread out a lot to cover the to field. If any unguarded guy gets a free second with the ball within 50m of the goal, he's just going to slam it way out and over the crossbar for an unblockable 1-pointer, so covering all men on your side is key. Plus there's no offsides in Irish sports, so the "forwards" are literally up chilling by the goal while folks are scrapping for the ball at midfield.

In several seasons of playing hurling, I've never had or seen any bad injuries in my local pickup league, whereas when we play Gaelic football (same basic game as hurling but with a volleyball and hands instead of baseball and stick) I've badly jacked tendons in y hand once and ankle once, and seen a few other bad injuries like ACL tear and one guy getting a finger kicked so it bent back across the back of his hand.

I 'm unsure whether the Freep attitude towards hurling would be some kind of Plastic Paddy Irish pride thing and snide comments about this is why the Brits lost Ireland, or whether it'd be "weird heathen Eurotrash sport, why don't they play a normal game with actual popularity like baseball?" Do Freepers hate lacrosse for being too preppie or too Injun, or like it for being America-born and violent? Or do they assume it's a girl- game like field hockey?

Sweet thanks for all the info, I was just basing my assessment on a few highlights someone showed me.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

StarPilot87 posted:

Instead they have things like the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup to crown "International Champions" of sports that most of the world doesn't care about.

NHL is an exception. Most of northern hemisphere cares about it and it is popular in Russia, Canada, nordic countries, baltic countries and some balkans.

This is also correlated by the amout of players that are outside of North America. In addition, most of the players play olympics and world cups in their nation teams and while both Americans and Canadians do well in those, it's often that Czech, Russians, Swedes or Fins top the rankings.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kik2dagroin posted:

The US has to actually beat everyone else in the world for them to give a poo poo.

That's why the World Series is the true sport of manliness. The USA wins every single time :smugdog:

:patriot:

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

VitalSigns posted:

That's why the World Series is the true sport of manliness. The USA wins every single time :smugdog:

Well, Canada did twice. :canada:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Except when the Blue Jays won two years running in 1992-93.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Georgia Peach posted:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hey, if you think I can't combine ignorance with jingoism in the freep thread, then have I got a lesson for you!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ouch. My childhood.

Joe Carter is a bad bad man.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Hey, if you think I can't combine ignorance with jingoism in the freep thread, then have I got a lesson for you!

Canada's just America's top hat, so you're still right!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

Canada's just America's top hat, so you're still right!

Are you sure Toronto isn't in Michigan?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Georgia Peach posted:

FALSE FLAG :freep:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
God, at least the GOP thread has food derails. Sports derails are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Wolfsheim posted:

God, at least the GOP thread has food derails. Sports derails are the worst.

You should hang out in the sports forums more, food derails are common. :v:

• Locked thread