Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Adrian Broner, a man many believed was the heir to Mayweather's throne, became the latest pugilist to publicly state their desire to fight at the historic event.

And the Cincinnati native, who locks horns with WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia on July 29, has set his sights on doing battle with Diaz, the first fighter in UFC history to defeat McGregor.

Do it please Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

#6: Seismic activity can strike at any time.

We all know that Vegas is near enough to the San Andreas fault to where, if the Big One were ever to occur, surely some of the force of the aftershock would be felt as far away as Nevada. Now, Mayweather is renowned for his footwork and crafty movement, but supposing such an earthquake were to hit right as the fight was taking place. At that moment, who's to say Mayweather might not lose his footing, and fall face first into a Conor McGregor right hand? At that point it would be an early night for Mayweather. I'm not saying this event is likely, but it's certainly a factor to keep in mind for the fight, and one that any savvy bettor will take into account going into August 26th.

#7: McGregor's fans are very loud.

Consider the deafening roar of eighty million Irishmen in one room. What man, all-time-great boxer or not, wouldn't be intimidated and thrown off his mental game by such a ruckus? Everyone knows that 90% of outside boxing depends on having a stable balance, but that delicate balance could be thrown off by crowds of passionate McGregor fans assaulting Mayweather's inner ear. Conor McGregor, of course, is well used to the incredible din of his fans, and has even used it to great effect in his MMA career. They don't call him "Holy Noise God" for nothing. Speaking of...

#8: Floyd is a sinner who has divine retribution coming.

Let's face it: God exists. He's a wrathful God. And He does not appreciate men who abuse women, in any way shape or fashion. There can be no doubt in anyone's mind that Floyd Mayweather is on His naughty list, but if that's the case then why wait so long to provide holy punishment against the arrogant Floyd? The answer is simple: God is making sure Floyd Mayweather faces the biggest fall possible. After all, what could possibly be a worse fate than making a nine-figure payday in a fight you then go on to publicly lose? It would be the end of Floyd Mayweather's career and a truly unjust man would finally get the ending to his career he deserves. If you don't think God could do it, just remind yourself of the very real possibility of earthquakes.

#9: North Korea tensions at an all time high.

If you've been following Floyd Mayweather for several decades, as I have, then you already know how important of an issue global stability is to the boxing superstar. Floyd Mayweather infamously retired back in 2007 in protest of George W. Bush's mishandling of the Iraq War and destabilization of the Middle East. With North Korean tensions higher than they've ever been, it's unquestionable that Mayweather will go into the fight preoccupied and distracted. Conor McGregor meanwhile thrives on international conflict, and has even said numerous times that thinking about war makes him better at punching.

#10. McGregor could bring a gun.

Hear me out on this one. Yes, this fight is sanctioned according to boxing rules. Yes, McGregor will surely be checked several times over by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for any signs of an unfair competitive advantage. And yes, it would be terribly unsportsmanlike for McGregor to bring a loaded weapon to a sporting event. But, and this is some real talk here folks, this is a fight more than anything else, and in a fight you do whatever you need to do to win. Just last week a notable boxer won his fight with an illegal punch that was missed by the referee. McGregor would be well-advised to take lessons of that fight, and devise a game plan where he can get off an illegal bullet without the ref catching him.

post of the year

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
That post is perfect for boxing fans, its extremely long and uninteresting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

There's only 5 rounds, so you'd think the mma guys would get something out of it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

George Foreman says good boxing is just like ninth layers posting; the better it is the fewer people understand it.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Intellectual but he likes to watch boxing though

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Intellectual [watching two boxers hug for three minutes then walk around each other and then hug again]: Wow it's like ballet

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"boxing has too much wrestling, which is boring"
-mma fans for some reason????

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Now That's What I Call Boxing

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Boxing owns

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I can't describe how little I think of someone who would willingly describe themselves as a "boxing fan"."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this will all be settled in the ring, august 26

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't describe how little I think of someone who would willingly describe themselves as a "boxing fan"."

I agree. They should rename the sport to Boring.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Boxing is good
Like eating food
Masturbating
and watching a man get punched in the dick

It's not as good as doing those three things at the same time though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Looks like Badou Jack and Gervonta Davis will be on the undercard, fighting Nathan Cleverly and Tevin Farmer respectively. These guys are both promoted by Mayweather so this this isn't too surprising, but these are both pretty decent fights that will hopefully bring some exposure to rising fighters.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
I hope McGregor wears one those newsie style hats in the lead up

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jay z's sedan posted:

I hope McGregor wears one those newsie style hats in the lead up

maybe pegs Mayweather Sr with a potato and cuts a promo on child exploitation

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Looks like Badou Jack and Gervonta Davis will be on the undercard, fighting Nathan Cleverly and Tevin Farmer respectively. These guys are both promoted by Mayweather so this this isn't too surprising, but these are both pretty decent fights that will hopefully bring some exposure to rising fighters.

Cool yeah I'll be sure and watch Barto Jack and Tevia The Farmer fight a 19 round barn burner where one of them almost gets hurt but then doesn't. At least they'll be paid what they're worth, which is to say nothing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I know this is just a thread for laughs, but both of those are solid fights.

Gervonta Davis is Mayweather's prodigy, and just captured two titles with quick knockouts. He's got serious star potential and is worth keeping an eye on.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
No barefoot white guys with tribal tats rolling on the ground? Not interested.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyone know mcgregor irl ? i bet all of the money i own on him winning so i want him to read this ancient scroll containing the mystic arts of the orient http://i.imgur.com/2I35cgZ.jpg

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

anyone know mcgregor irl ? i bet all of the money i own on him winning so i want him to read this ancient scroll containing the mystic arts of the orient http://i.imgur.com/2I35cgZ.jpg

i do

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVmy4jaBfww/

Floyd never had a chance

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ido is back baby

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Touchbutt in the park, card punch in the gym.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

"Ah" has nothing on "AISH!" If conor learns that there is no man alive that could survive his wrath

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Now playing: Bruce Springsteen - Touchbutt in the Park

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This gun's for hire

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Well everything gets touched baby and that's a fact / but maybe we'll touch everything on its back / put your little shorts on and your man bun up pretty / tonight we're touching butts in a park in the city (park in the city)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

that reminds me of that scene in enter the dragon. playing cards ...... dont fight back

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

montage of mcgregor punching cards thrown by a magician in his high tech gym cuts to the montage of mayweather training on the mean streets by punching pigeons

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I saw a rocky analogy earlier... Would Conor be Clubber Lang, and Floyd be Rocky?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Floyd is whoever Gabriel Rosado played in Creed and Conor is the "Happy Birthday Paulie" robot from Rocky 4.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

The SituAsian posted:

Floyd is whoever Gabriel Rosado played in Creed and Conor is the "Happy Birthday Paulie" robot from Rocky 4.

yes, conor is the best part of this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

montage of mcgregor punching cards thrown by a magician in his high tech gym cuts to the montage of mayweather training on the mean streets by punching pigeons

Sporty Thievz making a comeback

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a deeply cynical event that was meticulously orchestrated by a handful of greedy capitalists for the sole purpose of lining their own pockets, knowing full well the deep dissatisfaction every fan will have after the final bell rings and the profound long-term damage they could do to their respective sports. It does nothing beneficial for anything or anyone but them. It's playing to people's baser instincts with insider knowledge, the knowledge that we just can't help ourselves. We've seen this game countless times before. We know it's rigged against us, but we keep playing it anyway.

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably buy it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Any of you boxing posters Irish? I need you to post some Irish boxers who speak better or worse Irish Gaelic than Conor's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMGkw52-Lo

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:lol:

What Dana conveniently leaves out (or perhaps doesn't know) is that there's a lot of dumb money coming in for Conor, so the odds are depressed to even the money out.

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/878090116157374464

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you're right but i'm sure he knows about how lines work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
More and more this event strikes me as a cynical fixed fight put together to help both sports' overall popularity. McGregor's actual boxing skills are so poor compared to Floyd's that I can't see how this is really going to be a straight fight. Floyd either carries Connor for much longer than he has a right to last, or Floyd somehow finds a way to lose to set up a rematch.

• Locked thread