Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I went with my heart and am Tyrion but the other smug elfs mostly hate me even though I killed the not-empire-secesh dark elves. Am I supposed to to just go kill them and take their poo poo? That doesn't seem elfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Woo I fit in about an hour of playtime before work this morning, now the wait for more will be painful.

I chose Dark Elfs as my starting faction since Malekith is a boss. Darkshards rock for T1 archers - armor-piercing and a sweet upkeep reduction from Malekith, fantastic for murdering leaders. The Reaper field artillery is great for wiping out the Skaven the game starts you pitted against, especially in burst mode. Cold One cavalry are effective and no-frills but they're so loving cool. I'm taking it easy on normal until I learn the factions and the map but so far Delfs seme pretty powerful.

Love that Naggarond is basically in the Warhams equivalent of Canada.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went with my heart and am Tyrion but the other smug elfs mostly hate me even though I killed the not-empire-secesh dark elves. Am I supposed to to just go kill them and take their poo poo? That doesn't seem elfy.

If they want to put their petty squabbles above the safety of the world, go knock their heads together until you can browbeat them into confederating

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So many quality of life improvements in terms of interface tooltips, more clarity on what traits do and how they're gained, etc. I really hope a decent amount of that stuff is backported to TW1 or at least present for the TW1 factions when they're played in the big campaign in TW2. I'd imagine the latter'd be absolutely true, but I can dream on the former.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How high are these elves exactly

Why isn't this in the op??????

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

So many quality of life improvements in terms of interface tooltips, more clarity on what traits do and how they're gained, etc. I really hope a decent amount of that stuff is backported to TW1 or at least present for the TW1 factions when they're played in the big campaign in TW2. I'd imagine the latter'd be absolutely true, but I can dream on the former.

It's like I already have a dozen mods running, most of the things my mods did were added to the game.

I would really like to see the old factions ported into warhammer 2 as playable with all the quality of life improvements, expendable trait that actually works for zombies and goblins would be amazing.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ammanas posted:

How do you aim spells?

Hold the left mouse button

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I find it aggravating there's no naval battles. Auto resolve seems really skewed against Skaven and it is easy for a high elf stack to dart in and ruin your day. 09 dub c

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Use influence to befriend them, maybe?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, gently caress. The High Elves had just started their second ritual a little ahead of me and I had no army nearby, so I figured I'd slam one of those intervention armies into their face. I paid the full 10k and in return saw a massive doomstack pop up right next to their surprisingly unguarded ritual city. So I gleefully hit Next Turn and waited for the ritual to fail.

Except it didn't. Neither did it the next turn. Nor the one after that. When I finally thought to check, I saw what was keeping them: A single garbage Chaos 6-unit stack had gotten there first and was fruitlessly besieging the city. So my intervention force was stuck standing there with their thumbs up their arse and couldn't do much more than raze a random nearby minor settlement. After five or so turns the chaos guys finally attacked, and were unsurprisingly completely murdered. And of course that had been plenty of time for the high elves to bring down two stacks of their own and kill my intervention force. :negative:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Panfilo posted:

I find it aggravating there's no naval battles. Auto resolve seems really skewed against Skaven and it is easy for a high elf stack to dart in and ruin your day. 09 dub c

Yeah I really wondered how this would play out with a huge ocean map...sucks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Post on reddit says even if the AI wins the ritual race, it still have to beat you in a quest battle but you have the 2 other AI helping you. This true?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How much attention do I need to pay to the ritual race? I got a bit behind and am trying to get everything up and running, should I be taking whacks at the other rituals?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of my oldbloods is named Klo'aca. :v:

My only complaint so far is that they've somehow made the diplomacy menu more clunky. Other than that, everything has been fantastic and lizardmen are everything I wanted them to be.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

How much attention do I need to pay to the ritual race? I got a bit behind and am trying to get everything up and running, should I be taking whacks at the other rituals?

In theory, it's the whole victory condition, so a lot. In practice I am told there is a super easy final battle you can fight if someone beats you to the end, so....

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Playable Mung when?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Stegadons ploughing into infantry will never get old.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Any idea when the Workshop's gonna be up and running? I'm a big baby who hates playing if they don't have their extra-skillpoints mod installed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It strikes me as though the Lizardmen are basically what would happen if dwarves were fun. You've got similar tough, uncrackable line infantry, but you don't give up things like cavalry and fast attackers for it. Your ranged attack options aren't as good, but instead you are more capable as an offensive force and can really bring a fight, and you are smart enough to strap a siege engine on a dinosaur instead of footslogging it like a bunch of stunty chumps.

I guess it helps that lizardmen aren't stuck in the same sort of badlands shithole punching orcs forever and ever. Though as Krok-Gar you do get to see that in microcosm in that mountain pass above your start.

Edit: It seems like the not-khremi vampires expand super quick. Are there a lot of empty ruins in the northern areas of the southlands or do they just kind of ball out of control regardless?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 28, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Stegadons ploughing into infantry will never get old.

Right? It's *delicious*. And I'm not just talking about the Lizardmen dining on the rats post battle. Although I am also talking about that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Post on reddit says even if the AI wins the ritual race, it still have to beat you in a quest battle but you have the 2 other AI helping you. This true?

You can totally ignore the ritual and never have to deal with Chaos bullshit spawned from thin air (again).
Dunno the specifics of the battle you get as 'punishment', reports range from easy to meh.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Helion posted:

Right? It's *delicious*. And I'm not just talking about the Lizardmen dining on the rats post battle. Although I am also talking about that.

For me, it's all about summoning a bunch of clan rats to tie up a unit and then watching the Rat Ogres send everyone flying when they plow into them from the back. That will never get old. Adding Warpfire to the mix when I get a chance to play again tomorrow (TOMORROW!) will only make the experience sweeter.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Not sure if its a feature or a bug but skaven units will pretty frequently just stop. Had to order slingers to move up three times, one of the units would just stop.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A lot of people are melting down on the comment section because the Elfs are geting their asses beat, which just makes this video sweeter.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man rogue armies are no joke. I was exterminating some ruins near me, with my army built for early rat killing (i.e. no anti-large) when a stack spawns in the middle of my home province with some saurus warriors, two kroxigor units, three dragon ogre units, and a freakin shaggoth

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Hmm, so did they rework it to lessen the value of hordes? I figured rats would actually come out on top of that.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
My skaven VH campaign got off to a flying start, made tentative friends with the lizards north of me and wiped out the Helves you start at war with. Then Kroq-gar wardecced me, invited a really strong nearby Helf faction to join and that Helf faction then invited the lizards I'd made friends with to join as well. It's kind of rough going because my economy is not where I need it to be to field two even half-decent stacks and I'm only barely surviving by doing ambushes and abusing the ability to summon clanrats. On the upside the constant invasions I'm beating back is giving me all the meat I can eat on top of a decent supply of money and items but I'm going to have to turn this around soon because I'm falling way behind on rituals.

e: regarding skaven autoresolve, it seems incredibly harsh indeed, had a few battles where in the power balance I only had a sliver and yet came out fine when fighting it out manually

Martout fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 28, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Not sure if its a feature or a bug but skaven units will pretty frequently just stop. Had to order slingers to move up three times, one of the units would just stop.

This has happened in every battle as Skaven i've played. Units simply stop moving.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Seems safe to assume skaven will be buffed

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Is that Korhil with the axe, is he in the game at the moment?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah this is pretty lore appropriate tbh. as Tyrion, you are not the Phoenix King. you are a general the Phoenix King kind of likes, and a general the Phoenix King's wife REALLY likes, wink wink, in charge of the garrison-kingdom Lothern. when you try telling the king of Saphery what to do, the repugnant little nerd tells you "that's nice, you can gently caress off now."

well, that's a lie, he says "your counsel is most appreciated, lord tyrion, and we will take efforts to bring your vision to pass," but he says it in his king-addressing-courtier voice instead of his king-meeting-an-equal voice, so the same message is communicated.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I like that they made 'expendable' an actual unit trait now. Other units don't care if they get massacred, unless those other units are also 'expendable'. This presents a weird problem.

I would've figured the trivial upkeep costs of Skavenslaves would encourage you to bring stacks of primarily slaves, since they could just wear down stronger units through weight of numbers. But since fellow units of slaves will be affected by the ld malus, they'll all just mass route. This means you're probably only going to want a few of them in your army, which kind of defeats the point of such a unit.

Worse, Queeks discount on Clan Rats makes their upkeep almost as cheap as Skavenslaves anyway, so with him it seems like it's not even worth it since for a tiny bit more upkeep you have a unit that is not necessarily good but considerably less crappy.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010

Its really fun to siege the Skaven as the lizards. They stand no chance on the walls and then you murder them as they try and fight you in the street, your big angry dinosaurs slowly walk forward killing any pesky rats they can find!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ammanas posted:

This has happened in every battle as Skaven i've played. Units simply stop moving.

Yeah, I've noticed units I use as pursuers (Runners, Rat Ogres) would disengage even though they don't have guard mode on. Assumed it was enemy units walking into tree cover but nah.

Panfilo posted:

This reaaaaally sucks against the Elf faction you're at war against as Queek because you can't negotiate with them at all and their likely to be last settlement is sitting in the middle of the ocean. Good luck even getting a stack over there without it getting hosed in auto-resolve by an Elven fleet. Instead you have to deal with an omni-present threat to your coastal settlements, divert precious military forces from the probable fight against Kroq'gar, or hope a Dark Elf faction fucks them up instead.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
OOOOOH MAN I figured out what the weird Phoenix ability does now and that's metal as gently caress. Wtf I love high elves now????

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Which Phoenix?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are intervention armies useless or something? I've sent two 10k stacks at the skaven and dark elves and they just die immediately. Wish I'd known that before I wasted 20k on them. This is just the first ritual and I'm only on Hard.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I like that they made 'expendable' an actual unit trait now. Other units don't care if they get massacred, unless those other units are also 'expendable'. This presents a weird problem.

I would've figured the trivial upkeep costs of Skavenslaves would encourage you to bring stacks of primarily slaves, since they could just wear down stronger units through weight of numbers. But since fellow units of slaves will be affected by the ld malus, they'll all just mass route. This means you're probably only going to want a few of them in your army, which kind of defeats the point of such a unit.

Worse, Queeks discount on Clan Rats makes their upkeep almost as cheap as Skavenslaves anyway, so with him it seems like it's not even worth it since for a tiny bit more upkeep you have a unit that is not necessarily good but considerably less crappy.

You bring like 5 or 6 slaves just to occupy people long enough for fatigue to start

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Panfilo posted:

IIRC even though Skaven have low leadership, they also rally faster and more consistently than any other race unless completely shattered. This can actually work to your advantage if your front line slaves break. If they chase the routing slaves you can run in and flank them with your non-routing poo poo and when the slaves rally they have a mini hammer-and-anvil attack that they can't really defend against because they scattered their poo poo to chase yours. If they don't chase the slaves and go after your next line of infantry, when the slaves rally you just bring them in behind and flank the poo poo out of the enemy. They won't do much damage but you'll get some leadership penalties that way.

Skaven is kind of interesting because they are everything that Skasnik and un-red-lined goblins in game 1 were except with both the advantages and flaws cranked all the way up to 11. Is the Skaven red line worthwhile at all? What sort of troop buffs to they get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Safety Factor posted:

Are intervention armies useless or something? I've sent two 10k stacks at the skaven and dark elves and they just die immediately. Wish I'd known that before I wasted 20k on them. This is just the first ritual and I'm only on Hard.

I think it's been mentioned that if Chaos beats you to sieging the settlement they originally targetted they sit around with a thumb up their rear end and get ganked by a 2-3 stack enemy clusterfuck.