Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mercrom posted:

The Epstein stuff is just about the rich and powerful being able to do whatever they want to the poor and helpless.

Wait, is epstein the poor and helpless that got murdered in this or like, is he the powerful and rich that got literally murdered for being caught hurting the poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wait, is epstein the poor and helpless that got murdered in this or like, is he the powerful and rich that got literally murdered for being caught hurting the poor?

He got killed for potentially threatening people more rich and powerful than himself, ya dumdum.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Holy gently caress you guys are insufferable.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

He got killed for potentially threatening people more rich and powerful than himself, ya dumdum.

Presumably the women and victims that put Epstein in jail pose a much greater threat. There's no particular reason to think Epstein would cooperate with the investigation in the first place.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Mercrom posted:

I don't see what's "funny" about it. Russiagate and the Epstein stuff has very little in common. Conservative liberals want one to be true and not the other. Same but inverted for the c-spam communists. They reaffirm two completely different world views. Russiagate involves no power dynamics, and it blames the un-meritocratic success of Trump and his crony capitalist friends on foreign influence. The Epstein stuff is just about the rich and powerful being able to do whatever they want to the poor and helpless.

What I think is funny is that I was repeatedly told by a number of different posters that the investigations into Trump and his campaign was going to facilitate a much larger national conversation about elite corruption and entanglements with foreign intelligence agencies. I argued that Russiagate would have the opposite effect and actually obfuscate those conversations. Now we have a scandal that really does implicate many high level politicians and public figures in some kind of blackmail or entrapment scheme that appears to involve foreign and or domestic intelligence services and yet some of the same posters who were utterly convinced that Trump was actively colluding with Putin have rediscovered the merits of skepticism. Meanwhile, more than a few media personalities are already trying to obscure the nature of this scandal by.... saying it must be a Russian op!

(Also, saying that "Russiagate involves no power dynamics" is a bizarre statement that makes me think you must have some very specific or narrow idea of what constitutes a 'power dynamic')

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Owling Howl posted:

Presumably the women and victims that put Epstein in jail pose a much greater threat. There's no particular reason to think Epstein would cooperate with the investigation in the first place.

Are you somehow unfamiliar with the multiple sources who have come forward to describe how Epstein used secret cameras to amass an extensive trove of blackmail material on powerful people?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owling Howl posted:

Even if we assume that this is true, with Epstein being arrested we had a situation where a lot of very rich and powerful motherfuckers suddenly had a whole lot to lose, and that particular demographic hasn't exactly been known for cold hyperrationality when they feel threatened.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Helsing posted:

Are you somehow unfamiliar with the multiple sources who have come forward to describe how Epstein used secret cameras to amass an extensive trove of blackmail material on powerful people?

have you heard of the multiple sources attesting to a piss tape?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Grevling posted:

Holy gently caress you guys are insufferable.

First time reading OOCC posts huh? Been there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hahahaha ohmygod

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Helsing posted:

(Also, saying that "Russiagate involves no power dynamics" is a bizarre statement that makes me think you must have some very specific or narrow idea of what constitutes a 'power dynamic')

I don't understand what you mean by it either. I mean that the central conflict of Russiagate is between two powerful states. Secondarily it's between powerful politicians. I haven't heard a version of the conspiracy theory where Putin controls the entire US government.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The piss tape's hypothetical existence is based on vague rumors and hearsay and originated in a dossier of oppo research put together by someone hired to destroy Trump. The Epstein blackmail tapes existence is supported by journalist interviews with Ghislane Maxwell as well as affidavits from multiple Epstein victims and actual police reports from raids on his properties. The fact you'd casually equate these things just emphasizes how out of your depth you are.

Mercrom posted:

I don't understand what you mean by it either. I mean that the central conflict of Russiagate is between two powerful states. Secondarily it's between powerful politicians. I haven't heard a version of the conspiracy theory where Putin controls the entire US government.

Russiagate has been a conflicts between a heterogeneous set of players so of course power dynamics were involved. Questions like whether a sitting President can be indicted were literally central to the investigation, and the entire scandal happened in the shadow of a war between various forms of media trying to shape the future of their industry.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Helsing posted:

the entire scandal happened in the shadow of a war between various forms of media trying to shape the future of their industry.

thats a good way of putting it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hello, which one of the many fine people recorded as having totally innocent fun times with Jeffrey at his family friendly island are you?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Helsing posted:

Russiagate has been a conflicts between a heterogeneous set of players so of course power dynamics were involved. Questions like whether a sitting President can be indicted were literally central to the investigation, and the entire scandal happened in the shadow of a war between various forms of media trying to shape the future of their industry.
Yeah ok I guess I phrased it incorrectly. By power dynamics I meant less how chess has pawns and more like how in chess white starts first.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Perry Mason Jar posted:

First time reading OOCC posts huh? Been there.

OOCC and RussiaGate truthers in general have become irrevocable victims of hypernormalisation guys. It’s not worth it.

Helsing posted:

What's really funny is that the same crew of posters who kept insisting that the Russiagate investigation would totally facilitate a larger discussion about elite corruption and entanglement with foreign intelligence agencies are suddenly extremely eager to downplay one of the most explosive scandals in American history, a scandal that actually does threaten to blow the lid off some of the kinds of actions that the Russiagaters were supposedly hyper concerned and vigilant about.

It certainly raises questions about priorities. Even if Epstein was merely allowed to kill himself - either intentionally or out of institutional incompetence - that would be almost incidental to the larger scandal that - big surprise - they have no real interest in.

The denialism is insane with these people.

There’s literal evidence of a goddamn pedophile rape island for the elite hardwired with video and audio equipment in it. Then there’s the black book. The Igor stuff. The broken neck bones typically found in homicide strangulation. The non-guard working the night Epstein died. The big loving murdercop in the prison. The court depositions/documents from the victims about Epstein and his network. Epstein loving an underage girl in the goddamn prison right before he died. The 4chan post from the prison. Epstein getting off essentially Scott free a decade ago.

No guys, Epstein killed himself because prison sucks. He was a lone predator. -liberals/MSM

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

What's really funny is that the same crew of posters who kept insisting that the Russiagate investigation would totally facilitate a larger discussion about elite corruption and entanglement with foreign intelligence agencies are suddenly extremely eager to downplay one of the most explosive scandals in American history, a scandal that actually does threaten to blow the lid off some of the kinds of actions that the Russiagaters were supposedly hyper concerned and vigilant about.

It certainly raises questions about priorities. Even if Epstein was merely allowed to kill himself - either intentionally or out of institutional incompetence - that would be almost incidental to the larger scandal that - big surprise - they have no real interest in.

I would have a greater chill about it if the dividing lines were not so ruler loving straight. The demographics aren't 100% exact, but they're much closer than they're far apart and the transparency of the bullshit is infuriating.

After a suspicious cell transfer and during a camera malfunction he had no way of knowing it was going on, a guy with information that could bring down 400 of the fortune 500 and considerable Mossad connections (and presumably CIA connections foremost) tied a length of something we don't know what it is to a doorknob that doesn't exist in SHU units and sat down so hard he broke his neck in three places. Also trust the exact three-letter agencies tangential to this event when they say the parts they redacted out of the Mueller report are the really big proof of Russian interference and we need to get really excited about it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think our intelligence agencies want his honeypot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There may or may not be a pisstape, but Hope Hicks talking about the piss tape now is a lie. I haven't see this debunked yet and goddamn everything.

https://twitter.com/soychicka/status/1151885738738356224?s=20

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

Conspiracy Theories About Jeffrey Epstein’s Suicide Harm Kids

Conspiracy theories about Jeffrey Epstein's suicide are everywhere — and they're damaging to kids' perceptions of truth, authority, and democracy.

By Patrick A. Coleman Aug 12 2019, 2:27 PM

his weekend President Donald Trump promoted a video created by conservative comedian Terrence Williams claiming that the Clintons orchestrated Jeffery Epstein’s prison death. The President, who is no stranger to promoting conspiracy theories, pushed the video to his official Twitter feed in spite of Epstein’s death being confirmed as a suicide by his very own Justice Department. Did he mean it? Probably not. But the harm is still done. What Trump and the “Clinton Body Count” crowd fail to grasp is that conspiracy theories are deeply toxic to families and can have long-lasting detrimental effects on children. They spread a distrust of malignant government and authority that can undermine democracy and even lead to violent ideological extremism.

The theory that conspiracies can harm kids is not, itself, a conspiracy. In fact, it’s based on core principle of the science of parenting: Children look to adults to fulfill developmental needs. Adults help kids understand the world and their place in it. Adults also provide security and stability. When adults are loose with the facts or bend them to their will — like when they espouse conspiracy theories — these developmental needs are destabilized. Kids can’t decipher fact from fiction like an adult. Their world is instead upended.

When adults become conspiratorial, they sow distrust on the government in children. Worse yet, conspiracies can cause children to feel as if they are actively threatened by powerful people, upending a sense of stability. When a conspiracy causes a trusted adult to become paranoid, that sense of instability becomes more acute and result in depression and anxiety. In undermining a child’s mental health, conspiracies can set kids up for poor outcomes later in life. In the worst cases, depression, anxiety, and fear of government and powerful people can lead what sociologist Michael Kimmel calls “aggrieved entitlement” — a powerful sense of humiliation that you are entitled to something that has been denied you. Kimmel has found this state of mind in far-right violent extremists and mass shooters.

Trump, of course, is no stranger to conspiracy theories. He’s championed such intrigues as Senator Ted Cruz’s being complicit in the JFK assassination and “Birtherism”, which attacked Obama’s citizenship. And while many of Trump’s supporters are also conspiratorial minded, Jeffery Epstein’s death has revealed a vein of conspiracy on the left as well. There are plenty of liberal-minded individuals floating the idea that President Trump himself had a hand in silencing his old pal Epstein to protect himself from being implicated in child trafficking and child rape scandal.

Framing the President of the United States as a secretive killer covering up his dastardly deeds with children is a deeply toxic idea. A child who hears these conspiracies and internalizes them could develop a deep mistrust of political leaders that could poison their faith in democracy. And when enough people lose faith in democracy, then the country becomes destabilized.

Of course, that’s the whole point of conspiracy theories. And that is exactly why Russia has weaponized them through social media. The more they spread, the less secure we become.

That makes pushing the Epstein conspiracy theories, either from the right or left, deeply dangerous. On an individual level, it can erode the sense of stability in our children and ultimately their mental health. But on a larger level, it could erode the foundations of our country.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Good article!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh no the kids might question authority this is terrible

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Epstein trained for years to be able to kneel with enough force to shatter multiple bones in his neck

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQUlr4Xc3s&t=6s

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Willie Tomg posted:

I would have a greater chill about it if the dividing lines were not so ruler loving straight. The demographics aren't 100% exact, but they're much closer than they're far apart and the transparency of the bullshit is infuriating.

After a suspicious cell transfer and during a camera malfunction he had no way of knowing it was going on, a guy with information that could bring down 400 of the fortune 500 and considerable Mossad connections (and presumably CIA connections foremost) tied a length of something we don't know what it is to a doorknob that doesn't exist in SHU units and sat down so hard he broke his neck in three places. Also trust the exact three-letter agencies tangential to this event when they say the parts they redacted out of the Mueller report are the really big proof of Russian interference and we need to get really excited about it.

Is it OK if we believe in Russiagate and Epstein murder? :ohdear:

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
be careful, there's this utterly insane conspiracy theory going around that jeffrey epstein committed suicide

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I've been thinking about this Epstein thing, largely along the same lines as Ice Phisherman's posts on it in USPOL and it raises some... possibilities:

This guy cultivated his honeypot on his own or it evoled out of things that create tribal identity amoung the rich to become a billionaire and it has fallen apart and he has committed suicide (or one of the marks offed him.)

This guy cultivated his honeypot on his own to become a billionaire or it evoled out of things that create tribal identity amoung the rich and a state actor is taking advantage of his demise (or caused it) to snag it.

This guy cultivated his honeypot with the help of a state and a state actor (the same or another state) is taking advantage of his demise (or caused it) snag it.

When I think, well who has it now? I mean all we've gotten in the new is leaked names, plane manifests, etc. Who has the hard stuff the things like images, video, etc. I mean a Billionaire isn't going to give power of attorney to a blackmailer over a name appearing on a loving flight manifest. Given that it's the FBI that searched his homes and it's been reported they found large numbers of images (though the news only reports images of the victims), I'd assume the US has it all now?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1163112167421468673?s=21

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is a difference between conservative political romantism and revolutionary political romantism even if they work together and are both loving terrible.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh gently caress off Glenn.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol at the idea of lecturing Glenn Greenwald, who is actually, materially, threatened by a bona fide Nazi dictatorship for uncovering its crimes, about fighting fascism.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I will never get the huge boner for the libertarian.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

he's really good at getting people to talk about him. in this case that take is just terrible though, one of the worst tweets ive ever seen

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

I will never get the huge boner for the libertarian.

He hasn't been a libertarian for many years now.

Stuff like this kinda reinforces my perception that 90% of the bizarre hate boner people have for that guy is due to people going off some vague baseless perception that he's a right-winger*. It's always been obvious that the real source for the negative sentiment is that he pushes back against the US government and security state, and all the other criticism people levy at him (which is generally a mix of valid and dumb things) is just dug up to justify that initial negative reaction. Since any remotely honest look at the guy comes out with him looking better than the vast majority of other media figures who don't receive a fraction of the same negative attention, it's obvious that this isn't just some organic thing.

* the kind of amusing thing about this is that these people seem to be looking at literally the only good thing in libertarian ideology (reflexive distrust and skepticism towards the US security state and foreign policy) and using that association to tar those opinions as somehow being right-wing

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's a complete non sequitur response to people protesting fash in their communities though. it really comes off like he has no idea what he's talking about

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

Stuff like this kinda reinforces my perception that 90% of the bizarre hate boner people have for that guy is due to people going off some vague baseless perception that he's a right-winger*.

Why would people who think that someone who appears as a fairly regular guest on the show of noted fascist Tucker Carlson might be right winger indeed.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Stuff like this kinda reinforces my perception that 90% of the bizarre hate boner people have for that guy is due to people going off some vague baseless perception that he's a right-winger*. It's always been obvious that the real source for the negative sentiment is that he pushes back against the US government and security state, and all the other criticism people levy at him (which is generally a mix of valid and dumb things) is just dug up to justify that initial negative reaction. Since any remotely honest look at the guy comes out with him looking better than the vast majority of other media figures who don't receive a fraction of the same negative attention, it's obvious that this isn't just some organic thing.

* the kind of amusing thing about this is that these people seem to be looking at literally the only good thing in libertarian ideology (reflexive distrust and skepticism towards the US security state and foreign policy) and using that association to tar those opinions as somehow being right-wing

I don't think that's it. I think it's the fact that he's a journalist who defends free speech ideologically, which has become right-wing thing because everything political has to be binary. He's kind of like Sam Harris who took up the now right-wing pet cause of criticizing religion and now surrounds himself with fascists partly because people like Glenn Greenwald on the left keep saying he's advocating nuclear genocide of the middle east.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Zas posted:

it's a complete non sequitur response to people protesting fash in their communities though. it really comes off like he has no idea what he's talking about

Based on listening to Greenwald a little bit recently, he's talked about how Bolsanaro won in Brazil because people (including many of Greenwald's own gay/poor/brown friends) were so disillusioned by the reigning neoliberal order that in their desperation they turned to the one guy who was promising Change.

I can't speak to how accurate that is for the Brazilian situation, but I think it's pretty clear he's extending that view to the USA--that the Nazi Chuds are just the inevitable, and perhaps genuinely desperate and downtrodden, fruit of the evil soil of neoliberalism. I think that's a pretty blinkered view in a lot of ways; for the most part Trump's people are the same old middle class GOP assholes who voted for Romney and Bush. And I wouldn't call those racist scumbags the "least powerful" constituency; they're all part of the same system that's, you know, putting people in concentration camps.

In any event I can hardly blame someone for getting more worked up over the dudes talking about wanting to murder them than Google having contracts with the DOD or whatever the gently caress Glenn's on about. Greenwald's major problem from what I can tell is he has no real broader political philosophy so he just kind of goes off on his particular bugbears; those bugbears are valid targets but his dumb rear end contrarianism causes him to then dismiss anything he's not currently mad at.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Why would people who think that someone who appears as a fairly regular guest on the show of noted fascist Tucker Carlson might be right winger indeed.

Well of course it would be too easy to go after a target like Tucker Carlson,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VitalSigns posted:

Well of course it would be too easy to go after a target like Tucker Carlson,

Yeah, Glenn will never actually poo poo on a fellow rich media personality. He's not really fighting Bolsonaro in any real sense in any case, he just whines from his ivory tower, similar to the #resistance because bourgeois 'journalism' is a waste of time.