Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

or just fart-hotbox ourselves to death with 69,000,000,0000 machines i guess lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

"... until eventually it's your camera doing the recording."

I am never installing TikTok and you can't make me :colbert:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rah! posted:

it's the only way

we have to blow up the earth's core

send this idea to elon and maybe he will do it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wouldn't imploding the core be better? Can we like, drill a hole down there and create a megahypercano that makes a funny fart sound and deflates the whole thing? It seems more appropriate.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hey Bernie, we fixed it

crack ping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EBBqbeqIM

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
just realized rime named this thread as such to help stop posting in the dnd climate change thread

lol but also lmao because its stopped me from posting there once now already

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Minrad posted:

just realized rime named this thread as such to help stop posting in the dnd climate change thread

lol but also lmao because its stopped me from posting there once now already

Just in time. Now they are slowly discovering their tree planting search engine is a total fraud, and if switching email hosts from Gmail to punish Alphabet for their climate crimes will be impactful? Also really excited to see how this "should energy be put into raising the awareness on the amount of almond flower in keto products to gym bros? It's at least a way to move the needle" thing turns out.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

Just in time. Now they are slowly discovering their tree planting search engine is a total fraud, and if switching email hosts from Gmail to punish Alphabet for their climate crimes will be impactful? Also really excited to see how this "should energy be put into raising the awareness on the amount of almond flower in keto products to gym bros? It's at least a way to move the needle" thing turns out.

They just dont want to admit they arent willing to change their lifestyles one bit, at least they could have the intellectual honesty to own it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Video game vet is the only serious person in that thread and he should really migrate over here.

Dude even takes cold showers to reduce his footprint. Absolute mad lad. (yes foot print is bs but dude owns it lol)

Everyone else is just a loving poo poo bird unwilling to change any aspect of their lives but won't just own it.

It's too late for incremental change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One paddle is Vote!

Other paddle is Do Something Yourself

Dnd are the pingpong ball

The table meanwhile is sinking into the ground

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i got some bamboo straws. not like paper but just actual straws made of hollowed bamboo.

they're pretty nice. they haven't stained despite using em for juice and smoothies plenty. as far as i can tell them causing soda to fizz and explode like a menthos is some plastic industry bullshit.

more things should be made out of bamboo imo. i have a 7 year old set of bamboo utensils i cook with that haven't stained or broken at all, despite being used for plenty of tomato based dishes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

you want your loving magic carbon sequestration? buy a bamboo desk rear end in a top hat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is bamboo you can make useful poo poo out of harder to grow than the random crap old ladies often have in their yard?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

as i understand it the bamboo used for construction material is among the fastest and tallest growing types. one type, guadua, is native to central america and i think grows like a grass: that is, the more you cut it, the faster and thicker it grows back. (im sure there's plenty of bamboo used for construction in asian countries but obviously there's less english resources about those)

apparently there's also us laws against making buildings out of bamboo lmao. demon cracker nation

Minera has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Sep 20, 2021

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

drat im learning so much about bamboo now holy poo poo

gently caress plastic make everything from bamboo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Minrad posted:

drat im learning so much about bamboo now holy poo poo

gently caress plastic make everything from bamboo

my cutting board is made with bamboo I think

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

I can't believe it :magical:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

They just dont want to admit they arent willing to change their lifestyles one bit, at least they could have the intellectual honesty to own it.

I posted something there and somebody asked what happened to me being crack pinged and dissing Biden and I said c spam and Delta.

which is true. you folks are real ones.

feels like we’re all the musicians on the titanic towards the end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but we can CHOOSE to be the guy that bounces off the propeller, instead

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

don't be so dramatic, it's been like a week since there was a new flood or fire

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ladies and gentlemen, the democrats

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Our God King Joe Manchin, upon whom all fate is decided. Praise his name, lest he cast you into the flames

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

[Me in my ideal future career] In this paper, we will demonstrate that governments can still reach their Paris agreement goals if they mandate, effective immediately, that all citizens move into cities constructed of multi-storey log cabins, with transport provided by log-based pedal-powered carriages on rails

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i banged some pots and pans together to honor their service

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

brakeless posted:

[Me in my ideal future career] In this paper, we will demonstrate that governments can still reach their Paris agreement goals if they mandate, effective immediately, that all citizens move into cities constructed of multi-storey log cabins, with transport provided by log-based pedal-powered carriages on rails

brakeless et. al. demonstrated the viability of multi-story log cabins in their landmark paper[1]. in this work, we extend their concept to log domes

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

foreverial sequestered humanity, log domed permanently and enjoying it

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Has there been any "Climate doomerism is making millennials/Gen Z unproductive workers" articles yet? I'd like to start this morning with a good Walter White in the crawlspace laugh.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
I, as well, already regret bookmarking this thread. Watched the dome video and found myself just kinda going "Yep, sounds about right".

To contribute, for extra lols check out this 1,000 page report from the prestigious (no, really) Geological Survey of Finland on replacing existing fossil fuels as an energy source: https://tupa.gtk.fi/raportti/arkisto/42_2021.pdf

From the abstract:

Simon P. Michaux posted:

Current expectations are that global industrial businesses will replace a complex industrial energy ecosystem that
took more than a century to build. The current system was built with the support of the highest calorifically dense
source of energy the world has ever known (oil), in cheap abundant quantities, with easily available credit, and
seemingly unlimited mineral resources. The replacement needs to be done at a time when there is comparatively
very expensive energy, a fragile finance system saturated in debt, not enough minerals, and an unprecedented world
population, embedded in a deteriorating natural environment. Most challenging of all, this has to be done within a
few decades. It is the author’s opinion, based on the new calculations presented here, that this will likely not go fully
to as planned.

In conclusion, this report suggests that replacing the existing fossil fuel powered system (oil, gas, and coal), using
renewable technologies, such as solar panels or wind turbines, will not be possible for the entire global human
population. There is simply just not enough time, nor resources to do this by the current target set by the World’s
most influential nations. What may be required, therefore, is a significant reduction of societal demand for all
resources, of all kinds. This implies a very different social contract and a radically different system of governance to
what is in place today. Inevitably, this leads to the conclusion that the existing renewable energy sectors and the EV
technology systems are merely steppingstones to something else, rather than the final solution. It is recommended
that some thought be given to this and what that something else might be.

Lmao at the last sentence. hosed indeed and the author knows it lol.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
It is recommended that perhaps you consider thinking about looking into whether or not you might be comfortable thinking about delving deep into an investigation that would uncover whether it is feasible or indeed even viable to embrace global eco-stalinism immediately.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Someone remake the dome video but only 5 minutes so it can actually hold my attention

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'm geo blocked from that dome video

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

quote:

It is recommended
that some thCRACKought be given to this and what that something else might bPINGe

https://twitter.com/PatrickAJansen/status/1439905467237548034?s=20

quote:

Consider these facts: the source of much of the world’s food – seeds – is mostly in the control of just four corporations; half of all the world’s cheeses are produced with bacteria or enzymes manufactured by a single company; one in four beers drunk around the world is the product of one brewer; from the US to China, most global pork production is based around the genetics of a single breed of pig; and, perhaps most famously, although there are more than 1,500 different varieties of banana, global trade is dominated by just one, the Cavendish.

This level of uniformity has never been experienced before. The human diet has undergone more change in the last 150 years (roughly six generations) than in the entire previous one million years (around 40,000 generations). We are living and eating our way through one big unparalleled experiment.

For most of our evolution as a species, as hunter-gatherers and then as farmers, human diets were enormously varied. Our food was the product of a place and crops were adapted to a particular environment, shaped by the knowledge and the preferences of the people who lived there as well as the climate, soil, water and even altitude. This diversity was stored and passed on in the seeds farmers saved, in the flavours of the fruits and vegetables people grew, the breeds of animals they reared, the bread they baked, the cheeses they produced and the drinks they made.

The decline in the diversity of our food, and the fact that so many foods have become endangered, didn’t happen by accident: it is an entirely human-made problem. The biggest loss of crop diversity came in the decades that followed the second world war when, in an attempt to save millions from starvation, crop scientists found ways to produce grains such as rice and wheat on a phenomenal scale. To grow the extra food the world desperately needed, thousands of traditional varieties were replaced by a small number of new super-productive ones. The strategy that ensured this – more agrochemicals, more irrigation, plus new genetics – came to be known as the “green revolution”.

Because of it, grain production tripled, and between 1970 and 2020 the human population more than doubled. But the danger of creating more uniform crops is that they become vulnerable to catastrophes. A global food system that depends on just a narrow selection of plants is at greater risk of succumbing to diseases, pests and climate extremes.

Although the green revolution was based on ingenious science, it attempted to oversimplify nature, and this is starting to backfire on us. In creating fields of identical wheat, we abandoned thousands of highly adapted and resilient varieties. Far too often their valuable traits were lost. We’re starting to see our mistake – there was wisdom in what went before.

Of the 6,000 plant species humans have eaten over time, the world now mostly eats just nine, of which just three – rice, wheat and maize – provide 50% of all calories. Add potato, barley, palm oil, soy and sugar (beet and cane) and you have 75% of all the calories that fuel our species. As thousands of foods have become endangered and extinct, a small number have risen to dominance. Take soy, domesticated in China thousands of years ago, a bean relatively obscure outside Asia until the 1970s and now one of the world’s most traded agricultural commodities. Used in feed for pigs, chickens, cattle and farmed fish, which in turn feed us, soy plays a starring role in an increasingly homogeneous diet eaten by billions of people. These dietary shifts taking place at a global level, all pointing towards uniformity, are unprecedented.

An individual human diet even a few thousand years ago was far richer in diversity than the one most of us eat today. In the Jutland peninsula of western Denmark in 1950, peat diggers discovered the intact body of a man who had been executed (or possibly sacrificed) 2,500 years ago. Inside the man’s stomach was a porridge made with barley, flax and the seeds of 40 different plants. In present-day east Africa, the Hadza, who are among the last of the world’s hunter-gatherers, eat from a potential wild menu that consists of more than 800 plant and animal species, including numerous types of tubers, berries, leaves, small mammals, large game, birds and types of honey. We can’t replicate their diets in the industrialised world but we can learn from them.

I am not calling for a return to some kind of halcyon past. But I do think we should consider what the past can teach us about how to inhabit the world now and in the future. Our current food system is contributing to the destruction of the planet: one million plant and animal species are now threatened with extinction; we clear swathes of forests to plant immense monocultures and then burn through millions of barrels of oil a day to make fertilisers to feed them. We are farming on borrowed time.

I've accepted that Death is Certain but mass starvation is a real bummer :smith:.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

most important election in history

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
edit beaten

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jesus christ. so what happened to the other vehicles there, did they make it out as well?

bowser posted:

Has there been any "Climate doomerism is making millennials/Gen Z unproductive workers" articles yet? I'd like to start this morning with a good Walter White in the crawlspace laugh.

i mean it's definitely helped make me unproductive lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickAJansen/status/1439905467237548034?s=20

I've accepted that Death is Certain but mass starvation is a real bummer :smith:.

«“Just a few fields left,” the farmer said. “Extinction will come easily.”»

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

bowser posted:

Two weeks ago a paper with the title

"Young People's Voices on Climate Anxiety, Government Betrayal and Moral Injury: A Global Phenomenon"

came out, so yeah should be plenty of articles about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

CODChimera posted:

jesus christ. so what happened to the other vehicles there, did they make it out as well?
I was able to find an article that said the incident happened on September 10th, and haven't found anything about any injuries on the fire that day.