Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

silence_kit posted:

If you aren't protesting to try to persuade people, then what is the point? Is the point to satiate your martyr complex?

It makes them feel important, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shbobdb posted:

Non violent protests are designed to create martyrs.

That's how they work.

I guess directly trying to incite police action is a way to accelerate the creation of more martyrs for the BLM cause. I think you are kind of cheapening the martyrdom of the black guys who got killed by police who weren't looking for a fight by doing that but whatever.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Martyrdom is a conscious choice.

Those pussies at the salt march really cheapened the deaths of those killed by British imperialism.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

enraged_camel posted:

I would hardly call driving to work "entertainment" (a lot of people still worked on Monday, you realize?). But maybe you have some bizarre tastes. To each his own I guess.
I forgot this thread was in D+D. I will be very literal for you.

It made your time less happy. It made you notice how displeased those people are about something. It got your attention. Mission accomplished.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It also made you pick a side.

I hope you're happy with the side you chose.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FRINGE posted:

I forgot this thread was in D+D. I will be very literal for you.

It made your time less happy. It made you notice how displeased those people are about something. It got your attention. Mission accomplished.

So I was right

enraged_camel posted:

Unless you subscribe to the hosed up mindset of "any publicity is good publicity."

Then again this is probably why modern protests have been so ineffective compared to their counterparts in the Civil Rights/Vietnam eras. OWS was an embarrassing failure of a movement. It got people's attention, but didn't accomplish much in proportion to the energy put in and the damage caused. The long-term effectiveness of BLM remains to be seen, but things aren't looking good so far.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

silence_kit posted:

If you aren't protesting to try to persuade people, then what is the point? Is the point to satiate your martyr complex?

So is your proposition here that "cops should not be indiscriminately killing black folks" is rendered less persuasive by some traffic getting blocked? "Well, they make some good points about that police murder thing, but on the other hand, traffic on 80 is already a bitch, so honestly it feels like a tossup."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Counterpoint: Both movements have shifted the political dialogue pretty significantly.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

OWS was an embarrassing failure of a movement.
OWS took a mostly invisible topic (to average Americans) and made it a daily conversation piece that has not subsided.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Counterpoint: Both movements have shifted the political dialogue pretty significantly.

What does this even mean?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Those suffragettes didn't huck bricks through every window they could find. They targeted their brick-hurling towards specific demographics. They went after golf courses to target a specific demographic. Martin Luther King, Jr. (and the civil rights movement's other leaders, generally) targeted specific demographics, too: they were fighting institutionalized racism by publicly engaging (usually peacefully) with the racist authorities and institutions.

What demographic is targeted when you block all Westbound traffic on the Bay Bridge, on a bank holiday, when BART is running Saturday service? I'd argue you're targeting the sorts of people who have to work that day regardless. E.g., absolutely no government workers, probably not a lot of high-tech workers, the employees who work in finance, biotech, software; but a lot of service industry workers. A lot of people who commute not from the wealthiest Bay Area communities on the Peninsula, but rather, people commuting from the much less wealthy communities in the East Bay. None of the most-wealthy people who actually live in the City.

Nuance matters. Who is BLM trying to inconvenience? The Suffragettes wanted to sway their most passive supporters to act. The civil rights marchers wanted to garner national attention, show themselves to be peaceful by contrast to the violence employed by (particularly but not exclusively) Southern government and commercial institutions, and inconvenience their passive supporters who were eligible to vote in those (mostly but not always) Southern communities.

When BLM interrupts Bernie Sanders, they're inconveniencing a politician who may be their most likely ally among the presidential candidates. When they block the Westbound Bay Bridge, they may be inconveniencing the Bay Area demographic segment most likely to already be their supporters.

I'd be a lot more sympathetic if they blocked northbound 101 in Palo Alto at 8 AM on a regular weekday morning. It might also have less of a direct impact on the hourly wages of people who don't get paid if they're not at work (e.g., working class stiffs) if they blocked the evening commute instead of the morning commute. Maybe they picked Westbound Bay Bridge specifically because there's a pedestrian walkway that permits access more easily than a lot of other choices, and practical considerations have to be, uh, considered. I dunno.

I'm still a bit ambivalent about it, but hell, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." If BLM is still figuring out how to be maximally effective, at least they're regularly getting national attention, which is more than I can say for a lot of other important liberal causes these days.

I don't mean to dismiss your entire post out of hand, but are you really claiming that a BLM protest on MLK Jr. Day was bad timing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What it really means is that when it comes to political and social movements, dominant memes in the media, sweeping changes in public perception, etc. etc. it's a chaotic system where it's impossible to irrefutably assign causes and effects.

We're still talking about poo poo like breaking up the big banks, "too big to fail," the candidates in the democratic presidential debate were competing for who is going to be tougher on wall street, etc. Would we be having that conversation if OWS had never happened?

Perhaps not, but it's impossible to prove one way or the other. We also can't know what other movement(s) might have happened instead, if OWS hadn't. What would the civil rights movement have looked like, without Selma? We don't know. What if MLK hadn't been murdered? What if we'd won the Vietnam war? What if Obama hadn't been elected, where would race relations be right now?

That's very broad obviously, but when you're talking about "how effective was this protest movement" you can create a narrative (and historians do), and back it up with a strong argument, citing specific series of events, etc. You can find someone who did something important (pass a law, say) and interview them and maybe they say "yeah when I saw that march on TV, that was really a wakeup moment for me." But people's personal narratives aren't even reliable. Our memories are a lot worse than most people are ready to admit or accept, and every time you review a memory - good or bad - you alter it. And in any case, even if we accept all of that, we still cannot investigate an alternate history in which X didn't happen, but some other Y event did, because there are an infinite number of Y events.

So no, we just don't know. We probably cannot know. We can say, "they protested, and then in the next election, the numbers had shifted in their favor" but correlation does not imply causation, we just cannot know.

Instead, I think charitably we can say this: modern protest movements can take cues from past protest movements that historians and cultural narratives regard as having been successful. BLM obviously looks to past civil rights movements and we can hardly blame them for protesting in ways that past movements did, even if we don't personally think it'll work, for whatever reason.

Kobayashi posted:

I don't mean to dismiss your entire post out of hand, but are you really claiming that a BLM protest on MLK Jr. Day was bad timing?

Ironic, huh? Obviously the anniversary makes a protest particularly appropriate. But I think in this case, they chose a specific location that, on this particular holiday, is more likely to inconvenience a different demographic than (I'm guessing) they intended to inconvenience.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 20, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Occupy talking points have become part of the common political parlance (it shifted the overton window left on economic issues in a way that hasn't happened since Bobby loving Kennedy) and likewise BLM forces Bernie's campaign to accept canonical texts like "Black Marxism" as opposed to the white boy attitude of "race issues are economic issues".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Ironic, huh? Obviously the anniversary makes a protest particularly appropriate. But I think in this case, they chose a specific location that, on this particular holiday, is more likely to inconvenience a different demographic than (I'm guessing) they intended to inconvenience.

You give them too much credit. I don't think they intended to convenience a specific demographic. They just wanted to protest because of the same misguided belief that FRINGE posted above: that attention is the only thing that matters and as long as you get someone's attention with your protesting, it's "mission accomplished."

It's as hare-brained as it gets, basically. MLK must be turning over in his grave.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A statement about how disappointed Dr. King would be is the ultimate signature of milquetoast white liberals and rich black conservatives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Look at all these selfish people who want to feel good and scream "gently caress everyone until you listen to me"
:goonsay:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Kobayashi posted:

MLK Jr day has social significance but his/her post is quite correct in that repeatedly shutting down 101 in south bay would do far more to rouse the people with actual political connections and power.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FRINGE posted:

OWS took a mostly invisible topic (to average Americans) and made it a daily conversation piece that has not subsided.

but the pizza tweet

:goonsay:

enraged_camel posted:

MLK must be turning over in his grave.

Shut the gently caress up honky

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

You give them too much credit. I don't think they intended to convenience a specific demographic. They just wanted to protest because of the same misguided belief that FRINGE posted above: that attention is the only thing that matters and as long as you get someone's attention with your protesting, it's "mission accomplished."

Yea, you can have the right strategy (protest to raise awareness of your issue and keep the discussion about that issue going) and still have poo poo tactics (perform your protest in a way that minimally impacts those whose awareness you need to raise while most impacting those who area already on your side).

Doing the right thing the wrong way isn't appreciably better than doing the wrong thing, especially in the long run. Look at the ridiculous and completely ineffective protests that were taking place in the run-up the the Iraq War: lots of self-righteous people marched and blocked traffic (in blue urban areas and college towns) and did absolutely nothing to even slow the start of the war itself.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

GrumpyDoctor posted:

So is your proposition here that "cops should not be indiscriminately killing black folks" is rendered less persuasive by some traffic getting blocked? "Well, they make some good points about that police murder thing, but on the other hand, traffic on 80 is already a bitch, so honestly it feels like a tossup."

No, if you would read my posts, all I'm saying is that a BLM protest by stopping traffic is a horrible ad campaign. Getting people to associate your cause with something annoying like traffic isn't persuasive.

Other people have pointed out that their ad campaign is poorly targeted. It's like if Tesla decided to promote their cars by putting stalls in flea markets instead of upscale shopping centers and by piling human poo poo and garbage in their floor cars so that people would associate their cars with bad odors and decay.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

silence_kit posted:

No, if you would read my posts, all I'm saying is that a BLM protest by stopping traffic is a horrible ad campaign. Getting people to associate your cause with something annoying like traffic isn't persuasive.

Other people have pointed out that their ad campaign is poorly targeted. It's like if Tesla decided to promote their cars by putting stalls in flea markets instead of upscale shopping centers and by piling human poo poo and garbage in their floor cars so that people would associate their cars with bad odors and decay.

If the best analogy you can come up with for a movement protesting the murder of its children is a company selling $70k cars, you may want to reconsider the point you're trying to make.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Kobayashi posted:

If the best analogy you can come up with for a movement protesting the murder of its children is a company selling $70k cars, you may want to reconsider the point you're trying to make.

If you can't see the actual point he's trying to make and can only look at the superficial elements of the analogy, you're either intellectually dishonest or much more interested in the tribal elements of your political affiliation than in trying to do actual good in the world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Listen, if they want to stop dying in the street, they better come up with a more enjoyable way to communicate their goals.

Why don't they spend money on ads or do some cross-marketing like other "urban" brands?

e_angst posted:

If you can't see the actual point BLM trying to make and can only look at the superficial impacts of the protest, you're either intellectually dishonest or much more interested in the tribal elements of your political affiliation than in trying to do actual good in the world.

I would point out this statement applies very well to those critiquing the techniques used by BLM.

(Also the fact we're discussing this days later is probably proof their actions worked)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kobayashi posted:

You are being very uncreative and are latching onto irrelevant things to try to make arguments. The point is that BLM stopping traffic is horrible advertising. Not all press is good press. There is a reason why advertisers don't intentionally try to get you to associate their product or service with annoying and unpleasant things.

Good advertisers also try to target and tailor their ads towards an intended audience. For example, playing ads targeted for 20-30 year old singles during Saturday morning cartoons is a waste of time and money. As pointed out earlier, BLM protestors poorly targeted their ad campaign by inconviencing probably mostly retail and service workers by blocking the Bay Bridge on an evening commute during a government holiday.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Good advertisers also try to target and tailor their ads towards an intended audience. For example, playing ads targeted for 20-30 year old singles during Saturday morning cartoons is a waste of time and money. As pointed out earlier, BLM protestors poorly targeted their ad campaign by inconviencing probably mostly retail and service workers by blocking the Bay Bridge on an evening commute during a government holiday.

Or blocking people going into SF to shop/play on a holiday...but lets keep playing up the workers angle, and blame BLM for the actions of theoretical lovely bosses.

What ad time do you suggest they have bought instead for the same price?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I'm sympathetic to the protestors and don't really care if they block traffic or not, but at the same time I don't really get what the point of that specific action is. It's obviously not targeted toward inconveniencing specific people or winning hearts and minds of people who are unengaged, so is it just "raising awareness"?

I guess if we and other people are still talking about it, awareness is raised somewhat among people in the Bay Area who are likely almost all at least familiar with the idea of BLM, but the way that "awareness" translates into anything concrete seems a little hand-wavey and nebulous to me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I'm sympathetic to the protestors and don't really care if they block traffic or not, but at the same time I don't really get what the point of that specific action is. It's obviously not targeted toward inconveniencing specific people or winning hearts and minds of people who are unengaged, so is it just "raising awareness"?

I guess if we and other people are still talking about it, awareness is raised somewhat among people in the Bay Area who are likely almost all at least familiar with the idea of BLM, but the way that "awareness" translates into anything concrete seems a little hand-wavey and nebulous to me.

The reasons to engage in protest action are more numerous than just raising awareness. Maintaining momentum, increasing organizing experience, because it is right, and because the injury is still painful and ongoing are just some examples.

It is easy to dismiss protests when you limit their purpose arbitrarily as others have shown.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

I'm not talking about protest action in general, I mean (as I said) this specific action, blocking traffic on the bridge, as opposed to other types of organized protest actions.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I think it's easy to overlook just how good the authorities have gotten in combating, and controlling the narrative of protests. It's easy to push people off into a 'free speech zone', so they can be easily ignored and everyone else can go on with their daily lives. Protesting in the 21st century seems to really only have the function of 'getting people to discuss the problem, maybe...' as other people have pointed out.

I have to admit the protest culture (especially bay area/Berkeley protest culture) seems pretty strange. It feels weirdly institutionalized. It just seems like applying 1960s protest techniques to more sophisticated 2015-2016 institutions isn't working out very well. Outside of leftist circles , most protesters (like unions) have been successfully vilified. It's extra depressing when you see like a bunch of semi-retired 50 year olds protesting and trying to recapture their protest glory days. It really feels like some of these people here are just into protesting as a hobby, like running 10ks or knitting. It's what they do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm not talking about protest action in general, I mean (as I said) this specific action, blocking traffic on the bridge, as opposed to other types of organized protest actions.

Please explain how what I said didn't apply to the protest action in question, because afaik they apply perfectly. Shutting down the bridge is hard work and isn't easily done.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 20, 2016

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

quote:

The reasons to engage in protest action are more numerous than just raising awareness. Maintaining momentum, increasing organizing experience, because it is right, and because the injury is still painful and ongoing are just some examples.

It's not that none of these apply at all, I just don't see how the bridge action is specifically the best or even a particularly good way of meeting those criteria or more broadly advancing their agenda. "Maintaining momentum" and "because it is right" in particular are a little vague and could really be said about almost anything you like.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's not that none of these apply at all, I just don't see how the bridge action is specifically the best or even a particularly good way of meeting those criteria or more broadly advancing their agenda. "Maintaining momentum" and "because it is right" in particular are a little vague and could really be said about almost anything you like.

Now you're moving the goal posts to "protesters must do what is the best" rather than "what value could they gain from that protest."

Yes, a lot of protest movements could try and shutdown the bridge, I would argue that it was a valid protest tactic even if I disagreed with the cause.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The protesters were cuffed with plastic zip ties for six hours. CHP considers this "appropriate."

In other news: Ed Lee vetoed the Idaho Stop.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Now you're moving the goal posts to "protesters must do what is the best" rather than "what value could they gain from that protest."

Yes, a lot of protest movements could try and shutdown the bridge, I would argue that it was a valid protest tactic even if I disagreed with the cause.

Maybe I worded my initial post badly, but my real question has always been "what value could they gain from that particular protest rather than any other protest."

If I genuinely thought shutting down a bridge the way they did would significantly advance the cause of BLM beyond vague, unspecific assertions of "momentum" and "gaining organizing experience", I'd say great, do it. But it seems that you and a lot of advocates of these kind of protests just take it for granted that it is not only appropriate but necessary action, and I suppose I'm not able to make the connection between the action and any significant advancement of the cause.

Edit: slightly better wording

SousaphoneColossus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 20, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

silence_kit posted:

You are being very uncreative and are latching onto irrelevant things to try to make arguments. The point is that BLM stopping traffic is horrible advertising. Not all press is good press. There is a reason why advertisers don't intentionally try to get you to associate their product or service with annoying and unpleasant things.

Social change movements are not widget sales campaigns.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maybe I worded my initial post badly, but my real question has always been "what value could they gain from that particular protest rather than any other protest."

If I genuinely thought shutting down a bridge the way they did would significantly advance the cause of BLM beyond vague, unspecific assertions of "momentum" and "gaining organizing experience", I'd say great, do it. But it seems that you and a lot of advocates of these kind of protests just take it for granted that it is not only appropriate but necessary action, and I suppose I'm not able to make the connection between the action and any significant advancement of the cause.

Edit: slightly better wording

I listed some ways they got value, but that was dismissed because there were theoretical better ways to get those objectives.

But even if the goal was just to get BLM back in the Bay Area news conversations, I can't think of a more effective thing 50 people could have done.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

SoCalGas officials just said they're optimistic that they'll have the Porter Ranch leak capped by end of February :negative:

Haha they were thinking about flaring the gas, but decided not to citing the risk of "catastrophic explosion":

quote:

"But at Saturday’s meeting, the South Coast Air Quality Management District decided to stall the plan to capture and burn gas from the leaking well until local fire officials as well as state and federal authorities have given their approval, the Los Angeles Times wrote.

That decision came after the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) criticized the plan, which involved capturing gas at the leak site with a 3-foot-wide pipe and burning the gas off at a distance from the wellhead. Instead, the PUC said, SoCal Gas’ earlier attempts to plug the leak by pumping slurry into the wellhead weakened it to the point where a misstep in installing the 3-foot-wide pipe could cause a blowout to occur, which could cause the pressurized gas to vent directly into the atmosphere instead of diffusing through several areas in the ground, as it is doing now.

As the Los Angeles Times reported last week, SoCal Gas’ earlier attempts at plugging the leak by pumping slurry into the wellhead created a 25-foot-deep ditch around the site. "The wellhead sits exposed within the cavernous space, held in place with cables attached after it wobbled during the plugging attempt,” the Times wrote. That precarious wellhead is a last defense against the unfettered venting of a lot of pressurized gas.

On top of that, the area around the wellhead is so flammable that cellphones and watches are not permitted, lest something set off a spark. Relief well drilling takes place at a site that is a safe distance away.

The relief well is not expected to be completed until early February. As of January 15, the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services reported that the relief well had been drilled to a depth of 7,800 feet. The reservoir that contains the natural gas (which itself is an old oil well, sucked dry before the 1970s) lies some 8,500 to 8,700 feet beneath the surface.

(http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/regulators-halt-plans-to-capture-and-burn-leaked-methane-in-southern-california/)

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

Social change movements are not widget sales campaigns.

But they are, fundamentally, public relations campaigns. This is what the great social movement leaders have always understood, and what too many modern movements are missing. They do counter-productive things because it "gets people talking about them", not recognizing that also matters what they are saying about you, not just that they are talking about you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

e_angst posted:

But they are, fundamentally, public relations campaigns.
Yes, but that is a substantially different thing than a targeted sales model.

PR can reliably take bad attention and transform it once it has been gathered. When sales tarnishes a brand it is sometimes sunk, and when sales targets the wrong audience it is wasted money. They are different kinds of processes.

Social movements need attention first, and everything else after. Without massive amounts of attention it is not a social movement, it is just some people being irritated. Without massive attention it is easy to dismiss people as "fringe malcontents" or "conspiracy theorists" or a dozen other media friendly buzzword dismissals.

The idiots that attacked Sanders in Seattle are an example. Those two were loving stupid, but the attention was something that BLM (and Sanders) were able to change and make use of. (Of course its a fine line between idiots/bad attention, and the kinds of things that are actually destructive to a cause. People that are not interested in the issue to begin with will say that anything inconvenient to them is a "bad strategy" ... for a while. After the fact they will act like they were always on "the right side". Thats people.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

e_angst posted:

But they are, fundamentally, public relations campaigns. This is what the great social movement leaders have always understood, and what too many modern movements are missing. They do counter-productive things because it "gets people talking about them", not recognizing that also matters what they are saying about you, not just that they are talking about you.

I think you're underestimating that when these movements actually find some success, institutions won't outright admit it. You're not going to get nice soundbites or positive coverage from a lot of this stuff, even if there's a positive impact due to the disruption. The problem is any disruption of the status quo is going to be an inconvenience. I'm not convinced there's a 'productive' way to deal with these issues, but I know I'd much rather have traffic stops over people getting hurt.