Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

forkboy84 posted:

Wait until they create Smart Cartoonists, Thomas is in real loving trouble then.

Apparently a smart motorway just has the hard shoulder used as a normal lane which seems the opposite of smart? Obviously I had to look this up because PT gives no clues this is a real thing
I know what a smart motorway is - we've had them for years - just no loving clue what he's trying to say with that cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ewan posted:

I know what a smart motorway is - we've had them for years - just no loving clue what he's trying to say with that cartoon

We have? Entirely new one to me.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they've been digging up bits of the M6 and M1 to do it for a decade at least at this point I think

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
isn't smart motorways just what they call "doing away with the hard shoulder"?

like is there anything more to it than that? :/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's smart! With internets of things and an app on the signs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're meant to be watched so that they can have lanes closed for breakdowns and reopened as soon as it's cleared etc. But they're not, so they're just deathtraps.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They monitor traffic flow and dynamically reduce the speed limit on affected sections to help clear congestion, with regularly spaced digital displays. They can also close lanes if there's an accident, and I'm guessing the rationale is that there's significantly fewer breakdowns in modern cars, so reclaiming an entire unused lane is the easiest way of relieving congestion.

Right now I think people treat the signage as optional when they feel like it, since it's all done by computer and they don't run into traffic jams that would justify the regular drops to 60 or 50 or occasionally 40mph (those speed reductions being WHY there aren't as many jams), so it wouldn't surprise me if someone just decided to keep driving in a now closed lane and ended up flattening someone.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that's fuckin stupid, just keep the hard shoulder in case something goes tits up :mad:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the feud between Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon – The row about Sturgeon’s role in the sexual misconduct charges against Salmond last year have become a flashpoint in Scottish politics. Salmond is due to give evidence to Holyrood on Friday"

Telegraph:

Teachers to get sweeping powers to decide exam results in England

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... teachers deciding exam grades

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Oh no I laughed at one

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Queen urging Britons to take the Covid vaccine – The Queen has encouraged people to ‘think about other people rather than themselves’ and get the Covid-19 jab in a video call with health officials leading the deployment of the vaccine across the UK" After Tenniel.

Telegraph:

Budget 2021: Sunak faces revolt over planned capital gains tax raid

Independent:

Salmond accuses Sturgeon of using Covid briefing to 'effectively question jury result' – as it happened After Raeburn.

The i paper:

Labour to state 'non-negotiable' support for UK's nuclear weapons

Times:

Mr Potato Head loses 'mister' as Hasbro opts for gender-neutral brand name

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Prince Harry's son Archie getting a waffle maker :rolleyes:

Royal Waffle Machine

Stephen Collins:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Right now I think people treat the signage as optional when they feel like it, since it's all done by computer and they don't run into traffic jams that would justify the regular drops to 60 or 50 or occasionally 40mph (those speed reductions being WHY there aren't as many jams), so it wouldn't surprise me if someone just decided to keep driving in a now closed lane and ended up flattening someone.

:stare: Are radar traps not a thing in the UK? I've seen some remote signage like that over here (Germany), and occasionally radar traps are set up to catch people ignoring them. Or hell, to catch anyone going faster than allowed.

If we'd put up new "smart" signs, anyone disregarding them would soon have to walk, even without plowing into someone

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The chancellor prepares his budget – Rishi Sunak feels the dead hand of Covid debt and the cold breath of austerity"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak's Covid relief budget – Rishi Sunak has indicated that emergency support measures such as the furlough scheme will be extended beyond the end of April in the budget on Wednesday"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Carrie Symonds and Dilyn the dog are running No 10, snipes Dominic Cummings's ally - as PM's new press secretary Allegra Stratton rubbishes wild claims of tensions with Boris Johnson's fiancee, insisting: 'We are all a nest of singing birds'

Evening Standard:

Alarm over delays in border measures as Brazil Covid variant hits UK

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes Blower that's how economies work.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson's border measures and the Brazil Covid variant – The prime minister has denied hotel quarantine was brought in too slowly, as a nationwide search to track down a person infected with a coronavirus “variant of concern” that originated in Brazil gets under way"

Telegraph:

Budget 2021: Rishi Sunak to pledge more government firepower to save jobs and businesses

Matt:

Boris Johnson 'outright condemns' Guardian columnist Roy Greenslade as he RESIGNS from City University post amid outrage after he revealed his long-held support for the IRA

Independent:

Times:

People smugglers could get life sentences under new rules, says Home Office

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak set to announce £400m for arts sector in his Budget;

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... our dwindling police stations

David Squires:

Bonus! Prospect magazine:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Blower just straight up stealing from former Telegraph physical cartoonist Brant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50HKLZHOQfA

Shameless.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on French ex-president Nicolas Sarkozy's corruption conviction - French former president Nicolas Sarkozy has been sentenced to three years in jail, two of them suspended, for corruption"

Telegraph:

Rishi Sunak flags tax rises in budget as total Covid spending tops £400bn

Matt:

Independent:

Irish racehorse trainer pictured sitting on dead horse banned from racing in Britain pending an investigation

Times:

Johnson trying to set up charity that could fund Downing Street flat revamp

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the No10 makeover

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would do an audio tour of the bedroom at number 10. Pulling all the books off the bookcase and pressing every wall panel to try and find Ted heaths secret cupboard full of child skeletons

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Rishi Sunak's budget and Boris Johnson's renovations - Chancellor Rishi Sunak today delivered his budget and Covid recovery plans. This week it was also reported Downing Street is trying to set up a charity that could cover the costs of the refurbishment of Boris Johnson’s flat"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Buckingham Palace to investigate bullying allegations against Meghan

Independent:

Times:

Rishi Sunak admits ‘I’m a total coke addict’ to two boys – then corrects himself
Bonus! Morland's animated cartoon.

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak’s ‘weird’ staircase photo became an instant meme

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Rishi Sunak's Covid budget

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Blower's understanding of national economics.
Sucker's understanding of national economics.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
does that Independent cartoonist have to draw everyone with a cock for a nose? i mean it's just a fixation rather than a funny gimmick at this point :/

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Bob and his antivax tweets about evil killer nurses got a mention in private eye this week. Luckily the eye thinks that vaccines are good now

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Oprah interviewing Harry and Meghan — The Duchess of Sussex has said she cannot be expected to remain silent about her experiences of palace life if the royal family is ‘perpetuating falsehoods’ about her and Prince Harry"

Telegraph:

UK economic growth next year will be fastest since 1948, says OBR

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

NHS, social care and most vulnerable 'betrayed' by Sunak's budget

Evening Standard:

Nurses' union prepares for strike action over 1% pay offer for NHS staff

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... a right Royal row

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Bob and his antivax tweets about evil killer nurses got a mention in private eye this week. Luckily the eye thinks that vaccines are good now

Hislop is very touchy and defensive about the Eye's place in anti-vaxer promotion history. Wonder if he's the same with HIGNFY and Boris.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Rishi Sunak's budget backlash - Rishi Sunak is under increasing pressure to provide more money for the NHS and struggling households amid criticism from tax and spending experts that his budget doesn’t add up"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After J Butterworth.

The i paper:

Times:

Priti Patel reaches £340,000 settlement with ex-Home Office chief Philip Rutnam

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Carrie's No10 redecoration

Stephen Collins:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jesus making GBS threads gently caress, how many passes on Carrie Symond's face did Paul do before he just hit send and burst into tears?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Covid winners and losers – As the private sector hoovers up contracts, nurses receive a 1% pay rise"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the government's NHS pay offer – A proposed 1% increase for frontline staff has been criticised by unions, NHS leaders and some Tory MPs" Also Walker 'stunned' to see ship hovering high above sea off Cornwall

Telegraph:

Jubilation and fear as English schools reopen amid continuing confusion

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

'I didn't want to be alive any more': Harry and Meghan describe racism and royal animosity in Oprah interview

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview - The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have said racism was ‘large part’ of their decision to leave Britain"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the Royals in crisis

David Squires:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the queen can't possibly be able to see that tv and Andrew would be straining his neck. Thomas knocks it out of the park again

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Also the title card on the TV. Just stellar work once again.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Andy seems to be doing an awful lot of sweating there

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It also looks liek the motto of the Pizza Palace is "Putting the woke into woking" which, like, what does that even mean

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Reveilled posted:

It also looks liek the motto of the Pizza Palace is "Putting the woke into woking" which, like, what does that even mean

I assume it's supposed to be capital w Woking, as in where Andrew claims to have visited Pizza Express as his alibi. As to its supposed wokeness, I don't know. Maybe it's 'work'?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Could be "putting the wok into Woking".

Because food is cooked in a wok sometimes.

Which makes sense for pizza.

This is more :effort: than Thomas put in I'm sure.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Harry saying Charles stopped taking his calls — Prince Charles has appeared in public for the first time since the Oprah interview aired, but made no comment" After Gillray.

Telegraph:

Whitty: revising plan to ease England lockdown would risk fresh Covid surge

Matt:

Piers Morgan leaves Good Morning Britain after Meghan row

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

No evidence £22bn test-and-trace scheme cut Covid rates in England, say MPs

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the Royal 'racism' mystery

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i don't recall poirot being a bald gangster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Philip is hiding in the fireplace.