Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MisterBibs posted:

I was looking at Memory Alpha earlier, specifically about planned/considered episodes that didn't get made, and get this: they were considering making a sequel to A Piece Of The Action during DS9, but didn't because the writers (specifically Ira) were disdainful of having the Iotians be hardcore TOS fans.

The Fifty Year Mission wasn't lying when DS9 was described as the inmates running the asylum, were they? :sigh:

Ehhhhhhhh having the Iotians be Trekkers is a bit too meta for me as well.

galenanorth posted:

They already used up the "shock value death" card with Jadzia Dax only two seasons before the season that's being pitched, and at least it was done in a way that seemed to make sense

lol Jadzia went out just as abruptly and meaninglessly as Tasha Yar

bull3964 posted:

Actually, they were.

Here's how it went down.

"The Cage" was produced. CBS had first look rights with Desilu so it went there first. CBS rejected it because it was too similar to Lost in Space.

They they shopped it to NBC who saw promise, but still didn't like the pilot but commissioned the second pilot of "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure they didn't start work on the pilot (which was heinously expensive back then) until they sold the pitch to NBC.

Either way, having the show pitched to them isn't nearly the same as being involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Generally speaking tumblr zone likes the characters hanging out being friends and never talks about S31 and would never hurt rom . It sounds wussy but imho it's emotionally healthier than wanting to see Vic Fontaine forced to get an abortion by the gestapo or whatever

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Kling off a character for absolutely no reason sounds like gane of thrones poo poo post season 4.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Well if you want spoilers of the highlights of why I thought it was poo poo and am shocked anyone liked it: Bajor wants little to do with the Federation and treats Starfleet like crap, S31 with Bashir as head (wtf) decides the best way to deal with this is to try to kill the prophets and destroy the wormhole (wtf?!) because then they'll see the light of reason/atheism and has the Federation kill Nog when he finds out. Also the Bajorans have secretly converted the entire Jem'Hadar with Vedek Kira (wtf???!!!!) and is planning on using them as their new army if war breaks out. Then Sisko comes back with a cliff-hanger. It is that bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gorgo Primus posted:

Well if you want spoilers of the highlights of why I thought it was poo poo and am shocked anyone liked it: Bajor wants little to do with the Federation and treats Starfleet like crap, S31 with Bashir as head (wtf) decides the best way to deal with this is to try to kill the prophets and destroy the wormhole (wtf?!) because then they'll see the light of reason/atheism and has the Federation kill Nog when he finds out. Also the Bajorans have secretly converted the entire Jem'Hadar with Vedek Kira (wtf???!!!!) and is planning on using them as their new army if war breaks out. Then Sisko comes back with a cliff-hanger. It is that bad.

It felt like the whole writing crew totally forgot what DS9 was about and instead desperately want to out-grimdark Discovery.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gorgo Primus posted:

You've got to be making GBS threads me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've read a whole bunch of Star Trek books and none of them were that stupid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've had the whole plot for the Axanar movie explained to me, and that's no longer the worst Trek-related idea I've ever heard.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Epicurius posted:

They were afraid they'd get backlash from the fans.

I'm struggling to find any problems other than really weird Trekkies revealing that they are really weird Trekkies. Most of your audience, even for a Trek that is jonesing on 40k with a chaser of Venom: Lethal Protector, is going to find it funny.

e: vvv to clarify, if you're deep into being a fan of DS9 (with its 90s edginess, of which VLP and 40k always felt like solid examples of that flaw), there's less odds that you're going to find making fun of TOS to be a bad thing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 30, 2019

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No part of any of that makes a lick of sense

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gorgo Primus posted:

Star Trek is dead.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

can we get someone else to confirm this because :wtc:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That DS9 pitch is just embarrassingly bad, it sounds like a (lovely) DS9 Mirror Universe pitch more than anything that makes sense alongside DS9 proper.

MisterBibs posted:

I was looking at Memory Alpha earlier, specifically about planned/considered episodes that didn't get made, and get this: they were considering making a sequel to A Piece Of The Action during DS9, but didn't because the writers (specifically Ira) were disdainful of having the Iotians be hardcore TOS fans.

The Fifty Year Mission wasn't lying when DS9 was described as the inmates running the asylum, were they? :sigh:

If you want to ruin your day read the behind the scenes section of Dukat's page at Memory Alpha.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Stunned the guy with purple beard goes for edge over substance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He heard from :females: that his script idea was bad so he doubled down on it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

CBS thought the series could work, but they didn’t actually like “The Cage” as an episode so they demanded some changes — they felt it was too slow with not enough action, and disliked Roddenberry casting his side piece as the female lead (or weren’t ready for a strong female lead of any sort, to hear Roddenberry tell it) — and ordered a second pilot, namely “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. Jeffrey Hunter (Captain Pike) wanted to be in movies instead, and he wasn’t under contract because the pilot had been rejected, so his character was replaced too. Thus only Spock was really left over for the second pilot.

Then during the first season they ran out of episodes in the can and reused a lot of “The Cage” with a frame story as “The Menagerie”.

According to Jeffrey Hunter's son, it was his stepmother (Hunter's current wife) who decided that her husband should only be in movies. Hunter was out of the country filming when Roddenberry came around about a second pilot, and she told him Hunter wasn't interested. Hunter had enjoyed working on it and was pissed that she'd turned it down for him.

Of course, that's a kid who's dad could have been Captain Kirk on a cool space tv show and probably hated his Hollywood stepmother saying this, but that's the story as he tells it. And Hunter divorced her shortly after, if that tells you anything. Hunter himself said he had turned it down because of the commitment and he would rather do movies--but he ended up filming another pilot the same year so...

If you want to play what if though, would Star Trek have been as big with Pike instead of Kirk? Would Hunter have been interested in coming back for TMP in 79? Would he, at 5 years older than Shatner, have been willing to come back for as many movies up til Generations? Would he have still died young?--he fell in his home in 1969 and fractured his skull, but it's suspected that was residual effects from an on set injury in a movie the year before which he probably wouldn't have been filming if he'd been on Star Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Star Trek is dead.

Shoot it into space in a big sunglasses case

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Seemlar posted:

If you want to ruin your day read the behind the scenes section of Dukat's page at Memory Alpha.

I'm looking it over now and I've just learned that apparently Richard Moll was considered for the part of Dukat. I'm... not even sure what to say to that.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m genuinely curious what the reaction to it is outside these forums. It really felt like Ira and RDM and all the other writers had forgotten what made DS9 work in the first place and were just cribbing from other shows that had come since that don’t really fit the DS9 tone.

I mean I know it’s all hypothetical and it was a one-off brainstorming session that wasn’t ever meant to be seen outside the doc, but it’s disappointing that the same guys who knocked it out of the park the first time around were so clueless in how to capture even an iota of that magic again.

I vaguely wonder if some of it also is not having the editors and producers and things that kinda massage ideas down from the first draft into usable stuff.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gorgo Primus posted:

:wtc:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Seemlar posted:

That DS9 pitch is just embarrassingly bad, it sounds like a (lovely) DS9 Mirror Universe pitch more than anything that makes sense alongside DS9 proper.

A quick skim just shows that most of the producers are generally stupid as hell.
"I guess the old cliches are true: Hitler loved his dog." <-- What the gently caress does this mean? He wasn't a robot sent back in time to start world war 2, why do people act like this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Good art generally comes from restrictions and push back. Star Wars was pretty good, but that's because Lucas had a huge team of talented people who saved the movie in the edit and push back against some of his dumber poo poo, when he was given 100% control it was of course garbage. I think this imaginary DS9 season 8 would be exactly the same if Ira was given full control, he'd Lucas it hard.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Baronjutter posted:

Good art generally comes from restrictions and push back. Star Wars was pretty good, but that's because Lucas had a huge team of talented people who saved the movie in the edit and push back against some of his dumber poo poo, when he was given 100% control it was of course garbage. I think this imaginary DS9 season 8 would be exactly the same if Ira was given full control, he'd Lucas it hard.

Don't forget that the original script of star wars was something stupid like 400 pages

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pick posted:

Generally speaking tumblr zone likes the characters hanging out being friends and never talks about S31 and would never hurt rom . It sounds wussy but imho it's emotionally healthier than wanting to see Vic Fontaine forced to get an abortion by the gestapo or whatever
My subroutine, my choice. Heyy! *swing music comes on*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

can we get someone else to confirm this because :wtc:

Not only is that whole post true, they also forgot that Nog is captain of the Defiant and it blows up killing everyone aboard two minutes in. Martok is about to abdicate as Chancellor so that Worf can take over, but Worf goes to Bajor for reasons (?) and meets in secret with Garak at the fire caves, and Garak is the one who shows him the evidence of Vedek Kira converting Jem Hadar. Also Jake’s half brother (the kid Cassidy was pregnant with in the finale) is serving as DS9’s science officer, Ezri is captain of her own ship, and Bashir is married to her and somehow both her CMO and the head of S31. Oh, and Molly O’Brien is also in starfleet serving on DS9 for some reason.

They also considered killing O’Brien instead of Nog even though he’s just living a peaceful life on earth teaching engineering.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 30, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They also considered killing O’Brien instead of Nog even though he’s just living a peaceful life on earth teaching engineering.

loving gently caress. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Amazing. I think I might even watch Discovery before something like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
some things in life are just impressively bad

truly though, a monument to all the things I make very clear I hate, particularly everyone being the grand high mojo of whatever their demographic was

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

me right now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i freakin told you guys

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Oh, and it’s not directly stated, but you can see on their whiteboard that Jake’s new girlfriend/wife is a secret Section 31 agent for some reason

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I almost want to take screenshots of the whiteboards just to see what other terrible no good ideas they had

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh, and it’s not directly stated, but you can see on their whiteboard that Jake’s new girlfriend/wife is a secret Section 31 agent for some reason

lmao armin shimerman co-wrote the ds9 book where quark is just emo tortured in a way that comes off as awkward and uncomfortable for Hundreds of pages and it is substantially better than this

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I had forgotten that Bashir was also the CMO for Ezri during all this and only had a 'scary' beard while at S31 headquarters. The rest I just didn't include in my highlights by choice. What a total mess. What happened to the Romulan cold war stuff they were working towards at the end of 7... :( I blame JJ for blowing them up as a minor plot point to make his garbage, and the writers of DS9 for not using the nearly two years of time between starting up with this doc and actually filming the writing session to do ANY research/re-watching of DS9. The best part is, in several scenes of their writing session, you can see that the table they're working around has the DS9 Companion book on it. Closed, obviously.

Oh and while I'm making GBS threads on Ira in the documentary (most of the doc is actually pretty good, if way overly concerned with how much random people hated it), there is a scene where someone attempts to defend DS9's record on LGBTQ issues and brings up Profit and Lace as an example of an episode that "is more relevant today than back then even!" - which Ira shuts down because "it was only one episode and comedy is cheap and easy". As opposed to 'no, that episode was one of our worst and was done in a super offensive manner'.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 30, 2019

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone please take Trek upstate to a farm where it has lots of space and can run free with the other retired shows.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wonder if every single other person who lives in the universe thinks it's unfair that nowhere in the galaxy can you qualify for promotion unless at one point 20 years ago your interstellar flight routed you through that one lovely cardassian airport

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
ALRIGHT, YA FOOKIN' GEEKS.

Continue Star Trek. Give me a premise for Post-Dominion war/Voyager/Nemesis/JJ Abrams horse poo poo romulus blowing up.

For my own money

- Immediately kill off Section 31 before the first season is over.

That's about it, actually. I actually hate Section 31.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone in Starfleet is in Section 31, they just pretend to be ignorant as part of their cover.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

ALRIGHT, YA FOOKIN' GEEKS.

Continue Star Trek. Give me a premise for Post-Dominion war/Voyager/Nemesis/JJ Abrams horse poo poo romulus blowing up.

- a long denouement that explores how the characters come to grips with the aftermath of the conflict, without introducing greater density and intensity of pew pews
- overall positivity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Pick posted:

I wonder if every single other person who lives in the universe thinks it's unfair that nowhere in the galaxy can you qualify for promotion unless at one point 20 years ago your interstellar flight routed you through that one lovely cardassian airport

Pick posted:

- a long denouement that explores how the characters come to grips with the aftermath of the conflict, without introducing greater density and intensity of pew pews
- overall positivity

I dont mean season 8.

I mean this is Star Trek: Postwar. Star Trek: Reconstruction.