Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

MetaJew posted:

A stupid thing that has been bugging me for several years while owning my MS3. The driverside windshield wiper smacks the a-pillar at higher speeds. Is this common? I guess if I knew how to carefully pop off the wiper arm, I could adjust it's off position a few degrees down so that at full speed it didn't hit the A-pillar? Have any of y'all tried doing this?

While I don't have a MS3, to adjust the wiper arm should be an easy affair. You may have to open the hood to see the end of the wiper arm. There may be a small cap covering the end of the wiper arm - pop this off with a flat-head screwdriver. It may also not be covered, either way, there will then be a bolt. Use the correct size socket and ratchet it loose. It may take some initial force with the ratchet since this bolt was never moved after it left the factory. No need to take it completely off, just loose enough for you to then adjust the arm. Then re-tighten the bolt and put the cover back on if there was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I remember mine did that, only when at a really fast speed. I didn't own it long enough to bother fixing it though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've had that happen on a few mazdas, my solution has been to slow down some and turn the wipers down a step. If it rains that hard, odds are you are at risk for hydroplaning anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the guys in the Mazda FB group that had this issue bought a smaller blade and that solves the problem.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've tried unscrewing the nut that clamps the wiper arm onto the actuator but the arm itself seemed pretty tightly pressfit. Maybe I'll try again.

The wiper smacking the pillar mostly happens when I've used the auto/rain sensing function and the wiper turns on to warp speed.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
On that note is it possible to adjust the direction of the windshield washer sprayer nozzles? One of mine practically shoots over the car in a parabolic arc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MC Hawking posted:

On that note is it possible to adjust the direction of the windshield washer sprayer nozzles? One of mine practically shoots over the car in a parabolic arc.

Yeah you can just bend the nozzles with a pin or really small paperclip.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

I've tried unscrewing the nut that clamps the wiper arm onto the actuator but the arm itself seemed pretty tightly pressfit. Maybe I'll try again.

The wiper smacking the pillar mostly happens when I've used the auto/rain sensing function and the wiper turns on to warp speed.

I'm guessing the nut itself doesn't hold the position, it's probably pushed over a star pattern to make it always line up. It still may have some level of adjustment but you'd probably have to take the whole arm off.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

MC Hawking posted:

Consider aiming both over your car for maximum expression in traffic. I once saw a small car do this (might’ve even been a Miata, come to think of it), just lay on the washer fluid for a good 10-20 seconds and piss all over someone who was being a douche on the highway. One of the most hilarious and satisfying things I’ve ever seen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Consider aiming both over your car for maximum expression in traffic. I once saw a small car do this (might’ve even been a Miata, come to think of it), just lay on the washer fluid for a good 10-20 seconds and piss all over someone who was being a douche on the highway. One of the most hilarious and satisfying things I’ve ever seen.

I've seen people do this with headlight washers, it's awesome.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Oh, another stupid 1st Gen MS3 question: I've basically ground down or destroyed the little plastic lip thing that hangs off the front bumper from very steep driveways, and other similar obstacles. Is there a more flexible or alternative lip I can replaceine with that won't look janky? It's strictly cosmetic, but I don't feel like just buying another plastic one from Mazda know that it will probably just get damaged again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh looks like the wiper arm is quite adjustable, I'm too tired to fiddle with it tonight, had to buy a vice grip to get the old broken piece off then walk a bunch of sick dogs etc

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I found a 120k mile '07 MS3 for cheap locally, the guy says it's "throwing a P0300 code under high boost" which is the reason for dumping it cheap.

Anything I can look for when I go check out the car? Or will I just have to tear into it to figure out the problem?

Never touched one of these cars before.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That's a multiple misfire code...could be as simple as needs new plugs or coil(s.)

e: also wouldn't rule out crank position sensor (it's kind of exposed to the elements on these engines) or EGR as possible culprits.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 7, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any thoughts on the lifespan of the stock clutch for a non-Mazdaspeed model? I've noticed my engagement point is quite high up but this one has always been weird. I was driving a WRX (stiff clutch) when I bought the car so didn't realize it :P

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Charles posted:

Any thoughts on the lifespan of the stock clutch for a non-Mazdaspeed model? I've noticed my engagement point is quite high up but this one has always been weird. I was driving a WRX (stiff clutch) when I bought the car so didn't realize it :P

The engagement point doesn’t change in a perceptible way as the clutch wears, so that’s not really an indication of remaining life. My old 6 felt weirdly high at first too, but I got used to it. My ‘15 feels the same. Mazda thing?

If it makes you feel better, my ‘06 6 had 210k miles on the original clutch when I sold it, but I do a ton of highway miles.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Wouldn't the engagement point changing be a sign that the master or slave cylinders are going out?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MetaJew posted:

Wouldn't the engagement point changing be a sign that the master or slave cylinders are going out?

But enough about marriage!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MetaJew posted:

Air in the system can make the engagement point lower, but he’s complaining that it feels high.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I just forgot how it felt cause I hadn't driven it in a little bit.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The clutch in my 2011 non-Speed 3 engages at like the top inch or less of pedal travel. Doesn't ever slip though so I don't know. :iiam:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Iirc you can adjust it? Should be a procedure for it somewhere.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wibla posted:

Iirc you can adjust it? Should be a procedure for it somewhere.

Probably just turning the rod in/out for the master cylinder.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The CX-5 diesel's fuel economy has been published on the EPA website and it's...27 city 30 highway for the 4wd, 28/31 for the 2wd.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40521&id=40521

No information from Mazda on power or availability.

Also posted this in the new car thread.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Charles posted:

The CX-5 diesel's fuel economy has been published on the EPA website and it's...27 city 30 highway for the 4wd, 28/31 for the 2wd.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40521&id=40521

No information from Mazda on power or availability.

Also posted this in the new car thread.

What’s even the point? That’s the same as the gas version, right? And fewer places to fuel up?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

What’s even the point? That’s the same as the gas version, right? And fewer places to fuel up?

Maybe it'll be good at towing. I don't think they meant to have the news break via fueleconomy.gov.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Way more torque, at least based on EU spec numbers. But I agree, unless it's nearly a zero cost upgrade, I'd stick with gas.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Is it a much lower displacement engine than the gas engine? I've never owned a diesel, but I was under the impression that they get much better highway fuel economy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's a 2.2 twin turbo diesel with a very nice torque curve, I have the same engine in a Mazda3 (the 150bhp, 295ft-lb version).

The mazda3 2.2d gets around 40-47 mpg highway depending on speed and conditions, but the CX-5 is heavier with presumably less efficient aerodynamics, though I find 31 mpg hard to believe.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Completely different fuel economy test cycles so you can't compare that way even if the engines are the same as international models (which I somewhat doubt given how long it's taken Mazda)

In New Zealand the stated numbers for the AWD (diesel is AWD only) are 5.7l/100km (41.3mpg) compared to 7.4l/100km (31.8mpg) for the 2.5 petrol but like I said that's based on a very different cycle.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The 40-47 i quoted above is my personal experience :v: its rated at even higher mpg from Mazda, but this is with the European test cycle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey I'm replacing the plastic skidpan and the nuts that are supposed to hold the bolts just spin when I turn the bolt. Is that from the oil change place over tightening it? Do you know what I'm talking about?

I got it off by taking off part of the fender liner but new nut clip things won't be here for a few days.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Here's a pic for reference. That nut shouldn't turn I don't think

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those are called speed nuts and they are definitely not supposed to spin (they are just tack-welded on and the tack weld breaks from rust and also probably impact guns).

You can get them from any car parts store, they are a generic part that tons of cars share. I think Dorman has a few of them in their HELP! line.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those are called speed nuts and they are definitely not supposed to spin (they are just tack-welded on and the tack weld breaks from rust and also probably impact guns).

You can get them from any car parts store, they are a generic part that tons of cars share. I think Dorman has a few of them in their HELP! line.

Oh well, I ordered the Mazda ones cause I wasn't sure and wanted to get to the parts counter before they closed.. Meanwhile, zip-ties. Yeah :[

But in good news

Corksport aluminum skidplan installed, minus a few bolts due to aforementioned broken body hardware. Sorry bout crappy pic, got sick in middle of install (food poisoning?) so wanted to get it on the ground ASAP due to being only halfway in the garage.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I'd be interested to know how you like it. I've been mulling over getting one myself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hattersmad posted:

I'd be interested to know how you like it. I've been mulling over getting one myself.

I'm going to give it a test on some Canadian backcountry roads in the near future. Getting all the bolts lined up on the bumper required a bit of finessing due to 12 years of use making not everything line up quite right. Part of it attaches to the frame itself with some nice beefy bolts which is great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paint testing/progress

Here's how the black looks in direct sunlight. This is three coats.

Here's the door card at one coat

I need to get better and spraying even coats but it's looking pretty drat good for what I want out of it. I'm still not feeling a full dash removal so I'm gonna tarp and tape off the small section to the left of the wheel and see how that turns out painting it in place.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rented an impact driver from Home Depot, took off the nuts blocking the way to my cabin air filter in less than a second. Boy is it dirty in there. There was actually one filter installed, but I think I can put both replacement filters in, but have to do it after dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Charles posted:

Rented an impact driver from Home Depot, took off the nuts blocking the way to my cabin air filter in less than a second. Boy is it dirty in there. There was actually one filter installed, but I think I can put both replacement filters in, but have to do it after dinner.

Should be two, one stacked on the other, first in, slide up, second one in rails on bottom of first. Don’t be afraid to flip and turn them, mine in my 2011 only go one way, the rest is a road to madness in a hot, cramped space.