Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

Whoever vandalized that Totoro sculpture is in big trouble. It's like 80 feet tall.
The sculpture, or the penis? :downsrim:

Also can we tweet back Dos Santos that if 'his Angola' is so strong, why'd he try to bribe us to leave?

Edit: Also don't give your mercs a raise, reddit dudes, I'm sure that's a fabulous idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So what does the Demoratic Republic 9f the Congo need payment for

this strikes me as something we should be investigating.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Agean90 posted:

So what does the Demoratic Republic 9f the Congo need payment for

this strikes me as something we should be investigating.
I'm guessing so they can smuggle their supplies across the border.

Although I'm guessing Jack is going to be going AWOL with the latest payment, which might have some knock-on effects...

sniper4625 posted:

One day OKUSTUDENT will get the advice he dreams of.

Just might be posthumously at this rate.
I want to know why TopDom 1963 doesn't want people reconnecting their phones.

Also at this rate Yooper can just swap out the Fyre Festival reddit page at this point. I suspect the people who were posting (fake) stories there are the kind of people who'd genuinely be caught up in the Free State malarkey.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

One day OKUSTUDENT will get the advice he dreams of.

Just might be posthumously at this rate.

Why doesn't BernDuder2016 stop doing whatever it is he's been doing to keep getting dysentery?

It is good to see that Free State thinks the Kfirs went to South Africa, though they might find out the truth rather rudely.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Coffeehitler posted:

It is good to see that Free State thinks the Kfirs went to South Africa, though they might find out the truth rather rudely.

Given that the SPICE bombs have a 35 nm range and an EO guidance option, I wouldn't keep them anywhere near the east--that's pretty much bang on perfect for Gadfly swatting.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Capital

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Why #bankrupt?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Can we astroturf the free state?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Would we be able to undertake a large scale operation that hits multiple targets as part of our missions? I figure we want to get as much bang for our buck as possible.

So, for example, since we're probably not going to hit the Free state itself much, securing the highway on that front seems like a good call. Swiping their mine would be a nice bonus.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Would we be able to undertake a large scale operation that hits multiple targets as part of our missions? I figure we want to get as much bang for our buck as possible.

So, for example, since we're probably not going to hit the Free state itself much, securing the highway on that front seems like a good call. Swiping their mine would be a nice bonus.

You guys can definitely open up the focus if you see an objective worth striking.

edit But I'm not going to do more than one or two ops. So maybe one quick turnaround and that's it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I like this plan. We use our permissive environment strikers to hit targets there while our SEAD opens the way in the west.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
God dammit Jack stop posting on Reddit

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm starting to think that it makes more sense to wipe out the Free State first and then hook into the capital from the newly vacated and poorly defended east side. This covers our back in the air, possibly opens up the ability to hire some of the Free State's remaining ground forces and - if we do it right - completely wipes out both opposing parties in two missions, thus ending the conflict and leaving Von Hoff in control of 100% of Angola by the time the Chinese show up.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I've got an easy way to decap Free State command - just two targets. Will post when I get home.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

David Corbett posted:

I'm starting to think that it makes more sense to wipe out the Free State first and then hook into the capital from the newly vacated and poorly defended east side. This covers our back in the air, possibly opens up the ability to hire some of the Free State's remaining ground forces and - if we do it right - completely wipes out both opposing parties in two missions, thus ending the conflict and leaving Von Hoff in control of 100% of Angola by the time the Chinese show up.
Yeah, if Jack is still in place right now, if he could get their groundpounder mercs to flip that would be HUGE for us. We already know that they're asking for a raise.

Then again, what if Dos Santos has already paid them off with a chopper full of diamonds to fight for him? :tinfoil:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've updated the Google Working Map. (Thanks again Beer!) It should also work for those of you who it didn't. Please let me know if you continue to have issues.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WpTsgN4ZjD93Kh3EyjavoHjLJQA&usp=sharing

Now with more NATO icons.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hey Yooper can we call up the Free State ground mercs and offer them triple what Reddit's paying to switch sides? Or at least allow themselves to be pushed back a safe distance from the highway?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
More bad news - the coast south of Luanda is the Kissama National Park

I think he's saying 'You monsters'

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 8, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The Dictator is the one who moved his tanks and Gadflies in. Blame him, not us.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

I've updated the Google Working Map. (Thanks again Beer!) It should also work for those of you who it didn't. Please let me know if you continue to have issues.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WpTsgN4ZjD93Kh3EyjavoHjLJQA&usp=sharing

Now with more NATO icons.

What's with the blue SpecOps at Quibala? Spotters?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dude with a cellphone and binoculars watching the runway.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think hitting 2-3 distinct targets is doable,. given our recent boost in numbers.

Taking stock of our combat aircraft, we have:
  • 8 JAS 39C Gripen
  • 6 F-4 Phantom II
  • 4 Tornado IDS
  • 4 Kfir C.1
  • 2 Mirage F1.CR
  • 1 Su-25 Frogfoot
  • 2 AMX A-11
  • 1 Hawk 209
  • 5 SK 60Bs
  • 1 EA-6B Prowler
  • 1 MQ-9 Reaper

And our SPAA and SAMs:
  • 1 I-HAWK
  • 2 SA-22
  • 2 ZSU-23-4

With all this in mind, we have enough to run two CAS operations, a small-scale deep strike, and provide it all with a CAP. Something like this:

We can forward deploy the I-Hawks, the SA-22s, and the ZSU-23s to provide extra air cover for our aircraft. Might even be a good idea to move some to protect our flank from Free State air incursions.

SEAD Package WHITE* (1x MQ-9 Reaper, 1x EA-6B Prowler with four jammers and one HARM, 4x Kifr C.10 with two SPICE 1000 bombs each)
CAS Package CRIMSON (2x AMX A-11 with two JDAMs each, 2x Saudi Tornadoes with twelve Brimstone missiles each, 1x SU-25 Frogfoot with four KAB-500Kr bombs, 1x Hawk 209 with two Mavericks, five SK 60Bs with rockets)

SEAD Package PURPLE* (1x Sperwer UAV, 4x Gripens with eight GBU-39 SBDs each)
CAS Package YELLOW (2x Mirage F1.CR with two AS.30L missiles each, 6x F-4 Phantom IIs with GBU-24 bombs each)

Strike Package GREEN (2x Tornado IDS with Taurus cruise missiles)

EAST CAP (2x Gripens with max Meteor loadout)
WEST CAP (2x Gripens with max Meteor loadout)

AEW&C (1x Argus 100B)

*If SEAD aircraft don't spot any SAMs, radars, or AAA, they're free to join in the CAS mission.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 8, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Davin Valkri posted:

The Dictator is the one who moved his tanks and Gadflies in. Blame him, not us.
Actually, looks like they're one the Northern edge of the wildlife preserves, so as long as we're careful we should be OK.

Crazycryodude posted:

Dude with a cellphone and binoculars watching the runway.
Makes sense. Well done that man (or woman)!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Hey Yooper can we call up the Free State ground mercs and offer them triple what Reddit's paying to switch sides? Or at least allow themselves to be pushed back a safe distance from the highway?

Right now it's about a 30 to 1 ratio of Northern Angola Free State Troops to each mercenary. These folks will stick about until they've gotten a good enough pounding.

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's with the blue SpecOps at Quibala? Spotters?

That's our dude that was at Kuito Airfield. He'll get eyes on a few SA-11's.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Yooper posted:

Right now it's about a 30 to 1 ratio of Northern Angola Free State Troops to each mercenary. These folks will stick about until they've gotten a good enough pounding.

Nnn...I still wanna at least try a partial eastern push to secure the highway, along with the coastal CAS. That'll make the capital attack so much easier.

Also pay our cell phone man ten times what he's getting right now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

Wait, I thought those dudes were mostly draftees? Or are there a bunch of dyed-in-the-wool true belivers in the regular troops. Oh god, the Redditors are playing soldier, that's adorable!

Surely we could encourage a few defections, at least? Are there likely to be many more dudes crossing the lines now the Regime forces aren't in the way?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

We should put up signs.

"Free wifi and hot water, this way."

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Davin Valkri posted:

Nnn...I still wanna at least try a partial eastern push to secure the highway, along with the coastal CAS. That'll make the capital attack so much easier.

Also pay our cell phone man ten times what he's getting right now.

I'm with you on this, if we can at least secure the highway we stall the Free State and have a clear line of transportation for our troops and supplies for the final push to the capital.

Maybe we should send our SK60Bs out there? Drop some ordinance on some tanks and force them to pull back? My only concern with that is they might unleash the SMARFs and that would probably tie up our Gripens which are proving really good Strike craft with their SDBs.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Loel posted:

We should put up signs.

"Free wifi and hot water, this way."

don't forget the tp and anti-diarrheals

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, I thought those dudes were mostly draftees? Or are there a bunch of dyed-in-the-wool true belivers in the regular troops. Oh god, the Redditors are playing soldier, that's adorable!

Surely we could encourage a few defections, at least? Are there likely to be many more dudes crossing the lines now the Regime forces aren't in the way?

Mostly draftees yes, sold on the bread and circus pony show from the Free State. There are very few actual Free State immigrants (or reddigrants as they call themselves so as not to confuse themselves with actual "immigrants") fighting against the Dictator. Most come in, pull the lasso on the artillery or fire a 12.7 at a target (water buffalo) a mile away, and go back up north. We already get defections, lots from the Dictators forces in the east, not so many now that they've consolidated.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
As I see it, we have four main axes of attack we could take toward the capital:

1) Straight up the coast, through Sumbe, Porto Amboin, Caboledo and the entire southern outskirts of Luanda. This involves some fairly major river crossings, particularly across the Cuanza (~800ft) and Rio Longa (~200ft). Not exactly the Danube or Volga, but they're pretty major rivers. The roads go through quite a bit of light urban terrain in Sumbe, Porto Amboin and Caboledo. We would be focusing on this route if we go for the coastal CAS.
2) Up from Alto Hama and straight down the middle through Quibala, Cambabe, Zenza do Itombe.
3) Along the right hand side of the dictator's territory through Andulo, Mussende and then across temporarily into Free State territory through Malanje, before cutting west to Cambambe and up Route 2 from there.
4) Going through Free State territory - Cuembe to Dumba to Malanje and then up Route 2 from there.

I'm going to talk more about these options later when I get some time.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Honestly I think we need to just do a more conservative repeat of the previous op. Cautious and incremental SEAD tightly co-ordinated with the jammer to flush out and destroy the double digit Sam's and sanitise the airspace so we can send in the older non-standoff attackers for CAS.

Deep strikes with cruise missiles are a waste of sorties and as we have seen Tunguska/Sa-11 can pretty much shoot them down all day.

We also saw the dictator had f-16C on standby so we need continuous CAP from Gripens and AWACS support at all times.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yvonmukluk posted:

doesn't want people reconnecting their phones.

Maybe he is worried about someone calling them, triangulating their location and bombing/missiling/etc them

Dunno if that'd actually work.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe he is worried about someone calling them, triangulating their location and bombing/missiling/etc them

Dunno if that'd actually work.

If we were a front for the CIA like what the redditors keep posting or hired that Tom Clancy Spyware guy, it might've.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Bacarruda posted:

I think hitting 2-3 distinct targets is doable,. given our recent boost in numbers.

Taking stock of our combat aircraft, we have:
  • 8 JAS 39C Gripen
  • 6 F-4 Phantom II
  • 4 Tornado IDS
  • 4 Kfir C.1
  • 2 Mirage F1.CR
  • 1 Su-25 Frogfoot
  • 2 AMX A-11
  • 1 Hawk 209
  • 5 SK 60Bs
  • 1 EA-6B Prowler
  • 1 MQ-9 Reaper

And our SPAA and SAMs:
  • 1 I-HAWK
  • 2 SA-22
  • 2 ZSU-23-4

With all this in mind, we have enough to run two CAS operations, a small-scale deep strike, and provide it all with a CAP. Something like this:

I believe that Huambo is still shut down, but I could be wrong. Other than that, looks pretty good.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Yooper, can you update the asset list? I want to know exactly what Kfirs we have.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Yooper, can you update the asset list? I want to know exactly what Kfirs we have.

It's updated. The Kfirs are on the bottom of the list.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Yooper posted:

It's updated. The Kfirs are on the bottom of the list.

Ah thanks, didn't see it.

Those SPICE 1000s look really good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I decided to inflict share my writing with the thread again. Let me know if there's anything that needs cutting out Yooper, I tried to build on what we knew about Von Hoff's forces without putting them into a box. I figure somebody has got to be writing human-interest stories, even in the middle of a civil war.

The Guardian Online, June 30, 2023: The Three Angolas, part 6: The Idealist posted:

The latest in our ongoing series examining the stories of some of the ordinary people embroiled in the ongoing Angolan Civil War.
Benjamim Delgado was born in Lobito, only recently liberated from the Regime. His parents fled the country and the persecution of the Dos Santos regime when he was only 5 years old, and he grew up in Sweden, a country that seemed so different from Angola. However, despite the jarring transition, the Delgado family managed to assimilate well, and Benjamim soon came to love this new country. But he never truly forgot his homeland. In his teens, he became active in community organising for fellow emigres, a keen follower of whatever news came out of the nation, and even as he built a career, got married and started a family of his own, he always hoped that he might one day be allowed to return to the land of his birth.

The outbreak of the civil war marked his opportunity to do so. While the southern regions had thrown off the occupation of the Dos Santos regime, there was a vacuum in public services that needed to be filled. While some of the administrative apparatus remained in place, there were many vacancies created as a result of the mass instability, as supporters of the regime fled northward in the face of potential reprisal. A civic & traffic engineer by trade, he was one of many exiles who returned to his homeland in its hour of need to step into the gap. In Sweden, most of his work was based around urban planning, but now he finds himself focusing instead on helping provide Angolans with food and water, helping coordinate the ‘Road of Hope’ that runs supplies from the coast to the remote eastern regions of the Free Angolan territory to fight the famine. As Free Angolan forces push northward, his role has shifted to help coordinate reconstruction of infrastructure damaged in the fighting as the front lines advance and to integrate the liberated areas and populations. The work has been difficult and often thankless, but he nonetheless continues to do all he can for his countrymen. Although the resources are often limited, Delgado is not dismayed. If he had wanted the easy life, he says, he could have stayed in Sweden; but his country needs him.

While he is hopeful that the fighting will end soon, he is concerned by the prospect of the United Nations intervention, and that the gains for which so many of his countrymen have fought and died for will be arbitrarily disregarded by outsiders. While he acknowledges such a position might seem hypocritical at first glance (the Free Angola movement is after all primarily bankrolled by Count Vidas Von Hoff and relies upon Hayerd-Gunes PMC to act as their air force), he emphasizes that the overall movement is one built upon the desires of the Angolan people – in contrast to the Free State in the north, another foreign intervention, which seems to rely almost exclusively upon mercenary forces. He does, however, have some respect for the idea of the United Nations, if nothing else – one of the few luxuries he brought with him to Angola was a copy of Dag Hammarskjöld’s Markings in the original Swedish. He hopes that the United Nations will follow the late secretary-general’s example and do the right thing for Angolans, and not simply bend to the whims of the superpowers.

Delgado is not sure what he will do after the war – if, as he hopes, the Provisional Government will be recognised as the legitimate government, he would consider remaining. He has a strong belief in that shared vision that binds them all – one of building an Angola that uses the dividends from its Lithium trade to build a strong and stable democracy to stand the test of time. He could use his training to develop Angola’s cities as this metamorphosis takes form. Perhaps he might even run for office. However, he does have other responsibilities. His wife, Lisbeth – a native Swede – and their 9-month-old daughter are still in Malmö, and he recognises that asking them to move from the stability of Sweden to Angola may be too much to ask. If nothing else, he would like to bring her back to Angola to visit one day, and hope that it will be a better place than when he left it. In an ideal world, he says, his daughter would have the same potential quality of life in Angola as she would in Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Just for fun, I looked at possible upgrades to our airframes without buying a whole new bird. Heres what I got.

Upgrade:
39C Grippen to 39E
IDS Tornado to GR4
SK 60B to SK 60W
SU 25 to SU 25KM
Kfir C.10 to Block60