Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Getting DD’d in a blackbird in 2008 in Delve I was pretty cool. When it came on grid I metaphorically poo poo myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Torpedoes used to be AoE? :stare:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Dalael posted:

What's a killboard again? -Logi bros.

It's that thing that wins us all our objective timers because PAPI are too scared to look bad on it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ynglaur posted:

small aoe yes. they also only traveled at 1k/sec and were long range so would take forever. long line of big blobs floating tward a target.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
cavalry ravens traveling at the exact speed of torps from 200km out so they all land at once

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

cavalry ravens traveling at the exact speed of torps from 200km out so they all land at once

Reminds me of doing bombing runs in DarkSpace, a competitor game at the time.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
how do you counterplay a jamming ship if you cant shoot at it like please explain how that was good game design before

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Grinch posted:

how do you counterplay a jamming ship if you cant shoot at it like please explain how that was good game design before

If a sensor damping ship is at 70km, which they always are if they're smart, it's effectively identical to old ECM The counter play is having your buddies shoot them, or to fit mods that reduce the odds of being jammed. I'm not saying the exact way the old ECM was, is great game design. But the new ECM is so useless you almost never see it.

Maybe make two versions of single ECM, one that follows the current rules and has the same strength/range, and then perhaps a "focused" ECM with less range, but follows the old system. I'd also like to point out that with the ECCM being scripts now, that sigamps and sensor boosters are universal counters to damps and ECM, rather than being a discreet mod that nobody ever fit like it used to be. Or perhaps there should be a quick minigame that pops up when you get jammed, where if you do the butans properly it breaks the jam and lets you re-lock. Call it recalibrating your sensors to a different frequency or something.

I'm just spitballin there but the current ECM meta sucks, and you practically never see ECM ships out in the wild anymore.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
ecm can still jam people off ihubs so yes it does get used

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Remember when you could lay down mines?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

let's be real, did ecm really need the nerf?

Ynglaur posted:

Dalmuti posted:

EVE Classic please. If its a full economy reset I promise to give you money for at least a year CCP

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Dalmuti posted:

And get concordokkened for it!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The worst part of jamming is when the jam drips down your monitor.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Ynglaur posted:

Go far enough back, would you believe they were often launched by Typhoons often travelling over 6km/s, nossing the target while keeping them warp scramed?

Those were the days. Bring back gate instas, or something something...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Get rid of drone bandwidth and bring back Dominix Supremacy

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Mr. Grinch posted:

there are like 6 modules and 2 weapon systems that can apply to a jamming ship

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rutibex posted:

Get rid of drone bandwidth and bring back Dominix Supremacy

yes give me back that 7 heavy drone thorax please and thank you

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

there are like 6 modules and 2 weapon systems that can apply to a jamming ship

sure, I specifically meant what are you supposed to do against the guy permanently preventing you from targeting anything, himself included. I think it makes sense to allow the jammed ship to at least target the guy preventing them from shooting at anyone else, given that the ECM ship is presumably positioned in such a way to mitigate getting immediately owned by the ship theyre jamming.

also personally I think complete target prevention is bad and ECM would be cooler if it was merely more powerful versions of reduction in tracking/lock range rather than "you cant shoot at anything, gently caress you"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like those ships need a total overhaul at this point. A lot of skill investment went poof after those changes. My poor scorp :(

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mr. Grinch posted:

sure, I specifically meant what are you supposed to do against the guy permanently preventing you from targeting anything, himself included. I think it makes sense to allow the jammed ship to at least target the guy preventing them from shooting at anyone else, given that the ECM ship is presumably positioned in such a way to mitigate getting immediately owned by the ship theyre jamming.

also personally I think complete target prevention is bad and ECM would be cooler if it was merely more powerful versions of reduction in tracking/lock range rather than "you cant shoot at anything, gently caress you"

Allowing the jammer to get targeted has a reverse effect. If a solo ship fits ECM and gets caught by a fast ship with a point, they might try to use ECM to break the tackle's lock. Except the ECM doesn't break the lock and it's now an entirely useless mod fit to the ship, unless you're looking to drain extra cap.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't with ECM balancing. Either it's extremely powerful, or it's a useless mod unless used in very niche cases in fleets.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Make the jammer not show up on overview and you have to click them in space to lock them.

Mostly because I want to see somebody hunt for the one Griffin in a ball of 200 of them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Floppychop posted:

Make the jammer not show up on overview and you have to click them in space to lock them.

Mostly because I want to see somebody hunt for the one Griffin in a ball of 200 of them.
Control-drag a box around the whole fleet in space.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

ECM should take a page from IRL radar jamming and spawn a bunch of identical overview and space "ghost" contacts that fade in and out.

Hope you're shooting at the right one, it's an 18% chance!

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

Allowing the jammer to get targeted has a reverse effect. If a solo ship fits ECM and gets caught by a fast ship with a point, they might try to use ECM to break the tackle's lock. Except the ECM doesn't break the lock and it's now an entirely useless mod fit to the ship, unless you're looking to drain extra cap.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't with ECM balancing. Either it's extremely powerful, or it's a useless mod unless used in very niche cases in fleets.

I feel like this is a bit like saying fitting a web and scram is pointless because it doesnt keep you from getting pointed yourself. even if you werent flying an ECM ship, isnt getting caught extremely bad?
In my prior example I was saying there is counterplay provided youre staying outside the range where you could just get instantly hosed; your example starts with that as a baseline

Edit: also I wasnt talking about solo necessarily, I understand that jamming is pointless in a 1v1

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 3, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Control-drag a box around the whole fleet in space.

No dragging, have to click the exact ship.

MRC48B posted:

ECM should take a page from IRL radar jamming and spawn a bunch of identical overview and space "ghost" contacts that fade in and out.

This is a much better idea.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

MRC48B posted:

this is unironically a cool idea

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
I love that idea.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

join hole squad

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

join hole squad

is that what we call furnoks chest now?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ded posted:

is that what we call furnoks chest now?

[03:00:33] Aiden Erhmentraut > So he's be great at parties as a mobile dip station

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mr. Grinch posted:

Edit: also I wasnt talking about solo necessarily, I understand that jamming is pointless in a 1v1

Yeah I get you weren't talking about solo, but it was A Thing at one point to try and at least counter getting jumped. In 1v1+ now, don't even bother with it.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

oh i would probably only fly a Scorpion in a tidi slog just to grief as many enemies as possible
otherwise im gunboat all the way

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Mr. Grinch posted:

no

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Globby, stay out of the grownup discussion. We all know you love nothing more than to gank defenseless target and any that escapes is enough to make you whine for months about how you cant kill anything.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Like, you are a great player but when it comes to any kind of balance, you are way too loving biased.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Dalael posted:

Globby, stay out of the grownup discussion. We all know you love nothing more than to gank defenseless target and any that escapes is enough to make you whine for months about how you cant kill anything.

you're stupid

imagine falling for the cringe pubbie propaganda

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Given that CCP 2022 seem largely incapable of doing anything other than changing numbers on a spreadsheet, my own dumb idea is to have ECM be like it used to be but drop the range drastically, to around 10km. That means instead of being anti-everything it becomes like an inverse sensor dampener, so it acts as a specific counter to the close range preferences of the Gallente, their racial foe, and forces those opponents to engage at a longer range that plays into the hands of Caldari sniping doctrines. And it can be implemented in five minutes of code adjustment.

I realise that point blank brawling is underpowered in fleet combat already but that's a whole separate issue to tackle.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

you're stupid

imagine falling for the cringe pubbie propaganda

Im basing this on cringe pubbie propaganda alright. Years worth of your posting.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Dalael posted:

Im basing this on cringe pubbie propaganda alright. Years worth of your posting.

ok atlantis racist guy

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Given that CCP 2022 seem largely incapable of doing anything other than changing numbers on a spreadsheet, my own dumb idea is to have ECM be like it used to be but drop the range drastically, to around 10km. That means instead of being anti-everything it becomes like an inverse sensor dampener, so it acts as a specific counter to the close range preferences of the Gallente, their racial foe, and forces those opponents to engage at a longer range that plays into the hands of Caldari sniping doctrines. And it can be implemented in five minutes of code adjustment.

I realise that point blank brawling is underpowered in fleet combat already but that's a whole separate issue to tackle.

just revert it to how it was

it was better that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

ded posted:

yes give me back that 7 heavy drone thorax please and thank you

i thought it was 8?

edit: yeah, it was 8 heavy drones in a thorax way back when