Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

they really aren't, considering 50%+ of eve players have 1 or fewer pvp death a year.

This doesn't mean what you think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I think it means exactly what he implied. That 50%+ of players are basically engaged in an instanced game, isolated from the rest of the playerbase in what is supposed to be an open, dangerous sandbox. Not a series of linked sandboxes with early warning radars and every tool available to insulate yourself from PvP

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
small gang PVPers are actually the least risk adverse players because after 3 hours or nothing but tethered supers and empty systems you will basically feed to anything that will undock

this game was better when you couldn’t drop a functionally indestructible structure on any grid you wanted for basically no cost

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

I think it means exactly what he implied. That 50%+ of players are basically engaged in an instanced game, isolated from the rest of the playerbase in what is supposed to be an open, dangerous sandbox. Not a series of linked sandboxes with early warning radars and every tool available to insulate yourself from PvP

Nah. You're ignoring the biggest chunk which is people sitting in lowsec gates in pimped out vultures who safe up the moment anything except a hauler shows up on either side of the gate. Or something similar.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

CainFortea posted:

This doesn't mean what you think it means.

Mederlock posted:

yeah i mean it's very clearly a direct counter to the previous claim, people who seek out pvp engagements are a minority of eve, the majority of which don't even engage in more than 1 pvp loss a year.

don't confuse the small gang/solo player's ability to recognize a losing fight and being risk averse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can go in any mission hub that contains level 3 and 4s and local is going to be 50 players deep, the nearest system with a NPC research station will have maybe 5 people in it at peak.

I still think the announcement is jove space opening up, and it will all be 0.0 + NPC stations with jove agents. Maybe a month of small gangs scanning down and feeding on mission runners and 6 months of fights over who gets to own the space.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

yeah i mean it's very clearly a direct counter to the previous claim, people who seek out pvp engagements are a minority of eve, the majority of which don't even engage in more than 1 pvp loss a year.

don't confuse the small gang/solo player's ability to recognize a losing fight and being risk averse.
Small gang PvPers either only take fights they are assured to win or fly with poo poo so cheap there’s no risk in losing it.

The scrappy small gang going out looking for good fights is and always has been a myth. People like winning way more than they like fair fights.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's a small market of "PvP vets with lots of disposable isk who like multiboxing" but it's there. If factional warfare or official war decs are not an option then as I said, it's a sandbox, create your own diplomatic incident and start a war.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

A bout of insomnia had lulled me into participating in a very quintessential AUTZ brawl over a fortizar hull timer last night. The fort lays on the border of Feythabolis in a krab constellation just a few systems from GEF staging in Omist, and belongs to Star Trails Alliance that rents the majority of this vestigial space from xxxLegionofdeathxxx, who were only recently cleared out of Feyth.

As the timer hit its pre-Tidi 30 min countdown, the renters and the landlords sat tethered in a force of 100+ Muninn-adjacents and a dozen or so Tempest battleships. The head slumlord had just finished passing out his name-branded condoms to his seemingly impotent fleet as Dracarys/Initiative/GSF jumped in with a force of 300+ split 3-way between Cerberi/bashing battleships of Amarrian flavor/and you guessed it - more Muninns.

About a fifth into fortizarus deletus, the defenders get unsurprise reinforcements from the first half of Panfam with two 100+ armor HAC fleets from Fraternity that decide to yeet at zero on the blue bashing battleships to begin their counter-dicking. Everyone comes off tether and a good ol' bar brawl ensues a few hundred kilometers off the space outhouse with everyone and their alt enthusiastically lobbing whatever munitions they brought at the enemy. But the exclusivity of this HAC Online is short lived and GSF carriers are cynoed in nearby to eagerly launch their loads of fighter into the monkey fight.

Ships are dying Cloud, Fort is not. Near the end of the repair timer, the little fort is sitting with most of its hull intact and the Imperium still has capitals on grid and now the second half of Panfam bravely cynoes in 150+ Phorde dudes in Cerbs to try to relive the days of the blue donut and to signal the end of the fight.

https://br.evetools.org/br/626bdaa8bf6f8d0133d68465

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dik Hz posted:

Small gang PvPers either only take fights they are assured to win or fly with poo poo so cheap there’s no risk in losing it.

The scrappy small gang going out looking for good fights is and always has been a myth. People like winning way more than they like fair fights.

Hole Squad was the mythical scrappy small gang and boy did we make people mad with it.

The calculus was always "Do we have a chance?" and if we all died, welp rip.

However this experience is unique and most solo/small-gang peevip nerds are incredibly risk averse (not adverse, that's a different thing) to where they definitely won't take a fight they have any chance of losing.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

dragonshardz posted:

Hole Squad was the mythical scrappy small gang and boy did we make people mad with it.

The calculus was always "Do we have a chance?" and if we all died, welp rip.

However this experience is unique and most solo/small-gang peevip nerds are incredibly risk averse (not adverse, that's a different thing) to where they definitely won't take a fight they have any chance of losing.

Hole Squad truly was the pinnacle of eve fun tbh.

Wormholes are still pretty good, not as active as they once were but it's really not hard to find content if you roll the chain once or twice a night. Can make 1b an hour in a single marauder running C5s until you get ganked or you roll into good PVP content and it's there for you.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Dik Hz posted:

incorrect, i frequently took fights i wasn't sure of winning

so you're just factually wrong

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Coming back from AFK recently and don't see myself returning to Imperium anytime soon, so interested in selling or trading the following in Delve NPC:

2x Rev
1x Rorqual
1x Charon

Priced towards the bottom of public contracts. Also interested in trading ships in Delve for equivalent ships in empire, especially if it's closer to Pure Blind. Rev -> Nag near Pure Blind trade also interesting.

LMK if interested!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

incorrect, i frequently took fights i wasn't sure of winning

so you're just factually wrong

taking fights that you aren't sure of winning might be a specifically goon thing. the rest of EVE is - as demonstrated by the past war - terminally afraid of loss.

Enemu posted:

Hole Squad truly was the pinnacle of eve fun tbh.

Wormholes are still pretty good, not as active as they once were but it's really not hard to find content if you roll the chain once or twice a night. Can make 1b an hour in a single marauder running C5s until you get ganked or you roll into good PVP content and it's there for you.

one of my longtime favorite moments was doing sites in a passivesnake and like 3-4 T2s plus support uncloaked. call out on comms for help, and then realized they couldn't break my shield regen.

got out eventually, laughing and heart pounding.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

dragonshardz posted:

taking fights that you aren't sure of winning might be a specifically goon thing. the rest of EVE is - as demonstrated by the past war - terminally afraid of loss.

one of my longtime favorite moments was doing sites in a passivesnake and like 3-4 T2s plus support uncloaked. call out on comms for help, and then realized they couldn't break my shield regen.

got out eventually, laughing and heart pounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzoJyLOcGuk

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

They could make a hacking game on filaments then you can get in, hunt, and kill the dude, but still need to get out before the 15 minutes is up.

Maybe one you intrude in the instance the pve guy gets a notice, maybe not!

That would be really cool. I've thought for a long time the hacking mini game concept was underutilized. Maybe hacking a filament isn't the same exact game, but do something where the jacket is exposed amd risks getting caught, but also a chance to mess up a runner early.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

dragonshardz posted:

active d-scan pinging that makes you easier to scan down would be amazing

Full sensor / counter-sensor play free be amazing. It would need a different dev team, though. They got so close when they started putting anomaly icons in the main window. Imagine seeing signature tracks multiple AUs out but not knowing what exactly they were (at least without good skills and Active scanning), or even how many shops were in a given signature.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

Full sensor / counter-sensor play free be amazing. It would need a different dev team, though. They got so close when they started putting anomaly icons in the main window. Imagine seeing signature tracks multiple AUs out but not knowing what exactly they were (at least without good skills and Active scanning), or even how many shops were in a given signature.

EVE is literally a submarine game so why they don't have active/passive sensor gameplay is a mystery to me!

it would be so cool, like, the stuff where scan res and strength interplay is neat but there should be more to it than just slippery petes

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm 100% ok with needing to do crazy ivan's now and again while ratting to ensure i'm not being tracked

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want them to remove all the warp core and target lock mods so I can watch the official forums burn.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

dragonshardz posted:

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find people willing to just yolo into ships, income generation in EVE is only palatable if you have enough to shrug off an incurred loss.

The average 'small gang' pilot with any ability will recognize a fight that is unwinnable, and just not take it. The best method for 'organic' fight generation involves eyes of some sort on your potential target, and multiple avenues of attack (i.e. not showing up with your full force initially, and waiting for the escalation). There's a lot of payoff for the patient pvpers in EVE, but... CCP has done such a great job at hamstringing reasons to be in space to begin with, it's hard to find targets or it requires roaming to the point that a lot of people simply can't be bothered.

Wormholers and filament roamers have a decent chance of a surprise attack, but after the initial strike, pilots are going to dock up and wait for home defense, while those sneaky bois loot the field and roll the hole.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

EVE $20.22 - Watching Feyth Burn

e.vvv Undoubtedly there's plenty of unexplored potential within the new region, just making sure I haven't Omist anything.

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 30, 2022

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

EVE $20.22 - Watching Feyth Burn

We're in omist now swetty.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Xolve posted:

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find people willing to just yolo into ships, income generation in EVE is only palatable if you have enough to shrug off an incurred loss.

That and some of those who don't care about isk anymore do care about killboards. Something that you aren't favored but might be winnable? Sure. Hopeless? Nah.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
did they raise the prices yet?

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Dik Hz posted:

Dude, chill. 2004 wasn't some halcyon era of Eve developers making good decisions and creating good content. They were even worse back then. 2004 Eve was a really bad game.

It was terrible but a lot of fun, because at least it was chaotic-awful instead of carebear-awful. Ships that die in seconds, AoE torpedoes, loving arcane ECM cycling mechanics or whatever that was - just general mayhem and violence.

Dunno, I've been winning EvE for a long time, but the push for more of this instanced & insulated stuff that started way back (at the latest the first time they considered touching L4s in high sec, and everybody lost their poo poo) definitely makes modern EvE objectively worse than what came before. Or if we're being diplomatic: It is for a different crowd now. A dumb crowd that likes worse things.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I actually really miss the old ECM. I did so many things because of Falcon

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kesper North posted:

It was some of the most fun I’ve had in a game but I can’t defend the mechanics. Decloaking at 250km and completely shutting down five other ships with no counterplay was great for me but bad for the game.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

It was terrible but a lot of fun, because at least it was chaotic-awful instead of carebear-awful. Ships that die in seconds, AoE torpedoes, loving arcane ECM cycling mechanics or whatever that was - just general mayhem and violence.

Dunno, I've been winning EvE for a long time, but the push for more of this instanced & insulated stuff that started way back (at the latest the first time they considered touching L4s in high sec, and everybody lost their poo poo) definitely makes modern EvE objectively worse than what came before. Or if we're being diplomatic: It is for a different crowd now. A dumb crowd that likes worse things.
Nah. Regardless of your thoughts on game design, working servers are a prerequisite for an online game. The servers are actually functional now.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

raminasi posted:

It was some of the most fun I’ve had in a game but I can’t defend the mechanics. Decloaking at 250km and completely shutting down five other ships with no counterplay was great for me but bad for the game.

They nerfed ECM waaaaay too hard. I was ready to do jamming when I answered the horn, then found out that if you jam someone they can still target you just fine. Like there's some eye-of-the-hurricane in the jamming signal that they can still lock you through. :ccp:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Vilgan posted:

That and some of those who don't care about isk anymore do care about killboards. Something that you aren't favored but might be winnable? Sure. Hopeless? Nah.

I didn't understand people who cared about killboards 10 years ago, I still don't understand them today.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
With this semester coming to an end soon, I'm so ready to log in for more than just collecting a daily reward once in a while. Ready for some good ole ship spinning.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kesper North posted:

One of my favourite memories of old Eve was sitting alone in the middle of a 5-ship Mercenary Coalition gang in a falcon, permajamming everyone.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Roller Coast Guard posted:

One of my favourite memories of old Eve was sitting alone in the middle of a 5-ship Mercenary Coalition gang in a falcon, permajamming everyone.

ahhh so you were one of thoooose guys.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Learn to love damps instead. :smug:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
unnerf RSD, give the Proteus a better bonus, The Terror of Space Potato

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

let's be real, did ecm really need the nerf?

why did they nerf it, it was so loving fun

ccp nerfing everything that isn't formulaic boring gameplay

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 1, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They nerfed the boring formulaic gameplay as well.

CCP don't know how to do balance any more, there is no seasaw where they take a little from one thing because it's OP and murdering the game but then give a bit of something else back, so as not to piss off all the players who have dumped skills/talents/SP/time into the current flavour of the month. What makes this so bad for eve is that most other games let you reskill with minimum effort, with CCP you have to spend a huge amount of real life money for skill extractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Xolve posted:

I didn't understand people who cared about killboards 10 years ago, I still don't understand them today.

What's a killboard again? -Logi bros.