Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Freaks and Geeks was another show that famously took ages to get a dvd release as the creators were adamant that the music remained intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

quote:

*This page has been formatted to look correct using a setting for the Proportional font of: Times New Roman - size:10. Adjust your browser's font settings appropriately.

There's almost certainly better sites than this but this one feels the most appropriate, thank you.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Freaks and Geeks was another show that famously took ages to get a dvd release as the creators were adamant that the music remained intact

I can’t remember if I was watching it on hulu or what, but I wish they’d pushed to keep the music intact for Sports Night too. (I have the DVDs but I’m honestly not sure what they did for those.)

Totally ruins it when a music-heavy scene comes up and it’s changed because I can’t stop going “wait, this isn’t right” long enough to process it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats something I just remembered.

90s as gently caress: Flipping channels and keeping (in my case, Canada) Much Music in the regular rotation to try and catch a video for a song you liked.

Like Much was Channel 29 for me, so it'd be like: Channel 20 program, commercial, Channel 29 looking for a good video, nothing?, channel 32 for the "other" show, commercial there? Channel 29 again looking for a good video, back to channel 20 and so on.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

It happened with The Wonder Years, and the Batman show from the 60s.

WKRP in Cincinnati too.

I didn't have cable growing up, a combination of being kinda poor, being skinflints, and living in rural NEOhio. So the closest thing I had to MTV back then was MuchMusic being played by a low power independent station, and the reception was terrible on the best days. I kinda almost got to see poo poo like the Foo Fighters' "Big Me" video, I guess...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

I think most cable channels were just random stuff in the early days. I mean, there's that Simpsons episode where the Cable Ace award goes to old Starsky and Hutch episodes.

Yeah, off the top of my head I can think of YCDTOT, David the Gnome, Maya the Bee, that weird anime Grimm Fairy tales anthology series, and a few French/Japanese animated shows being peak 80s Nickelodeon.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

90s as gently caress: Flipping channels and keeping (in my case, Canada) Much Music in the regular rotation to try and catch a video for a song you liked.

Like Much was Channel 29 for me, so it'd be like: Channel 20 program, commercial, Channel 29 looking for a good video, nothing?, channel 32 for the "other" show, commercial there? Channel 29 again looking for a good video, back to channel 20 and so on.

Channel surfing in general got relegated to the 90's since guides were added and HD TV feeds made loading each channel take longer. It used to be the channel would change as quickly as you could hit the button, but now, it takes a second or two for the channel to appear and remotes buffer button presses more than a bad Dark Souls clone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OutOfPrint posted:

Channel surfing in general got relegated to the 90's since guides were added and HD TV feeds made loading each channel take longer. It used to be the channel would change as quickly as you could hit the button, but now, it takes a second or two for the channel to appear and remotes buffer button presses more than a bad Dark Souls clone.

One thing about 90's cable boxes; the Back button that switched to the previous channel you were watching was your best goddamn friend late at night :ninja:.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing about 90's cable boxes; the Back button that switched to the previous channel you were watching was your best goddamn friend late at night :ninja:.

I had one TV with a weird quirk, it would go back to the last channel you input directly. Like if you input 23, then surfed around a bit, if you pressed the back button it would go back to 23. Here's the weirdest part (if I'm remembering how the wonky thing worked) if you pressed it again, it would go back to the channel you first pressed it on. I think. It just worked slightly off from every other TV I ever used at any rate.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The most 90s thing I know of is the "let's rap about fire safety" instructional video, with Jason Alexander for extra 90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbEejp3Cwg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
MMmmmmmmmmmm yes gently caress symmetry, uniform fonts and sizes, and color balance. Inject that 90s aesthetic right into my loving veins.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Winklebottom posted:

*cough* The King Turd Collection *cough*
This is the correct answer.
Also I desperately want someone to take the video from the Daria DVDs and re-edit it with the original music.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

can't remember if I posted this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PzUBFKBz_w

kind of forgotten now, but this was a massive, massive hit

bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyKJAtDNCw

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jan 8, 2019

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Possibly the most popular song written by a pedophile after a teenage girl had his miscarriage.

Erm, allegedly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh god drat it

i like that song, too

:negative:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

cable boxes;

This just reminded me of something, that probably doesn't matter to anyone but me cause like seriously, who gives a gently caress or whatever.. .......

We had a cable box made by Lindsay Electronics, made in Lindsay Ontario. Which also happened to be where my brother (and later I) went to college. Well turned out that the remote control got all hosed up from being dropped, thrown around etc. and it was a big deal that when we brought my brother to, or from, whatever, we stopped at the "manufacturer's" store to get a new remote. We ended up getting two, and my parents put one away in a drawer. When my grand parents would come out for a weekend or something to take care of us, if my parents were away, or during christmas or whatever, one of my brothers would secretly gank the extra remote from my parent's room, drop a 9 volt battery in there, and gently caress with whoever had the other remote, usually my grampa. Changing channels. It didn't have a volume control so none of that kind of hanky panky.

So yeah, thats my totally who gives a gently caress story.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Posts like this are why I come to this thread.

While I'm at it, gently caress posts that are just youtube links with no description. I'm not clicking that.

These are my humble opinions, thanks for listening.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Sweet onion chutney did the CPS 2000 rule. Fully pumped, that fucker KICKED when it was fired.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Is that the restroom at a Cinemark theater?

DicktheCat posted:

While I'm at it, gently caress posts that are just youtube links with no description. I'm not clicking that.

:hai:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

wesleywillis posted:

God yeah. The ultimate 90s :canada: experience: flipping to channel 29 to see if Matthew Good Band's "Carmelita" was playing.

I was a child and a weeb in the 90s, which meant that most of my nostalgia is tied up in anime-related things, like renting whatever looked semi-decent on the anime rack in Blockbuster (the 2nd VHS in the Record of Lodoss War series? sure why not); watching those ADV ads that played at the start of each tape; waiting MONTHS AND MONTHS for the next dubbed release of the series I'm following to hit the shelves. Anime was released two episodes at a time on $20 tapes back then.

Not that the stuff you got airing on TV came out any quicker. I remember waiting months for the next batch of Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z episodes to be released. Terrible voice acting across the board. Looking up the original names of everyone online. Reading rumours written by people who claim to have seen the full series in the original Japanese. Did you know Sailor Uranus is the reincarnation of her twin brother, Prince Uranus, who was in love with Princess Neptune?

Reading fanfiction on Geocities pages. Loading postage-stamp sized gifs on those same websites, one at a time.

Buying issues of Mixx Magazine, which would one day become TokyoPop. They had a girly/shojou focused inprint too, whose name I can't remember, but I bought those too.

https://otakuworld.com/

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Is that the restroom at a Cinemark theater?

That's what the flood of nostalgia rushing through my brain is telling me.

It's haunting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sisal Two-Step posted:

God yeah. The ultimate 90s :canada: experience: flipping to channel 29 to see if Matthew Good Band's "Carmelita" was playing.

For my brothers and I it was anything by the Beastie Boys, or Metallica, with a bit of Weird Al, Amish Paradise was the best video.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I was a child and a weeb in the 90s, which meant that most of my nostalgia is tied up in anime-related things, like renting whatever looked semi-decent on the anime rack in Blockbuster (the 2nd VHS in the Record of Lodoss War series?

Save our Sailors!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DicktheCat posted:

Posts like this are why I come to this thread.

These are my humble opinions, thanks for listening.
Somebody save this for the most-late-2010s-thing-you-can-find thread 20 years from now

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

burial posted:

I actually have one these, minus the back to the battery part. Also one of the buttons is broken. I’m not sure why I haven’t thrown it out.

You can probably still get $40-$50 on ebay.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The talk about making your parents don't find out what you're watching at night made me try to remember what I was trying to find. Arty European movies once Bravo and Showcase started, but 80s comedies were as good chance at seeing boobs and butts before that. Horror movies as well. Though gold standard would be an Emmanuel movie or the Hot Spot. Hot Spot featured lots of naked Virgina Madison and Jennifer Connolly.

The best part of the Hot Spot or the 80s comedies is they'd be on regular channels, so you didn't have to switch back after watching because you dad isn't going to check the tv listing for what was on the night before, and if it says Joy Sticks or Hardbodies, he's not going to spend the effort to find out what was in that movie.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pneub posted:

You can probably still get $40-$50 on ebay.

That’s insane. That seems insane. That said, the cursory search I did seems to indicate working ones really are pricey. Thanks for the heads up.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

The Pepsi cans are ace and would totally go down well in today's retro market.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 08:40 on Jan 9, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Bravo and Showcase...................... boobs and butts

I don't remember when it came out, but the movie "Desert Heart" was pretty good cause it had some nudity and a brief scene of two chicks making out/sort of getting it on. Saw that poo poo on Bravo or showcase at like midnight on Friday or Saturday night some time.

I totally had a tape full of like two to five minute spots of nudity/boning from various movies.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

twistedmentat posted:

The talk about making your parents don't find out what you're watching at night made me try to remember what I was trying to find. Arty European movies once Bravo and Showcase started, but 80s comedies were as good chance at seeing boobs and butts before that. Horror movies as well. Though gold standard would be an Emmanuel movie or the Hot Spot. Hot Spot featured lots of naked Virgina Madison and Jennifer Connolly.

Any UK goons over 30 or so will remember watching Eurotrash with the door shut. Was essentially 'here's some weird sex things happening in European countries'. I'm sure there were other topics, but I don't remember.

Content:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

EvilGenius posted:

The Pepsi cans are ace and would totally go down well in today's retro market.

Pepsi did a retro look on the cans over the summer, with the classic 87, 91, and 03 designs. I hadn't drank a can of pepsi in months until the summer when i saw them in the cooler at the food truck where i got lunch at work.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

I don't remember when it came out, but the movie "Desert Heart" was pretty good cause it had some nudity and a brief scene of two chicks making out/sort of getting it on. Saw that poo poo on Bravo or showcase at like midnight on Friday or Saturday night some time.

I totally had a tape full of like two to five minute spots of nudity/boning from various movies.

I saw Barbarella uncut on PBS

Also Moll Flanders which had some nudity again on PBS

Heady stuff

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

burial posted:

That’s insane. That seems insane. That said, the cursory search I did seems to indicate working ones really are pricey. Thanks for the heads up.

The button's probably a pretty easy fix with a little bit of know-how and the basic tools. It might end up being a bit of a money sink if you don't have those though (and don't plan on ever soldering anything again).

Pneub has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jan 9, 2019

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

EvilGenius posted:

Any UK goons over 30 or so will remember watching Eurotrash with the door shut. Was essentially 'here's some weird sex things happening in European countries'. I'm sure there were other topics, but I don't remember.

Everybody remembers the kinky stuff, but it was maybe 3 minutes per episode, and was usually something pretty tame like "check out this Dutch bar where all the waitresses are topless", and you'd see 10 seconds of tits and then 2 minutes of weird men with dubbed voices talking about how they saw some tits.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:36 on May 11, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5R0l4RNqU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Crazy Ferret posted:

It's haunting.

There's a Cinemark nearby that still had that style in 2016. (Haven't been back since the remodel. The theater also has what looks like they put up new marquees, but haven't actually ever put up the movie titles.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Ferret posted:

It's haunting.

It's weird what triggers a massive wave of nostalgia sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I posted this elsewhere but I realized it fits very well here as well. It is 90s Fighting game, the TV show. I give you WMAC Masters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR66Fjczwfk