Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Cullen Bunn is a red flag for me. He's tanked several series and characters I've enjoyed under previous writers. Currently he's underwhelming on Uncanny X-Men despite a kickass roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Cullen Bunn is pretty good, especially dealing with supernatural and monster stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Reorganizing my comics, I found Age of Iron, and drat I forgot how good this series is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gods of War finished this Wednesday, and while I recall reading that a bunch of people here weren't all that fond of the recent Hercules stuff, I have to admit that I liked it a lot.

I mean, I thought the guns stuff was stupid, but I thought everything else about sobering up and being disrespected was a really interesting way to do a serious take on the character.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't know. I think I have to side with the criticism of Abnett's Hercules that it seems like an entire book based around the idea that The Incredible Hercules was too much fun to be allowed or tolerated.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aforce - Elsa's cool but i really liked dazzle Thor though from the letters it seems writing her out was an order from editorial or something? :( i also like the skull swears

All new inhumans - heres your daughter we've never mentioned once the entire run, btw gorgon is healed with the push of a button the end lol

Gods of war it was a dumb book but i liked seeing herc pal around with the old gods. Sad to see this one go but glad the run lasted as long as it did

Mockingbird always has the best recap pages. "Where did you even get that hat? When did you change clothes?" Probably ms marvel doing some weird thing...the cover of the next issue lol

Scarlet witch - kinda really dug it, liked the interviews with the ex and the nemesis and the art was good, esp the oni reveal

Gwenpool - gwen trying to explain comic mechanics and the ultimate universe was fun; i do kind of agree that it seems the attempt at shooting the kid felt like a retread of the earlier issues where i thought we had already moved passed this line of thinking for her; i think the baby punisher line is important and hopefully she'll run into castle and realize how lovely his life is and go another direction; where's gurihiru??? :(

Looks like all the excitement for the next mega event is starting in uncanny avengers oh noes red skull is controlling quicksilver too? who else???

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

X-O posted:

I think Cullen Bunn is pretty good, especially dealing with supernatural and monster stuff.
Recommend something please. I'm a fan of supernatural/monster stuff in particular. Last I recall reading work along those lines of Bunn's was Venom, picking up from Remender's series.

EDIT: I wanna clarify I made my Bunn red flag post under the wrong impression that Bunn had written a terrible Batgirl (Cassandra under Deathstroke's control). Just checked and I was wrong. He did however write runs Venom and Aquaman which I didn't enjoy compared to their previous writers. Red flag downgraded to mild dislike. :)

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 17, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dario the Wop posted:

Recommend something please. I'm a fan of supernatural/monster stuff in particular. Last I recall reading work along those lines of Bunn's was Venom, picking up from Remender's series.

EDIT: I wanna clarify I made my Bunn red flag post under the wrong impression that Bunn had written a terrible Batgirl (Cassandra under Deathstroke's control). Just checked and I was wrong. He did however write runs Venom and Aquaman which I didn't enjoy compared to their previous writers. Red flag downgraded to mild dislike. :)

Sixth gun

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Sixth Gun, The Damned, Empty Man, Harrow County, Hellbreak. I heard his Godzilla was good but I don't read those.

As for good Marvel stuff, his Deadpool started out weak but has grown really strong. He had great runs on Magneto, Moon Knight, Fearless Defenders, and personally I did enjoy his Venom run.

He's strongest with working with horror and supernatural stuff though which makes him a good fit for a story about monsters.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 17, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm coming to the realization that I do not like post Disassembled Iron Man or any of his titles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Iron Man
Iron Man
Does whatever an iron can
Presses clothes, makes grilled cheese,
That's kinda all an iron does
Look out
I guess it's Iron Man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm coming to the realization that I do not like post Disassembled Iron Man or any of his titles.

I don't think I've ever liked Iron Man. Except as "flying beam man in Avengers".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The book is rather messy until Fraction comes aboard.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The book is rather messy until Fraction comes aboard.

Yeah I'm starting his run and it is better, but still not great.

Maybe modern iron man isn't for me.

Edit: I'm very disappointed in this since I like the character concept and the movies.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 18, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I'm starting his run and it is better, but still not great.

Maybe modern iron man isn't for me.

It's a decent book until Fear Itself where it kind of falls apart. Gillen has a fairly decent run but he sort of leaves without really wrapping his arc up and it then becomes Superior Iron Man which also ends without real closure. Bendis' run starts out sooooo good but then he lost his fantastic artist to CW2 and the book's been a mess since.

I don't think modern Iron Man is for anyone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think I've ever liked Iron Man. Except as "flying beam man in Avengers".

Maybe what you need is some solid dick from an iron man.

(Yes, I know it's a photoshop.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm still digging Iron Man. Knowing that two post Tony Stark Iron Man books are coming up helps a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

I'm still digging Iron Man. Knowing that two post Tony Stark Iron Man books are coming up helps a bit.

Most of my gripes with the book come from the Deodato art. The new IM books do sound awesome though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I used to like Dedato when his poser stuff wasn't so obvious. The guy was really good at dramatic lighting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I used to like Dedato when his poser stuff wasn't so obvious. The guy was really good at dramatic lighting.

He's gotten progressively worse over the years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really enjoyed Extremis and Hypervelocity. Other than that though...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of Hypervelocity, Iron Man is basically the exact corner of the MU you want Adam Warren for. Bullshit technobabble, pouty lipped love interests, giant robots and lasers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

International Iron Man has been kinda ok.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, the plot in International Iron Man is at least kind of interesting. The plot in Invincible alternates between boring beyond belief and slightly incomprehensible, and it isn't helped at all by the absolutely atrocious art. I laughed my rear end off at the last issue that included blatant traces of Cecily Strong and loving Rand Paul as Dr. Doom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deodato has always consistently used Vincent Cassel as his Doom model, not Rand Paul. The only reason that doesn't bother me is because in a movie that's loving amazing casting for Doom. Though there is a slight resemblance there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reading 2004 tentpole series Marvel comics, the number of exclamation marks writers will use in dialog makes these comics virtually unreadable.

ed: It's weird seeing old 2004 Tony Stark where he's basically an amalgam of Every Industrialist Ever and comparing his design then to now where he's Literally Just Robert Downey Jr

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 18, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Toxxupation posted:

Reading 2004 tentpole series Marvel comics, the number of exclamation marks writers will use in dialog makes these comics virtually unreadable.

I'd make fun of you for that being a problem for you, but I can't read Cormac McCarthy because he doesn't use quotation marks, so I guess I sympathize.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's more that it gives all the dialog this weird breathless, attention-deficit air that ruins character voice or tone, and it's not like when Lee/Kirby did it where it honestly feels like everybody's shouting all the goddamn time, it just feels like sloppy and slapdash character writing.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Wanderer posted:

I'd make fun of you for that being a problem for you, but I can't read Cormac McCarthy because he doesn't use quotation marks, so I guess I sympathize.

Hey, it works for Hickman. Just have characters keep saying extremely profound and dramatic things without any tone or emphasis.

/edit somehow I read your post as 'exclamation marks'

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When I read 60's and 70's comics, I just treat one exclamation mark as a period, and two exclamation marks as one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

When I read 60's and 70's comics, I just treat one exclamation mark as a period, and two exclamation marks as one.

This is the correct way to read them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah if exclamation marks bother you you're going to have a problem reading some of the greatest comics of all time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, I finally finished the main Avengers Dissassembled arc and what's really weird is how much and how obviously Brian Michael Bendis has influenced modern-day Marvel. I'm reading all the Avengers Disassembled tie-ins (and, man, it's loving weird to see Kirkman writing Captain America let me tell you) and as I aforementioned they're very Bronze Age-y stories with a lot of stifling text boxes and everyone speaks in breathless, exclamation mark-laden sentences. I even saw a thought bubble or two and it all reads as insanely dated.

But then I'm reading Bendis' Avengers story and it just feels timeless and still current with current conventions of storytelling, with character moments that read as that sort of casually conversational, quippy sort of dialog that the MCU movies completely and utterly trade in. I got that same feeling when I did a complete USM readthrough a couple of months ago - where you can very clearly see the DNA of the way stories are told that modern Marvel, especially the movies, now use - but it's the fact that Bendis is writing these issues at the exact same time as I'm reading these Thor Disassembled issues that feel like a bad Simonson ripoff, and his impact and the way he approaches character voice and his focus on relational, emotive character work comes off as an even more impressive revelation. BMB is just doing stuff that nobody else who's writing alongside him is really doing at the time he was doing it, and his increasing focus and ascendancy up the creative chain at Marvel is a big reason why Marvel, on the whole, is in such a good place creatively right now. At least, from where I'm standing.

X-O posted:

Yeah if exclamation marks bother you you're going to have a problem reading some of the greatest comics of all time.

If you're talking about Silver Age Marvel, I can read them just fine (and I adore early Spider-Man intensely). It's both very clearly a product of its time and there's an honest sense that Lee/Kirby are meaning for every character to sound constantly amazed/in complete and utter shock at all times, that sort of heightened and whacky overemotional storytelling that reflects the storytelling conventions of the era it was written. I'm more just saying that reading 2004 comics where every other sentence ends in an exclamation point, it definitely comes across as the author not knowing what tone they're attempting to impart in the dialog so just threw some random punctuation in there to mix it up. It comes across as this weird, very schizophrenic tone.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 18, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It's a decent book until Fear Itself where it kind of falls apart. Gillen has a fairly decent run but he sort of leaves without really wrapping his arc up and it then becomes Superior Iron Man which also ends without real closure. Bendis' run starts out sooooo good but then he lost his fantastic artist to CW2 and the book's been a mess since.

I don't think modern Iron Man is for anyone.

Yeah I really liked Gillen's Iron Man but it just ended without even really trying to set up for the next writer. I guess they told him "Hey we're doing Original Sin DEAL WITH IT" and he just slapped together a lovely sort-of ending.

Superior was a great ride though. Man I miss Didn't Give A poo poo Man®

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I really liked Gillen's Iron Man but it just ended without even really trying to set up for the next writer. I guess they told him "Hey we're doing Original Sin DEAL WITH IT" and he just slapped together a lovely sort-of ending.

Superior was a great ride though. Man I miss Didn't Give A poo poo Man®

He got the Darth Vader gig and he made no secret that Star Wars one of his dream jobs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Deodato has always consistently used Vincent Cassel as his Doom model, not Rand Paul. The only reason that doesn't bother me is because in a movie that's loving amazing casting for Doom. Though there is a slight resemblance there.

Thank you i could not think of this dudes name for the life of me and it bugs me every time I see doom

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope the new shehulk series won't make hellcat depressing through osmosis

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Booooooooooooo. I want She-Hulk to fall in love with a apples, not this garbology.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I hope the new shehulk series won't make hellcat depressing through osmosis

Whoa whoa what's all this? Is someone going to make a bummer series? Who? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Whoa whoa what's all this? Is someone going to make a bummer series? Who? Why?

Doh, sorry shoulda linked

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-announces-new-jennifer-walters-hulk-series/

• Locked thread