Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Name the next Star Trek movie.

Seems like they're gonna keep mining the nostalgia for old trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Name the next Star Trek movie.

Star Trek: The Motion Pincher - Data goes haywire and starts pinching anything that moves.

Star Trek: The Wraith of Khan - Khan's ghost comes back to finally exact his revenge.

Star Trek: The Final Frontier: while returning from their encounter with the mysterious Left Ear and the newly-discovered Right Ear... :dadjoke:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I got to Ro in my TNG rewatch! Like Pulaski, she shows how much the show improves when there actually is conflict among crew members. Plus she's such a strong character without just being a stereotype "don't need nobody" angry woman.

The episode where they lose their memories is great too because Ro sleeps with Riker and doesn't feel bad about it afterwards, and even bonds with Troi over it. I can't think of another contemporary show that wouldn't have the man act smug and the woman be embarrassed about it in a similar scenario.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

davidspackage posted:

I got to Ro in my TNG rewatch! Like Pulaski, she shows how much the show improves when there actually is conflict among crew members. Plus she's such a strong character without just being a stereotype "don't need nobody" angry woman.

The episode where they lose their memories is great too because Ro sleeps with Riker and doesn't feel bad about it afterwards, and even bonds with Troi over it. I can't think of another contemporary show that wouldn't have the man act smug and the woman be embarrassed about it in a similar scenario.

Riker’s oh poo poo face when he sees the two of them together is amazing though

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

davidspackage posted:

Ensign Ro is such a good character. I feel like the TNG writer's characterization of the Bajorans and Ro are what laid the foundation for DS9 being such a success.

e: watching the Ro banging Riker episode now

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 12, 2019

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I think DS9 could have done more to flesh out Bajor and Bajorans seeing as how aside from Kira and a handful of others, Bajorans are just one dimensional farmers\bible thumpers. They pay lip service to Bajoran culture being ancient and fascinating and stuff, but I never really found myself caring all that much about it. You could exchange them for any other trek race and everything would work fine, but perhaps human Jesus freaks with krinkly noses are more relatable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I think DS9 could have done more to flesh out Bajor and Bajorans seeing as how aside from Kira and a handful of others, Bajorans are just one dimensional farmers\bible thumpers. They pay lip service to Bajoran culture being ancient and fascinating and stuff, but I never really found myself caring all that much about it. You could exchange them for any other trek race and everything would work fine, but perhaps human Jesus freaks with krinkly noses are more relatable.

Well also, when they do have powerful Bajoran characters, with the exception of Kira, you don't see them much. Kai Winn is only in fourteen episodes, and five of those are the finale.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I rewatched into Darkness and was utterly stunned at how awful the movie gets right at the point where Kirk attempts to knock Khan unconscious. Immediately after that it's just "Oh no." "Oh noooo." "Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I rewatched into Darkness and was utterly stunned at how awful the movie gets right at the point where Kirk attempts to knock Khan unconscious. Immediately after that it's just "Oh no." "Oh noooo." "Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo."
Yeah once Khan goes into full villain mode the movie takes a steep nose dive

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think the role reversal could have worked but not in the second film, they hadn't earned it. No one buys Kirk and Spock being best friends yet

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah once Khan goes into full villain mode the movie takes a steep nose dive

Well:

- Needing Khan's help to design new weapons for starfleet is nonsensical and moronic - just make the bombs bigger, make the ships bigger. You have Trans-Warp beaming thanks to ambassador spock.
- Needing Khan's..."savagery" to design new weapons is even less nonsenical - being willing and able to shatter someone's kneecaps, shoulder sockets, etc is not an even slightly transferable skill to making bigger and better starships
- "Dude im genetically engineered - having better genes means you're superhuman and can shake off stuns and blows to your cranium like it's nothing."

There's specifically that KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN scene that Spock does that always makes me laugh because all of the tension surrounding Khan is gone, from a pacing level at that point. His ship is destroyed, he has no idea where his crew is, and as a threat he's basically done. The tension was in fact about getting the warp thing realigned so the ship wouldn't crash into earth. Then after spock screams its like "oh yeah Khan is still around, but poo poo, we blew up his ship. Well, I guess uhhhh the SHIP IS RIGHT THERE! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and Khan's getting away!"

What could Khan have realistically accomplished. All they have to do is say "surrender or we launch your people into the sun." And he probably would. But we have this ridiculous and overly dramatic chase scene for no reason until about halfway through when McCoy is like "we can save kirk with Khan's magic blood." I mean, it'd been established it was magical, but that's not why Khan is running away - I have no idea why Khan is running away, it just seems like he's running away so they can have a big chase scene. I think a more dramatic and tense scene could have been one final confrontation where it's like "poo poo, Kirk is dying from rads. What do?" and Khan offers spock the same deal: he'll beam a sample of his blood to the enterprise in exchange for his crew. It could be an entire thing! Spock cares for Kirk, his emotions are running hot, and he's willing to do anything to save Kirk. Khan obviously has some kind of trick up his sleeve, etc etc etc.

I guess running, jumping, screaming and punching is more in tune with his character.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Also: Cumberbatch should’ve been John Harrison. Khan should’ve been one of the frozen people. gently caress twists.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I never saw the movie but I remember how desperately hard they tried to deny he was Khan before the movie came out :laffo:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

spincube posted:

Star Trek: The Final Frontier: while returning from their encounter with the mysterious Left Ear and the newly-discovered Right Ear... :dadjoke:

I take it back. Do not name the next Star Trek movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The next Star Trek movie will be named "Star Trek" because the Chris Pine movies are over and they'll just have to reboot the movies again because audiences love it when we re-tell the ~~origin story~~, from different angles, again and again... and again, and again and again!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

Also: Cumberbatch should’ve been John Harrison. Khan should’ve been one of the frozen people. gently caress twists.
Yeah in this universe it would have been better if he was one of the other frozen people and Khan died in cryostasis or whatever. Just make it different instead of reversing who 'dies' at the end of the movie from WoK. Plus nobody believed for a second that Kirk was actually dead.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cumberbatch should've been Joachim, pissed off and seeking to avenge the death of Khan, who probably died by accident when the Section 31 doctors botched the dethaw on the Botany Bay because Section 31 is pretty bad at everything they do.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The next Star Trek movie will be named "Star Trek" because the Chris Pine movies are over and they'll just have to reboot the movies again because audiences love it when we re-tell the ~~origin story~~, from different angles, again and again... and again, and again and again!

it will simply be "Next Generation." (An origin story.)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

it'll be called Star Trek: Generation neXt and will be about how the religious Bajorans are all suicide bombers and how a multinational team of space murder experts need to go and kill their planet, because we don't get nuanced Trek any more :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Let's ask the AI

Star Trek: Origins is slated for release summer 2021. In this reboot film, this new version of Spock has been re-imagined as a boy who must deal with alien alien aliens and their technology-based abilities. This time, he also has to overcome his fears about his ability and discover if he really can face the alien force behind it all. The cast also includes Nancy Cartwright , Chris Pine , John Cho , Michael Dorn , Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana and more. It's the first time that Kirk has been portrayed as a boy in the franchise since 1994 ! "I've always loved the idea of Spock as being more complicated than he is for all of these years." When The new Star Trek: Origins film starts rolling out in theaters on June 29th, 2016, check out the full poster art below!

Gotta go back even further to get more :spock:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 12, 2019

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Just finished season 6. Man, the writing seemed to go a bit downhill in a lot of places there. Jadzia went out in a pretty disappointing way. May as well have just had her sucked out an airlock, probably would have been more satisfactory. I still resent being made to sit through Vic Fontaine numbers.

I can't remember, does most of the internet hate Ezri because she's not their precious waifu or is she actually a worse character?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I thought most people liked Ezri more than Jadzia. Not me though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

womb with a view posted:

Just finished season 6. Man, the writing seemed to go a bit downhill in a lot of places there. Jadzia went out in a pretty disappointing way. May as well have just had her sucked out an airlock, probably would have been more satisfactory. I still resent being made to sit through Vic Fontaine numbers.

I can't remember, does most of the internet hate Ezri because she's not their precious waifu or is she actually a worse character?

she kinda feels like a s1 DS9 character to me which is fine except she didnt get 5 seasons to mature into something on par with the rest of the crew

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The character Jadzia was a little shallow. Ezri at least got to have some drama with adjusting to being joined almost out of nowhere, dealing with being around Worf and all of Jadzia's friends, etc, whereas Jadzia herself was just infallible and perfect and kind of boring most of the time.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Not enough alien alien aliens in Star Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ezri has more going on with Jadzia, which is both kind of nice, since Jadzia could be a bit one-note, and kind of annoying, since to get her to a point where she had more going on than a character who had been on the show for six years, they had to make a lot of episodes revolve around her. And unlike Jadzia who generally has her poo poo together, Ezri is a bit of a baby and behaves in a more frustrating way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

womb with a view posted:

Bringing in a new character in season 7 sucks up a lot of air - Ezri gets more episodes than a lot of people in the main crew, which I find annoying in that it "feels" like those eps should go to other characters instead of making me care about someone new who has special skills in fighting people with magic guns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

womb with a view posted:

Honestly season 6 and 7 are pretty bad imho. A few good things happen but I'm not a late-season fan overall.

Jadzia doesn't get enough credit. She's not "wacky" so she's not as memorable but her character does have a lot of nuance. I like Quark but obviously he's a more memorable, marketable comic relief character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Who else is going to the DS9 doc tomorrow

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right here!

I can't wait to see this HD footage I've been hearing about on the big screen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

Honestly season 6 and 7 are pretty bad imho. A few good things happen but I'm not a late-season fan overall.

Jadzia doesn't get enough credit. She's not "wacky" so she's not as memorable but her character does have a lot of nuance. I like Quark but obviously he's a more memorable, marketable comic relief character.

I think the big problem with Jadzia’s character is that her early appearances are fairly passive and bland. “Dax” is about Curzon. “Invasive Procedures” is about anything but her while she’s lying on a table. “Equilibrium” is about Dax more so than Jadzia. “Meridian” makes her look like a dope. “Facets” is about every other Dax besides her — the element it introduces of Curzon’s hosed up lust for her is interesting, but it’s about him really more so than her. When Worf shows up they actually do an okay job of making her not just Worf’s girlfriend right away but it does tend to mean that her focus episodes are shared with Worf. Then she dies.

That basically leaves “Blood Oath” and “Rejoined”, I think both are ok episodes but that’s two in six seasons, and then a lot of small character moments.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Her best moments just aren't in focus episodes, that's fine. She's in almost every episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

womb with a view posted:

I don't think there was ever really a consensus. Opinions seem to range from "she was okay I guess" to "good, but introduced too late"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Duckula posted:

Not enough alien alien aliens in Star Trek.

Unironically agree.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If we'd had more time to get to know Ezri, like if she'd been introduced in season 4 and had the episodes about her backstory and family and stuff more spread out, then I think she'd be better appreciated. She had more personality than Jadzia ever did and the idea of a Trill who's utterly unprepared for joining is interesting, but she simultaneously didn't get enough time to shine and, in the one season she did appear in, they had to cram in too many focus episodes about her just to give her anything to do at all and oversaturated the show with her in the short time she was available.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 13, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

Her best moments just aren't in focus episodes, that's fine. She's in almost every episode.

Yeah I mean, it just has the effect of making her feel more like background noise. It’s not unpleasant exactly, but she rarely gets a chance to stand out either. She’s a distinctly secondary figure most of the time whereas Ezri is much more protagonistic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

skasion posted:

I think the big problem with Jadzia’s character is that her early appearances are fairly passive and bland. “Dax” is about Curzon. “Invasive Procedures” is about anything but her while she’s lying on a table. “Equilibrium” is about Dax more so than Jadzia. “Meridian” makes her look like a dope. “Facets” is about every other Dax besides her — the element it introduces of Curzon’s hosed up lust for her is interesting, but it’s about him really more so than her. When Worf shows up they actually do an okay job of making her not just Worf’s girlfriend right away but it does tend to mean that her focus episodes are shared with Worf. Then she dies.

That basically leaves “Blood Oath” and “Rejoined”, I think both are ok episodes but that’s two in six seasons, and then a lot of small character moments.
“Dax” and “Invasive Procedures” are both bad episodes IMO.

The former is just really frustrating because Jadzia gets nothing to do and refuses to talk about what actually happened, and characters just talk around her when she’s in the room

The latter is bad for the main reason that they make it so that Quark is an accessory to attempted murder/kidnapping and what he does never gets mentioned again

My main problem with a lot of these early episodes is that they are extremely stand-alone and a lot of the consequences are ignored, something that would not happen later on in the series.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I liked Ezri and thought more time in S7 was wasted on Ferengi episodes, even if it was cool that Rom eventually became Grand Nagus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a weird bit in a season 3 or 4 episode where Odo is complaining that Dax keeps sneaking into his quarters and moving the furniture around to gently caress with him. It's written to make him look like a neat-obsessed freak because she's only moving them by like an inch, but 1) it actually makes Dax look like a poo poo for repeatedly breaking into a supposed friend's private room and 2) when was Dax ever established to be a prankster? It's more something season 1 Jake and Nog would pull.