Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mahjong is pretty drat fun once you get the basics. Understanding how yaku work is the hardest part, since there are so many different ones that are scored in various ways. Games are long but it's excellent for just chilling out.

IMO they should give out MGP rewards besides the weekly challenge, though. Something for playing the NPC tables would be nice.

Saw this on Reddit; might help anyone new to the game like me:

quote:

ultra-friendly newcomer hands:

tanyao / all simples (only tiles numbered 2-8, no dragons or winds, may be open (you can call chi or pon and still cash in on it)

riichi: any closed hand is valid if you call riichi

pinfu: only straights (i.e. no triplets), and you have to sit on an outside wait (i.e. when you're one from winning, you can't be waiting on a pair or a pattern like 3-x-5 or 1-2-x, has to be something like x-5-6-x)

These three yaku combine so often that you'll hear experienced players call a hand that scores them all a "mentanpin" ("menzen, tanyao, pinfu"). They're very good starter hands because they're super easy to aim for, and are almost always a good option if you're unsure what to build.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Mahjong is pretty drat fun once you get the basics. Understanding how yaku work is the hardest part, since there are so many different ones that are scored in various ways. Games are long but it's excellent for just chilling out.

IMO they should give out MGP rewards besides the weekly challenge, though. Something for playing the NPC tables would be nice.

Saw this on Reddit; might help anyone new to the game like me:

I played a full game with some friends last night (except one who had to leave around the 4th hand - we shook down his replacement AI so hard it went into negatives after). All of us at vary levels of (in)experience, and we still had a good time! Definitely a good addition to the game.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 9, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Has anyone made a mahjong LS yet, or would be interesting in joining one? I think it'd be fun

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've seen people speculate (MSQ) Varis seemed very 'out of character' in how he acted and how emotive he was during the parlay that makes me think somethings up.

Couple pages back but I also got this feeling from the events in the MSQ. Either it's characterization finally getting limelight or it's a strategic/political ploy to get the Alliance enthusiastic about fighting him either because it will fulfill his plan of causing more calamities or put one over on Solus.

Either is incredibly likely.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I took it as "Join me as one race, or die as multiple.", and the talk with Solus before the meeting established he's preparing more of the gas to use on Eorzeans in the event conflict wasn't halted.

You are. He explicitly talks about mankind being split into lesser beings during the event that created the 13 stars. It's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you remember this is a final fantasy game, so of course the really weird thing that could only be possible with some heavy duty magic is what the big bad is aiming for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You are. He explicitly talks about mankind being split into lesser beings during the event that created the 13 stars. It's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you remember this is a final fantasy game, so of course the really weird thing that could only be possible with some heavy duty magic is what the big bad is aiming for.

Oh. My mistake then!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Except that there are people out there who refused to read the "hey, these people are bad" subtext for what it was, so they had to rewrite things as "HEY. THESE PEOPLE ARE BAD" supertext.

I hate this version of reality we've come to exist in. Punch more nazis, please, and punch the people who complain about nazi-punching.

SonicRulez posted:

And as far as the hero worship of the WoL, I love it.The Warrior of Light is in-universe Superman at this point. It would be stupid if people didn't recognize that in the story.

And yet, this JOKE AGAIN?!?!?! </escalating hysterical screech>

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just rewatched the Shadowbringers trailer.

It still owns.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, fair enough, kinda groaned. I will say though people probably imagine we are the size of your average primal. How else would we even manage against poo poo like Shinryu?

Mordiceius posted:

Just rewatched the Shadowbringers trailer.

It still owns.

Yep. Still hype. This patch is good.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except that there are people out there who refused to read the "hey, these people are bad" subtext for what it was, so they had to rewrite things as "HEY. THESE PEOPLE ARE BAD" supertext.

I hate this version of reality we've come to exist in. Punch more nazis, please, and punch the people who complain about nazi-punching.

God, every Midan set is just the best.

I need to knock out the Warring Triad so I can finally get my Kaladanda Lux and wear it with the Midan casting set.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Regarding being "the Warrior of Light", later on less emphasis is placed on you being some kind of Chosen One and more on you being some kind of ultimate badass who did all that stuff you actually did in-game. So it sort of feels like you've earned it by that point.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I accepted the joke because my catgirl literally comes up to Fran's midriff and people who only know my WoL by rep probably assume I'm some Susano-sized motherfucker at least.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah I play as a min height cat boy so the joke feels fitting.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The goon-only blind run of the new Ivalice raid was a ton of fun, here's a quick snapshot I took (spoilers obviously):

sitcom bathysphere posted:

I’m just now finishing the ARR MSQ. I’m very tired of being the Warrior of Light / Chosen One and hoping that aspect of my role gets seriously de-emphasized in Heavensward & beyond

The story is always about you being the Warrior of Light: Big Hero Who Does the Impossible, but the MSQ significantly improves in quality in HW/SB compared to ARR. They switch to a new VA studio which is a massive improvement, characters start getting meaningful development, quality of the writing improves significantly, cut-scenes become way more dynamic, and pacing becomes better since they stop padding stuff with filler. If the Chosen One thing specifically bothers you then (spoilers for the end of The Praetorium) Hydaelyn used the last of her power intervening in the Ultima Weapon fight, you're pretty much on your own now. You still have the power of the Echo, but that's not unique to you.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EponymousMrYar posted:

Couple pages back but I also got this feeling from the events in the MSQ. Either it's characterization finally getting limelight or it's a strategic/political ploy to get the Alliance enthusiastic about fighting him either because it will fulfill his plan of causing more calamities or put one over on Solus.

Either is incredibly likely.

Possibly even more of the latter. He's trying to make himself into a martyr and die at the right point to unify people and build something stronger, the exact opposite of Solus dying at the right point to destabilize everything. He probably has a few clone bodies spare too.

Thundarr posted:

I accepted the joke because my catgirl literally comes up to Fran's midriff and people who only know my WoL by rep probably assume I'm some Susano-sized motherfucker at least.

This is why the true canon is potato, yoshi confirmed

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Alliance Coat of Fending's aesthetic of collars folded over armor is extremely my jam and it dyes very well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is Shadows of Mhach the only Raid that had no bearings on the main plot at all? It seems like every other Raid had some major stuff going on.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orbonne is beautiful as hell, fun, and it's got some really good gear. Third boss seems to be the one pubbies will get hung up on the most.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Brainamp posted:

Orbonne is beautiful as hell, fun, and it's got some really good gear. Third boss seems to be the one pubbies will get hung up on the most.

Considering who it's against, this is hardly surprising.

Had my first run of it just now, one which unfortunately was already in progress and had made it as far as the second boss. Guess it's time for round two.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's something I'm curious about regarding the new raid, but not curious enough to wipe on purpose-- if you wipe after the big transition in the fourth boss, do you start over from scratch or from the beginning of the second form, like in Dun Scaith?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It works like Diabolos Hollow, yes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you wipe after the transition you start back from the second phase, if you wipe during the transition, get hosed go back to start.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

People who are gonna think that way were going to do that regardless, I don't feel like making the villains way more cartoony and completely uninteresting as some sort of response was worth it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
how is this dandy gonna eat that much bacon bread

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CeallaSo posted:

Had my first run of it just now, one which unfortunately was already in progress and had made it as far as the second boss. Guess it's time for round two.

If the people in the raid weren't freaking out because of who it was.... THEY PLAYED AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF FFT.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

CeallaSo posted:

You are literally up against one of the most OP characters ever added to a game so it makes sense.

Ramuh, who's that punk? A nobody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Christ, Seiryuu EX is easily the most low-effort extreme this expansion. Kind of sad.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Just finished ARR. :eyepop:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Christ, Seiryuu EX is easily the most low-effort extreme this expansion. Kind of sad.

Imagine giving up your soul for power and being only marginally stronger than before.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

suuma posted:

Just finished ARR. :eyepop:

now the good stuff begins. welcome, child.

/edit: well, you know. Around 2.4 actually :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is Shadows of Mhach the only Raid that had no bearings on the main plot at all? It seems like every other Raid had some major stuff going on.

Most of the raids have pretty flimsy ties to the main plot.

Coil concludes the Bahamut plot but only a few encounters actually have a story to speak of. Most of it is "Wow! Allagan technology!" Alexander has more story in its moments but in terms of MSQ relevance it mostly comes at the end by a tiny thread linking it to a dropped 1.0 plotline. Maybe if we saw the Eorzean Alliance fielding repaired and repurposed Illuminati gobmachines. I mean, they are used in Rival Wings so maybe that'll come some day? The Omega raid is sort of a microcosm because you could never do it, and the only thing that's meaningful is basically a "I wonder what ever happened to Omega". But actually doing it brings up a ton of questions it ends up answering, while also showing off a lot of characters who show up in the MSQ now and then.

None of the Alliance raids up until Ivalice really matter. Nero's appearance in the CT stuff does have some character development but it's not really about him, mostly just continues his Praetorium exit and foreshadows future appearances. Mhach doesn't really have any ties but it does continue a thin thread established by the sidequest content, shining light on the war between the three magical sects, primarily Amdapor and Mhach. Perhaps Amdapor will get show up again because of the Shadowbringerstrailer because I don't think they're just reusing assets but we've still got one story patch to go. Ivalice raid probably has the most ties, though mostly in building up the background of the Garleans. The actual characters barely matter and the actual plot of the raid is more or less its own thing, but what's guiding you through the journey is a myth that's been fully embraced by Garleans. Ridorana has important implications too. I haven't played Orbonne yet but it does foreshadow some more stuff at the end.

Mhach definitely has the least as of right now, but if there's a lot of Amdapor stuff in Shadowbringers, then it's going to be a lot more relevant than before.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

For the third boss in orbonne: I like the idea of putting the group markers in between platforms and saying 'these are your two to cover' but in practice it feels like people just stack on the point at all times and get hit by every sword hit because those middle parts are like a hit area for each pattern.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Oh you absolute fucker I need that armor and can't find a competent group.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Argas posted:

Most of the raids have pretty flimsy ties to the main plot.

Coil concludes the Bahamut plot but only a few encounters actually have a story to speak of. Most of it is "Wow! Allagan technology!" Alexander has more story in its moments but in terms of MSQ relevance it mostly comes at the end by a tiny thread linking it to a dropped 1.0 plotline. Maybe if we saw the Eorzean Alliance fielding repaired and repurposed Illuminati gobmachines. I mean, they are used in Rival Wings so maybe that'll come some day? The Omega raid is sort of a microcosm because you could never do it, and the only thing that's meaningful is basically a "I wonder what ever happened to Omega". But actually doing it brings up a ton of questions it ends up answering, while also showing off a lot of characters who show up in the MSQ now and then.

None of the Alliance raids up until Ivalice really matter. Nero's appearance in the CT stuff does have some character development but it's not really about him, mostly just continues his Praetorium exit and foreshadows future appearances. Mhach doesn't really have any ties but it does continue a thin thread established by the sidequest content, shining light on the war between the three magical sects, primarily Amdapor and Mhach. Perhaps Amdapor will get show up again because of the Shadowbringerstrailer because I don't think they're just reusing assets but we've still got one story patch to go. Ivalice raid probably has the most ties, though mostly in building up the background of the Garleans. The actual characters barely matter and the actual plot of the raid is more or less its own thing, but what's guiding you through the journey is a myth that's been fully embraced by Garleans. Ridorana has important implications too. I haven't played Orbonne yet but it does foreshadow some more stuff at the end.

Mhach definitely has the least as of right now, but if there's a lot of Amdapor stuff in Shadowbringers, then it's going to be a lot more relevant than before.

I thought the Crystal Tower was also responsible for powering Dalamud?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Day 2 of content and Ive been sitting here for 40 minutes waiting to get into the raid. Tank/DPS queue.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Someone leaked an image of viera males:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Other way around. Dalamud drained power from Bahamut, and then the Crystal Tower acted as the conduit to bring the bahamut-energy down to the ground and power the Allagan civilization.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Other way around. Dalamud transmitted power back to the Allagans through the Crystal Tower. I forgot to note that the CT shined some light on the Allagan Empire but only a very, very narrow segment of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh. Thanks for the correction. My memory sure is spotty.

Mordiceius posted:

Someone leaked an image of viera males:

I saw some pretty neat male Viera fanart on a Discord today that looks pretty close to what I'd like for the in-game option. It's a male version of the Elementalist from TA2.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Edmond Dantes posted:

now the good stuff begins. welcome, child.

/edit: well, you know. Around 2.4 actually :v:

Yeah, did you finish 2.55, or did you finish 2.0?