Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Parmesan and Grana Padano are actually produced over a rather large area as far as these origine controlee things go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

lol

Also why do goons only know how to rate places based on how "good" the food is.

Because other casual ways of rating places off of broad generalizations tend to get insulting or racist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo saying something to the effect of "the people living in this region are so dumb they can't even feed themselves, look at the slop they eat" can be seen as insulting.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Because other casual ways of rating places off of broad generalizations tend to get insulting or racist.

im not sure if this statement is ironic or not

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Honj Steak posted:

Population exposure to risk of earthquakes, tropical cyclones, flooding, droughts and sea level rise, from the World Risk Report 2019.

How is Nepal rated this safe? It's a densely populated country that's prone to serious earthquakes and floods.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eat your dumplings, Apollo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kennel posted:

Wow, a food chat? How exciting!

Cherokee is cool because the written portion of the language was invented in the early 1800s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_syllabary

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
How strong is the argument that it should include the Coptic script?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Starks posted:

Ok well if it’s not potato that might be better but I bet they’re still gross.

Here’s a dumpling map so you can see just how low they rank just in their specific food category

Edit: looking at this map I realize the absence of xiaolongbao, Jamaican patties, and pop tarts (the three best dumplings) is pretty egregious

I'm the Poutine Rape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grape posted:

I've never seen a worse misreading of a post in my entire life.

Also

I know this thread acted shocked that Italy was a cobbled together 19th century project, but yeah it had and still has a variety of differing dialects. And it might blow your mind to find out that immigration from it didn't come from the areas where people spoke the prestige mainstream dialect that became the Italian language.
And they might just have brought over regional and backwater terms/spellings/pronunciations for foods and things that aren't encountered on Rosetta Stone! Weird!

lmao no

It’s called “parmesan” because we took the French word for it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyway, the greatest Italian contribution to the world of food is the Wiener schnitzel.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

How strong is the argument that it should include the Coptic script?

Probably a lot stronger than including the Mandean, Syriac, or Cherokee scripts. I'm skeptical that that Njuka script is actually in use too, but I'd never heard of it until I saw that map. Similar with Vai, I would be surprised if they had not been 100% replaced by Latin in real life usage.

Is the Mongolian script actually used for anything anymore? Or Manchu? Like, might as well include "runic" for Scandinavia if you're going to include some of theses other ones; probably runic has more readers.

Most of the other scripts on there seem to be pretty commonplace, although Tifinagh exists on street signs, ancient inscriptions, and like... nothing else that I've ever seen. I never saw Coptic written anywhere, ever, outside of a church or museum after a year of living in Egypt.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladman posted:

Probably a lot stronger than including the Mandean, Syriac, or Cherokee scripts. I'm skeptical that that Njuka script is actually in use too, but I'd never heard of it until I saw that map. Similar with Vai, I would be surprised if they had not been 100% replaced by Latin in real life usage.

Is the Mongolian script actually used for anything anymore? Or Manchu? Like, might as well include "runic" for Scandinavia if you're going to include some of theses other ones; probably runic has more readers.

Most of the other scripts on there seem to be pretty commonplace, although Tifinagh exists on street signs, ancient inscriptions, and like... nothing else that I've ever seen. I never saw Coptic written anywhere, ever, outside of a church or museum after a year of living in Egypt.

the Mongolian I worked with could write in Mongol, but I don't know if it was something he actually used to communicate regularly.

edit: he was from Chinese inner Mongolia, which might not have been pushed so much to adopt the Cyrillic alphabet and probably used Chinese for most business anyway

Squalid fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 12, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
No Hangul dot for Dokdo? loving tools of the imperialist Japanese aggressor

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm the safety syllabary wall that is keeping the Japanese logographics contained.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Saladman posted:

Probably a lot stronger than including the Mandean, Syriac, or Cherokee scripts.

Wouldn't Coptic be precisely equal to Syriac and Mandean, in the category of "sees use in specific liturgical contexts", but basically nowhere else?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Food Derails are in my opinion the greatest possible evidence that worldwide luxury gay space communism will never work. Even if you get the Proletariat to unite in class solidarity and overthrow the Bourgeois and abolish all national borders, we will immediately descend into bloody anarchy over the proper definition of BBQ or whether or not Taco's are "authentic" Mexican food.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm the safety syllabary wall that is keeping the Japanese logographics contained.

Japanese is bad for any map like this. I know of no other language where you have to use at minimum three different writing systems to write the average sentence. They really need to just do like the Koreans and invent a Japanese equivalent of Hangul.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

Food Derails are in my opinion the greatest possible evidence that worldwide luxury gay space communism will never work. Even if you get the Proletariat to unite in class solidarity and overthrow the Bourgeois and abolish all national borders, we will immediately descend into bloody anarchy over the proper definition of BBQ or whether or not Taco's are "authentic" Mexican food.

Japanese is bad for any map like this. I know of no other language where you have to use at minimum three different writing systems to write the average sentence. They really need to just do like the Koreans and invent a Japanese equivalent of Hangul.

well soft, hard, or doritos? tacos are easy when it comes to authenticity. don't pick the wrong one though. :thermidor:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saladman posted:

Probably a lot stronger than including the Mandean, Syriac, or Cherokee scripts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

galagazombie posted:

They really need to just do like the Koreans and invent a Japanese equivalent of Hangul.

I mean, they already do. You can write all of Japanese in hiragana, and katakana is literally the exact same syllable set but with different characters to write it. It'd be even easier than Korean since my understanding is Japanese doesn't have quite as many homophones (and surely less than Mandarin). People will make arguments about kanji being necessary but it's not, you could get rid of kanji and katakana entirely. Korean and Vietnamese are proof that Asian languages aren't special snowflakes that must use Chinese characters to be comprehensible, you can switch to an alphabet (or syllabary in this case) and it works fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

galagazombie posted:

It’s national pride at this point.

They won’t simplify writing till after they stop murdering whales.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also the fact that learning characters isn't really that big a deal. Japan does make it more complex than it needs to be with characters having multiple readings and it sometimes being impossible to tell which one to use in a given situation, as opposed to Chinese which has more characters in common use, but each one tends to only have a single reading.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol If you're not well versed in both the elder and younger fúþark and haven't delved deeply into the ancient mysteries of runic magic.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't speak for the others but Hungary at least has good food. And doesn't Poland have pierogis?

So not like the midwest.

Are you saying the Midwest doesn't have pierogis?

Grape posted:

Ontario is extremely Midwest.

:hai:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

related:

edit: also;

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 13, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jerry Cotton posted:

You literally don't understand place names lmaooooooo!

1. Ah yes the famously binding matter of namesake etymology! Those don't travel at all!
2. The EU food laws have nothing to do with geographical names, yeah some of the foods like Parmesan have geographical etymology, but lots of others don't.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grape can you please, if only at least briefly, stop acting the part of the ugly American? you are embarrassing me again

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Does this include liquid potatoes?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Squalid posted:

Grape can you please, if only at least briefly, stop acting the part of the ugly American? you are embarrassing me again

lol this is the bougiest thing
Oh no! I'm so embarrassed at my philistine countryman for not respecting the very specific cheese trademarks of developed nations!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am going to import all the ahem “cheddar” cheese I want when Britain leaves the EU and ain’t nobody going to stop me.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Acting like a fedora dude, except to Europeans instead of girls, is definitely how they will like and respect you. It's true. It works.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I am kinda proud of America's counterfeit cheeses and such, since protected national food copyrights always seemed kinda dumb to me. I mean I complain about Disney's copyright ip law, 'course I'm gonna grumble about the others.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I am kinda proud of America's counterfeit cheeses and such, since protected national food copyrights always seemed kinda dumb to me. I mean I complain about Disney's copyright ip law, 'course I'm gonna grumble about the others.

I do respect the intent, of trying to protect certain smaller operations from competition. But like I said, there's something kinda off about it. And narrowing down the region cuts out other areas where small operations have been making Thing for ages. To be fair I think on local levels some of that stuff is just outright ignored, or treated for what it is, strictly 100% legalese.
Like in Cyprus lol if you think they call locally made Feta cheese anything other than Feta, they've been making the stuff for eons.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Spazzle posted:

Does this include liquid potatoes?

probably, and also i think potatos fed to livestock.

Grape posted:

lol this is the bougiest thing
Oh no! I'm so embarrassed at my philistine countryman for not respecting the very specific cheese trademarks of developed nations!

pictured below: Grape; visiting with the inlaws in Cyprus

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Saladman posted:

Squalid posted:

the Mongolian I worked with could write in Mongol, but I don't know if it was something he actually used to communicate regularly.

edit: he was from Chinese inner Mongolia, which might not have been pushed so much to adopt the Cyrillic alphabet and probably used Chinese for most business anyway

Like Squalid said, the Mongolic script is still used as the writing system for Mongolian in China, where it has official status in Inner Mongolia and some other regions with sizable Mongolian populations. Maybe unsurprisingly, there are more ethnic Mongolians and Mongolian language speakers in China than in Mongolia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grape posted:

I do respect the intent, of trying to protect certain smaller operations from competition. But like I said, there's something kinda off about it. And narrowing down the region cuts out other areas where small operations have been making Thing for ages.

That does sound a little like how Switzerland wound up culling many of its cheese varieties between tight regulation and a corrupt cheese cartel. Although I'm not sure how much the Swiss participate in EU standards, they normally try to stay apart from the rest of Europe.
https://thinkgrowth.org/the-swiss-cheese-mafia-1dd096425f0d

And they even put out advertisements accusing people of cheese-piracy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You wouldn't download a cheese!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

The heck you say!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Little known fact: American cheese was invented in the town of América, Argentina, and the name just stuck. So you white bread fucks better stop pretending it’s some sort of “domestic” midwestern trash “cheese product.” Just because you refuse to learn the true history of American cheese doesn’t mean it never happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9rica,_Buenos_Aires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Badger of Basra posted:

I would download all the cheese.