Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Superstring posted:

Does Miller hate Superman for some reason now? Because the cover seems to me like he's trying his damndest to caricature Supes as some kind of gigantic doofus or something.

Whereas he obviously still has a big ol Bat Boner.

Now? Hasn't he always hated Supes? I mean he made the big blue boyscout the tool of an oppressive government back in the first Dark Night book, and that was in 1986!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I always thought the ending to DKR was a bit warmer to Supes, what with the whole noticing Bruce wasn't dead but letting him go. Shrug!

Edit: More than that though, shouldn't he love a big blunt unilateral instrument of the government these days?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

One wink compared to the entire second half of the book portraying Superman as a tool for oppression does not a love letter make. :rolleyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Superstring posted:

Does Miller hate Superman for some reason now? Because the cover seems to me like he's trying his damndest to caricature Supes as some kind of gigantic doofus or something.

Whereas he obviously still has a big ol Bat Boner.

Miller is legitimately the worst thing to happen to Superman in the last 30 years, and I include Death/Reign/Return of Superman, Lois&Clark, Smallville, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Grounded, and many more in that claim.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Miller is legitimately the worst thing to happen to Superman in the last 30 years, and I include Death/Reign/Return of Superman, Lois&Clark, Smallville, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Grounded, and many more in that claim.

Was his take on Superman really that influential?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

More like it gave all the "legitimate" fuel to the fire of people who casually hate on Superman would ever need. It's basically the ultimate in confirmation bias, where if you go in hating Superman you'll feel like you're entirely justified because one of the "best" comics ever made uses that interpretation of him.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I Before E posted:

Was his take on Superman really that influential?
I wouldn't say Miller's portrayal of Superman had that much influence--John Byrne easily had a much greater impact--but DKR is widely credited/blamed along with Watchmen for kickstarting the "grim 'n' gritty" phase of US superhero comics. That general "These ain't your daddy's comic books, fanboy!" attitude still has an effect today. It's just hard to square a primary-color character like Superman with that kind of tone.

That said, they did put Ben Affleck in what is pretty much DKR Batman's anti-Superman battle armor, so...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Here we go!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is this the right place to ask/can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to pick up every hip hop variant cover as they come out, but I don't know which released today and which will be released in the future. Please help me, I am in need of help.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

funtax posted:

Frank certainly does love to give him a very squinty face.
I see a certain Reaganesque resemblance.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Thank you for finding this. It was buried in my childhood memories and now it's free.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

redbackground posted:

Who's the astronaut baby?

Is...is that not a chimp in a space suit?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't think there is anything at all wrong with that Superman/baby illustration and in fact I think it's pretty great :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jng2058 posted:

One wink compared to the entire second half of the book portraying Superman as a tool for oppression does not a love letter make. :rolleyes:

It's not like he was a willing tool. He was being blackmailed into doing it, and you could see how he would act that way, not wanting to be responsible for the deaths of everyone in Kandor. I saw a lot of DKR being about Supes gradually finding his mental strength again, especially when his daughter showed up and was all kinds of badass that he couldn't be.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

prefect posted:

It's not like he was a willing tool. He was being blackmailed into doing it, and you could see how he would act that way, not wanting to be responsible for the deaths of everyone in Kandor. I saw a lot of DKR being about Supes gradually finding his mental strength again, especially when his daughter showed up and was all kinds of badass that he couldn't be.

What are you talking about?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chaos Hippy posted:

What are you talking about?

DKSA, now that I think about it. :blush:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like how the confrontation between Batman and Superman in the original DKR goes something like this:

Superman: Hey you're scaring the poo poo out of everyone, including the powers that be. They're going to kill you if you keep this up, and I'd rather they didn't.

Batman: What do I look like, a charity case? I'M AN ADULT! *POW* Aw gently caress my heart. *dies*

It's a bit unclear to me how that turned into "Batman totally beat the poo poo out of that fascist, Superman." over the years.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I like how the confrontation between Batman and Superman in the original DKR goes something like this:

Superman: Hey you're scaring the poo poo out of everyone, including the powers that be. They're going to kill you if you keep this up, and I'd rather they didn't.

Batman: What do I look like, a charity case? I'M AN ADULT! *POW* Aw gently caress my heart. *dies*

It's a bit unclear to me how that turned into "Batman totally beat the poo poo out of that fascist, Superman." over the years.

people polarize things according to their existing biases

so "I'm a tool of the powers that be, but I recognize I can't allow global nuclear war and realize the error of my ways, saving the world" superman and "I'm a haggard old man who almost dies but just barely scrapes by a fight with superman due to green arrow and kryptonite" Batman turn into "duhhh I love triclk;e down economics and Mutually Assured Destruction" superman and "I'm the biggest badass alive and I have an 19 inch cock which i beat superman's bitch rear end down with singlehandedly" batman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman has no rear end.

Also he's missing a portion of his left leg. It should show in that white space under his arm.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why are pieces of his costume flying off of his foot and thigh

Like, is that intended, or did he/his colorist miscolor some accent lines? Is his suit perpetually falling apart?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This was all I could see.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Did something tear off the lower half of his cape?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh dear

quote:

At a press conference for Dark Knight III: The Master Race, Frank Miller talked about his current state of working.

"I'm in the studio drawing every day now," Miller said. Inker and collaborator Klaus Janson said he's been to his studio, and "there are just reams of paper all over, so many drawings, many of which won't ever see the light of day, stuff that you really might not anticipate. It's really quite amazing."

Indeed, Miller plans to stay in comics, and get back to the drawing board in a literal way.

"Oh yeah," he said when asked if he had more work planned after his contributions to Dark Knight III. "My next book is set, I'm working on it now, in fact. It's a Sin City, a love story set against the backdrop of World War II."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

noirstronaut posted:

Is this the right place to ask/can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to pick up every hip hop variant cover as they come out, but I don't know which released today and which will be released in the future. Please help me, I am in need of help.

Basically every new Marvel #1 will have one. Here's a link with the 56 announced
http://www.newsarama.com/25216-marvel-homages-hip-hop-album-covers-in-new-october-variants.html

Take that list and go to comixology.com to check for release dates. And don't overpay for them. They were printed in huge numbers so at most you should pay $1 over cover.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He's got a bit of a Freddy Krueger thing going on now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh dear what? You don't want Frank to be keeping himself busy?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm kind of worried that he's pushing himself too hard.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Man Wants To Continue Doing Things He Enjoys

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I would rather he draw then write comics or blogs about Muslims

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

I have no problem with Frank Miller continuing to work. But I will criticise it if it's awful, which I think almost everything of his post-Sin City is. (Although I do wish they would stop letting him write Batman.)

Also, of COURSE he's working on a new Sin City. Basically everything he's created in the past 2 decades has been a re-skinned Sin City.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Although I do wish they would stop letting him write Batman.

Brian Azzarello is really the one writing it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm talking more about All-star Batman and Robin, and DK2. And Holy Terror sort of counts.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rhyno posted:

Basically every new Marvel #1 will have one. Here's a link with the 56 announced
http://www.newsarama.com/25216-marvel-homages-hip-hop-album-covers-in-new-october-variants.html

Take that list and go to comixology.com to check for release dates. And don't overpay for them. They were printed in huge numbers so at most you should pay $1 over cover.

Two venom comics but no Moon Knight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ferrule posted:

Lemire is writing Moon Knight

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/24/exclusive-lemire-smallwood-usher-moon-knight-into-the-all-new-al/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Brian Azzarello is really the one writing it.

Oh that's the cop-out this time?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferrule posted:

That was up to that point. We're at what, 70+ books now and all the #1's are planned to have these variants.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Sweet!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

redbackground posted:

Man Wants To Continue Doing Things He Enjoys

I've known plenty of people who love driving, but I'm still gonna want them to stop when they get to the age where they're so hunched over that they can't see over the steering wheel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Keeshhound posted:

I've known plenty of people who love driving, but I'm still gonna want them to stop when they get to the age where they're so hunched over that they can't see over the steering wheel.

Frank's not going to crash his drawing table into a farmer's market and kill a bunch of people. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
might as well not do anything ever, agree old people