Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Rick Moranis starred in quite a few big films throughout the 80s and early 90s. He only stopped working once his wife died of breast cancer, so he could take care of his children.

It was also that after a few years of being away, he realized he just didn't miss acting all that much. Between Spaceballs, Ghostbusters II and the Honey, I... movies, he had made more than enough money to comfortably retire, and he didn't particularly mind not being on sets for 12+ hours a day. Every interview he gives, however rare they are, basically has the same message: "I worked for a few decades, I had some memorable roles, I raised my kids, that's good enough for me."

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like Harold and Kumar boosted him up pretty well.

That's why I mentioned it alongside How I Met Your Mother, but Harris is on the record as saying that while the movie was a fun joke, the show basically resurrected his career (and I believe he was only invited to audition because either the director or casting director was a friend, and then his popularity probably kept the show going when it was on the brink of being canceled for the first three seasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Pfft, let me know when it wins a VMA.

The only awards show I acknowledge are the Yummies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MP5t-1IIM4

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Frankie Muniz does whatever it is that Frankie Muniz wants

Also:

But for some reason he keeps popping back up to take roles in godawful movies such as Sharknado 3 and Pizza Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMJ1cC2sgI

When I was 16 my first job was working at Medieval Times. One day Frankie Muniz came and rented out the entire venue to himself. This was when Malcolm in the middle was in its heyday. So anyway we did the entire show for him (who came to the show by himself I might add). He sat alone, unsmiling and apparently unimpressed with the show. It was super weird. Also his security detail wouldn't let anyone within like 50 yards of him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean I have to ask, did he say the battle amuses him and then request your finest meats and cheeses?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Class Warcraft posted:

When I was 16 my first job was working at Medieval Times. One day Frankie Muniz came and rented out the entire venue to himself. This was when Malcolm in the middle was in its heyday. So anyway we did the entire show for him (who came to the show by himself I might add). He sat alone, unsmiling and apparently unimpressed with the show. It was super weird. Also his security detail wouldn't let anyone within like 50 yards of him.

He was just playing the classic role of the bored king.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pigbuster posted:

He was just playing the classic role of the bored king.

Frankie Muniz is so method

(i want to point out that autocorrect wanted to change Muniz to "Money" which is totally Muniz)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Niel patrick harris got back on my radar when he did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHY9USNC_Fk

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I feel no NPH conversation is complete without sharing the 2013 Tony Awards opening.

https://youtu.be/R0cK6lkfgHI

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the only movie that could be a movie with The Rock in it is a movie where The Rock has to fight himself

From a few pages back, but a friend of mine has a (very dumb) colleague utterly convinced that The Rock and Dwayne Johnson are not the same person but are in fact identical twins, so if your dream movie comes true I really hope they give top billing to both The Rock and Dwayne Johnson.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Quote-Unquote posted:

From a few pages back, but a friend of mine has a (very dumb) colleague utterly convinced that The Rock and Dwayne Johnson are not the same person but are in fact identical twins, so if your dream movie comes true I really hope they give top billing to both The Rock and Dwayne Johnson.
Double Impact reboot sounding good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Quote-Unquote posted:

That would be awesome actually, and I could totally see him getting behind something like that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Great, now I need this to happen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Do you mean Lick Molanis, comedy relief neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Yes, and yes

Samuel Clemens posted:

Rick Moranis starred in quite a few big films throughout the 80s and early 90s. He only stopped working once his wife died of breast cancer, so he could take care of his children.

Well that takes the fun out of that reference

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't think they look that much alike, their heads are a different shape to start with

:colbert:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quote-Unquote posted:

That's sillier than Andrew W.K.being multiple people but not as silly as Bigger Luke.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad Dwayne Johnson has changed in appearance because when he was younger all I could ever see was a very buff Rob Schnieder

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barudak posted:

Im glad Dwayne Johnson has changed in appearance because when he was younger all I could ever see was a very buff Rob Schnieder

Why did you do this to me

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dwayne Johnson looks like someone put Rob Schneider through the Captain America Vita-Rays treatment:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
You know which should be The Rock's next role? An autobiography about the Ultimate Warrior.

Dwayne Johnson can cameo as the other Ultimate Warrior.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad you all now have to see what Ive seen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does Black Adam have a Billy Batson equivalent? Rob Schneider for that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pretty sure Black Adam is still a muscular, powerful grown man when non-shazammed, assuming he even bothers dismissing the power. He strikes me as the type who just stays powered at all times.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Pretty sure Black Adam is still a muscular, powerful grown man when non-shazammed, assuming he even bothers dismissing the power. He strikes me as the type who just stays powered at all times.

What if, instead of that, he was judge Dredd era Rob Schneider, before he was widely known to be an rear end in a top hat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Being largely unfamiliar with Shazam/Captain Marvel, what is the downside of staying powered at all times? Why doesn't he just stay Shazam'd?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Being largely unfamiliar with Shazam/Captain Marvel, what is the downside of staying powered at all times? Why doesn't he just stay Shazam'd?

There is no downside, really. But Billy Batson is usually a kid, so being in a grown man's body makes it hard to do kid stuff.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

Be kinda weird to see a 30-something dude doing chores and attending the seventh grade.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But why would Billy still do that? Like, Big is a Very Old Movie by now, I think we could do with another look at how loving awesome it would seem to be a super-powered grownup from the perspective of a child.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

But why would Billy still do that? Like, Big is a Very Old Movie by now, I think we could do with another look at how loving awesome it would seem to be a super-powered grownup from the perspective of a child.

It's old, yeah, but so old you've forgotten how it ends?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phylodox posted:

Be kinda weird to see a 30-something dude doing chores and attending the seventh grade.

Mild-mannered Billy Madison

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phylodox posted:

I never really appreciated the ending to Big until I got older (same with the sleepover scene). It's shlock but it has heart.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

I actually have forgotten how it ends. Why does he turn back to a kid, cause his mom is sad?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

"it would seem..."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

parallelodad posted:

I actually have forgotten how it ends. Why does he turn back to a kid, cause his mom is sad?

Because kids aren't ready to handle the responsibilities of being an adult. At least Billy can go back to being a kid whenever he's not superheroing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phylodox posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen the ending to Big or not.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Because kids aren't ready to handle the responsibilities of being an adult. At least Billy can go back to being a kid whenever he's not superheroing.

Also, shallow wish-fulfillment and self-indulgence get old pretty fast.

I changed my mind, make Shazam a real-life Coraline movie somehow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

The main thing I can remember is he works really hard on this idea for a choose your own adventure comic book, then a higher ranking guy shits all over his idea and embarrasses him in front of the board in petty revenge for a perceived slight from earlier. I remember that being a really good scene basically slapping him in the face with the realization that being an adult doesn't mean you don't get picked on.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Sometimes he's a normal guy. Sometimes he agrees into dust. It varies a bit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

EdBlackadder posted:

Sometimes he's a normal guy. Sometimes he agrees into dust. It varies a bit.

BLACK ADAM sits, staring intently at a pile of dust, chin cupped in one hand, nodding slightly.

BLACK ADAM
Yes. Yes, I see. You make a good point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's like zero chance the Black Adam movie will have ISIS, isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Talking about Black Adam reminded me of that time Shazam changes Adam's magic word to try and keep him from transforming, but wouldn't you know it:

• Locked thread