Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

TheHeadSage posted:

Also help, I am trapped in a mahjong pit and I cannot escape.

played a bit last night. im getting better at forming my hand but im still garbage at reading the board and not giving the opponents the tiles they need :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DizzyBum posted:

I don't see any scheduled maintenance. Are they just turning on Blue Mage quests when the weekly reset hits? I know they said the quests will be implemented one week after the patch was released.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1084889261269286912

Yep

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish I played a Lalafell so I could waddle around in my fancy BLU clothes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I think SB Gaius is being defined as a Lawful Evil sort, as opposed to Varis' Chaotic Evil. Dude's still a fantasy magic Nazi, but I think he'd agree with how The Old Republic puts it: "The masses cannot fear you if there are no masses." Gaius wants to rule the world with an iron fist, Varis wants to destroy the world (and become a god or something because JRPG). Gaius is probably very trustworthy as far as that goes, and not one step further.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if SE tries to rehabilitate him because players love him, nevermind all the people he's killed and his super creepy and hosed up relationship with Junia.

I was kind of afraid of this but given the mature way they handled

Fordola, I’m not all that worried. The story explicitly acknowledged Fordola as someone who simultaneously cannot be forgiven yet also someone who is doing the right and laudable thing for not letting that stop her from trying to do better now.

I think that’s a very good message about redemption. Redemption isn’t duing heroically it’s living with having done horrible things and not letting that compel you to double down.

IF they try to rehabilitate him at all anyway. Right now I’m assuming he’s either Lawful Rvil or a man on a suicide mission of revenge who doesn’t plan to outlive his cause.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would not want any of that, no.

Fordola's rehabilitation mostly consists of shoving her aside post-3.3 setpiece instance, and we NEVER HEAR FROM HER AGAIN EXCEPT IN PASSING, by which I mean a short story on Lodestone, and really, I think that's just a complete waste of an otherwise-compelling character.

Also, now that I think about it, where the gently caress is my Yuyuhase and Laurentius trial setpiece, Yoshi-P?!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That article says blu is very powerful, but looking at the datamined skill list I'm not sure how that bears out in practice (other than brief windows where you can self buff + enemy debuff + primal attack). They say the weapon doesn't have any substats so maybe it lets you meld a shitload of INT?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also, now that I think about it, where the gently caress is my Yuyuhase and Laurentius trial setpiece, Yoshi-P?!

Isn't it obvious at this point? They'll escape and/or get broken out in the 4.55 battle and continue to be recurring villains for at least one more expansion.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kuvo posted:

played a bit last night. im getting better at forming my hand but im still garbage at reading the board and not giving the opponents the tiles they need :negative:

http://arcturus.su/wiki/Defense

But probably the biggest thing to learn is the furiten rules and keeping an eye on winds/honors and not to hold on to them for too long. I see a lot of people holding on to them until some of the last cards and then discarding them and it can be so, so dangerous. You potentially giving the yaku or, at least, 1-han and it can help complete (half)flush hands, which are basically almost guaranteed mangan or haneman.

Other quick tips are that you don't always have to call riichi. When you're down to the last few discards, the odds of you getting your wait becomes pretty low and you should still be able to win. If your hand is relying entirely on riichi for the yaku then it was trash to begin with and gently caress you :D But even in this case, just being in tempai at the end will get you paid off (or at least not have to pay) and that alone is probably worth more than your potential winnings with riichi.

Also watch out for really strong hands and just do not discard into them no matter what. If you see someone has two dragon pons and you've got the third one just sitting in your hand, even if you can get into tempai by discarding it, it would be incredibly stupid to do so. Same thing for people who potentially hold a flush, etc. Even if it means you yourself don't win or even lose tempai, it's a lot better than paying off that haneman or baiman. This ties back into the previous point of not calling riichi, because then you're ceding control of what tiles you discard, which renders you unable to play defensively.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I really like the SB leitmotif but Dragonsong being everywhere was definitely better - I miss the HW quest jingles. The music in Kugane is great though, speaking of which...

I've beaten the hardest/most annoying boss in FFXIV.

And drat that picture quality takes a hit when you transfer from a PS4.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

thanks for this

also for those trying to learn mahjong like me, SE has the tutorial for it on the lodestone site so you can bring it up on another monitor while you play

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/contentsguide/goldsaucer/doman-mahjong/

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

iTrust posted:

I really like the SB leitmotif but Dragonsong being everywhere was definitely better - I miss the HW quest jingles. The music in Kugane is great though, speaking of which...

I've beaten the hardest/most annoying boss in FFXIV.

And drat that picture quality takes a hit when you transfer from a PS4.

Wear that Crimson Explorer title and make randos cry when they ask you how to get it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Good name for a male Roe

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Heavensward was just a stronger expansion overall I feel from a musical, environmental, and story standpoint all at once. Nothing in Stormblood gave me the same awe factor that walking into Sea of Clouds for the first time did for instance and Azys Lla is still just one of the best endgame areas even though it's still criminally underused.

That said, the Lochs' nighttime theme is aces and the Azim Steppe has a gorgeous theme too as well as just being one of the coolest places for unique lore with the au'ra tribes and stuff.

I'm really looking forward to Shadowbringers and hope that it goes back to a quality level closer to Heavensward. Mayhaps with it, in theory, not being split between two regions and two stories it will feel more cohesive.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

That article says blu is very powerful, but looking at the datamined skill list I'm not sure how that bears out in practice (other than brief windows where you can self buff + enemy debuff + primal attack). They say the weapon doesn't have any substats so maybe it lets you meld a shitload of INT?

There are 2 weapons in game currently and one of them has no meld slots. I am thinking that either they are full of poo poo and the job is going to be real bad, or the scaling with int is going to be super funky since the weapon damage isn't factoring into their equations and it does end up doing comedy levels of damage.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Failboattootoot posted:

There are 2 weapons in game currently and one of them has no meld slots. I am thinking that either they are full of poo poo and the job is going to be real bad, or the scaling with int is going to be super funky since the weapon damage isn't factoring into their equations and it does end up doing comedy levels of damage.

My money is on the latter.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I'm going to guess that either the majority of the class's damage is baked into invisible scaling with level that's behind the scenes with int playing a small factor in comparison, or that its weapon just scales with level and has the same amount of weapon damage/int as a max ilvl weapon of the same level. Given the weirdly low potency the class has, I'm guessing it's the former so they don't need to sweat players taking weird melds into the carnival.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Stormblood areas were more fun to explore and had better pacing before you got flying. The only place in heavensward that got close to that level was the western highlands

Heavensward music was way better though I agree

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Agreed that Heavensward has more OH WOW moments. Makes sense since the theme is scope - tall towers, high mountains, big skies, always going up. Add snow and older civilizations, and it's hard to compete with. For my money, though, watching the sun rise over Ala Mhigo rules, especially with the daytime theme kicking in, and the misty mountains to the south are real pretty. Similar visuals in the Gardens, too. Also, heading down to Shisui the first time was spooky, and as mentioned Azim is awesome. Sunsets in the Ruby Sea are real nice.

I like a lot of tracks from both expansions, only ones that bug me are Arboretum Hard and Neverreap (the latter because it contributes to the dungeon feeling like a slog as is). Omega's music has been wonderful, especially O12's theme. Leitmotif is extremely my poo poo, so I dig any hints of the Stormblood main theme.

One request in Shadowbringers: bring back the rock pieces.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just want the ability to select the start menu music between each of the three.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cabbit posted:

I really like it, and I installed one of those things that automatically plays bard performances for you so I can play the Kugane theme anywhere in the world.

Well, that and Oblivion.

Why would you ever install Oblivion?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

isk posted:

It's the only way we can get a trial better than Sephirot

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Let's not forget that as of Stormblood, Godbert Manderville is officially canon.

Before that actually; he was one of the members of the Syndicate in the ARR meeting with Nanamo who voted not to let the Doman refugees stay in Ul'Dah. His face is covered by his hood but you can make out his beard a couple of times. He's also the anonymous guy in the hot spring at Bronze Lake that gives you the Meteor Survivor ring; he makes you massage him a bunch of times (if you do that quest before Hildibrand he mentions he remembers you and your "magic fingers").

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The female Elezen dance looks exactly like what you would get if you just randomly asked someone to dance with no music or prompting.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

isk posted:

Byakko and O11 are right there mate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
someone please link a list of NPCs to buy NQ caster gear from so I can jam a bunch of INT materia in while leveling, thank you and god bless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Not only have BLU's spell locations been mined, people have already made a rotation for it.

:psyduck:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ibblebibble posted:

Byakko and O11 are right there mate.

They are! I'd like more like them.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The female Elezen dance looks exactly like what you would get if you just randomly asked someone to dance with no music or prompting.

Have you checked out the male Elezen dance? It’s downright spiteful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Have you checked out the male Elezen dance? It’s downright spiteful.
I try not to look at male Elezen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not only have BLU's spell locations been mined, people have already made a rotation for it.

Well it assumes actually having the right ones, but there are some obvious combos (use spell 1 that dubuffs lighting resistance, spam spell 2 that deals lighting damage) and as long as buff timers are known the rest kind of flows from there.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
all racial dances are awkward, as it should be

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's quaint that people thought this would turn out any other way.

I'm still going to try and go in as blind as possible - getting the spells IS the major appeal of the job. If you rush through with a guide somewhere just to say you did it, well have fun with your level 50 side class you can't use for much else, I guess?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mode 7 posted:

It's quaint that people thought this would turn out any other way.

I'm still going to try and go in as blind as possible - getting the spells IS the major appeal of the job. If you rush through with a guide somewhere just to say you did it, well have fun with your level 50 side class you can't use for much else, I guess?

Using a guide is just replicating the traditional Blue Mage experience!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

This character seems vaguely familiar for some reason.

hello fellow blue-grey yellow-eyed elezen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When do I use Defiance? How many of the attacks that use the beast gauge do I need before it becomes useful?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

FactsAreUseless posted:

When do I use Defiance? How many of the attacks that use the beast gauge do I need before it becomes useful?

If you're in content that's below level 52, then don't ever turn it off. Inner Beast is worth it pretty much immediately.

Warrior kinda sucks until level 54.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ragnar Homsar posted:

If you're in content that's below level 52, then don't ever turn it off. Inner Beast is worth it pretty much immediately.

Warrior kinda sucks until level 54.
Okay, so that is how the math works out? I wasn't sure. IB is pretty good damage, but I didn't know if the damage penalty on other stuff hurt too much at this level. Great to know.

Also I have a MCH main, I'm not worried about a class that sucks early on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

people made simulators to practice RDM's rotation weeks before SB came out

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

This character seems vaguely familiar for some reason.

hello fellow blue-grey yellow-eyed elezen
I have like six or seven character of various levels, including a second Elezen. I actually like ARR content and I enjoy the low-level areas a lot - especially La Noscea - so I end up making new characters after I have to take long breaks. Only three of them stuck long-term.

My other Elezen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, so that is how the math works out? I wasn't sure. IB is pretty good damage, but I didn't know if the damage penalty on other stuff hurt too much at this level. Great to know.

Also I have a MCH main, I'm not worried about a class that sucks early on.

I think so? Probably? If you're in content where you're WAR and you don't have Deliverance then it's better to eat the damage penalty and be able to tank better than deal a bit more with your GCDs while being locked out of Inner Beast.

WAR's the least-leveled of all my jobs but I'm pretty sure that's right.