Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kurash posted:

This is disingenuous as gently caress seeing as how there's half a dozen luchadores that show up as a 'special attraction' then shuffled to the lower midcard for sporadic appearances. Yes, this is largely due to them not being in AEW proper before being signed, but I think it's a valid complaint when these wrestlers aren't given enough time or push to really get past that 'special attraction' status... Especially when it's been a pattern for some time for many wrestlers.

Now this is way way more to do with HOW they are being used. It's not that the average fan can't tell Dralistico and Komander apart, it's that them and many others frequently occupy the same spot and doing the same thing on the card.

Yes Dralistico occupies exactly the same spot, being in a faction with RUSH, as Komander, who doesn't really have any allegiances, picks up wins occasionally, but is mostly used to pop the crowd for battle royales. What the gently caress are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Pylons posted:

Yes Dralistico occupies exactly the same spot, being in a faction with RUSH, as Komander, who doesn't really have any allegiances, picks up wins occasionally, but is mostly used to pop the crowd for battle royales. What the gently caress are you talking about?

That sounds like they really are the same thing when there's no opportunity to learn or care about these wrestlers.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Wasn't that last couple years of HHH-booked NXT also kinda bad? Like, I think some people are just expecting WWE to suddenly become a completely different show when that's not really gonna happen.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kurash posted:

That sounds like they really are the same thing when there's no opportunity to learn or care about these wrestlers.

I care about them. Maybe grow a bigger heart?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

My WWE viewing habits haven't changed since 2019 and they've done nothing to get me to watch any more than in this pattern: Watch Royal Rumble, catch a couple Smackdowns, fast forward through a RAW or two until Mania. Watch Mania, get upset. Watch the RAW After, get upset. Stop watching anything even on demand, but stay informed through the internet because I'm a sicko. Watch Summerslam, get upset. Wait until Royal Rumble, repeat cycle.

It definitely hasn't gotten better, that twitter person is delusional.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kurash posted:

Should one of them throw a pie?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

When was Dralistico pushed as a special attraction?

Kurash
May 12, 2008

They should be treated like the Lucha Bros and have opportunities to exhibit and grow their characters

Lamuella posted:

When was Dralistico pushed as a special attraction?

My bad for choosing the one name that got shuffled away even without the customary rub

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"Shuffled away"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's really cool that AEW brings in guys from other promotions that I'm invested in because of those promotions as special attractions. Makes the wrestling world feel bigger

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Pylons posted:

"Shuffled away"

Third guy behind Preston Vance. Yeah

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
"WWE doesn't have overly scripted promos anymore!"

Weren't they recently making GBS threads themselves over a 45 minute promo segment?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kurash posted:

My bad for choosing the one name that got shuffled away even without the customary rub

Weird, it's almost like you didn't have half a dozen examples.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Lamuella posted:

Weird, it's almost like you didn't have half a dozen examples.

Having three real examples in Bandido, Komander and Vikingo (despite being unmasked is still unpushed, unbuilt and unused) is three too many. We'll see how Mistico plays out

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kurash posted:

Having three real examples in Bandido, Komander and Vikingo (despite being unmasked is still unpushed, unbuilt and unused) is three too many. We'll see how Mistico plays out

Bandido is injured and Komander is the only other person on the roster in that list.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kurash posted:

Bandido's been out with injuries since June. I don't believe Vikingo is under contract.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

mooseinfants posted:

WWE has definitely improved. It's gone from a 2/10 to a 4-5/10. Still not nearly good enough, but a lot of the hilariously bad nonsense stuff they used to do has mostly stopped, which is a shame because I've really grown to enjoy stuff like that the last few years

And it turns out unfortunately that 4-5 out of 10 is enough for a depressing amount of people

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Dying on a hill for your opinion by making a big derail in the bad opinion thread is certainly a choice.

LionYeti posted:

And it turns out unfortunately that 4-5 out of 10 is enough for a depressing amount of people
Someone on a VoW podcast a while ago said "Every time WWE gets 5% better people act like it's Citizen Kane".

Kurash
May 12, 2008

The idea that the audience might be fatigued by 'special attractions' when they've been historically mishandled is a fine hill to die on. I can eat a probe for a derail

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Going back to the original tweet, I also like how they framed that bad era of WWE as "late 2010's" as if that wasn't like, 3 years ago.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bonk posted:

"WWE doesn't have overly scripted promos anymore!"

Weren't they recently making GBS threads themselves over a 45 minute promo segment?

THE TRIAL OF ROMAN REIGNS.

Remember, if the Bloodline is involved it's the greatest goddamn thing to ever happen and Roman Reigns is the greatest of all time.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dralistico's never really been used as a Special Attraction, just a midcarder. I think Vikingo's last couple of TV appearances could have been made to feel more special - teaming him with Action Andretti & Darius Martin against Bullet Club Gold in a random Collision job was beneath him.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kurash posted:

The idea that the audience might be fatigued by 'special attractions' when they've been historically mishandled is a fine hill to die on. I can eat a probe for a derail
Missing the point, in that there is an AEW discussion thread, so by default you're already up against a wall here. It's also very close to the "AEW will run out of pops" sentiment that gets dunked on here all the time, and it's not even really accurate: ROH has recently become a big showcase for luchadores in the US again, which is how it was well before TK bought it, so this sounds more like a you problem rather than something you've perceived about "the audience".

Drakkel posted:

Going back to the original tweet, I also like how they framed that bad era of WWE as "late 2010's" as if that wasn't like, 3 years ago.
I mean, anything that happened before the pandemic might as well be a million years ago.

But you're not wrong - I've seen people nostalgic for the WWE Thunderdome, as opposed to live crowds. THAT's an insane take.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I watched some of raw like 2 weeks ago or something, after having not watched in probably years. it wasnt bad but I would still probably watched the worst episode of dynamite from the past 3 years than it. seths gimmick is awful though. just terrible.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 22, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kurash posted:

They should be treated like the Lucha Bros and have opportunities to exhibit and grow their characters

I agree with you in principle here but realistically TK is not going to give a meaningful push or a title belt to anyone who's not signed full time. That's just how it is

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Drakkel posted:

Wasn't that last couple years of HHH-booked NXT also kinda bad? Like, I think some people are just expecting WWE to suddenly become a completely different show when that's not really gonna happen.

It was, it got badly exposed once they moved to 2 hours live instead of 1 hour taped.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I watched some of raw like 2 weeks ago or something, after having not watched in probably years. it wasnt bad but I would still probably watched the worst episode of dynamite from the past 3 years than it. seths gimmick is awful though. just terrible.

It's absolutely wild, a good episode of RAW is basically on the level of an episode of Dynamite where everyone immediately goes AEW IS SO DONE when it finishes. WWE quality is graded on such a curve that it's nigh impossible to tell when someone genuinely thinks that a WWE match was great or if it was just great in comparision to the average WWE match.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 22, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Reddit about Lexis King posted:

I think he deserves an honest chance with proper coaching and developmental. Not many people could have made much of themselves being just thrown out there the way he was. He's not a bad guy so I'm looking forward to seeing if he can cut it now that he's being given real training beyond just the fundamentals.

I wonder what these people believe wrestlers did before the Performance Center was created. Beepie went to wrestling school and has wrestled ~350 matches since 2018. The average wrestler trying to make it would have killed for the opportunities he was given

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I wonder what these people believe wrestlers did before the Performance Center was created. Beepie went to wrestling school and has wrestled ~350 matches since 2018. The average wrestler trying to make it would have killed for the opportunities he was given

They're convinced the performance centre can mold anyone from raw clay into a main eventer citing such examples as

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

They're convinced the performance centre can mold anyone from raw clay into a main eventer citing such examples as

Bianca Belair is the only one I can think of, and I'm not sure how she (or anyone else in the WWE system besides the few joshi they've hired) would handle wrestling a match she hasn't rehearsed a billion times, or even someone who doesn't work the WWE house style.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

CombineThresher posted:

Bianca Belair is the only one I can think of, and I'm not sure how she (or anyone else in the WWE system besides the few joshi they've hired) would handle wrestling a match she hasn't rehearsed a billion times, or even someone who doesn't work the WWE house style.
It's always really telling whenever a WWE wrestler jumps to AEW but then kinda sucks for a month or two while they adjust, and then they find their niche and turn out better than they ever were.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bonk posted:

It's always really telling whenever a WWE wrestler jumps to AEW but then kinda sucks for a month or two while they adjust, and then they find their niche and turn out better than they ever were.

Yeah, that WWE house style isn't really compatible with anything outside their system. The other option is to do what Matt Cardona did and somehow successfully work the fact that he still kinda sucks into his gimmick for heat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kurash posted:

This is disingenuous as gently caress seeing as how there's half a dozen luchadores that show up as a 'special attraction' then shuffled to the lower midcard for sporadic appearances. Yes, this is largely due to them not being in AEW proper before being signed, but I think it's a valid complaint when these wrestlers aren't given enough time or push to really get past that 'special attraction' status... Especially when it's been a pattern for some time for many wrestlers.

Now this is way way more to do with HOW they are being used. It's not that the average fan can't tell Dralistico and Komander apart, it's that them and many others frequently occupy the same spot and doing the same thing on the card.

Dralistico was brought in as a guy without a contract to do jobs, not as a special attraction. Of the guys in the regular lower midcard who got a special attraction billing... it's Komander. And that billing was for a multiman ladder match. The only one who hasn't really gotten past special attraction status is Vikingo, because yes he is not signed so they just bring him in for fun matches when they can. He's also not a masked guy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

those goddamn interchangeable masked wrestlers like Vikingo, Rush and Andrade

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Weird how Uno never gets brought up as a masked wrestler.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
or mjf

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheRajGiri/status/1716166049366688020

peak fed brain. tony khan is apparently weak for paying for his workers medical bills.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

They should act like a real wrestling company that simply fires people when they get injured like WCW did

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ringo Roadagain posted:

https://twitter.com/TheRajGiri/status/1716166049366688020

peak fed brain. tony khan is apparently weak for paying for his workers medical bills.

With all due respect to Darby, I don't think he could rack up enough medical bills for it to financially matter to TK in any real way.

There are touring shows of people doing stunts like that night after night, so is it even more dangerous than a typical Darby match?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

beepo posted:

With all due respect to Darby, I don't think he could rack up enough medical bills for it to financially matter to TK in any real way.

Dammit now you've laid down the gauntlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's quite funny and surprising that Darby has been able to wrestle at least one match every month (outside June 2020) of his AEW career.