Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's the one. Real good, no? I love that The Lavender Hill Mob is on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The bulkiness of early sound equipment probably set back advanced camera techniques in film by a decade or more.

Not really, it's just that most studios balked at the extra work it took to get that sort of camera work with sound film or didn't want to compromise on technical limitations.

Look at nearly anything made by Ernst Lubitsch, Alfred Hitchcock, Rouben Mamoulian, Josef von Sternberg, Lewis Milestone, Fritz Lang, Raoul Walsh, William Wellman, etc. from 1929-1939.

If you look at the duds of the 20s, they're generally as static as the lesser sound films of the late 20s and 30s.

I really recommend checking out Ernst Lubitsch's first sound film, The Love Parade, as well as Rouben Mamoulian's first film Applause since they are way more advanced in camera technique than what you'd expect from 1929. Applause has stuff like location shooting in a subway station and rack focus shots.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, the more ambitious and talented directors usually managed to find ways to work around the limitations of early sound cinema. The hacks just plunked the camera down somewhere like it was 18 loving 90 and called it a day, because who wants to have to think about that stuff?

One thing I find very eerie about that era when sound is a recent invention is that some films still have parts where there is just complete silence, no room tone, no music just nothing. There is a lot of this in Dracula and I think part of a scene in M but I'm struggling to remember more examples at the moment. It always feels very jarring and creepy which, in the case of Dracula at least, made the films even better.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, the more ambitious and talented directors usually managed to find ways to work around the limitations of early sound cinema. The hacks just plunked the camera down somewhere like it was 18 loving 90 and called it a day, because who wants to have to think about that stuff?

One thing I find very eerie about that era when sound is a recent invention is that some films still have parts where there is just complete silence, no room tone, no music just nothing. There is a lot of this in Dracula and I think part of a scene in M but I'm struggling to remember more examples at the moment. It always feels very jarring and creepy which, in the case of Dracula at least, made the films even better.

The introduction of Frankenstein's monster in complete silence is quite unnerving.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Silence in film just feels really weird in general. Like we're so used to there always being some sound that it just makes us squirm when it gets taken away. Like that scene in Bande a Part where they decide to have a minutes silence but only make it 30 seconds but it feels like an eternity.

I have an idea that I that I want to use for something where a haunted house would have a silent spot in it. Like a character would step into a certain doorway or hall and then there would be no sound at all and the character would be aware of this and freak the gently caress out. It would probably have to have something more to it though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah there was some silence in Silence. Made me think about how rare that is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Everyone needs to see The Love Parade. You'd think Lubitsch had been making talkies for a decade from how he's firing on full cylinders. And it's not just the technique - it's also thickly pre-code with stuff like Maurice Chevalier going to bed with Jeannette MacDonald, followed by shots of cannons firing or a song titled "Anything to Please the Queen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EXpctIGCpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtoyL6l4p6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKEX6syFdDk

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
MoviePass is dropping access to certain theatres. :(

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/956650853288501248

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Prettt dope list

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Spatula City posted:

Netflix seems like a massive financial scheme that will ultimately collapse in a few years, when it's revealed they've never actually been profitable.

It's the same plan as Uber and all these other hosed up companies, they bleed money in torrents providing a product they can't afford to to become ubiquitous and drown out the competition

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

BOOOOOOO.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Proposition Joe posted:

At least it's just lovely AMC theaters. Was it ever fully explained why there were mad at seemingly getting more money?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean AMC have been fighting this since Moviepass announced the price drop, so it's not that surprising. It's still hard to know how AMC even had the power to stop it though. They must just lawyered the poo poo out of them

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Cool, the closest AMC to me is on that list so I'm suddenly looking like a genius for passing on the $99 deal they had.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Franchescanado posted:

At least it's just lovely AMC theaters. Was it ever fully explained why there were mad at seemingly getting more money?

The rumor is is that they were going to be releasing their own MoviePass-like card before MoviePass dropped their price and beat them to it.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean AMC have been fighting this since Moviepass announced the price drop, so it's not that surprising. It's still hard to know how AMC even had the power to stop it though. They must just lawyered the poo poo out of them

According to a tweet in the article AMC didn't drop them, MoviePass did.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

It's presumably because it devalues it in people's minds. Like with movies at home now, you often think that your don't want to pay for a rental because your can just watch it on streaming and if it's not there you don't bother. I think AMC fears the same thing. Like if moviepass fails, they don't want people now used to not paying $10-20 a ticket.

I'm not saying this fear is sensible but it's all I can really fathom

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I rented a bunch of movie I missed in 2017 to watch over the weekend. Tell me what I should watch first/together:

Brigsby Bear
The Beguiled
A Ghost Story
Detroit
Wind River

I also have:
Your Name
Stronger
Battle of the Sexes
American Made
Columbus
War for the Planet of the Apes
A Cure for Wellness

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Beguiled.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't see the list of AMCs. Anyone mind linking?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
A Ghost Story

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I thought Brigsby Bear was a fun little movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't see the list of AMCs. Anyone mind linking?

I guess you have to look up your local theater yourself:
https://www.moviepass.com/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like my locations are unnaffected. Phew.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's presumably because it devalues it in people's minds. Like with movies at home now, you often think that your don't want to pay for a rental because your can just watch it on streaming and if it's not there you don't bother. I think AMC fears the same thing. Like if moviepass fails, they don't want people now used to not paying $10-20 a ticket.

I'm not saying this fear is sensible but it's all I can really fathom

That's a really good spin on it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
AMC is also all about making the worst possible decisions to get people to come to their theaters

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
RE: Netflix, I have no problem believing that at some point they turned a pretty tidy profit, unlike something like Uber or even Twitter, which basically has no source of revenue.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some Bill & Ted 3 details. Somehow they can't get funding.

This really is the garbage timeline isn't it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Some Bill & Ted 3 details. Somehow they can't get funding.
This really is the garbage timeline isn't it.

I can see the logic the author is kvetching over. I loving love both of the movies to death, but I know lots of people who have no idea about the franchise. The only broad-scope attractor the film has is Keanu.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I rented a bunch of movie I missed in 2017 to watch over the weekend. Tell me what I should watch first/together:

A Ghost Story

War for the Planet of the Apes
A Cure for Wellness

These three are all dope

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
For a movie about getting it on with a fish-man god, The Shape of Water is surprisingly antiseptic, almost like a sci-fi equivalent of 50 Shades Darker.

It's got nothing on Swamp Thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

For a movie about getting it on with a fish-man god, The Shape of Water is surprisingly antiseptic, almost like a sci-fi equivalent of 50 Shades Darker.

It's got nothing on Swamp Thing.

How does the Swamp Thing sequel compare to the original? We've had the DVD sitting around for a couple years.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

How does the Swamp Thing sequel compare to the original? We've had the DVD sitting around for a couple years.

I unfortunately can't comment, but I am seriously considering just popping on Swamp Thing tonight. poo poo rules.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

I mean, the main character is a janitor, so it's thematically apt.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So Trump ordered Mueller fired, but his own people said they'd resign before they would do so.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, the main character is a janitor, so it's thematically apt.

Nah. At most, Elisa is shown as being mildly eccentric, but she's not overly cleanly or orderly or punctual. If her profession was supposed to betray certain significant aspects of her personality, where she works actually suggests explicitly that they aren't any more significant than any of her other co-workers. She's working in a dank, underfunded, under-resourced government base, and this environment is never depicted as informing in her any sense of repulsion. It's the opposite. We are shown her explicitly going about her routine in contentment, she accepts the world for what it is, which is what actually informs her ability to open up so emotionally and physically to the fish-man.

What makes the story feel antiseptic is its removed, fairy tale frame of reference, from that of Giles, who is telling the story. This isn't expression of Elisa's cleanliness or whatever, its Giles desire to not truly look. It's even rather pedestrian, the way del Toro resolves the question of the existence of fish-man penis but just having Elisa and Zelda casually joke about it. Even in this scene, we're informed that the penis is retractable, so we're also being assured, even when the fish-man isn't there, that his sexuality is off-screen.

The cleverest motif in the film actually mirrors this in terms of our information about Elisa's sexual life - as informed by Giles' framing, his desire not to look. The eggs that Elisa feeds the fish-man are part of a double-entendre, a reference to her own internal, invisible sex - which is actually deflated by the comic image of Elisa ritualistically masturbating to an egg-timer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/g1Sq1Nr58hM

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

:same:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Bigger Than Life is super duper good, no idea how that got made in the 50s, incredible.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People just want to put something in their eyeballs that's relatively consistent and easily accessible.

No wonder contact lenses took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Whatever, I'mma watch Godzilla vs. Gigan for the first time since I was, like, 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bV1P9scY0k

• Locked thread