Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That sounds like just the kind of skill I need for my flanking Zao pl—*gets citadeled by AP bombs and 18 inch overmatch*

e: shameful

e2: Imagine your teammates screaming at you for intruding on their bubble of 4 skill point superpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

General Battuta posted:

That sounds like just the kind of skill I need for my flanking Zao pl—*gets citadeled by AP bombs and 18 inch overmatch*

e: shameful

e2: Imagine your teammates screaming at you for intruding on their bubble of 4 skill point superpower

there was too much cooperation going on, and Wargaming needed to discourage team play

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
War gaming understood that cruiser AA was simply too powerful, and is encouraging you to spread out to help skylords return to their rightful place as cHoOsErS oF tHe SlAiN :eng101:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Some of the skills are mind-bogglingly stupid, like "how the gently caress would anyone who plays the game come up with this poo poo" stupid. Like a cruiser skill that gives you -10% main battery reload and +8% top speed if you have more spotted enemies in your base firing range than friendlies.

Which is a skill that's extremely difficult to get to pop in any normal situation and often isn't in any way in your own control, and costs 4 skill points.

Yeah I watched Flamu’s videos on the skills changes and I was laughing at that one. It’s the sort of skill that someone who has never played the game would dream up. I guess they’re trying to encourage cruisers to be more aggressive? But the caveats on it are ridiculous.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Preechr posted:

War gaming understood that cruiser AA was simply too powerful, and is encouraging you to spread out to help skylords return to their rightful place as cHoOsErS oF tHe SlAiN :eng101:

Just wait until they launch an entire line of paper Soviet carriers, and the top tiers have cruise missiles and jets.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Skill that gives your cruiser +10% rof as long as your bow is pointed towards the side of the map you spawned on :hai:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Skill that lets your cruiser heal citadel damage in the first three minutes of the match :cool:

Skill that makes your cruiser’s concealment radius slowly shrink whenever you’re not firing, at ten minutes without firing you become totally invisible. Getting spotted or firing totally resets all your progress. Ultimate pubby cruiser skill :ninja:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
You joke but I feel like I'd take all three of those on the Venezia.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I watched Flamu’s videos on the skills changes and I was laughing at that one. It’s the sort of skill that someone who has never played the game would dream up. I guess they’re trying to encourage cruisers to be more aggressive? But the caveats on it are ridiculous.

Yeah. The idea is sound: "how can we encourage cruisers to flank the enemy" is a pretty good starting point, but the execution is just below awful. As General Battuta points out, a solo cruiser is a dead cruiser in the 2020 WoWS meta. Beyond that, you have to be EXTREMELY ALONE on that flank's border to get any use out of that bonus. A couple of people decided to lemming train after you? A few people have taken a central position on the map? Tough poo poo, your 4 point skill is useless.

You can always detect friendlies within range, but not enemies, so you will almost always have less detected enemies within range than friendlies.

With this and the "your BB gets a buff if you're humping the border" poo poo, as well as the "+7% AP damage but fires and floods last twice as long" skills, as well as removing fire prevention from supercruisers... I really seriously think at least a significant portion of the design team does not actually play the game, because they obviously have no idea how things actually interact.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Some of the skills are mind-bogglingly stupid, like "how the gently caress would anyone who plays the game come up with this poo poo" stupid. Like a cruiser skill that gives you -10% main battery reload and +8% top speed if you have more spotted enemies in your base firing range than friendlies.

Which is a skill that's extremely difficult to get to pop in any normal situation and often isn't in any way in your own control, and costs 4 skill points.

That one would be pretty good if you could activate it consistently. Most of the high tier cruisers have enough range to make it hard, but in a Des Moines you can go to a flank and 1v1 people so you have it active all game.

What I don't understand is the skill that gives enemies worse dispersion for 15 seconds after your destroyer is spotted. It does almost nothing if you use your guns, does nothing if you're playing never spotted gunless asashio unless you gently caress up and get spotted, and doesn't help against CV spotting since you just die to the rocket planes. All it does is make it more annoying to kill dumb pubbies that walk into a radar ship and act surprised when it uses radar. :psyduck:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think it's for people who go into caps before radar cruisers are spotted.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

James Garfield posted:

That one would be pretty good if you could activate it consistently. Most of the high tier cruisers have enough range to make it hard, but in a Des Moines you can go to a flank and 1v1 people so you have it active all game.

Yeah, it'd be decent (possibly not four points decent though) if it wasn't a pain in the rear end to activate, but as it stands now it seems like a complete waste of points.

Good call about the DM though. A reload mod + brawling Des Moines alone on a flank would be a pretty hilarious machine gun.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I can see some people with legendary mod Henri's doing some fun stuff. You can take the HE bonus damage that increases detection range, the mod itself adding range and detection range, and now its detected from across the map, but is dropping 240mm shells every 9s or so.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So yes in conclusion, the skills rework has been done by some executives son.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
the ideas are cool but the execution is awful

if you want to make skills that encourage aggressive play you should probably think about what would happen if a ship were to actually be outnumbered on a flank, which is die by a CV

it shoulda been something like a buff that gets stronger the more enemies are within your detection radius, or perhaps even a debuff to enemy dispersion if 4+ people are focusing your ship, idk
increase AA power and flak rate of fire by 100% for 20 seconds after taking damage from an aircraft, how about that

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Hazdoc posted:

the ideas are cool but the execution is awful

if you want to make skills that encourage aggressive play you should probably think about what would happen if a ship were to actually be outnumbered on a flank, which is die by a CV

it shoulda been something like a buff that gets stronger the more enemies are within your detection radius, or perhaps even a debuff to enemy dispersion if 4+ people are focusing your ship, idk
increase AA power and flak rate of fire by 100% for 20 seconds after taking damage from an aircraft, how about that

Them splitting the trees out is a good idea, and could have let them do some interesting ideas for ships, and then they did this.

I like your idea of a skill that adjusts dispersion on target. Because you could tie to either a flanking ship or ship holding a corner.
Or a BB skill that increased secondary ROF as you got closer to enemy ships.
Also why are there so many torpedo focused skills in the cruiser tree? Most cruisers don't use their torps all that much.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CitizenKain posted:

Them splitting the trees out is a good idea, and could have let them do some interesting ideas for ships, and then they did this.

I like your idea of a skill that adjusts dispersion on target. Because you could tie to either a flanking ship or ship holding a corner.
Or a BB skill that increased secondary ROF as you got closer to enemy ships.
Also why are there so many torpedo focused skills in the cruiser tree? Most cruisers don't use their torps all that much.

Because the idiots that have them often suicide to use them.

The tech tree change makes sense if you view it through a lens of 'would an absolute trash player make use of this skill'.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

serious gaylord posted:

Because the idiots that have them often suicide to use them.

The tech tree change makes sense if you view it through a lens of 'would an absolute trash player make use of this skill'.

This is perfect for me

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I am in ranked relegation. It's an eternal coinflip. I got a kraken, confederate, three caps, double strike, and lost. I had every kill on my team.

This is agony.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Blindeye posted:

I am in ranked relegation. It's an eternal coinflip. I got a kraken, confederate, three caps, double strike, and lost. I had every kill on my team.

This is agony.

Players like you are held back by players like me. On behalf of all us bads, you need to carry even harder.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Dalael posted:

Players like you are held back by players like me. On behalf of all us bads, you need to carry even harder.

Naw, the next game our three BBs reversed in spawn, then went west to the corner of the map while us three DDs fought tooth and nail and managed to kill everything and get a point lead save for a 1200hp yugumo. it took 2 minutes for the BBs to even get close enough to protect the caps, and then the pommern didn't know he had hydro and rushed a smoke cloud and died to 5 torps.

How do I know he had hydro? He never used it.

Our Thunderer who got high caliber but was 2nd lowest XP (burned down a single BB from 20km out) insisted that if he got high caliber he did nothing wrong. We three DDs politely tried to explain the game and at first he seemed receptive, then started cursing that he's a super "uni Cum" player and does so well and there was someone yelling out racial slurs so it was great.

His stats are public and they're awful. Four hundred games in the Thunderer with a 48% winrate and a 45% overall winrate.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Speaking of new players and ranked. I have just finished my Bronze League thing that makes it possible to qualify for Silver League. I used a Benson DD and will now use a Fletcher. Is there anything special I should do as DD in ranked? Usually I prefer to go to the furthest away neutral cap and often take a wide path so I can spot the cap from odd angles before I move into it. Also I try to save smoke for my team BBs abd cruisers when they move out in open.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Staying alive is the best thing you can do to help your team. DDs have much greater impact in mid-late game, in both randoms and ranked.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Ranked is making me realize how much I really don’t like this game anymore. I was in my Atago and I had moved aggressively down an unprotected flank. I was firing at two BB’s and had multiple fires going on both and generally messing up the positioning of the whole enemy team. Then the big hand in the sky decided that I had enough fun and wiped me out of existence...

I had a lot of no carrier games last ranked season, I guess I was just lucky.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 29, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Ranked is making me realize how much I really don’t like this game anymore. I was in my Atago and I had moved aggressively down an unprotected flank. I was firing at two BB’s and had multiple fires going on both and generally messing up the positioning of the whole enemy team. Then the big hand in the sky decided that I had enough fun and wiped me out of existence...

I had a lot of no carrier games last ranked season, I guess I was just lucky.

So for ranked to not be painful I would recommend you play dds. Especially dds that are overpowered, so for tier 8 the Cossack is ideal, followed by the Kidd or Akizuki I guess. For tier 9-10 the Smaland is ideal, then Marceau, then Halland, then maybe Daring? Playing cruisers is just going to be suffering.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are they going to ever add submarines? Submarines are sweet but I can’t see how their proposed mechanics make them anything other than another CV-esque scenario, where you have a class of ships that are functionally playing their own game, can’t really be countered in any meaningful way vs. the majority of boats, but can absolutely wreck your day at will

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Velius posted:

So for ranked to not be painful I would recommend you play dds. Especially dds that are overpowered, so for tier 8 the Cossack is ideal, followed by the Kidd or Akizuki I guess. For tier 9-10 the Smaland is ideal, then Marceau, then Halland, then maybe Daring? Playing cruisers is just going to be suffering.

The other way to look at it is - BB players tend to have the widest skill gap. The absolute worst players in this game play BBs and I won't hear any arguments to the contrary (I'm not saying all BB players are bad, just that the worst BB players are worse than the worst Cruiser or DD players). So take that lottery out of your team.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I'm inclined to agree: I hover around 51/52% WR which is pretty crappy, but playing & completing the British light cruiser line made me a way better BB player than just playing the BB line, however it can lead to some bad habits that work in CLs but not BBs - Island peeking and trying to fit into small gaps do not suit Iowa & Montana :v: - that takes time to un-learn.

You can tell fairly quickly how good a BB player is. Usually in the first 2-3 minutes of being spotted.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 30, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cancelbot posted:

I'm inclined to agree: I hover around 51/52% WR which is pretty crappy, but playing & completing the British light cruiser line made me a way better BB player than just playing the BB line, however it can lead to some bad habits that work in CLs but not BBs - Island peeking and trying to fit into small gaps do not suit Iowa & Montana :v: - that takes time to un-learn.

You can tell fairly quickly how good a BB player is. Usually in the first 2-3 minutes of being spotted.

Best way to tell a bad battleship player if you're in a destroyer is to target them with your guns, flick to torpedos for a few seconds then back to guns.

If they keep sailing in a straight line they're bad.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’d disagree less with your premise of a battleship player skill variance and more with what the implications are for a round. Bad battleship players do less damage and maybe die early. Bad destroyer players mean you’re not getting spotting and cap control, either because they die two minutes in or because they’re hiding behind battleships. The impact on whether you win or lose a round is much stronger for bad dd play in competitive game modes.

I ended up with something like 16 wins and 2 losses playing a Smaland in silver series ranked this week. Part of that’s playing a frankly overpowered dd, but it’s also because winning the dd battle wins the rounds.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Best way to tell a bad battleship player if you're in a destroyer is to target them with your guns, flick to torpedos for a few seconds then back to guns.

If they keep sailing in a straight line they're bad.

Sometimes I miss that, but I get tunnel-vision. I tend to follow the rule of "if I'm spotted and I see nobody & not being fired on it's time to start juking", or "that oster was near me and now I can't see them, gently caress that island in particular"

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Velius posted:

I ended up with something like 16 wins and 2 losses playing a Smaland in silver series ranked this week. Part of that’s playing a frankly overpowered dd, but it’s also because winning the dd battle wins the rounds.

I've crept up to 1.6m FXP over the holiday and am now starting to think about getting Smaland. Before, the question was as much could I get the FXP and now that I'm guaranteed to get it, the question is should I do it. DDs are probably my least played class (maybe similar to CV) but I do still play an enjoy them.

Its a lot of FXP but on the flip-side - there isn't much else to do with it. I'm 50k XP away from the Republique and about half way through the Lightning. I've unocked every other T10 except the Pan-Asian DD (lol). I also have Alaska and no interest in Azuma or Friesland. Agir might be tempting depending on how the commander skill update shakes out.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Smaland is absurd, get it if you can.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How many days left before the Smal's goes bye bye?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I reckon 60?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is the first time ive played ranked and I got to rank 1 in Bronze, then the next day ranks had been reset and I was back to 7. Do I have to get to rank 1 then qualify for silver that same day?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Ever had an evening where things went so bad it feels like you should apologize to your team?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

This is the first time ive played ranked and I got to rank 1 in Bronze, then the next day ranks had been reset and I was back to 7. Do I have to get to rank 1 then qualify for silver that same day?

No, you just happened to finish Bronze on the day the Bronze sprint ended. You have from whenever you rank out of Bronze until the end of the current sprint to finish qualifiers.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Ever had an evening where things went so bad it feels like you should apologize to your team?

Today, I was doing everything bad. I should never play after a lack of sleep, it really screws up my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I have had good results with the Z-52 in Ranked. It's 'weak' by conventional DD standards but the 6km hydro and fast reloading torpedoes give it considerable situational advantages.

The Black has done OK but the radar is short and the torps are essentially worthless.